Author Topic: Coheed and Cambria v. Second Stage  (Read 138055 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Coheed and Cambria v. Second Stage
« Reply #1120 on: October 05, 2018, 05:02:06 AM »
Wow, the new album is pretty damn strong.

Way better than the last album. I thoroughly enjoyed my first listen, and am glad they are back on track. And this is a long ass album as well, but it keeps constant quality. I am very impressed.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 06:02:09 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1121 on: October 08, 2018, 01:42:21 AM »
Yea, the album is long but not to the point where I find it a chore to get through. After 3 listens I'd say the low point is around the middle of the album, from Queen of the Dark - Night-time Walkers. It is definitely strongest at the beginning and the end. This will likely change and I'm expecting to start falling in love with most of the songs.

Standout favourites at the moment are:

The Dark Sentencer
Toys
The Gutter
Old Flames
Lucky Stars

I've read someone's theory on the plot (on the C&C reddit page) but I need to go through the album with the lyrics, once my album actually arrives  >:( , to see if I can work out what the hell is going on.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1122 on: October 08, 2018, 06:36:58 AM »
I'm not sure what the story of the album is, but one thing I can tell you is that I was staring at the album cover as I was listening to it and was getting super inspired by it. It was pretty captivating.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1123 on: October 08, 2018, 10:38:32 AM »
All I've read is that this takes place *after* the Good Apollo story stuff, focusing now on a character named Vaxis, and similarly to how the albums about Claudio went, we're first focusing on the character's parents and their escape from super space prison or whatever. I remember an interview saying the Vaxis saga is five to nine acts, so I'm wondering how many albums we're getting out of this.  :o

This album needs way more spins for me. It's leaving me pretty cold overall. But I want to love it. It's Coheed, from crying out loud.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1124 on: October 08, 2018, 10:52:31 AM »
I’ve played it once and really liked it so far. I’m not much of a C&C fa tbh, and I’ve tried a few albums.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1125 on: October 10, 2018, 04:33:39 PM »
So I tried not to listen to the singles before album release. Then they announced the album release show at Hard Rock Times Square. I decided to wait for that show to listen to the album, I thought they were playing the entire album but only played the sounds already released.

Right after the show on my way home I listen to the album and it’s pretty solid. I’m even more impressed with the guitar work, it’s pretty good. Definitely the middle it’s the weakest but Dark Sentencer, all on Fire are my favorite. This is a top 3 coheed album for me.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1126 on: October 24, 2018, 02:08:35 PM »
It's starting to grow on me, it's just a shame that the middle seems to have weaker songs as the beginning and end of this album  :hefdaddy

Attempt at ranking?

Old Flames
The Gutter
Unheavenly Creatures
Toys
The Dark Sentencer
Lucky Stars
All on Fire
True Ugly
Night-Time Walkers
It Walks Among Us
The Pavillion (A Long Way Back)
Love Protocol
Queen of the Dark
Black Sunday
Prologue

Outside of the singles (which I pretty much love all of them) Toys and Lucky Stars are the only songs that have really hit me hard so far.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1127 on: October 24, 2018, 05:41:20 PM »
I'm in the minority. Queen of the Dark is my favorite song on this album so far. I really like Toys also. Black Sunday and the final track are probably my least favorite.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1128 on: October 25, 2018, 10:49:34 AM »
Toys....its all about Toys.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1129 on: October 25, 2018, 07:23:22 PM »
Looks like a lock for my AOTY.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1130 on: November 01, 2018, 02:11:09 AM »
Anyone else noticing some My Chemical Romance influence/similarities in some of these songs (Old Flames for example)? I personally loved MCR back in the day and still think some of their albums are great. They were like the emo whipping boy but once you got past all the hate they were actually great song writers, so I don't mean this comparison as a negative thing (although some people could see it as one  :lol)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1131 on: November 01, 2018, 09:05:20 AM »
This freakin band drives me crazy.    They are just one of those bands where I either get completely blown away by one of the most amazing albums I've ever heard (Secrets, Apollo, Afterman 1&2), or I'm so bored that I want to turn the album into a beer coaster (NWFT, Rainbow, Color). 

I'll have to check out the new one online before buying.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1132 on: November 05, 2018, 09:44:11 AM »
Their show was amazing. Even though it was the usual set, I'm happy I finally got to sing along to Wake Up.

Its the same set as the Europe tour but they added Gravemakers and Gunslingers, saying its been quite a while since they last played that song. It was a nice surprise.

Met Ben the violinist for Thank You Scientist in the sidebar as well. He was cool, I told him glad they got their RV troubles dealt with. Set was amazing as well, they opened with like an overture of past songs, almost like a medley.

The new songs came out really well, the Gutter and Old Flames were fun songs.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1133 on: December 18, 2018, 09:17:00 AM »
Someone in our local bar is a big Coheed fan apparently.

Good Apollo, I'm Willing Well: The Milling Mill and the Bottling Bottle
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1134 on: December 18, 2018, 09:47:26 AM »
So what is that I feel
Hold up my beers and take in these hops.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1135 on: January 03, 2019, 01:19:57 PM »
I think i might be starting to warm up a bit to the new album. Still not nearly as good as the Aftermans, Good Apollos, IKSSE, or even SSTB, but its sounding better than when I first heard it.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1136 on: January 03, 2019, 04:57:41 PM »
I think i might be starting to warm up a bit to the new album. Still not nearly as good as the Aftermans, Good Apollos, IKSSE, or even SSTB, but its sounding better than when I first heard it.

Imo it has a few really good songs but lots of filler that's borderline annoying.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1137 on: January 03, 2019, 05:19:21 PM »
Yeah same basically
About a third of the album is really good, a third is fine, another third is just completely forgettable
It doesn't help that aside from a few tracks everything sounds waaayyy too similar in style
Honestly it's probably my least favorite Coheed album besides black rainbow, it at least doesn't have any outright bad songs but not nearly enough good ones to justify its length

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1138 on: January 03, 2019, 05:24:27 PM »
Honestly it's probably my least favorite Coheed album besides black rainbow, it at least doesn't have any outright bad songs but not nearly enough good ones to justify its length

I'd say it's atleast a bit better than both TCBTS and Black Rainbow.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1139 on: January 03, 2019, 05:46:10 PM »
I actually really liked the album. Besides some of the songs in the middle (queen of the dark for example) the album it’s pretry good and I thought the guitar work was excellent.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1140 on: January 03, 2019, 07:29:31 PM »
I certainly like Black Rainbow more than most and the new album certainly isn't nearly as good. The only album I can say it definitely beats is TCBTS. Too long, too much filler, and too much average material that in combination really drowns out the great songs and moments on the album.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1141 on: January 03, 2019, 07:45:25 PM »
the color beyond the sun has about as much great stuff as this album and it's 30 minutes shorter so i can't really say this one beats it  :P

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1142 on: February 12, 2019, 10:17:14 AM »
Coheed is going to tour with Mastodon in the summer. That's going to be an awesome show.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1143 on: February 12, 2019, 10:39:29 AM »
I wish that would've stopped here. Likely will be going to the Phoenix stop.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1144 on: February 13, 2019, 08:27:05 AM »
Got my tickets for June 7th  :metal So far im attending 2 shows a month up until June

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1145 on: February 13, 2019, 12:30:38 PM »
Coheed is going to tour with Mastodon in the summer. That's going to be an awesome show.
I really, really want to go to the show in Minneapolis. I love Mastodon and have not managed to see them live yet. Plus it's at a relatively new concert venue in Minneapolis that I haven't been to yet and want to check out. Problem is that it's the same day we're coming home from a 2 week road trip and I'll have drive 7-ish hours that day to get home. I'll probably be exhausted and not sure if I really want to go out again that evening.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1146 on: April 09, 2019, 05:29:47 AM »
Been listening a lot to the Afterman albums. Some really good material on there

LOVE iron fist

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1147 on: April 15, 2019, 08:58:38 AM »
Not sure where I've been, but I was on a new music hunt and had these guys come up in my search. I have always been aware of them but never bothered to check them out. Started listening to samples from several albums and really liked what I was hearing. Decided to take the plunge the same way I did with Riverside last year, purchased every studio album in one shot. 5 show up today and 4 tomorrow. Looking forward to digging into these guys.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1148 on: April 15, 2019, 09:46:55 AM »
Been listening a lot to the Afterman albums. Some really good material on there

LOVE iron fist

I know I'm in the minority here, but I think Afterman: Ascension and Descension are Coheed's best albums. I really like Good apollo but Afterman feels more complete to me.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #1149 on: April 16, 2019, 08:53:33 AM »
I know I'm in the minority here, but I think Afterman: Ascension and Descension are Coheed's best albums. I really like Good apollo but Afterman feels more complete to me.

I would tend to agree with you. I just think of them as one album and it sits up on top of album rankings list. When I want to listen, I cue up the playlist that combines both albums as a single listening experience. I would love a Neverender tour that features both albums played live back-to-back.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1150 on: April 17, 2019, 11:09:32 AM »
I'll agree about The Afterman bring their best album. Its a great double album. I bought the Boxset that came with two burnable cds to burn Descension and the demos onto. Sadly, I never burned the demos onto the cds and I can't access the transmission site anymore to redownload them, I lost the files when my old laptop just decided to die.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #1151 on: October 12, 2019, 04:51:08 PM »
Bumping. Haven’t seen much discussion on their last album. I loved Color Before the Sun.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline DTA

« Reply #1152 on: October 12, 2019, 06:03:01 PM »
I like Vaxis a lot and think it's their strongest in quite some time, but I think their songwriting has "dumbed down" a bit over the years. It seems like the choruses dominate the songs and the verses are standard pop riffs. The unique vocal style and melodies keep it from being generic, but I think they need to shake it up a little bit and get out of their comfort zone musically.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1153 on: October 12, 2019, 08:40:29 PM »
There is no band that is more “hit and miss” with me than C&C. They are either mind blowing, or boring as paint chips depending on the album.

Count me in on the Afterman albums though. I agree that it’s probably the best thing they’ve ever done.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #1154 on: November 19, 2019, 07:59:57 AM »