Author Topic: Coheed and Cambria v. Second Stage  (Read 137218 times)

Offline jakepriest

Re: Coheed and Cambria v. Second Stage
« Reply #1015 on: January 24, 2017, 02:00:03 PM »
Who wouldn't want to hear the willing well in its entirety live

I don't get why they almost never play any of it's songs live. It's easily the best 20 minutes of their discography.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #1016 on: January 24, 2017, 02:37:21 PM »
Whoo!  Just confirmed my guest list spot for the NYC show.  #BeingATDHLifetimeMemberHasItsPerks

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1017 on: January 24, 2017, 05:52:04 PM »
Whoo!  Just confirmed my guest list spot for the NYC show.  #BeingATDHLifetimeMemberHasItsPerks

Congrats, Chris.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1018 on: January 25, 2017, 04:17:10 AM »

haven't been up on it, but I've kind of given up on trying to do the guest list thing, especially in this case where they aren't headlining.

I suppose I can try sending an email and see, but nearly every time I have done it, Max rarely got back to me unless I sent multiple requests.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1019 on: January 25, 2017, 06:23:54 PM »
Ugh, I gotta stay on top of things better.

Just realized what the VIP Platinum package has, and even though I wouldn't normally I said F it and was ready to pay up. Already sold out, gold is sold out as well. Got my ticket for Philly though.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1020 on: January 25, 2017, 07:21:09 PM »

haven't been up on it, but I've kind of given up on trying to do the guest list thing, especially in this case where they aren't headlining.

I suppose I can try sending an email and see, but nearly every time I have done it, Max rarely got back to me unless I sent multiple requests.

well, Max got back to me, so I guess things may have changed. I can put that $ towards the Merch table and dinner I guess. Very excited for this show.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #1021 on: January 26, 2017, 11:28:41 AM »
I'm surprised you've had trouble.  I've never once had a problem getting a response from him.  Are you in the TDH Lifers Facebook group?  He's pretty active on there.  If you have any problems you can usually tag him in that group and he'll respond, or just send him a private message through Facebook.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1022 on: January 26, 2017, 04:12:16 PM »

well, Max got back to me, so I guess things may have changed. I can put that $ towards the Merch table and dinner I guess. Very excited for this show.
Just purchased my ticket. I'll see you there!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1023 on: February 17, 2017, 05:26:05 AM »
I've just gotten into this band.  I'm a huge Dear Hunter fan and someone recommended me C&C based on that.

Started with Afterman : Descension - Fucking loved it.   Brought Afterman : Ascension - Yeah they is amazing.  Good Apollo : Burning Star - Still amazing.   In Keeping Secrets - Not quite as amazing, but still good shit.  The Color Before the Sun - Erm, WTF is this?  After everything i'd heard before this was a bit of a downer, some good stuff (Colors, Mars) - but quite forgettable.

Still got 3 albums to get, annoyingly can't get em on iTunes UK.

Anyway great, great band (even with that blip).

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1024 on: February 17, 2017, 06:21:31 AM »
I've just gotten into this band.  I'm a huge Dear Hunter fan and someone recommended me C&C based on that.

Started with Afterman : Descension - Fucking loved it.   Brought Afterman : Ascension - Yeah they is amazing.  Good Apollo : Burning Star - Still amazing.   In Keeping Secrets - Not quite as amazing, but still good shit.  The Color Before the Sun - Erm, WTF is this?  After everything i'd heard before this was a bit of a downer, some good stuff (Colors, Mars) - but quite forgettable.

Still got 3 albums to get, annoyingly can't get em on iTunes UK.

Anyway great, great band (even with that blip).

Hell yeah, easily what I would really consider to be my favourite band. I mean I kinda rate Metallica and Pantera above them but that is more of a nostalgia thing, I don't really listen to them much anymore. Whereas I can still listen to Coheed daily (and that's after being a fan for about 9 years!!)

The Color Before the Sun was a bit of an anti-climax, but only because every other album is so damn good!! I'd probably rank the following:

1. Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness (just a goddamn masterpiece)
2. Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume Two: No World for Tomorrow (not always ranked so high among fans but I really love it)
3. In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 (also flawless, The Light and the Glass was the song that helped me 'get' these guys, after hearing Welcome Home)

4. The Second Stage Turbine Blade (has a few weak spots but that's only compared to the top 3, hell of a debut!!)
5. Year of the Black Rainbow (not so consistently great and a bit of a change in sound, has some of my all time favourite individual songs though)

6. The Afterman: Descension (these albums have great songs but also have a few weak points, could've been a great album if they put all the best on one disc)
7. The Afterman: Ascension (The Afterman & Subtraction  :heart)

8. The Color Before the Sun (some good songs but lacks substance, a shame but still an enjoyable album)

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1025 on: February 21, 2017, 02:59:03 AM »
Just got 'No World for Tomorrow'.  Only a couple of spins so far - seems a little less epic that expected, more of a straight forward rock album - I'm cool with that, some catchy tunes in here for sure.   Last song is a bit flat though.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1026 on: February 21, 2017, 07:18:36 AM »
On The Brink is amazing. The reprise is an absolute climax and I love it.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1027 on: February 21, 2017, 08:41:34 AM »
Umm, some EU dates (including Amsterdam) have been confirmed for this C&C tour. :omg: :omg: :omg:

I just hope with all my might that The Dear Hunter will be supporting them for the EU leg as well, then my life will be complete

Anyways, I'm becoming addicted to GAIBSIV, so even if they don't I will probably go, I will probably become a big Coheed fan in a matter of months, the music is so fun and addictive
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1028 on: February 21, 2017, 09:36:20 AM »
Umm, some EU dates (including Amsterdam) have been confirmed for this C&C tour. :omg: :omg: :omg:

I just hope with all my might that The Dear Hunter will be supporting them for the EU leg as well, then my life will be complete

Anyways, I'm becoming addicted to GAIBSIV, so even if they don't I will probably go, I will probably become a big Coheed fan in a matter of months, the music is so fun and addictive

Hell yeah!

I need to just get London tickets right now, I hope they haven't sold out already!! Glad you are enjoying them dude, I hope TDH are coming with them but it will be a hell of a show regardless.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1029 on: February 21, 2017, 11:03:15 AM »
I can't be bothered to travel to Germany during my exam month so I will miss them once again. Why are their European tours so bloody lackluster everytime? Even less known bands like TesseracT come to my country regurarly.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1030 on: February 22, 2017, 02:05:51 AM »

Hell yeah!

I need to just get London tickets right now, I hope they haven't sold out already!! Glad you are enjoying them dude, I hope TDH are coming with them but it will be a hell of a show regardless.

I think I'll be going as well.  If The Dear Hunter are there too it'll be amazing (they are the band who got me into C&C a few weeks ago).  Koko is a good venue too.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1031 on: February 22, 2017, 02:34:06 AM »
TDH have to come with them man, they just have to :(

Just listening to Ascension now since it has been ages since I listened to it. Man, I forgot how fantastic Domino the Destitute was. But from what I remember, nothing on the album was nearly as good.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1032 on: February 22, 2017, 04:42:10 AM »

Man, thats too bad, probably won't be going then or maybe I will just work there on that day and see if I can catch some of the concert.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1033 on: February 22, 2017, 06:09:56 AM »
That sucks.  I'll still go as I've only just got into C&C.  Been a fan of TDH for years and still haven't got to see them live.

Out curiosity any other bands of a similar vain I should check out?  I tried Thrice recently but they didn't really grab me.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1034 on: February 22, 2017, 06:20:42 AM »
I feel like a broken record player whenever someone asks this but I cannot stress it enough: The Reign of Kindo

They share none of the theatric stuff that TDH do, but the vocals sound vaguely similar and with an interesting mix of jazz and prog rock they still have a very distinctive sound. The album I recommend is and will always be "Rhythm, Chord & Melody". They haven't been to my country since I've become a fan either though, but they're worth checking out.

P.S. this is about TDH, don't really know similar bands to C&C as I'm in the same vein as you, just started really getting into them

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1035 on: February 22, 2017, 06:36:33 AM »
That sucks that TDH won't be coming but I'm hoping they are going to announce a European tour soon anyway. I will definitely be getting tickets to see Coheed and Cambria as seeing play their best album, in full, will be monumental.

Can't wait.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1036 on: February 22, 2017, 07:13:18 AM »
I feel like a broken record player whenever someone asks this but I cannot stress it enough: The Reign of Kindo

They share none of the theatric stuff that TDH do, but the vocals sound vaguely similar and with an interesting mix of jazz and prog rock they still have a very distinctive sound. The album I recommend is and will always be "Rhythm, Chord & Melody". They haven't been to my country since I've become a fan either though, but they're worth checking out.

P.S. this is about TDH, don't really know similar bands to C&C as I'm in the same vein as you, just started really getting into them

I actually have an album by Reigh of Kindo - It probably came from a recommendation of Dear Hunter reddit.  The album I have is 'Play With Fire' to be honest it didn't really connect with me at the time - I will give it another spin when I get home though.  I'm not big of Jazz so maybe that counts against it. 

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1037 on: February 22, 2017, 07:18:00 AM »

Just listening to Ascension now since it has been ages since I listened to it. Man, I forgot how fantastic Domino the Destitute was. But from what I remember, nothing on the album was nearly as good.

Afterman and Evagria are amazing.

Also I don't see the similiarity between TDH and Reign of Kindo. One is an amazing band and one is pretty bad. :neverusethis:

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1038 on: February 22, 2017, 07:42:26 AM »

Afterman and Evagria are amazing.

Also I don't see the similiarity between TDH and Reign of Kindo. One is an amazing band and one is pretty bad. :neverusethis:

I love the song Afterman but I really don't see the love for Evagria or Domino. They are good songs but not as good as Subtraction and not even top 30 C&C songs for me.

In regards to similar bands to C&C, when I first started frequenting this forum I started looking for similar bands. The first I found was TDH obvs and the second was Thank You, Scientist. They aren't really that similar (I suppose the vocals can be similar) but they are signed to Claudio's label and they are awesome!! Check 'em (if you haven't already)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1039 on: February 22, 2017, 08:04:56 AM »

I love The Reign of Kindo. Awesome band.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1040 on: February 22, 2017, 11:34:46 AM »
Tbh I think Subtraction is my least favourite song on Ascension. I just don't connect with it and musically it's pretty bland. Hollow has this amazing keyboard progression that puts it above Subtraction for me.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1041 on: February 23, 2017, 10:21:49 AM »
I'm amazed that Domino hasn't been in the set much. I was sad they didn't play it all three times I've seen them.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #1042 on: February 23, 2017, 02:19:41 PM »
I've been kinda obsessed lately with the Guitar Sessions video of Welcome Home. I've never listened to any Coheed album but from what I know about them I think they'll be right up my alley - I already love TDH and many other bands that emerged from the post-hardcore scene: Thrice, TMV, dredg, starting to get into TREOTS and At the Drive-In. I know (or think) the rest of their catalog won't really sound like this song but I think I'll be OK.

I guess this is my way of asking where do I start? Should I go chronologically or do you recommend another starting point?

Thanks!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1043 on: February 23, 2017, 02:29:54 PM »
Most definitely Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV! It's working wonders for me right now as I'm also just getting into them.

If you're anything like me, you love TDH for various reasons, but most notably for their infectuous vocal melodies and straight up catchy songwriting. The album I mentioned is full of those. It also has Welcome Home on it, so there :P

Also listened to The Afterman albums and they are also top notch, though not as consistent.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1044 on: February 23, 2017, 02:31:56 PM »
Most definitely Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV! It's working wonders for me right now as I'm also just getting into them.

This album is apparently really good. I'm not into the singer's voice at all, but I've bought this album on a whim and on 425's recommendation and I keep coming back to it. It has a lot of great moments.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1045 on: February 23, 2017, 02:34:22 PM »
After my first listen in a really long time (last week) I was thinking to myself "It's alright but I don't like this that much", but somehow I still wanted to get back to it, it's just addictive :lol and it grows on you like a motherfucker so before I knew it Coheed was my most listened to band of the week according to last.fm

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1046 on: February 23, 2017, 02:37:17 PM »
in keeping secrets is the best them, though

but IV is good too for sure

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1047 on: February 23, 2017, 06:22:36 PM »
in keeping secrets is the best them, though

but IV is good too for sure

SSTB is the best. Secrets is close second.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1048 on: February 23, 2017, 07:06:34 PM »
I have thought about which of their album for a long time. Its too hard to pick.

I just don't like the color before the sun. The rest are incredible

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1049 on: February 24, 2017, 02:57:08 PM »
Such a dilemma today. Tickets to the London gig went on sale at midday today (the moment my Dad was walking down the aisle, as he got married today). I had to miss buying tickets as they went on sale but tried not to think about it. Found out the show had sold out, gutted. Turns out they added a second date due to popular demand and I just secured tickets  :biggrin: so happy right now. Great end to a great day.