Author Topic: The Winery Dogs thread - Portnoy, Sheehan and Kotzen  (Read 113117 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: The Winery Dogs thread - Portnoy, Sheehan and Kotzen
« Reply #735 on: June 03, 2019, 10:47:17 AM »
Luca Turilli's Rhapsody had the first album ever produced for the Dolby Atmos sound system and was even submitted for a Grammy (not sure if it won). Historic album by that measure, at the very least. I saw them play to maybe 200 people in Chicago. Sometimes hard work just goes unappreciated in the business. C'est la vie. *shrug*
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #736 on: June 03, 2019, 11:07:55 AM »
Well, I apologize; I don't mean to pound on anyone for "deserve"; I just hate that word, I guess.   

I remember being at the Genesis forum a couple years ago (it was more than that, because it was in the run-up to the 2007 stadium tour) and I got into a discussion with a member (in every sense of the word) that was up in arms because they were "only" doing a stadium tour (20 dates in Europe and 20 dates in the U.S.) as a trio, and he was convinced that if only Phil would "let" Pete and Steve come back they could do multiple nights in each stadium playing "The Lamb". 

I never did find out what planet he was born on; he just had this belief that because he loved it, everyone would love it.  The reality is, it's a business, and more often than not, if 500 people show up, it's because that's what their audience is.  This isn't Mike's first tour after DT; he's a club/small theater artist at this point, full stop.  It's been a decade now, and the needle has found it's equilibrium. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #737 on: June 03, 2019, 11:12:39 AM »
And he did get his taste of big time playing with Avenged Sevenfold which ironically is when he then transitioned to a small theater musician

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #738 on: February 10, 2020, 06:10:10 PM »
Richie gave an update on the Dogs. Says they plan on getting together a few times over the year for some writing sessions. Says 2021 for a new album, maybe.

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-richie-kotzen/

We did a North American tour last year and had a great time. While on tour, we talked about getting together periodically in 2020 at each other’s homes and throw some ideas around; to see what we walk out of there with. Once we know we have some interesting ideas which are above and beyond the last two records, then we can talk timing and put something out. Assuming all of that comes together, it’s possible that in 2021 we can see some new music coming from the band.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #739 on: February 10, 2020, 06:18:57 PM »
I really hope so. The Dogs are still my favorite post-DT Portnoy band, and it's mostly because of Richie Kotzen. Speaking of Richie, he just released '50 for 50' at the start of the month. I'm still working my way through it - it's 50 tracks, and much as I love Richie, a lot of it sounds like filler so far. I'm 30 songs in. There are some real gems though. "Devil's Hand" - I hope a song like that finds its way onto the next Dogs record.

I also still think Hot Streak was far and away better than the first record so I'm in the super minority here, but I hope the next one takes some cues from HS. "Spiral" and "Fire" and "The Devil You Know" are killer. So is "Think it Over" - please give me more like that!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #740 on: February 10, 2020, 07:14:16 PM »
TWD is my favorite MP project at the moment and I also *think* I prefer Hot Streak to the debut. It’s close but I think I spin the second one more frequently these days (even though it has a couple notable low spots that weren’t on the first one). Fingers crossed that we can get something new in 2021.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #741 on: February 11, 2020, 07:03:43 AM »
+1 on this being my favorite MP band.  I like both albums fairly equally and their live show is awesome.  I feel like I would like Ritchie's solo stuff but honestly, releasing a 50 song album just turns me off from the get go. I respect Ritchie's artistic vision and how he wanted his time away from TWD (which is what kind of lead to SOA) but I defintiely feel it's in his and MP's (probably Billy too) best interests if they focused more on TWD.  Just my opinion, as I already said they are my favorite of MP's bands but I also think they are the most successful and have the most potential being more of a classic rock sounding band.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #742 on: February 11, 2020, 07:21:03 AM »
Interesting about HOF's and Kattelox's pov. I prefer the S/T over Hot Streak. Hot Streaks sounds more like a Kotzen solo album. Very similar arrangements in the vein of Salting Earth and Cannibals (Kotzen's last two albums prior to 50/50).

Offline HOF

« Reply #743 on: February 11, 2020, 08:09:05 AM »
I think for me Hot Streak is a little more musically diverse, though I really am not trying to slag the debut by saying that. I loved them both, and I think the debut is more consistent throughout. But I think Hot Streak might have higher highs if that makes sense.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #744 on: February 11, 2020, 09:19:21 AM »
The first album is great, but the highlights of Hot Streak put it over the top for me personally. Both records are my favorite thing MP's done outside of DT. Honestly, Spiral and Fire are the two that make the album my favorite, I just love those tracks to death.

Offline HOF

« Reply #745 on: February 11, 2020, 09:48:33 AM »
The funny thing is I would say Fire is a low point on Hot Streak (along with Captain Love and the title track). The two I love that most people don’t seem to are The Bridge and The Lamb. But How Long, Empire, Ghost Town, Spiral are all up there too.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #746 on: February 11, 2020, 12:23:10 PM »
The page isn't opening anymore.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #747 on: February 12, 2020, 05:20:55 AM »
The page isn't opening anymore.

If you're referring to the Sonic Perspectives article, it's working here at the moment.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #748 on: February 12, 2020, 04:55:17 PM »
Richie released an album called 50 For 50 earlier this month and I went through and picked out my very favorites in case anybody's interested in checking the record out but just doesn't have time for 50 songs from one artist all at once (it's 3.5 hours long). Obviously these won't all click for everybody but I figured I'd share in case anyone wants to give it a shot. There's so much good stuff on this record, but these are the ones that left the biggest impact on me (usually determined by how strong the hook is, chiefly).

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5o82SDCDHgmcj6JOAYnsxj?si=KwpJ7NQUT3KO92QEn36JWA

Wouldn't mind the next Dogs record sounding like some of these. Wide Open could be a could Dogs tune.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #749 on: July 07, 2021, 04:51:46 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/100044540401846/posts/356552862506058/

The Dogs are back in Town! 🍷🐾 #TWD3

I guess this explains where MP was flying to the other day!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #750 on: July 07, 2021, 04:55:12 PM »
Great news, I love TWD most out of any post DT MP band  :metal :metal

Offline HOF

« Reply #751 on: July 07, 2021, 05:04:54 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/100044540401846/posts/356552862506058/

The Dogs are back in Town! 🍷🐾 #TWD3

I guess this explains where MP was flying to the other day!

-Marc.

Just saw this (and thought that might be where he was flying). This is my favorite MP project since he left DT actually. Glad they are making another album!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #752 on: July 07, 2021, 07:26:28 PM »
Hopefully they can return to a more collaborative approach like the 1st one. The 2nd sounded more like a Richie solo album.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #753 on: July 07, 2021, 07:44:59 PM »
Kotzen looks like he just rapped with the burning bush on Mt Sinai.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #754 on: July 07, 2021, 07:47:30 PM »

Gee, and I thought he looked like Tempus Vox. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #755 on: July 07, 2021, 08:04:43 PM »
Hopefully they can return to a more collaborative approach like the 1st one. The 2nd sounded more like a Richie solo album.

Initially I didn’t think the second one stacked up to the first, but I revisit it more often than the debut these days.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #756 on: July 07, 2021, 08:14:15 PM »
Are they in Arizona?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #757 on: July 08, 2021, 07:10:12 AM »

Haha, good call!!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #758 on: July 08, 2021, 07:35:49 AM »
Man, they all look super old.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #759 on: July 08, 2021, 07:58:12 AM »
  :rollin
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline HOF

« Reply #760 on: July 08, 2021, 08:25:45 AM »
Man, they all look super old.

Sheehan is 68. He’s stayed relatively ageless looking for a long time, but he really does look older here.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #761 on: July 08, 2021, 09:02:29 AM »
More power to them, for that.  Nothing worse than the aging rock star with the stringy jet-black dyed hair, which makes their already haggard and drawn-out faces look that much more haggard and drawn-out. 

Offline Volante99

« Reply #762 on: July 08, 2021, 10:45:05 AM »
More power to them, for that.  Nothing worse than the aging rock star with the stringy jet-black dyed hair, which makes their already haggard and drawn-out faces look that much more haggard and drawn-out.

Hey now, just because it’s a Winery Dogs thread doesn’t mean you gotta bash the remaining DT members!  ;) :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #763 on: July 08, 2021, 02:18:45 PM »
Like Simmons and Stanley?  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #764 on: July 09, 2021, 07:33:18 AM »
Certainly Simmons.  That raccoon hat he wears is ridiculous.   Paul always looks pale, not sure why, but he's not that bad looking for pushing 70.  I was thinking more of those vampires that used to play on Sunset Blvd in the 80's and 90's.   :) :)

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #765 on: July 12, 2021, 07:10:20 PM »

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #766 on: July 13, 2021, 12:04:54 AM »

Definitely.

Steve Vai, for example, had the off-putting mono-coloured hair of someone blatantly dying it until he let his natural grey out recently and he looks way better for it.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #767 on: July 13, 2021, 02:29:55 AM »
Doesn't Steve Vai have light-blue hair?
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #768 on: July 13, 2021, 05:55:14 AM »

Definitely.

Steve Vai, for example, had the off-putting mono-coloured hair of someone blatantly dying it until he let his natural grey out recently and he looks way better for it.

Yeah. I've never been a massive Vai fan or anything but he came up in my YouTube suggestions a couple of weeks ago. Thought he a) looked great and b) spoke incredibly thoughtfully.

Not that it's any of our business - of course - but perhaps JP's wife ought to have a word in his shell-like and ask him to put the black dye down :biggrin: Although the dyed black beard sure ain't helping, either.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #769 on: March 23, 2022, 05:14:24 PM »
FINALLY diving into my vocal & percussion tracks for #TWD3 Having been away from these tracks for so long, it’s awesome hearing them again with fresh ears! Some GREAT songs…wow! Can’t wait to finally release this (and no, we don’t have a release date yet…)
The Winery Dogs

-Marc.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 08:51:43 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!