Author Topic: Too Often, People Don't Want to Like Music  (Read 4837 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
Too Often, People Don't Want to Like Music
« on: July 26, 2011, 04:26:04 PM »
OK. Probably went a bit overboard with the thread title. I just wanted more people to come here. I'll make it short.

Basically, every time I go to Rate Your Music or YouTube or something like that, I see people posting very lazy things about why they didn't like something. For example,

"Ah. What a shit single. I listened to it once and it sucked."

"Ugh. What shit lyrics on the new Blackfield. Especially the 'Go to Hell' lyrics. Steven Wilson is an idiot."

Sometimes, I get the feeling that people would rather hate music than like it because by hating it, they can go rant on a message board or come up with an inventive criticism that makes them sound more clever than anyone else.

And it's not just limited to the internet. The other day my friend started raging on John Mayer, and when I asked him if he had heard Continuum, he goes, "What? No man. I just heard 'Your Body Is a Wonderland' and it blew." I asked him if he wanted to borrow Continuum, and he said he couldn't be bothered.

It just seems to me like more and more music is becoming a conversation point and not an experience. Does anyone ever get that feeling? Like, someone will bash something and you're just left there shaking your head asking, "Did you even give it a chance?"

I just feel like, sometimes, people approach music the wrong way. You're supposed to want to enjoy it, not deconstruct it and burn it.

---

* For those who don't know, "Go to Hell" was basically 100% Geffen.

:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Too Often, People Don't Want to Like Music
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 04:29:56 PM »
Completely agreed. I don't know if it happens any more than it used to, in fact I'm fairly sure that's not the case, but it is pretty disappointing when it happens.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 04:35:07 PM »
I guess most people just want instant gratification when listening to music (which, granted, is understandable). If it doesn't immediately fit what their definition of good music is, they reject it completely. Either it's amazing or it's horrible.

What I've grown really weary of is this whole "My favorite band is better than your favorite band!" competition that some people employ, as if it produces any worthwhile results. It's just stupid, and it doesn't change anyone's minds in the end anyway, so overall it's pointless, too. It also makes people hate bands they otherwise would have no opinion whatsoever on (which is where this relates to the OP). Music isn't a penis-measuring contest, and it certainly isn't a statement of superiority or inferiority as a person.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 04:36:48 PM »
I feel like people today are less patient with things, with music being a good example.
After seeing a lot of interviews with Steven Wilson, I have to agree with him that today, many people listen to a song by an artist or maybe an album one time, and after that it's either good enough to keep listening, or shit.
People rarely give things time these days, and I notice a lot of people bash music after hearing it maybe once or twice, I do feel like it should be given an honest chance at least.

Personally I always try to give a new artist/band at least 5 spins of an album before I make up my mind, and that might not be a lot, but I feel like it's a decent amount of time.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 04:47:16 PM »
One thing that I find, at least with people I know, is that if a band comes out with an album that is too different than the previous one, they automatically give up on the band.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 04:49:56 PM »
Hmmm... I'd love to see the reaction of normal people when Nickleback puts out that album consisting of a performance of The Rite of Spring. 

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 04:52:26 PM »
I think that quite a lot of the time us prog-folk wilfully hate on mainstream music just to reinforce our elitism, which annoys me. Your John Mayer example is an exact one that I've come across many times myself.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 05:14:58 PM »
Zantera hit the nail on the head. People don't have the time to digest an album, meaning sitting with earphones on and laying back while the music takes you places.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 06:04:10 PM »
I think what you are speaking of is a tendency towards exaggeration and laziness in any form of argument.  I'd say that you could come across the same thing in any sort of debate, simply because people love to get their point across in a way that is more harsh than their actual sentiment towards it and they'll take shortcuts to get to expressing it. 

Basically, I don't think it's an growing trend of dislike specific to music as much as it is just a lazy form of argument that's used in other contexts as well as musical ones. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 07:08:56 PM »
I'm very picky with music. If there is a specific element about a song or band I don't like when I first hear it, I'm not gonna keep trying, because I know it's not something I'm going to get used to or like after 5 spins.

EXAMPLES:

When I first heard Symphony X's song, The Odyssey, there was nothing I disliked about it, yet nothing grabbed me either, so I kept listening, and eventually the song clicked.

When I first heard anything by The Tallest Man On Earth, the vocals immediately turned me off, so that wasn't something I wanted to keep listening to.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 07:14:45 PM »
I'm very picky with music. If there is a specific element about a song or band I don't like when I first hear it, I'm not gonna keep trying, because I know it's not something I'm going to get used to or like after 5 spins.

Isn't that a self-fulfilling prophecy?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 07:23:03 PM »

Not really. Continuing with the vocals example, if someone handed me a metal album with parrot squawks for vocals, after 5 spins I'm more than likely going to take some Tylenol for the massive headache after enduring such shit. Of course, I wouldn't even make it 1 spin though because they're fucking parrot squawks.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 07:26:39 PM »

Not really. Continuing with the vocals example, if someone handed me a metal album with parrot squawks for vocals, after 5 spins I'm more than likely going to take some Tylenol for the massive headache after enduring such shit. Of course, I wouldn't even make it 1 spin though because they're fucking parrot squawks.

Okay, but for any music that isn't such an absurd example, dismissing it immediately seems to only be doing yourself a disservice.

Also, there is a metal band with parrot squawks for vocals, and they're awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0_XArS_rHg&feature=related

Offline Ħ

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
My mindset when I first listen to something is that I will like it.  It's only if I don't like it that I find...I don't like it.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 07:28:35 PM »

Okay, but for any music that isn't such an absurd example, dismissing it immediately seems to only be doing yourself a disservice.

Also, there is a metal band with parrot squawks for vocals, and they're awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0_XArS_rHg&feature=related

Is that one of those ironic hipster things? Liking something even though it's clearly terrible.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 07:34:07 PM »
No, it's one of those "the music is pretty cool with hilarious vocals" things.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 07:37:35 PM »
No, it's one of those "the music is pretty cool with hilarious vocals" things.

I prefer Amputated, in that regard.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2011, 07:39:17 PM »
Let's stop using the word hipster to describe shit we don't like.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2011, 07:39:47 PM »

What the hell was that?
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2011, 07:47:18 PM »
I agree with Zantera completely.

With music today, there's also the fast food mentality. Like: 'I'll have a cheeseburger and a large fry.' *1 second later* 'Where is it?'
There's no patience with some people when it comes to music and it's kind of sad. With my brother and dad, a song needs to be around 3-4 minutes. Nothing too much longer than that. The song needs to go about what it needs to get done and get to the point. To them, guitar solos and themes mean nothing. They just can't wrap their heads around a song that wants to take it's time to really draw you in and essentially keep music what it is, which is an art form. There's the 'get to the point' 'I need it now' mentality.

I try to give bands an honest listen, and I have the patience for it.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2011, 07:55:08 PM »
Let's stop using the word hipster to describe shit we don't like.

What term should be used to describe shit we don't like, from now on?

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2011, 07:59:02 PM »
Yeah, it's pretty amusing how "indie" and "hipster" have become blanket words on this board for anything someone dislikes.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2011, 08:01:50 PM »
Yes, it is rather dumb.  They are specific terms used to describe specific things.

The word I'd nominate to be everyone's specific term for music we do not like is: music we do not like

Your say on this idea?

Offline ghostnotes

• Groove machine.
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2011, 08:03:19 PM »
Face it, Joe Public is now doing too many things at once (tweeting, texting, facebooking, talking, etc.) to stop and listen to the music.  The upside is that there are online communities full of us who continue to buy physical product, discuss the album art, absorb and debate the lyrics, etc., and the artists are offering true fans more than ever before in the way of a complete experience (deluxe packages, digital advance material, tweeting/facebooking, VIP concert experiences, you name it).  It's both sad and exciting to see in-depth enjoyment of music shifting from popular to more of a hobby IMO.

Offline pmahoney1337

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2011, 08:06:39 PM »
I know what you mean, I have a friend who likes rap, pop, etc. Whenever he hears me playing music where someone actually sings he calls it screaming. For example 2112 by Rush, he says "all the singer does is scream." He does the same thing with DT as well. It Drives me nuts. It just seems like he has this mindset where if its not rap he won't like it and comes up with excuses for not liking it like the Rush one.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 08:13:09 PM by pmahoney1337 »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2011, 08:07:46 PM »

With music today, there's also the fast food mentality. Like: 'I'll have a cheeseburger and a large fry.' *1 second later* 'Where is it?'

Honestly, who does this?

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2011, 08:08:12 PM »

Honestly, who does this?

Fat people.

Offline pmahoney1337

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2011, 08:09:41 PM »

Honestly, who does this?
:lol

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2011, 08:17:16 PM »

Honestly, who does this?
I heard a comedian say it once.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2011, 08:21:29 PM »
I think what you are speaking of is a tendency towards exaggeration and laziness in any form of argument.  I'd say that you could come across the same thing in any sort of debate, simply because people love to get their point across in a way that is more harsh than their actual sentiment towards it and they'll take shortcuts to get to expressing it. 

Basically, I don't think it's an growing trend of dislike specific to music as much as it is just a lazy form of argument that's used in other contexts as well as musical ones. 

Excellent post

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2011, 08:44:17 PM »

Honestly, who does this?

Fat people.

I'm fat and I don't do that...
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2011, 08:48:20 PM »

Honestly, who does this?

Fat people.

Then clearly you're not very good at being fat.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2011, 09:24:28 PM »
Theres very little music I can straight up say that I don't like. Almost all music takes a good amount of listens to digest for me, so I can't hate on it straight away. After a while, I usually find something I like about most albums :)

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2011, 09:37:25 PM »
When I first heard anything by The Tallest Man On Earth, the vocals immediately turned me off, so that wasn't something I wanted to keep listening to.

That's funny because at first I hated the vocals but now I absolutely love it.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2011, 09:39:36 PM »

Honestly, who does this?

Fat people.

Then clearly you're not very good at being fat.

I guess not.
prog sucks