Author Topic: 2011-09-24 - Warfield Theater - San Francisco, CA  (Read 82615 times)

Offline CrimsonE

Re: 2011-09-24 - Warfield Theater - San Francisco, CA
« Reply #455 on: September 25, 2011, 09:29:21 AM »
Aside from the lack of TITL or BAI, I have no major problems with the setlist.  And I imagine they'll probably rotate some songs in and out as needed.  In particular, I think they'll switch between UAGM and LTL, much like they did LTL & PMU/Metropolis for the Octavarium tour.  If that is the case, I'm hoping I catch LTL, as I would love to see that song live. 
In the heart of your most solemn barren night
When your souls turn inside out
Have you questioned all the madness you invite?
What your life is all about

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #456 on: September 25, 2011, 09:46:13 AM »
Tired.  I'll just say the set was amazing.  The performance was perhaps the best I have seen, EVER.  Blob's animations were incredible--especially the opening.  I'll tell you more about it later.  And John Petrucci sends his personal thanks to all of you for supporing the band.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Millais

« Reply #457 on: September 25, 2011, 09:58:13 AM »
I'll tell you more about it later.  And John Petrucci sends his personal thanks to all of you for supporing the band.

awesome  :tup and looking forward to it!

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #458 on: September 25, 2011, 10:13:19 AM »
Btw, I glimpsed a sign on the wall at the venue with these times:

Trivium: 8 - 8:45

DT: 9:15 - 11:15

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #459 on: September 25, 2011, 10:17:28 AM »
Hmm, it seemed like it was longer than that from my end.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #460 on: September 25, 2011, 10:53:12 AM »
Tired.  I'll just say the set was amazing.  The performance was perhaps the best I have seen, EVER.  Blob's animations were incredible--especially the opening.  I'll tell you more about it later.  And John Petrucci sends his personal thanks to all of you for supporing the band.

lolsk1.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #461 on: September 25, 2011, 11:11:53 AM »
Btw, I glimpsed a sign on the wall at the venue with these times:

Trivium: 8 - 8:45

DT: 9:15 - 11:15
Thank you!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #462 on: September 25, 2011, 12:49:33 PM »
btw, what a hell of a mic stand does JLB have!!!
The base was the Majesty logo.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #463 on: September 25, 2011, 01:43:26 PM »
To those who attended: did James actually hit all the F# in BMUBMD?
Those scream are actually higher than F#, if I''m not mistaken.  But I doubt he would have done the screams live.

I could be wrong.  Somebody help us out!

Correct, he did not do the screams.  He sang the main melody while JP sang the harmony.  I was really impressed with JP's backup vocals the whole night.  He was confident, having fun, and sounded great.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #464 on: September 25, 2011, 02:37:45 PM »
To Bosk, H, and Fierywinds, it was a great pleasure to meet you all, and I'm glad we all had a rocking time.  As my buddy who was with us put it,"Very nice guys, though I had no idea WTF you guys were talking about." :lol

Offline Mbarak

« Reply #465 on: September 25, 2011, 03:23:20 PM »
Blob's animations were incredible--especially the opening.  I'll tell you more about it later.

Gonna be surely waiting for this. I really hope Blob posts the videos on his website soon for my/our viewing pleasure.

Offline dreamrafa

« Reply #466 on: September 25, 2011, 05:09:08 PM »
Am i the only one who thinks the setlist is kinda "weak"?, i mean, its just the same setlist from last tour with 3 new songs on it, feels kinda lazy... Specially excluding TITL, FFH BAI and LNF, wtf? isnt this the tour to promote ADTOE? why would they leave out the best songs of the album?

:tdwn

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #467 on: September 25, 2011, 06:05:31 PM »
Anyone who went to this show, can you post a picture of the t shirt you bought?

Offline teoevans

« Reply #468 on: September 25, 2011, 06:47:45 PM »
Am i the only one who thinks the setlist is kinda "weak"?, i mean, its just the same setlist from last tour with 3 new songs on it, feels kinda lazy... Specially excluding TITL, FFH BAI and LNF, wtf? isnt this the tour to promote ADTOE? why would they leave out the best songs of the album?

:tdwn

I totally agree with you!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #469 on: September 25, 2011, 07:22:18 PM »
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline weddingnails

« Reply #470 on: September 25, 2011, 08:04:15 PM »
Dear God, this is incredible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlzCdkGXyPI

wow,that is amazing,i like that song even more now.
"i don't trust anything that bleeds for 5 days and doesn't die"

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #471 on: September 25, 2011, 08:05:52 PM »
For those that went to the show. They keep talking about the production. The light show looks great, got live films, the screens obviously. Anything else?

The screens actually kind of look like they are hard to see
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #472 on: September 25, 2011, 08:09:38 PM »
I was going to watch the video  but then I realized I will see it for real in about an hour
 :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #473 on: September 25, 2011, 08:10:15 PM »
I'll probably post a detailed review in the morning, but a couple of things:

1.  The set list was NOT "weak" by any stretch. 
2.  As far as the lighting, screens, production, etc.:  There is nothing more elaborate than what you guys saw in the videos, but it just all worked together really well and made for a great atmosphere and backdrop for the music.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #474 on: September 25, 2011, 08:33:30 PM »
The show was great. I really enjoyed myself. The new songs came across amazing as well.

The one thing I really noticed was how much more relaxed and engaged James is on stage. That has to be directly related to not having a drummer that wants to be a frontman talking to the crowd constantly sitting behind him. It's like James opened up, in a good way. Mangini really is energetic, and the band fed off it. Everyone was in great form and really high energy.

I DID feel the set list was a little lacking. I totally support the band playing songs off their new record. I believe it was five cuts. But when your songs are long like that, and you play two hours, you don't really do justice to the back catalog either. Playing one song (acoustic) from Awake and one song (the encore of UAGM) from I&W, and completely ignoring FII and Black Clouds is a bit ridiculous.

Again, I get it. I fully endorse them supporting their new record. I believe in bands that do that. But in DT's case, it made the set a little unbalanced.  Still totally enjoyable. But noticeably unbalanced.

Had dead center and a great view. The show and the energy really re-ignited my fandom of the band. I also felt the new songs translated great live and man, what an absolute epic Bridges in the Sky is. Hell of a way to open a show...and a tour.

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #475 on: September 25, 2011, 09:05:10 PM »
To Bosk, H, and Fierywinds, it was a great pleasure to meet you all, and I'm glad we all had a rocking time.  As my buddy who was with us put it,"Very nice guys, though I had no idea WTF you guys were talking about." :lol
Definitely nice meeting you as well!

I thought the show was fantastic.  I hadn't heard any of the songs live before.  I was actually happy they played Outcry over BAI since I like it more.  The only disappointment was the short encore, but UAGM still blew us away.

Also, Mangini is an incredible drummer.  As well as an incredible person to talk to. :)
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Chrissalix

« Reply #476 on: September 26, 2011, 12:52:19 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UeNf7mvMAE&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Myung is playing the moog taurus in the choruses with his feet whilst playing bass.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #477 on: September 26, 2011, 01:09:15 AM »

Myung is playing the moog taurus in the choruses with his feet whilst playing bass.
Impressive, anyway BMUBMD is a killer live!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #478 on: September 26, 2011, 02:02:46 AM »

Impressive, anyway BMUBMD is a killer live!
Agreed. It worked so well.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #479 on: September 26, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »
It makes me sad that James went online and saw people bitching about the setlist.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 08:08:16 PM by Dream Team »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #480 on: September 26, 2011, 11:40:37 AM »
It makes me sad that James went online saw people bitching about the setlist.

Offline visitor

« Reply #481 on: September 26, 2011, 11:46:55 AM »
It makes me sad that James went online saw people bitching about the setlist.

Why? Are we machines now that we cant express our opinions freely?  Is 'bitchin' the new synonym of a normal opinion?  I'm sure James appreciates the interest and emotions that the fans are showing towards this tour.  What makes Dream Theater a great band is that they listen to their fans. Love you James  ;D (in case you read this)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #482 on: September 26, 2011, 11:50:06 AM »
There's a difference between "I really like song X and REALLY hope they can find a way to incorporate it into their set" and "I can't believe they didn't include song X; there are so many crappy songs in the set they could have pulled so that they could fit this in instead."  The former is expressing an opinion.  The latter is ingratitute and immature whining.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #483 on: September 26, 2011, 01:31:00 PM »
For some reason, I really liked they shaked up things a bit with Under A Glass Moon as a closer.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline erik16

• The one on the right
« Reply #484 on: September 26, 2011, 01:35:02 PM »
Do we know then (or can we speculate) which forum (DTF or official DTF?) was in the orbit of JLB's internet voyage?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #485 on: September 26, 2011, 01:40:59 PM »
I'm going to take a wild guess that it was this one.  :biggrin:

Offline Ħ

« Reply #486 on: September 26, 2011, 02:29:20 PM »
Do we know what he said, specifically?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline erik16

• The one on the right
« Reply #487 on: September 26, 2011, 02:32:59 PM »
I just hope they (band) won't dwell on the negatives when it comes to forumers. There's so much positive energy here and (from your other thread, bosk) it's nice to know that JP loves this forum. I guess it dates back to the September events when JP was very active on the webs and he got to read the worship thread here.

I mean, we don't want another Never Enough, do we? :biggrin:

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #488 on: September 26, 2011, 03:04:13 PM »
There's a difference between "I really like song X and REALLY hope they can find a way to incorporate it into their set" and "I can't believe they didn't include song X; there are so many crappy songs in the set they could have pulled so that they could fit this in instead."  The former is expressing an opinion.  The latter is ingratitute and immature whining.

No, the latter is also expressing an opinion. If someone else doesn't like songs they are playing live, they have a right to express that. Sure, saying "crappy songs in the set" isn't very articulate, but that isn't a big deal.

The problem happens when fans of the songs that were called "crappy" then cry foul (which is ridiculous) and start labeling fans who don't like something as "immature whiners."

Please.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be a line. Obviously, if you have some guy dropping a boat load of F-Bombs about certain songs and what not, yeah, that is a little overboard. But just because someone thinks a song or songs are "crappy" is not whining.

I don't hate "These Walls," but I do think the song is boring and would much rather have had something off of Awake or FII in its place. That's not whining, that's mature criticism.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #489 on: September 26, 2011, 03:11:16 PM »
I don't hate "These Walls," but I do think the song is boring
wut