Author Topic: Too Often, People Don't Want to Like Music  (Read 4838 times)

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
Re: Too Often, People Don't Want to Like Music
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2011, 09:41:03 PM »
I agree with Zantera completely.

With music today, there's also the fast food mentality. Like: 'I'll have a cheeseburger and a large fry.' *1 second later* 'Where is it?'

Honestly, who does this?

Fat people.

I'm fat and I don't do that...

Then clearly you're not very good at being fat.

I guess not.

Hell, I eat like that, and my peers say I'm a skinny bastard. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2011, 10:15:24 PM »
I think for a lot of people, it is an ego thing.  They think they have great musical taste and can find all of what they like on their own without any help, so when someone says, "You should check out this band; you'd like 'em!", they get that attitude, like, "I don't need to be told what is good; I already know what is."  Of course, they'd never admit that, but that is the impression I have been left with at times.

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2011, 04:14:04 AM »
Some people just don't see the difference between "I don't really like this song, this music is not for me" and "its shit." They fail to see any musicianship behind the sound and they don't realise that a lot of effort has been put into it (usually) and a lot of people do in fact like it.
Steven Wilson was right, people just seek 'cheap thrills' and not the artistic side of music. They usually go for the image that's attached with the music ie, if its "cool" and whether the music fits in with your stereotype or gives you some sort of authority. This sets the mentality of "if its not *insert genre* then I hate it"

The same goes for people that heard a song from a band and they don't like it, so they get that preconception that they wont like the rest of the album, ie, "its shit." For example, with Trivium's In Waves song, quite a lot of people didn't like the direction they took with it and they called it "generic garbage" and stuff like that. That then lowered their expectations of the rest of the album and they got the preconception that the rest will be bad. When Trivium released their next song, Dusk Dismantled, it was in fact quite a good song but the fans stuck with their preconception and actively searched for things to hate about it, which then made them hate it as well. That's of course not a good mentality, people really need to be more open-minded.

I'm just generalising here by the way, obviously not everyone's like that...

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2011, 04:22:16 AM »
I think FretMuppet's post touches on another important aspect of this, songs being released earlier then the album as a preview.
Personally I'm against this, I believe that the album should be heard at first as intended, and by hearing song(s) individually before the release of the album will spoil the experience, though obviously it's up to myself to listen or not.
However, I've noticed that a lot of people already form their opinion about an album after hearing the initial single, or the promo-song the band releases a few months earlier.

Some people are "This song is amazing, this album might be really really good" which is cool, but then we have the type of people who are like "This song is shit, the album will be shit, and I won't even bother checking it out".
So I do believe that people should chill the f*ck out sometimes and don't say anything before the album is out.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2011, 04:24:18 AM »
I think FretMuppet's post touches on another important aspect of this, songs being released earlier then the album as a preview.
Personally I'm against this, I believe that the album should be heard at first as intended, and by hearing song(s) individually before the release of the album will spoil the experience, though obviously it's up to myself to listen or not.
However, I've noticed that a lot of people already form their opinion about an album after hearing the initial single, or the promo-song the band releases a few months earlier.

Some people are "This song is amazing, this album might be really really good" which is cool, but then we have the type of people who are like "This song is shit, the album will be shit, and I won't even bother checking it out".
So I do believe that people should chill the f*ck out sometimes and don't say anything before the album is out.
I agree. Thats why I don't listen to singles if they come out before the album. Sometimes its hard, like with DT and Opeth, but its worth it in the end.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2011, 06:27:58 AM »
The "cheap thrills" thing is a good point. The other day my sister was driving me and some people to Wilmington and she couldn't listen to a song for more than 30 seconds. No joke. Her finger was on her iPod's skip button the whole time.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2011, 10:39:13 PM »
The "cheap thrills" thing is a good point. The other day my sister was driving me and some people to Wilmington and she couldn't listen to a song for more than 30 seconds. No joke. Her finger was on her iPod's skip button the whole time.

I can be like that sometimes, but it's really only when I'm not sure what I want to listen to.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2011, 10:52:45 PM »
Eh, I don't know. I'd personally rather talk about how Deconstruction is the best album in the world than how much I hate Coheed. I agree that YouTube, RYM, and to a lesser degree Sputnik are full of people who like to spread the hate, but the moral of the story is: Those people are idiots.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2011, 10:55:44 PM »
I think for a lot of people, it is an ego thing.  They think they have great musical taste and can find all of what they like on their own without any help, so when someone says, "You should check out this band; you'd like 'em!", they get that attitude, like, "I don't need to be told what is good; I already know what is."  Of course, they'd never admit that, but that is the impression I have been left with at times.

I'm guilty of this sometimes, I admit. But it doesn't have anything to do with my ego. When trying out new music, it usually has to be my own idea or decision to finally do it. Otherwise I'm just less likely to carry through with it. There are some bands some people insisted I listen to years ago that I'm just now trying out and enjoying.

I'm weird like that.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2011, 02:42:44 AM »
I'm guilty of this sometimes, I admit. But it doesn't have anything to do with my ego. When trying out new music, it usually has to be my own idea or decision to finally do it. Otherwise I'm just less likely to carry through with it. There are some bands some people insisted I listen to years ago that I'm just now trying out and enjoying.

I'm weird like that.

I'm EXACTLY the same way, it's crazy.  :lol
Sometimes friends have been all "you gotta check this out, it's so good" and send a song, then even if it's good, I'm like "yeah maybe, I dunno".
Then I check it out 2 years later by myself and I'm like "OMG this is so good".  :lol

Offline Moonchild

• There can be only one! muahahaha
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2011, 06:31:59 AM »
I think it all comes down to education and most people don't know how to be a critic with politeness and really listen to those songs they are criticizing.
I'm sometimes called somewhat of a twat who doesn't respect other peoples choices in music because I really can tell why I don't like this or that and I do and people get all personal. I never ever insulted that "you suck because you listen to Kylie Minogue" but they can feel insulted because I don't like that music and they do.

On the internet and on kids these days the lack of education is staggering an  youtube facebooks twats and tweets are a barn for pigs to ply.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2011, 07:09:28 AM »

I'm weird like that.

I'm EXACTLY the same way, it's crazy.  :lol
Sometimes friends have been all "you gotta check this out, it's so good" and send a song, then even if it's good, I'm like "yeah maybe, I dunno".
Then I check it out 2 years later by myself and I'm like "OMG this is so good".  :lol

My buddy is exactly like this. I remember showing him dredg on a few occasions and he just blew them off saying they sucked. Six months later I get into his car and he says to me "LISTEN TO THIS!" and it's "sang real". The same song I sent him six months back lol.