Author Topic: Getting up early  (Read 1391 times)

Offline AndyDT

Getting up early
« on: July 28, 2011, 03:40:08 AM »
This might be worth a try to anybody wanting to get up early consistently - conditioning through practise:

https://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2006/04/how-to-get-up-right-away-when-your-alarm-goes-off/

It seems to make sense as when you wake up at 5 or so my mind tends to be automatic so I'm "thinking" "what do I normally do?" which is wait for a few minutes to wake up a bit which usually doesn't happen and I lose half an hour or more.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Getting up early
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 04:24:55 AM »
For the last year or so I've been getting up at 3 AM every work day. You just need to train yourself to get out of bed right when you hear the alarm. One thing I've done that helps  is put your alarm clock on the other side of the room so that even if you wanted to press the snooze button you'd have to get out of bed anyways.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 05:55:11 AM »
For the last year or so I've been getting up at 3 AM every work day. You just need to train yourself to get out of bed right when you hear the alarm. One thing I've done that helps  is put your alarm clock on the other side of the room so that even if you wanted to press the snooze button you'd have to get out of bed anyways.
That's impressive. I've heard of 3.30am. What time do you have to go bed usually?

I have tried the alarm clock at the other end of the room trick but I've just thought "too early I'm goign to rest for a bit" in the past. Maybe it's time to try again. The article above says that you should just try the routine in waking hours. I've tried visualising and affirming almost every night but it's not consistently working. I love getting up early though, particularly at weekends. The early morning sky is beautiful as well.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 08:11:04 AM »
That's impressive. I've heard of 3.30am. What time do you have to go bed usually?

Around 10 usually. I didn't say I was healthy about it. :lol

I've sort of just gotten used to not sleeping much.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 09:34:37 AM »
I have to be up at 8am twice a week but I still go to bed whenever I want as 5 hours sleep two times a week is acceptable as i get up whenever I want the other 5 days.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 09:43:19 AM »
i must have coached myself by accident since i run out of the bed like a dart at 620 sharp as the alarm goes off.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 10:32:56 AM »
i must have coached myself by accident since i run out of the bed like a dart at 620 sharp as the alarm goes off.

I've always been this way, alarm goes off I get up. My bf is the opposite and will lay in bed for an hour before getting up or fall back asleep. He wants to cuddle, I want to get up. He says cuddle for 5 minutes, after about a minute I can't do it any more, I have to get out of bed.

I emailed him the article ha

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 10:56:00 AM »
Easiest way to train yourself into it is have to do it 6 days a week for work :P I seriously used to DESPISE getting up early and thought 8am was a bit of a stretch for me during my student days, but I work four days a volunteer 2 a week and have to be up at 6 for both. I hate it, but I've grown to just tolerate it because I have no choice. I can't go without sleep though, I used to be able to but at 23 I'm now too old... I go to bed about 9.30-10.30 and even 7 hours is too little.

Take today for example, I had a good 7.5 hours sleep but the meds I'm on make me sooo sleepy, I took them before I set off, was dangerously tired on the road and by the time I got to work (voluntary today) I was so exhausted and waiting for a client to show up so I could assess him I put my head on the desk and fell asleep for 2 hours... same thing happened the other week, I just sat in a chair and bam, I was out like a light, I swear it's close to narcolepsy now. Anti - depressants: don't mix them with epilepsy meds and co-codamol, just don't. Unless you have to, like me. urgh.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 11:49:36 AM »

I thought getting up at 4:30 am everyday was early , i'm usually in bed between 10 and 10:30 pm and still feel like shit in the morning
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.