Author Topic: 2011-09-24 - Warfield Theater - San Francisco, CA  (Read 82325 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: 2011-09-24 - Warfield Theater - San Francisco, CA
« Reply #490 on: September 26, 2011, 03:12:03 PM »
You can argue over the descriptions all you want, but the reality is, one mode of expressing an opinion is perfectly fine on this forum, and another gets people ejected.  People who want to post here are well advised to understand the difference.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #491 on: September 26, 2011, 03:14:02 PM »
I don't hate "These Walls," but I do think the song is boring
wut

Just not a huge fan. It's a decent cut. It just doesn't do much for me. I'd gladly swap it out for something else. Is what it is.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #492 on: September 26, 2011, 03:19:50 PM »
You can argue over the descriptions all you want, but the reality is, one mode of expressing an opinion is perfectly fine on this forum, and another gets people ejected.  People who want to post here are well advised to understand the difference.

And what you said in the post I quoted is akin to insulting people who don't like a set list and want to express it. Admin or not, that's how it came across. Do I think that's what you intended? Absolutely not. But people should not fear wanting to post something critical on here.

You may run this board like it is an official forum, and that's great. But people should not be afraid to say "hey, I think this song sucks and wish they would have played this instead." That's a perfectly legitimate statement.

Your post made it seem that those sentiments and expression weren't welcome. And I sincerely hope they are, because if not, why not just re-brand this place as "Dream Theater Public Relations HQ?"

;)

Glad you had fun at the show. I did too. Great gig.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #493 on: September 26, 2011, 03:50:59 PM »
Thanks for the advice, but I'll both run this place how I like and "brand" it what I like.  And I think how I run it is relatively clear.  But enough off topic discussion about how the forum "should" be run.  Let's get it back on topic, please.  Thanks.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #494 on: September 26, 2011, 03:54:26 PM »
It wasn't advice.

Yes sir!

The San Francisco show was grrrrrrrrrrrrreat! Woo!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #495 on: September 26, 2011, 04:18:39 PM »
Please check out bosk's thread for his full review of the show. I posted mine in there I hope thats ok too. I fully agree with his experience. Hope to see DT for many years to come. The show was nothing like I expected. I mean I expected it to be awesome but it far surpassed that. Keep the Dream alive guys  :metal :metal :metal

Offline Optimus

• Mr. Bateman
  • I like to dissect girls.
« Reply #496 on: September 26, 2011, 04:25:53 PM »
I think James sound absolutely amazing these days, but sometimes he sounds a little bit insecure and doesn't give the notes enough power so that they end up too low in terms of pitch. This is a good example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UeNf7mvMAE&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Maybe he didn't hear himself well enough in the mix ?

And if you are reading this, James: You just got to trust yourself 100%. If you just break a leg and give 100% on every note the pitch will be perfect every time. Everytime you go passive mode you go to low :D
That's a very fine chardonnay you're drinking. I want you to clean your vagina

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #497 on: September 26, 2011, 04:46:56 PM »
It makes me sad that James went online saw people bitching about the setlist.

yay I'm not the only one. It just shows how spoiled we are.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #498 on: September 26, 2011, 05:53:06 PM »
Yeah, I hope they didn't change the set based on discussion here. That'd be lame. But, honestly, if the band is going to try and cater what a handful of people on the internet say about sets, that's on them.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #499 on: September 26, 2011, 07:03:17 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UeNf7mvMAE&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Myung is playing the moog taurus in the choruses with his feet whilst playing bass.

I think that's a DT song that doesn't translate well live. Not just JLB...obviously it's different being there, but the video is uhhh

Also, how do we know JLB was reading our forum?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #500 on: September 26, 2011, 07:12:26 PM »
I can tell you; I can see myself going nuts by just hearing that guitar riff kicking in.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #501 on: September 26, 2011, 07:14:06 PM »
I'm sure I'll like it if I get it next month, but man on video it's bad.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #502 on: September 26, 2011, 07:14:25 PM »
Clearly they already knew BAI and those new songs.  Was James just joking?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #503 on: September 26, 2011, 07:20:53 PM »
A man who drives a forklift to every show when he doesn't have to probably never humors himself or others. What a fucking dude.

Offline Chrissalix

« Reply #504 on: September 27, 2011, 01:26:43 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UeNf7mvMAE&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Myung is playing the moog taurus in the choruses with his feet whilst playing bass.

I think that's a DT song that doesn't translate well live. Not just JLB...obviously it's different being there, but the video is uhhh

Also, how do we know JLB was reading our forum?

I agree. There are too many samples and the band can't pull off the vocals in the post-chorus. Thought the chorus sounded alright though. Myung is playing the Taurus but you can't really hear it in that clip,

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #505 on: September 27, 2011, 02:08:36 PM »
Just found this vid of The Silent Man, apologies if it's been posted.  I would have killed for these seats BTW.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neGrrveYGgg&feature=related

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #506 on: September 29, 2011, 03:06:43 PM »
From one of Jordan's recent interviews

Rudess describes a particularly special moment the night before in San Francisco.

"After the first two songs we stop so James can talk to the crowd. Before he spoke, we got the longest ovation in Dream Theater history. It's like the crowd was saying, "Thank god you survived all the inner turbulence and that things turned out so well. That was amazing. After the show everybody was saying that the vibe onstage felt so positive; that they were feeling the joy up there between us. This year was a rough transition for us, so I like where we are right now."

I feel so happy to have been apart of that. I wonder how the other crowds compared?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #507 on: September 30, 2011, 01:17:51 AM »
Thanks for posting that. I too am proud to have been part if that moment.