Author Topic: The Winery Dogs thread - Portnoy, Sheehan and Kotzen  (Read 112601 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Re: The Winery Dogs thread - Portnoy, Sheehan and Kotzen
« Reply #700 on: April 30, 2019, 09:48:01 AM »
I'm monitoring Groupon for my local show. The regular price for tickets is ridiculous. THey are playing an old movie theater that is a beautiful venue (seen a bunch of bands there), but the price is absolutely stupid.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #701 on: April 30, 2019, 09:54:33 AM »
From MP's twitter:

Rehearsals w @thewinerydogs have been great! This is gonna be a great tour...several songs being played for the very 1st time and several that haven’t been played since the 1st tour 6 yrs ago...don’t miss this chance to see the Dogs back in action again!

:metal hope they play The Lamb but I'm glad they are playing the unplayed songs from before

HAHAHAHAHA, I'm burning "Genesis" to my network drive, so I read that and I immediately thought "THAT'S an interesting cover..."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #702 on: April 30, 2019, 11:03:45 AM »
Tickets for the Dallas show are $25, and at the initial onsale you could buy them for $10. That's pretty standard for the venue they play here. Max cap is 3k, and they'll probably bring 750 or so. Perfect venue for them, really. It's big AF, with a large stage, but it works just as well for small crowds. It's always got that club vibe despite being a purpose built concert hall.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #703 on: April 30, 2019, 11:17:39 AM »
Thinking about going to the Dallas show. I hope I can make it. It’s a great venue to see them.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #704 on: April 30, 2019, 12:40:34 PM »
Tickets for the Dallas show are $25, and at the initial onsale you could buy them for $10. That's pretty standard for the venue they play here. Max cap is 3k, and they'll probably bring 750 or so. Perfect venue for them, really. It's big AF, with a large stage, but it works just as well for small crowds. It's always got that club vibe despite being a purpose built concert hall.

55 to 75 bucks here. Crazy.

I'd happily spend $25.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #705 on: April 30, 2019, 12:53:58 PM »
Tickets for GA at the Anaheim show was $50+.  Groupon had it for $17.50.  Groupon also had a 20% off sales on the day I bought my ticket, so I only paid $14.00.  It's only limited to the far back sections of GA though.  Can't complain for only $14.00 whereas if I really loved them, I wouldn't mind paying $50 for bands like Skillet/Sevendust and Within Temptation where I gladly paid $50.00 for a good GA ticket, no questions asked.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #706 on: April 30, 2019, 12:57:11 PM »

55 to 75 bucks here. Crazy.

I'd happily spend $25.

Yea, the NYC show is more on the expensive side.  I just looked and paid close to $100 for a VIP seat at face value.  I don't see any of those tickets for sale anymore nor on stubhub, wonder fi I could convert that to a cheap GA ticket, but whatever, I've never been to this venue and maybe the seats are the better experience. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #707 on: April 30, 2019, 05:21:45 PM »
I'm only checking into this thread for what seems to be the current discussion anyway: the insane ticket price. Lowest ticket for the NH show is $60. Winery Dogs just isn't a $60 band. $30-$35 or so and I'd go.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline DTA

« Reply #708 on: April 30, 2019, 05:31:58 PM »
I'm only checking into this thread for what seems to be the current discussion anyway: the insane ticket price. Lowest ticket for the NH show is $60. Winery Dogs just isn't a $60 band. $30-$35 or so and I'd go.

And they're doing 2 shows there. What bizarre scheduling in NH of all places. Why not Boston?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #709 on: April 30, 2019, 05:47:32 PM »
It's really strange. Half their shows are twenty five bucks, and half are 60-80. Seems to be the New England folk that got fleeced. We southerners came out real well. Don't recall seeing anything like that before.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #710 on: April 30, 2019, 05:59:33 PM »
Yeah, I thought about catching the NH one tomorrow, then saw it was $60 and almost two hours from my house. NOPE!

Maybe I’ll see the dogs one day. Had something happen every time they were in the area before.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #711 on: May 01, 2019, 07:36:03 AM »
That does seem pretty pricey.  Perhaps Portnoy should do a little advertising:

"Come see the Dogs live while you still have a chance, since I could leave this band, like I have others, at any time!!"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #712 on: May 01, 2019, 07:38:00 AM »

"Come see the Dogs live while you still have a chance, since I could leave this band, like I have others, at any time!!"

I read this in Trump's voice
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #713 on: May 01, 2019, 09:09:33 AM »
Prices are set by the promoters, not by The Winery Dogs. If the promoter feels that 60 bucks per ticket at a 500 seat theater, will produce a return on his investment, then that is what the price will be. TWD have a set guarantee. They will get paid whether they play to 1 person or a full house. The extra income for the TWD from merch sales will probably be abysmal for a small crowd due to the high ticket prices. And promoter will not book them again because he lost money.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #714 on: May 01, 2019, 05:32:05 PM »
Setlist.fm doesn't have a full setlist, but looks like they played The Lamb, I am a happy man  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #715 on: May 01, 2019, 06:34:26 PM »

I read this in Trump's voice

:rollin :rollin
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #716 on: May 01, 2019, 07:10:48 PM »
Setlist.fm doesn't have a full setlist, but looks like they played The Lamb, I am a happy man  :metal

Yessssss!!!! The guitar solo is insane!!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #717 on: May 01, 2019, 07:17:22 PM »

And they're doing 2 shows there. What bizarre scheduling in NH of all places. Why not Boston?

I live 25 minutes from that venue and it's such a cool place to see bands.  I've seen Toto, Eric Johnson,  BOC, The Fixx, David Crosby there.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #718 on: May 01, 2019, 07:20:58 PM »
They are playing a 1/2 away from me in a venue that holds a max of 700.  It's an awesome place to see a show.

I live 25 minutes from that venue and it's such a cool place to see bands.

:huh:

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #719 on: May 01, 2019, 07:38:00 PM »
Depends how fast I drive Tim! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #720 on: May 03, 2019, 11:11:51 PM »
The Winery Dogs - The Lamb Live @ Sony Music Hall NYC

:corn :metal

such an awesome concert, place was packed and every song felt like it had something awesome musically to offer with jams and solos.  Billy's bass was LOUD too.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #721 on: May 31, 2019, 07:27:09 PM »
All right, now that I have a day to gather my thoughts after seeing The Winery Dogs at the City National Grove of Anaheim, last night.  I will say this.  What a great show.  It's a nice feeling when you have three great showmen that's really f'en good at their instruments come together and they were a well-oiled unit.  I didn't think Sheehan and MP would be the greatest fit harmonizing with Kotzen vocally, but it was a solid fit.  I also didn't mind Sheehan's bass solo spot, but I think it lasted a bit too long than it should have, but it's still good.  After his bass solo was done, he segue nicely by playing the bass intro into Ghost Town (one of my favorite from the Hot Streak album).  Kotzen had some time with the crowd only by himself with a keyboard and played something from his solo stuff which was very lovely.  Oddly enough, I thought there would be a MP drum solo, and I was quite shocked when it didn't happen.  That stated, he was very entertaining on the drums as he should be and very engaging with the crowd, making a lot of "I see you there, keep that enthusiasm going" pointing gestures.

Now the sad news.  I didn't care about the first two opening bands.  There was this one band that played their entire set instrumentally.  It sounded nice and trippy at times and very flashy, but there wasn't anything memorable or something I want to listen to again.  These are the moments where you truly do appreciate bands like DT where they can do the flashy stuff, but is able to keep the song together that makes you want to relisten to the song and the vocals and the lyrics.  The first opening band was not that.  The second opening band had that classic party rock vibe to me which was not going to do it for me from the get-go, but they sounded all right.  Just something I wouldn't care to listen to again and I think the crowd was polite about those bands, but I don't think they care much for it as well.

Also more sad news.  This place holds around 1,700 people and I think I can spot at least 500 people being there when Winery Dogs came out and I would think that 1,000 people being there was pushing it when it comes to the actual attendance.  It's a bloody shame since the Groupon Voucher that costs $17.50 for this show was there for the last few weeks and only about 40 people bought it.  Heck, there was one guy outside that was looking for a cheap ticket and I thought "Dude, if you took a look around in outlets like Groupon, you would have nabbed tickets at a lower price like I did."  This was my view for the ticket I got for $14.00 behind the rail of the front section of GA.  Pretty friken sweet, honestly.  I felt that Winery Dogs honestly deserved to have played in front of a packed house, because they were really good from start to finish and the crowd was appreciative of them and the band noticed that as well and responded in kind.

Overall, yeah.  For $14.00 for the ticket and $12 for parking, I had a tremendous time and probably got the best value this year for the price I paid to be at this show.  I honestly enjoyed seeing Winery Dogs last night more than seeing DT back in March (the one guy standing on the chair really ruined a lot of the enjoyment of the show for me).  I put this as my third favorite concert of the year so far, behind Within Temptation and Switchfoot, but if those shows didn't happen this year, I probably would have pegged The Winery Dogs as my favorite concert of the year at this point.  Cheap ticket, cheap parking, great vibe, and venue next to Angels Stadium and all kinds of restaurants?  What's not to love?  I know that Delain is playing a show in this same venue in October and after the atmosphere I had at this place, I wouldn't mind buying a ticket now.

Go see these guys if the opportunity presents itself and the price is fitting.  They did say that three years of being gone was too long and they want to do a new album and come back to doing shows again and it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.  I wouldn't mind doing it again.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 09:03:18 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #722 on: May 31, 2019, 07:36:43 PM »
I thought Billy seemed really happy playing with TWD, he sounded good too.  Sucks it wasn't packed, but it seems like MP bands often only get like 500 people or so. The NYC show was packed but its also hometown and big city, that's definitely not the norm for them in other parts of the states.  As long as you had a blast thats what matters and they put on a damn good show.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #723 on: May 31, 2019, 07:44:26 PM »
I think the main issue was that they were also playing a show in the LA area the next night.  I have observed that, unless you are a big-time arena sized band, if you do a show in both Orange Country and Los Angeles in the same leg, the attendance is going to suffer in one of those shows, most likely the OC show.  I saw Big Wreck, last year, in a venue in Santa Ana that holds 300 people.  Only 200 people came and they rarely tour in the states, but they also had another show in LA, but I would be pretty certain that the LA show would be packed. 

Sons of Apollo had the same issue as well.  Played a venue in LA that holds around 1,000.  Had another show at the Anaheim House of Blues which holds 2,000 and there was a Groupon out for that Anaheim show and I think only about 20 people bought it.  Not a good sign and I know I picked the better MP show here, last night, and that's not a big slight on SOA as it was Winery Dogs was really good and put a great show.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #724 on: May 31, 2019, 08:28:38 PM »

such an awesome concert, place was packed and every song felt like it had something awesome musically to offer with jams and solos.  Billy's bass was LOUD too.

Awesome Vid, Cram!

Winery Dogs honestly deserved to have played in front of a packed house, because they were really good from start to finish and the crowd was appreciative of them and the band noticed that as well and responded in kind.

Why do they deserve it? I mean, Cram's video is really cool, so they seem like a good club band, but that's about it. Their music is pretty boring IMO. Tons of other bands playing way better music.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #725 on: May 31, 2019, 09:02:47 PM »
Why do they deserve it? I mean, Cram's video is really cool, so they seem like a good club band, but that's about it. Their music is pretty boring IMO. Tons of other bands playing way better music.

Tons of bands may have better music, but I don't think many bands are going to be as entertaining as these guys were on that night, imo.  I had my doubts for whatever reasons, but when push comes to shove, I was thoroughly entertaining in anything these guys were doing.  Besides, I paid $14.00 for my ticket.  I thought there was a chance that these guys was going to just play their songs, not care at all, grab a paycheck, go home, not be interesting or engaging to the crowd.  That did not feel like the case and they were playing their butts off as if they were playing in front of a packed crowd instead of like 500-1000 people.  Of course, that's how I felt.  Maybe I should go ahead and edit that part to, "I felt" to make things better then.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #726 on: June 01, 2019, 07:36:50 AM »
I wouldn't describe their music as boring like TAC did, but I agree with him that there are tons of bands doing better music these days.  I heard the first album a few times and it sounded pretty good, but I remember very little of it; there was not much that made me think, "I want to hear this again!"  I suspect their live shows would be fun given that particular style, but they are simply not a band I would go out of my way to listen to or see.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #727 on: June 01, 2019, 09:09:57 AM »

Awesome Vid, Cram!

Thanks, this video actually came out really well in terms of sound and picture.  Unlike my Greta Van Fleet video  :lol

But I'm not sure I agree with you guys.  If you think they are boring, well there's nothing I can say to change that and I know you've given them a try, but while I don't think they deserve anything they do bring something to the table that is above club bands and that's their master musicianship.  They sounded so tight and their abilities are above your average band, by far.  I see a lot of shows and most of them don't come across as well as that Winery Dogs show in terms of three dudes performing at a high level.  Lots of jamming too, you can easily see MP's eyes on Billy throughout my video as they work on timing and whatnot, I found that really awesome to see.  Also it looked like they were having a lot of fun on stage, some arena bands don't give that vibe. 

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #728 on: June 01, 2019, 09:23:27 AM »

Awesome Vid, Cram!

Thanks, this video actually came out really well in terms of sound and picture.  Unlike my Greta Van Fleet video  :lol

But I'm not sure I agree with you guys.  If you think they are boring, well there's nothing I can say to change that and I know you've given them a try, but while I don't think they deserve anything they do bring something to the table that is above club bands and that's their master musicianship.  They sounded so tight and their abilities are above your average band, by far.  I see a lot of shows and most of them don't come across as well as that Winery Dogs show in terms of three dudes performing at a high level.  Lots of jamming too, you can easily see MP's eyes on Billy throughout my video as they work on timing and whatnot, I found that really awesome to see.  Also it looked like they were having a lot of fun on stage, some arena bands don't give that vibe.

Agree with the bolded part

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #729 on: June 01, 2019, 09:25:02 AM »
Winery Dogs freaking rule... first album is good but Hot Streak is so much better imo. I know that's an opinion way in the minority but I can't get enough Winery Dogs. I want a third album NOW...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #730 on: June 01, 2019, 09:43:11 AM »
Winery Dogs freaking rule... first album is good but Hot Streak is so much better imo. I know that's an opinion way in the minority but I can't get enough Winery Dogs. I want a third album NOW...

agree with the bolded part too.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #731 on: June 01, 2019, 10:37:58 AM »
 :lol agreed about wanting another album, I'm torn about which one I like more.  Both very consistently good albums, but Hot Streak has Ghost Town and The Lamb.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #732 on: June 01, 2019, 11:36:58 AM »
:lol agreed about wanting another album, I'm torn about which one I like more.  Both very consistently good albums, but Hot Streak has Ghost Town and The Lamb.

I like the first better but by thin hair

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #733 on: June 03, 2019, 09:03:44 AM »
I'm kind of with TAC and Cram on this.  It's fun watching guys at the level of Mike and Billy play (I got to stand about three feet in front of Billy Sheehan for the last tour, and I STILL don't know how he did some of the things he did) but the music does little for me, and I don't quite get the "deserve" comment.  What do musicians "deserve"?    What does ANYONE "deserve"? 

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #734 on: June 03, 2019, 10:37:46 AM »
All right, when I say deserve, I just feel like they worked hard at their live set and they played their butts off and that I felt that this is a band that should feasibly play in front of 1,500 people instead of 500-1000 people.  In terms of the studio stuff, I thought for both albums that the songs were just there, nothing terrible, although there are some solid standouts like Ghost Town and The Bridge among others.  That's how much I really liked their live set.  That's how I feel about things when I say "they deserve all the success they had."

Jebus.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 10:44:44 AM by Anguyen92 »