Author Topic: Coheed and Cambria v. Second Stage  (Read 138111 times)

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
Re: Coheed and Cambria v. Second Stage
« Reply #1225 on: May 13, 2022, 06:38:21 AM »
Just noticed that Vaxis II got pushed back to the end of June. I thought it was still this month but as I was getting my pre-order in, I noticed the new date.
Yep, Claudio mentioned in an interview that its due to delays on the box sets

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1226 on: May 18, 2022, 12:46:18 PM »

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1227 on: June 22, 2022, 08:46:08 AM »
The new album is getting good reviews, and this line made me laugh:

Ladders Of Supremacy, Rise Nainasha (Cut The Cord), and Window Of The Waking Mind blow the roof off of your expectations in a trio of songs so grandiose they make Dream Theater look like the DC of the prog-rock multiverse.

https://distortedsoundmag.com/album-review-vaxis-ii-a-window-of-the-waking-mind-coheed-and-cambria/

I'll form my opinion on Friday of course, but I laughed at DT being the DC of prog-Rock :lol Also, I haven't received any shipment confirmation. I got the box set as a gift for my SO but don't even know when it'll get here.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1228 on: June 22, 2022, 08:49:11 AM »
The new album is getting good reviews, and this line made me laugh:

Ladders Of Supremacy, Rise Nainasha (Cut The Cord), and Window Of The Waking Mind blow the roof off of your expectations in a trio of songs so grandiose they make Dream Theater look like the DC of the prog-rock multiverse.

https://distortedsoundmag.com/album-review-vaxis-ii-a-window-of-the-waking-mind-coheed-and-cambria/

I'll form my opinion on Friday of course, but I laughed at DT being the DC of prog-Rock :lol Also, I haven't received any shipment confirmation. I got the box set as a gift for my SO but don't even know when it'll get here.

I have a really good feeling this album. The singles have all been great. I'm in the UK, and I got my shipping email at about 11:30 last night. Fingers crossed it arrives before Friday.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1229 on: June 22, 2022, 09:16:28 AM »
few minutes after I posted that I got an email to join their Discord channel, but no shipping yet

Edit: Now I got shipping info  :metal
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 04:46:51 PM by Vmadera00 »

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1230 on: June 22, 2022, 08:27:27 PM »
IM SO EXCITED

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1231 on: June 23, 2022, 06:01:46 AM »
Fyi, in case you don't know, they are live streaming tomorrow at 12 ET on Claudio's twitch channel.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1232 on: June 23, 2022, 03:12:21 PM »
What a ride. I guess I was already predisposed to love this new album based on the singles and how much I've been listening to them.

The intro is gorgeous and those final three tracks are just such a beautiful end to this record. I'm unsure about the vocal effects in some of the songs but I've got a great feeling about the growing power of this beauty.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1233 on: June 23, 2022, 04:06:44 PM »
Currently on my second listen of the whole and album and really enjoying this one. Just up to Bad Man, which is a pretty cool song. Good stuff.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1234 on: June 24, 2022, 02:18:44 AM »
Just on my third listen and I'm definitely enjoying it.

As I already loved the 4 singles, that leaves just 9 new songs to digest. The intro is just that, but I think it's perfectly executed and sets the tone for the album. It also has The Crowing scream (a nice touch) in it, and I've been reading theories about what that means, in the context of the overall story.

The transition into Beautiful Losers is great and the song itself is a definite highlight so far. Following that are two of the singles which leads into the low point of the album (for me so far). A Disappearing Act and Love Murder One aren't connecting with me and I feel they are the greatest departure from Coheed's previous sound on this record.

Blood gets us a bit more back on track, and continues into The Liars Club, which is probably THE catchiest song on this thing.

Bad Man has more auto tune on Claudio's vocals but has so much groove that I can get past that, really cool song.

It's when we get into the last three tracks that they hit us with the heavier prog sound, whilst also being catchy (Rise, Naianasha (Cut the Cord)) and epic.

I can already tell that Ladders of Supremacy and the title track are going to be two of my favorites. I want that to come in time though. If history has taught me anything, it's that songs that are a slow burn, have the greatest staying power.

All I need now is for the vinyl to arrive so I can have a proper listen with the lyric sheet in front of me.

Edit: Just want to add, Josh's drumming is incredible on this album.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 03:44:43 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1235 on: June 24, 2022, 05:48:22 AM »
New album sounds decent on first listen

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1236 on: June 24, 2022, 08:45:54 AM »
1 listen through, and not bad. Not going to say its classic Coheed, but not bad. I really liked Vaxis I, this feels a bit different so it might take a while to "get it".

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1237 on: June 24, 2022, 09:00:13 AM »
It is different to Vaxis I but I personally prefer it. Vaxis I was great at points but dragged in too many others.

I posted this on Reddit earlier but this is one reason this album is hitting me...

So I've just been listening to Blood and it hit me real hard.

My son is 2 and a half and is possibly on the autistic spectrum. He is undiagnosed due to his age but my wife and I have worked in care for a long time and he is delayed with his speech, social interaction, imaginative play etc. My wife is finding it all very difficult, and as much as I am, I am thankful for my son, he is healthy and happy and I don't care about labels. He is my son, everything about him is just him, and I love all of him.

The new record is clearly inspired by Atlas and the lyrics in Blood just made me question whether Atlas is also on the autistic spectrum. It doesn't matter if he is or isn't, and I'm not looking for an answer about whether he is or not, that's none of my business.

The lyrics in Blood read

"Is there anyone in there?
Desired or left with all despair?
It feels so hard to need
A soul the world may never see

It won't matter to us
If you wake up my love
If you take my burning hand
Follow me into the fires of the sun
Oh, they fear what they don't know
And they'll be afraid of you for sure
'Cause you're my blood
You're my blood

Your eyes swim beneath
The uncertain and what's normally perceived
Do you know that I'm here?"

Claudio's lyrics really tap into how about I feel about my son. He can be very much in his own world and seems oblivious to my wife and I at times. He certainly does interact but there are times I question whether really sees me. But also, it doesn't matter if this is who you are and you never interact in a way that I dream of, I love you for who you are completely, and you're my blood. Also the part about others fearing what they don't know and it's hard to need a soul the world will never see. I try not to focus on where he will be in 2, 5, 10, 20 years, where he will fit into this crazy world, or the challenges he may face, but that stuff creeps in.

But anyway, thanks Claudio, for putting into words how I feel about my son ❤️

Edit: also just read the lyrics along to Window of the Waking Mind and that also hits right in the feels.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1238 on: June 24, 2022, 12:44:08 PM »
Twosuitsluke, that's really heart felt. It's a beautiful feeling when you can connect with music that way.

And you are right, some of the middle songs in Vaxis I drag (Queen of the Dark for example), but for the most part I feel like it flows pretty well, and the first 4 tracks, and the last 5 are all excellent.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1239 on: June 24, 2022, 03:00:05 PM »
Twosuitsluke, that's really heart felt. It's a beautiful feeling when you can connect with music that way.

And you are right, some of the middle songs in Vaxis I drag (Queen of the Dark for example), but for the most part I feel like it flows pretty well, and the first 4 tracks, and the last 5 are all excellent.

Cheers dude, I never thought I'd find that connection to my son in a Coheed song. I know Claudio has always put his real life experiences into the Coheed and Cambria concept, and I guess I wasn't expecting this instance to hit so close to home.

It's a comfort knowing I can sing these songs to my son, and connect with those lyrics even if he is oblivious to what I'm saying.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1240 on: June 24, 2022, 06:59:28 PM »
new album has the most catchy, hooky tracks since Good Apollo 1.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1241 on: June 27, 2022, 08:04:43 AM »
These don't follow a particular order but just songs that I would put on my "top Coheed songs". Surprised to see no song from SSTB made it, but I have 3 songs from YOTBR and TCBTS.

1. In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth
2. The Crowing
3. The Camper Velorium I: Faint of Hearts
4. 2113
5. Keeping The Blade/Always & Never (Combining these 2).
6. Welcome Home
7. Once Upon a Dead Body
8. Wake Up
9. No World For Tomorrow
10. Gravemaker & Gunslingers
11. Here we are Juggernaut
12. Domino the Destitute
13. Evagria the Faithful
14. The Hard Sell
15. Iron Fist
16. Dark Side of Me
17. 2's My Favorite 1
18. Island
19. Here To Mars
20. The Dark Sentencer
21. The Gutter
22. All On Fire
23. Old Flames
24. Blood Red Summer
25. The Hound (of Blood and Rank)

Almost a year and a new album later, and this list would look a bit different.

After a few spins over the weekend, the new album is starting to grow on me and I would say at least 3 songs will certainly make the top 25. At least one song from GAIBS4 - V2 and 2 from YOTBR would be added as well.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1242 on: June 27, 2022, 02:33:06 PM »
That's a pretty good list. Personally Faint of Hearts, Domino and Evagria wouldn't get anywhere near my top 25 but the rest are great picks. I'd be interested to see what your top 25 would look like now  :corn

So new album, it's growing and growing to the point where I'm starting to love every song.

Beautiful Losers is a great song and fast becoming one of my favourites. The intro leading into it makes it even better. A Disappearing Act is also really growing on me. There are elements that I'm not too into but the parts I like, I love. The title track is also near perfect. Full album rank? Go on then...

1. Rise, Naianasha (Cut the Cord)
2. Window of the Waking Mind
3. The Liars Club
4. Comatose
5. Beautiful Losers
6. Ladders of Supremacy
7. Shoulders
8. Bad Man
9. Blood
10. A Disappearing Act
11. The Embers of Fire
12. Love Murder One
13. Our Love

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1243 on: July 02, 2022, 12:27:46 AM »
I realize that I'm probably opening myself up to get flamed by saying this, but I find the album unlistenable. Every time I tried to listen to it, it just didn't sound right to me. Opened it up in GoldWave and discovered that the album is completely brickwalled in mastering. I tried listening to it on my computer, my good set of headphones, my car and a speaker that I use when I'm at work. It sounded horrible in every instance.

This is the first time that they've ever disappointed me.

I honestly don't understand why so many bands/artists keep choosing the losing side in the loudness wars.

I still love to listen to this band. I've been a fan since I discovered them around the time of "In Keeping", but I'll have to stick to the albums prior to this one.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1244 on: July 02, 2022, 12:41:12 AM »
I realize that I'm probably opening myself up to get flamed by saying this, but I find the album unlistenable. Every time I tried to listen to it, it just didn't sound right to me. Opened it up in GoldWave and discovered that the album is completely brickwalled in mastering. I tried listening to it on my computer, my good set of headphones, my car and a speaker that I use when I'm at work. It sounded horrible in every instance.

I honestly don't understand why so many bands/artists keep choosing the losing side in the loudness wars.

I still love to listen to this band. I've been a fan since I discovered them around the time of "In Keeping", but I'll have to stick to the albums prior to this one.
I'm not entirely convinced it's the bands fault. In almost all cases of brickwalling, the problem can be pointed squarely at those in charge of mixing, mastering, and engineering. In this case that's Zakk Cervini and Chris Athens. From what I can tell they've never worked with Coheed before.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 04:38:18 PM by Puppies_On_Acid »
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1245 on: July 06, 2022, 02:25:17 PM »
Beautiful Losers is perfect.

Carry on

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1246 on: July 30, 2022, 09:42:12 PM »
Just got home from the show and they were on fire! The new songs work well live, and they played Ghost, which was an amazing surprise, loved the Jam session on that song.

The stage set up was unique and interesting for a Coheed show  :metal

Also, this made me laugh a little

https://thehardtimes.net/blog/will-i-understand-the-new-coheed-cambria-album-if-i-have-had-sex-already/

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1247 on: July 31, 2022, 10:26:25 AM »

I'm not entirely convinced it's the bands fault. In almost all cases of brickwalling, the problem can be pointed squarely at those in charge of mixing, mastering, and engineering. In this case that's Zakk Cervini and Chris Athens. From what I can tell they've never worked with Coheed before.

I would say this issue applies heavily to Year of the Black Rainbow for me. The reverb levels are off the chart bad and the compression on that album is some of the worst Fingernails-on-a-chalkboard mixing ever done.

The new album? I honestly don't mind most of the mixing work. It could be better, sure? but it's not even close to as egregious as YOTBR to me. I don't think you could pay me to listen to that album for that very reason.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1248 on: August 13, 2022, 01:49:28 AM »
There's been a huge poll been running over on the Coheed reddit sub, rating all of their songs. The first batch of results has just been posted and ho boy do I disagree with some of these.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheFence/comments/wmwxi1/ultimate_coheed_song_rankings_results_119101/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1249 on: August 15, 2022, 12:58:53 AM »

I would say this issue applies heavily to Year of the Black Rainbow for me. The reverb levels are off the chart bad and the compression on that album is some of the worst Fingernails-on-a-chalkboard mixing ever done.

The new album? I honestly don't mind most of the mixing work. It could be better, sure? but it's not even close to as egregious as YOTBR to me. I don't think you could pay me to listen to that album for that very reason.

I hear it on that album as well, but it doesn't seem to bother me as much. It might be because I like the song writing better on that one. It certainly took me awhile, but I was eventually able to appreciate it. This one feels uncomfortable when I try to listen to it.

That being said, some of my favorite albums of all time took me quite awhile to get into, so I'm hoping that I can revisit this one in the future and feel better about it.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1250 on: August 15, 2022, 07:21:09 PM »

I hear it on that album as well, but it doesn't seem to bother me as much. It might be because I like the song writing better on that one. It certainly took me awhile, but I was eventually able to appreciate it. This one feels uncomfortable when I try to listen to it.

That being said, some of my favorite albums of all time took me quite awhile to get into, so I'm hoping that I can revisit this one in the future and feel better about it.
The album would be so much better if the entire middle of it wasn't such a slog to get through.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1251 on: August 15, 2022, 07:33:57 PM »
Flying out Friday night to OKC to see MCR and C&C. Should be a super emo evening.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1252 on: August 16, 2022, 08:47:53 PM »
There's been a huge poll been running over on the Coheed reddit sub, rating all of their songs. The first batch of results has just been posted and ho boy do I disagree with some of these.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheFence/comments/wmwxi1/ultimate_coheed_song_rankings_results_119101/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share
Been following this and man do I disagree with some of the rankings, but taste and all, ah?

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1253 on: August 17, 2022, 02:11:47 PM »

Been following this and man do I disagree with some of the rankings, but taste and all, ah?

It either shows the total strength of their back catalogue, or that my taste in Coheed songs is totally skewed?!

The biggest upsets for me so far are...

Songs ranked too low:

The Black Rainbow at #116
Lucky Stars at #111
Pearl of the Stars at #97
Guns of Summer at #96
Always and Never at #86
Justice in Murder at #75
Iron Fist at #74
The Road and the Damned at #71 (what the hell guys)
Once Upon Your Dead Body at #67
Dark Side of Me at #65

Songs ranked too high:

It Walks Among Us at #78
Radio Bye Bye at #64 (how?!)
Love Murder One at #61
The Pavilion (A Long Way Back) at #53 (just look at all the songs it beat, just how?!)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1254 on: August 17, 2022, 02:57:09 PM »
It either shows the total strength of their back catalogue, or that my taste in Coheed songs is totally skewed?!

I'll go with that. Off the songs you listed, I agree that some are ranked too low.  The Road and The Damned is not one of them though. Would I put it higher than 71? Probably, but I also don't have an issue with where it landed. Justice in Murder though? That song belongs in the top 50 at least, same with Dark Side of Me, Iron Fist and Guns of Summer. I love Always and never, but it feels incomplete in its own.

For the songs you believe are rank too high, It Walks Among Us is a "rediscovered" song for me, so I've been listening to it a lot lately, same with The Pavillion. I actually think the Pavillion should've been a bit higher honestly. It's such a beautiful song.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1255 on: August 19, 2022, 01:37:57 PM »

I'll go with that. Off the songs you listed, I agree that some are ranked too low.  The Road and The Damned is not one of them though. Would I put it higher than 71? Probably, but I also don't have an issue with where it landed. Justice in Murder though? That song belongs in the top 50 at least, same with Dark Side of Me, Iron Fist and Guns of Summer. I love Always and never, but it feels incomplete in its own.

For the songs you believe are rank too high, It Walks Among Us is a "rediscovered" song for me, so I've been listening to it a lot lately, same with The Pavillion. I actually think the Pavillion should've been a bit higher honestly. It's such a beautiful song.

I just adore The Road and the Damned. I know I'm (clearly) in the minority but I actually rank it as my favourite Coheed song. Period.

As for the songs from Vaxis I, I know I am quite biased as that album (for me) has so much filler. It is an album full of extreme highs and lows. Unfortunately, I consider It Walks Among Us and The Pavilion to be low points.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1256 on: August 19, 2022, 06:51:52 PM »
I finally got around to Vaxis Act 2 today and I don't know if I've outgrown the band or what, but neither of the Vaxis albums really do much for me. Granted, part 2 was only one listen but nothing really *popped* out at me.

I do find it kind of funny that most of the songs are under four minutes until the last three tracks. Made a lot of the album feel like a breeze to get through.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1257 on: August 21, 2022, 01:06:00 AM »
I finally got around to Vaxis Act 2 today and I don't know if I've outgrown the band or what, but neither of the Vaxis albums really do much for me. Granted, part 2 was only one listen but nothing really *popped* out at me.

I do find it kind of funny that most of the songs are under four minutes until the last three tracks. Made a lot of the album feel like a breeze to get through.

I feel really biased as I am completely in love with this album, but I find it baffling that literally nothing popped out on first listen. The album is filled with some of their catchiest tunes ever. I think Vaxis I is very hit and miss personally, but this new one is just hit after hit.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1258 on: August 21, 2022, 05:13:14 PM »

I feel really biased as I am completely in love with this album, but I find it baffling that literally nothing popped out on first listen. The album is filled with some of their catchiest tunes ever. I think Vaxis I is very hit and miss personally, but this new one is just hit after hit.

I mean, it's BETTER than Vaxis I. On repeat listens "A Disappearing Act", "Love Murder One", and "Bad Man" are popping out more and more. My three favorite ones are the three longer songs at the end. I don't think anything here really ranks with their earlier stuff for me personally, but like I said, it's still too early for me to really *solidify* an opinion on it.

There's good stuff here. I'm just kind of ho-hum on it in general.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1259 on: August 22, 2022, 06:48:16 AM »
Back from C&C/MCR in OKC. This was the last show for C&C on this run and they sounded so great. First show for MCR and it was apparent lol Good times still though.

Also... ran into this guy while wandering around  :biggrin:

As for V2, it has been a grower on me but I still think V1 is better. However, I can say the Aftermans took me a long time and now I think they are AMAZING. Sooo I'm sure it will get there too lol