Author Topic: AVENGED SEVENFOLD: We Urged MIKE PORTNOY Against Quitting DREAM THEATER  (Read 51054 times)

Offline tjanuranus

Well outside of DT, has has toured several times with other projects, has a Tama endorsement, a Sabian endorsement, custom sticks, a custom snare, custom cymbals, several instructional DVDs and a monopoly on both camels and expelling saliva.

That's gotta rake in some cash.

Yes but how long will he have these endorsements if he falls off the radar? Which is already starting to happen from the majority of reaction i've seen on the net and the fact that his forum which used to be very lively is pretty much like a grave yard. I don't see it getting any better unless he does something successful. Does anyone see any of the bands he is in become successful really? The endorsements could dry up sooner rather than later.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
He's opening up for Godsmack soon.

He's not off the Radar.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Yes but how long will he have these endorsements if he falls off the radar? Which is already starting to happen from the majority of reaction i've seen on the net and the fact that his forum which used to be very lively is pretty much like a grave yard. I don't see it getting any better unless he does something successful. Does anyone see any of the bands he is in become successful really? The endorsements could dry up sooner rather than later.

Being off the radar is the least of his worries.  If I'm a Tama executive, I'm freaking out about the fact that he repeatedly stirs up negativity around him.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online Adami

Fair point, but I doubt anyone is reading what portnoy writes and then going "OMG I'M NEVER PLAYING TAMA AGAIN!"
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Actually, I just decided that I will probably never buy a Tama kit.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Fair point, but I doubt anyone is reading what portnoy writes and then going "OMG I'M NEVER PLAYING TAMA AGAIN!"

No consciously, but these decisions are as much a matter of emotion as they are logic.
Over and over again

Online Adami

Not even for me?

Well you're a lame father than I never knew I had till you cut off my hand.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
Didn't Mike just buy a Mustang? I'd call that "rolling in dough".

Maybe I'm just really broke.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Not even for me?

Well, you never asked.  Obviously, when I made that decision, I was operating on only the email I had onhand at that moment.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

Well I've designed a 28 piece kit (with around 17 cymbals) so if you could foot the bill for that.............I'd be happy.

Of course I was hoping it would be DW, but I'd settle for Tama, if you insist.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline tjanuranus

He's not off the Radar.

that's great and all but if the band ends up sucking it's not going to matter who he opens for. I can't count the amount of opening bands i've seen that went no where.

Online Adami

He's not off the Radar.

that's great and all but if the band ends up sucking it's not going to matter who he opens for. I can't count the amount of opening bands i've seen that went no where.

Sure he might lose some hardcore prog fans, but he'll probably gain a lot more mainstream rock fans. You know, the kind who think Joey Jordinson is the greatest drummer ever.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline tristl

• DTF.org Alumni
  • when dreams and tristl unite
i don't think its all about money, i think with mp last year he just had the feeling that everybody wanted something from him and he had a lot of options.
i think to get their place in music history is important for all the dt guys, especially for mp, beeing himself so conscious about music history. :metal :metal
Carpe diem baby

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
That interview pretty much sums up what I thought all along.  I find the "big money" thing interesting.  I always believed that Mike would rather do A7 instead of DT because it would mean more money with less work (also hinted at with the "different vibe than DT").  From a professional stand point, it makes a ton of sense for MP to want to be in A7 instead of DT.  Add in the fact that he was getting tired of DT, non of this should surprise anyone.  I find it interesting that A7 wanted someone younger, to me that sounds a bit like an excuse for another reason that they didnt want MP permanantly.

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member

He's not off the Radar.

I feel confident in saying that MP won't lose his endorsement unless he chose to go with someone else. It's not so much as what he's doing now, as it is how many he's put behind the kit because of his music/clout as a drummerman.

Offline Madman Shepherd

Well, many people in this forum were saying "This record-tour-record schedule has done a lot of harm to the band's creativity. They should take a break from making music together for a while, do side projects and come back to DT with a fresh music perspective". That's what exactly what MP wanted. And he never said 5 years AFAIK.

I don't think the record-tour-record cycle was making it stale, I think it was their writing cycle plus them pushing out John Myung and James LaBrie from the creative process that made it stale.

Offline Madman Shepherd

I find it interesting that A7 wanted someone younger, to me that sounds a bit like an excuse for another reason that they didnt want MP permanantly.

I always wondered how they felt about him being kind of hammy behind the drum kit (i.e. roasting marshmallows on the fire cannons)

Offline Scooterfruit

Just another piece of info on the subject of income....

someone posted an interview recently from 2000 in either this forum or the mp.com forum, with Mike. This thread got locked and deleted pretty quickly, but it was a very blunt and honest interview.

They asked him what his biggest paycheque was and how he spent it. He responded by first mentioning that everything DT makes goes into a sort of 'band fund' and they draw their normal wages from that so he doesn't get big cheques from DT. He went on to mention that the last big cheque was from an unnamed side project and it was $30,000. (which he blew a lot of on cocaine apparently)

So I don't know what he was doing side project wise that would yield that kind of cash, but I can imagine he's still making a hell of a lot.

Anyways, this was a cool interview in what is turning out to be a very interesting story.

EDIT:
Found the interview...here's the exact quote...

18.  How much was your biggest music related check for, and what did you do with it?
Actually all DT's money goes into a big melting pot which maintains our weekly salaries, so all my big checks and chunks come from outside side-projects or drum clinic/instructional related activities.. The last big check I got was around $30,000.00. I built a deck onto my backyard, put some of it away for my kids and went out and bought a shitload of DVD's and cocaine!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 08:11:02 PM by Scooterfruit »

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Is that unnamed project the Prime Cuts CD or something like that?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
This pretty much confirms what I said months ago - that Portnoy wanted to have his cake and eat it, too.  He wanted Avenged AND he wanted DT.  He didn't want to give up DT for Avenged, so he asked the other guys to put THEIR careers on hold while HE went out (like he thought would happen) and acted like a rock star.  It's completely obvious. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline DTGeek

still i don't think their like millionaires and they ars really working for their money

Of course they are, not many people who own two houses on different sides of the country are worth less than $1M.

"Casa de Portnoy East" is appraised at $505,800.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
still i don't think their like millionaires and they ars really working for their money

Of course they are, not many people who own two houses on different sides of the country are worth less than $1M.

Actually, most people who own two houses are worth WAY less than $1M.  Even if the house in PA is appraising at $505,800, you have no idea what the loan balance is or even if it is positive. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Is that unnamed project the Prime Cuts CD or something like that?

I highly doubt Prime Cuts gave him anything near $30,000.  Had to be one of the bigger side projects.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020

How do you know how much his house is worth?

I highly doubt Prime Cuts gave him anything near $30,000.  Had to be one of the bigger side projects.
I thought there was some controversy surrounding that release and they had to settle with MP or something like that.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
 If I'm a Tama executive, I'm freaking out about the fact that he repeatedly stirs up negativity around him.

Eh, I am guessing most fans have no idea about the internet drama, least of all Tama.

Didn't Mike just buy a Mustang? I'd call that "rolling in dough".

I woudn't.  I've known a few people who have owned Mustangs, and none of them were what I would call rolling in dough.  Granted, the difference between a run of the mill Mustang and a top of the line Mustang (can I assume Portnoy got closer to the latter?) is pretty big, so that might not mean much.  

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I thought there was some controversy surrounding that release and they had to settle with MP or something like that.

Oh, didn't know that.  Yeah, if it was a settlement check, that's a reasonable amount.  That could be.

And as far as how the band probably get paid, I don't know the specifics, but here is some basic corporations law applicable to small closely held corporations like DT:  In a closely held corp., money flows in (hopefully) and the officers and directors and other employees get paid their salary or whatever.  If the corporation is set up right, the money isn't taxed yet.  But the employee/owner has to report it as income tax, so they are taxed at that level.  At the corporate level, anything left in the corporation at the end of its tax year is usually taxed, so you USUALLY want to make sure that there is no money left in the corporation at the end of its tax year.  Otherwise, it is taxed twice (The first time is when the corporation is taxed, which reduces the money; The second is whenever it is eventually paid out to whoever and they have to report it as income tax).  So usually, to avoid the double taxation, toward the end of the year, after paying all expenses, you divvy up whatever money is still in the corporation and pay it out as bonues or dividends or something like that.  So while the statement about the members of DT getting paid a monthly salary is probably correct, they probably get a bonus at the end of the tax year as well.

Offline DTGeek

Not going to give more details because I already feel uncomfortable about posting something as personal as the appraisal.  But obviously MP has posted a lot of pics and info about his house, and real estate transactions are on the public record and easily available on the web.... so it's not very hard to connect the dots.

Anyway, that price was a market appraisal for property tax purposes... he's the original owner, so it could potentially sell for more or perhaps less.  And as Bosk pointed out, we don't know if there's a loan or not.

But forget the houses, you can also look at the income, they've sold over 10 million albums globally, so even if they only takes $1 in royalties after expenses, that's still $100k/year each averaged over their career... and touring is more lucrative than album sales.  Factor in side projects, etc. and they should be making $200-500k per year before taxes.  As long as they've been prudent with their saving and investments, I'd be shocked if they aren't all worth in the low millions by now.

That said, I totally agree with what has been pointed out a few times... their income isn't guaranteed to be sustainable, they have families to support, they probably plan to live 40 more years, and right now they have higher earning potential than ever.  Taking a hiatus would have been VERY costly, people in their 40s/50s generally don't gamble with their retirement savings like that.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain

EDIT:
Found the interview...here's the exact quote...

18.  How much was your biggest music related check for, and what did you do with it?
Actually all DT's money goes into a big melting pot which maintains our weekly salaries, so all my big checks and chunks come from outside side-projects or drum clinic/instructional related activities.. The last big check I got was around $30,000.00. I built a deck onto my backyard, put some of it away for my kids and went out and bought a shitload of DVD's and cocaine!

Wait what?  Link please?
Over and over again

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
The irony of the situation is that MP basically pulled a Kevin Moore. It is more and more looking like MP had lost the interest on the band. It is also beginning to look like that he has also lost interest on progressive metal (as none of his new projects could be classified to that category). Of course the latter point is less certain than the first.

While it is perfectly fine for a man's opinions to change, it feels a bit weird that MP spent 15 years bad-mouthing KM for leaving the band. But in the end, he did exactly the same thing with the same reasons. I wonder what MP would say about KM now?

They all bought into your contrived sincerity
And how you wore your heart and soul right on your sleeve
Laughing sarcastically
You turned your back on the people who adored you

Self-absorbed exhaustion
Self-esteem distortion
Self-infused extortion
Self-serving abortion

I'll take the blame for these things that I say
'Cause I had the heart and the will and the courage to stay
Every day
I won't walk away

Reading through all the digests you show me
I notice the way that you think you control me
Doubting my future, you don't even know me
But I never walked out on you

Thats uh...pretty fitting.  :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
...they've sold over 10 million albums globally, so even if they only takes $1 in royalties after expenses, that's still $100k/year each averaged over their career...

Yes.  Maybe $1 per album for the band.  So split that dollar 5 ways.

Offline Ħ

Re: AVENGED SEVENFOLD: We Urged MIKE PORTNOY Against Quitting DREAM THEATER
« Reply #100 on: July 28, 2011, 10:04:15 PM »

I know how.  It's that one website that lets you search up anyone and gives you a bunch of details about them.  Begins with an "S".  Forgot what it's called.  But I remember that Portnoy's house was about 500k.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #101 on: July 28, 2011, 10:11:19 PM »
I know how.  It's that one website that lets you search up anyone and gives you a bunch of details about them.  Begins with an "S".  Forgot what it's called.  But I remember that Portnoy's house was about 500k.
Spokeo.com
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 10:41:44 PM by SystematicThought »
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #102 on: July 28, 2011, 10:37:57 PM »
stalking.net?
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: July 29, 2011, 06:10:30 AM »
This pretty much confirms what I said months ago - that Portnoy wanted to have his coke and eat it, too.  He wanted Avenged AND he wanted DT.  He didn't want to give up DT for Avenged, so he asked the other guys to put THEIR careers on hold while HE went out (like he thought would happen) and acted like a rock star.  It's completely obvious. 

FTFY  :hat

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni