Author Topic: The Creativity Thread v. we need more artists! [NSFW]  (Read 103003 times)

Offline robwebster

Re: The Creativity Thread v. we need more artists!
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2011, 02:58:17 AM »
Ah, good to know. And thanks! I guess having an art topic would be a good thing, then! :)

EDIT: I've edited the first post and the topic title to be more geared towards anything creative at all! There's a poetry thread for poetry but I guess anything from artwork to writing to games can be posted here.
Yes! Agreed. And you have actually inspired me to resume work on a script I've been neglecting. There aren't even any flies in it. So wahey!

Awesome, man! What kind of script is it?
Televisual! I keep on getting stuck 'cause I'm a stubborn ol' mule and refuse to outline it properly, but it's slowly growing. I think I'm gonna dedicate today to it.

Thing is, writing anything more than a note-form outline makes it feel a little like I'm squandering time I could be spending on the actual script. It just feels like a waste of words to me, even though I know - up here - that it's an important document. Best get cracking now I'm in the right frame of mind, then...

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2011, 11:08:12 AM »
Your pixel art has inspired me to actually try and finish a chiptune album so I can commission you to do the album art.  Its pretty awesome!

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2011, 11:48:36 AM »
Well, now I feel like a completely crap artist, that work is incredible!

I only do digital art as a hobby though, I really love writing. Entered a playwriting competition and came in second this year, working on the background and lore for a book I want to do at some point in the future, and the concept for the play for next years compettition.

I also do acting, though I don't know if that falls into this thread, especially as I have no real examples to show :')
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2011, 12:31:55 PM »
Heretic, that stuff is amazing! You're really talented!

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2011, 07:18:21 PM »
Ah, good to know. And thanks! I guess having an art topic would be a good thing, then! :)

EDIT: I've edited the first post and the topic title to be more geared towards anything creative at all! There's a poetry thread for poetry but I guess anything from artwork to writing to games can be posted here.
Yes! Agreed. And you have actually inspired me to resume work on a script I've been neglecting. There aren't even any flies in it. So wahey!

Awesome, man! What kind of script is it?
Televisual! I keep on getting stuck 'cause I'm a stubborn ol' mule and refuse to outline it properly, but it's slowly growing. I think I'm gonna dedicate today to it.

Thing is, writing anything more than a note-form outline makes it feel a little like I'm squandering time I could be spending on the actual script. It just feels like a waste of words to me, even though I know - up here - that it's an important document. Best get cracking now I'm in the right frame of mind, then...

I know what you mean. But I'd definitely like to see the fruits of your work if you care to share at any point, man!

Your pixel art has inspired me to actually try and finish a chiptune album so I can commission you to do the album art.  Its pretty awesome!

Chiptune album? Awesome! I'd definitely be interested. And thanks!

Well, now I feel like a completely crap artist, that work is incredible!

I only do digital art as a hobby though, I really love writing. Entered a playwriting competition and came in second this year, working on the background and lore for a book I want to do at some point in the future, and the concept for the play for next years compettition.

I also do acting, though I don't know if that falls into this thread, especially as I have no real examples to show :')

If you have writing you'd like to show, definitely post it! And I've acted a bit before, but not recently. I have a good friend who's big into it though.

And don't feel discouraged artistically, I want this topic to inspire you to get better!

Heretic, that stuff is amazing! You're really talented!

Ah, thanks! I really appreciate it. :)

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2011, 09:26:19 AM »
Heretic, have you ever done any work for video games? Namely animated sprites?

Not looking to commission you or anything (though I totally would try to if I was making something), just curious if you have anything to show in that department!

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2011, 06:31:34 PM »
If you have writing you'd like to show, definitely post it! And I've acted a bit before, but not recently. I have a good friend who's big into it though.

And don't feel discouraged artistically, I want this topic to inspire you to get better!

Not at the moment I don't, no, I haven't really done much creative writing recently, more commercial stuff for advertising. As for acting, I admit that it's a career I'd love to get into, especially musical theatre, I'm taking Theatre Studies next year so I can live and dream :')

Well, I only tend to draw my RP characters, and I'm on an indefinite hiatus from RPing (2 and a half years straight takes it out of you), so I don't really have much to draw, though I have started on a bit of a random piece.
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2011, 11:33:22 PM »
Whoops, I forgot to acknowledge some posts.

dude that pixel art is fuckin rad

Thanks man, glad you like it.

Awesome stuff in here!

Love the amputee :D

Maybe I will post some of my 100 Words pieces...

Do it. And thanks!

That pixel art is amazing, especially the current batch. The palette choices and gradients really give that distinctive look. I've always sucked at 2D, so I always respect anyone who can actually do it. :tup

Wow, means a lot coming from you, man! I really love the work you've done, your 3D stuff is fantastic!

Heretic, have you ever done any work for video games? Namely animated sprites?

Not looking to commission you or anything (though I totally would try to if I was making something), just curious if you have anything to show in that department!

I've done a bit, but most of it is old and outdated. There's some stuff on my pixeljoint profile, which is in my signature, if you'd like to look at some of the old, blegh stuff! Haha.

Not at the moment I don't, no, I haven't really done much creative writing recently, more commercial stuff for advertising. As for acting, I admit that it's a career I'd love to get into, especially musical theatre, I'm taking Theatre Studies next year so I can live and dream :')

Well, I only tend to draw my RP characters, and I'm on an indefinite hiatus from RPing (2 and a half years straight takes it out of you), so I don't really have much to draw, though I have started on a bit of a random piece.

That sounds awesome! Acting is very fun. And glad to hear you're drawing a bit, no matter how much, haha.

Offline jsem

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2011, 03:05:21 PM »
Amazing pixel artwork. :clap:

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2011, 07:57:03 PM »
Hey, your artwork is really, really well done!  Pixel art always interested me, and I have seen very little done better than some of the examples that you have showed us in this thread.  As for the others, it's a bit hard to fully appreciate the paintings by the camera quality, (they look like they deserve a scanner!) but you look like you're absolutely ace in that field as well.  I've been wanting to get a start in art for a long time now, and I daresay you've helped to inspire me to give it a go!  Well done.  I'd love to see more of your material in the future!

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2011, 01:26:26 AM »
I love browsing these types of threads, however I wish some people would post their writing so I can become comfortable posting mine. I've been working on a fantasy novel for quite awhile now, but I find it hard to dedicate time to doing it when I have so many hobbies and interests, let alone a girlfriend, so I don't have much spare time. I'm sitting somewhere between 60-70 thousand words at the moment, my goal is to get at least 120 thousand, but the way its setting up, it appears like it's going to be a lot bigger!

BTW, awesome pixel art.  :tup

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2011, 09:56:28 AM »
Amazing pixel artwork. :clap:

Thank you! :)

Hey, your artwork is really, really well done!  Pixel art always interested me, and I have seen very little done better than some of the examples that you have showed us in this thread.  As for the others, it's a bit hard to fully appreciate the paintings by the camera quality, (they look like they deserve a scanner!) but you look like you're absolutely ace in that field as well.  I've been wanting to get a start in art for a long time now, and I daresay you've helped to inspire me to give it a go!  Well done.  I'd love to see more of your material in the future!

Thanks! I really appreciate it. Art is one of my biggest loves and it's really something I like to see other people get into, so be sure to post here when you get started!

I love browsing these types of threads, however I wish some people would post their writing so I can become comfortable posting mine. I've been working on a fantasy novel for quite awhile now, but I find it hard to dedicate time to doing it when I have so many hobbies and interests, let alone a girlfriend, so I don't have much spare time. I'm sitting somewhere between 60-70 thousand words at the moment, my goal is to get at least 120 thousand, but the way its setting up, it appears like it's going to be a lot bigger!

BTW, awesome pixel art.  :tup

Yeah I wish other people would post here as well, I'd like seeing the creative output of others, especially at a prog forum. And thank you!

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2011, 10:13:24 AM »
Even stuff like your artwork inspires me to write more, the creative genius' of some people can inspire many.  :D

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2011, 11:48:14 AM »
Fake pokemon stuff i made.

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2011, 12:01:46 PM »
I created this with a 3D modeler.  I spent many many hours on it.  It's mainly what I see when sitting at my cubicle at work with a little artistic flair.  I modeled everything on this even the pencil and push pins.

I talk about how I built it on this page.
https://cdaniel.awardspace.com/index.php/how-this-site-was-built
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 02:11:24 PM by Durg »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2011, 12:13:08 PM »
Pic doesn't work.   :-[

Offline Durg

« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2011, 12:47:12 PM »
Pic doesn't work.   :-[

That better?  I moved it to Picasa.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2011, 01:37:23 PM »

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2011, 03:20:05 PM »
Fake pokemon stuff i made.

Very nice! I like the DS version of Rotom the best.

I created this with a 3D modeler.  I spent many many hours on it.  It's mainly what I see when sitting at my cubicle at work with a little artistic flair.  I modeled everything on this even the pencil and push pins.

I talk about how I built it on this page.
https://cdaniel.awardspace.com/index.php/how-this-site-was-built

Insane, man! I really like the unique take on this image. Excellent work.

Even stuff like your artwork inspires me to write more, the creative genius' of some people can inspire many.  :D

I really appreciate that. :)

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2011, 09:01:36 PM »
I think maybe I'll post a snippet of my work here in a bit, I have to find a part to pick though.

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2011, 09:43:41 PM »
Very nice! I like the DS version of Rotom the best.

Thanks!

Offline Durg

« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2011, 06:08:01 AM »

Insane, man! I really like the unique take on this image. Excellent work.

I really appreciate the complement.  When I show this and other 3D imaging pics to people they don't understand how hard it is to make it look real.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2011, 05:29:02 PM »
I am not an artist. This is the first thing in at least 6 or 7 years that I actually tried hard on. This took me about five hours, I think it came out pretty good. I drew it for my new lady friend who loves rabbits and plaid shirts. It's all colored pencil.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2011, 05:31:51 PM »
Why is he wearing a shirt but no pan--

I drew it for my new lady friend [...]

Ohhhhhhh.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2011, 07:47:49 PM »
There needs to be more contributions!

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2011, 01:56:49 PM »
Nice work, Chino!

Updated this some. Still fairly far away from a completion point, but I'm enjoying the changes and refinements I've made on it thus far.

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2011, 02:00:45 PM »
WE NEED SOME SONATA UP IN THIS BITCH

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2011, 02:51:10 PM »
I really like it Heretic! Discworld-inspired I'm guessing?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2011, 08:16:34 PM »
Thanks, Rich! I'm actually not too familiar with Discworld, so no, it was actually inspired by a text my friend and I wrote a good few years back about a giant turtle carrying a man across a desert :lol

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2011, 05:05:35 PM »
That's awesome Heretic  :tup

Offline Ħ

« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2011, 08:00:51 PM »
Do you guys just have it in you?  If not, where/how to you develop the skill?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2011, 08:48:18 PM »
Do you guys just have it in you?  If not, where/how to you develop the skill?

I guess the thing to say here is practice makes perfect. I've been inspired tons by a thread on ConcepArt.org where a grown man who'd never drawn a thing before in his life began drawing and drawing and drawing and now he's a professional painting portraits and scenes that'd fit right into the Renaissance itself.

If you're interested in art and would like to get into it, my first suggestion would be to get yourself a sketchbook, some drawing pencils, ranging in different values (from H to 9B is normally good), and to start drawing from life. Draw anything around you, draw your friends, your family, your dog, your potted plant, your Mike Portnoy action figure, anything! Google online for some drawing tutorials, they'll get you into the right habit of what you need to be doing. Most every drawing starts out with some sort of basic structure/form. When I draw human beings I always start off with general shapes that signify the form of what I'm drawing-- basic cubes, circles, anything to convey structure and volume. You refine from there.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, you just have to start somewhere. I've been drawing since I was a really young lad and I've always been interested in art. Not until middle school did I start getting serious about it, and now as a senior in High School I'm looking into becoming a professional artist, art teacher, and instructor for my career. The more you draw, the better you get, but like I said, you have to start somewhere. Start off basic, start by drawing simple things from life, and continue drawing things around you. You'll eventually get a feel for what you're drawing and start developing techniques. Going out and buying various art instruction books helps as well. Constructive Anatomy by George Bridgman did wonders for me.

I'm kind of ranting without any general direction right now, but if you (or anyone else) have any specific questions about starting out I'd be glad to answer them and help you out. This thread's here to help, of course!

@Silver Tears: thank you! I appreciate it. :)

Offline Ħ

« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2011, 08:50:51 PM »
Whoa, thanks for the response man!  Well, are there any good intro-to-art websites that you'd recommend?  I'm a "by-the-book" guy, so following a manual would be best for me, at least in the beginning.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2011, 09:12:34 PM »
Here's a link to the PDF file of Bridgman's Constructive Anatomy, which is basically the greatest authority on anatomical and structural drawing.

Here are some other useful links:

https://hippie.nu/~unicorn/tut/xhtml/ <--- This should help immensely, all artists should read this tutorial. It's really helpful.

https://www.fineart.sk/photo-references/andrew-loomis-anatomy-books <--- Andrew Loomis anatomy and figure tutorials. Pretty useful stuff, although I find his methods a bit off of realistic to the point anatomy, which is where Bridgman excels, imo.

https://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42 <--- A forum section dedicated to nothing but tutorials and art resources. It's a hefty amount of stuff to look through, but all worth it, especially the tutorials on perspective and construction.

https://www.anticz.com/heads.htm <--- Excellent head tutorial!

https://artwiki.wikidot.com/traditional-drawing-painting-links <--- A TON of art tutorials, all traditional.

https://www.rexart.com/glossary.html <--- Excellent glossary of art terms.

https://www.cedarseed.com/fire/handstut.html <--- A nice hand tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Cre8tivemark <--- A great youtube channel full of awesome stuff.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2011, 10:57:23 PM »
Well, crap.