Author Topic: The Winery Dogs thread - Portnoy, Sheehan and Kotzen  (Read 113183 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: The Winery Dogs thread - Portnoy, Sheehan and Kotzen
« Reply #630 on: October 29, 2018, 04:35:35 PM »
MP was my favorite member of DT. I was crushed when he left, not because I was worried about what DT would do, but because I knew I would have to follow MP from project to project. If there was one I liked, I figured it would be a one and done anyway. I haven't really liked anything he's done since leaving DT. And that bums me out. Even SOA, which I should like, I thought was terrible. I know he and whatever musicians he's working with will absolutely bring it live, but for all intents and purposes, MP basically fell off the map for me.

And that is what really sucks and blows. :)

Sons of Apollo was excellent, as have been the NMB albums.  But aside from that, I tend to agree with you.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #631 on: October 29, 2018, 04:38:27 PM »
Well, SOA definitely did not do it for me. It does deserve a second chance though. Neal Morse....that's just not my thing. :)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #632 on: October 29, 2018, 05:48:58 PM »
I think I'm leaning toward Onesti screwing up and jumping the gun on sales. MP will be touring with Neal Feb-Apr. I could see him coming back from Europe and then doing a quick practice session with the Dogs and embarking on a tour in May. We'll see.

The dude is notorious for jumping the gun on things.  He puts stuff on sale long before bands announce tours.  Considering how on the ball MP is with stuff like this, I wouldn't doubt if he found out and immediately took action. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #633 on: October 30, 2018, 08:00:57 AM »
To be honest, I'd be very surprised if The Winery Dogs actually comes back. I mean, they made some decent tunes, and apparently the shows were fun, but it wasn't growing and not really going anywhere. I mean, if you ask Eddie Trunk, he'd probably want half their profit for him putting together the band (like he always is quick to tell folks).  :lol

But seriously, the Winery Dogs really didn't DO anything. I mean, I know Sons of Apollo are doing another record, and if that doesn't take a leap, I don't see them doing another either.

I almost - ALMOST - want TWD to never come back for that very reason.  Shut Trunk the f--- up. My god. 

Anyway, I'm not exactly with TAC on this, I don't think they BLEW, but it didn't move me much.   LIve it was fun to see Mike but the highlight was that I was literally three feet from Billy Sheehan watching him do what he does in real time (I still don't quite know how he does it) and talking briefly with him after the show, but i'm not holding my breath for more, to be honest.  I'm not holding my breath for ANYTHING that Mike is doing that doesn't have "Neal Morse" involved in it too, to be honest.    That makes me sad.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #634 on: October 30, 2018, 08:11:30 AM »
TWD is easily my favorite MP project and it's largely because of Richie. Pleeeease give us a third album soon
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #635 on: October 30, 2018, 01:00:28 PM »
So, I'm really really leaning to Onesti screwing up now. Richie is hinting that they are firing it up sooner rather than later.

https://loudwire.com/tenacious-d-sons-of-apollo-more-album-updates-2018-bowl-for-ronnie/

- While many acts are gearing up for new music, Richie Kotzen tells us he's excited for a bit of a break. After releasing the solo album Salting Earth in 2017, Kotzen will wrap touring for the disc this week in New York, at which point he intends to return to the new home that he just bought and do some handiwork getting the new place to his liking. “I need that balance. More than anything I like to create and write songs, and I can’t write songs if I’m doing the same thing every day. I’ve got to do some different things,” says Kotzen. When asked about The Winery Dogs, his band with Mike Portnoy and Billy Sheehan, he offered, "Keep your eyes and ears open. It may be happening sooner than you think.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #636 on: October 30, 2018, 01:06:41 PM »
Given the info on Sons of Apollo going in the studio the first week of January, I wonder...if MP is off tour right now (not sure), I wonder if they are working on The Winery Dogs right now, with an eye on a 2019 release.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #637 on: October 30, 2018, 03:43:25 PM »
i thought billy already said in an interview they were going to do the new album last summer?

also, if i google winery dogs 2019, top link is Graspop 2019 ;-)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #638 on: October 31, 2018, 06:45:11 AM »
I would love see them live. still on my to do list

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #639 on: October 31, 2018, 09:58:03 AM »
Off topic, but I wonder if Hellyeah may have reached out to Portnoy to fill their drumming spot after Vinnie Paul's passing.  I mean, as busy as he is, I don't see how he could do it without compromising other stuff and spreading himself too thin.  But on the other hand, this seems like it would be the kind of gig that would suit him in terms of drumming style and being able to play decent sized venues and touring with some pretty well-known acts. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #640 on: October 31, 2018, 10:01:34 AM »
Off topic, but I wonder if Hellyeah may have reached out to Portnoy to fill their drumming spot after Vinnie Paul's passing.  I mean, as busy as he is, I don't see how he could do it without compromising other stuff and spreading himself too thin.  But on the other hand, this seems like it would be the kind of gig that would suit him in terms of drumming style and being able to play decent sized venues and touring with some pretty well-known acts.

That's a good call. I mean, Hellyeah aren't necessarily at the level of A7X or even DT, so I am not sure it would pay enough to justify, but it is a higher profile gig than what he's currently doing, that's for sure.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Phil Anselmo and Rex Brown reunite under a new name and go forward playing Pantera music. It might take another year or so to get it all set up, and prepare the marketing, but I could see that happening. Perhaps with Portnoy and Zakk Wylde (considering Ozzy is about done). I'd support that, as long as it wasn't called Pantera.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #641 on: October 31, 2018, 11:19:31 AM »
To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Phil Anselmo and Rex Brown reunite under a new name and go forward playing Pantera music. It might take another year or so to get it all set up, and prepare the marketing, but I could see that happening. Perhaps with Portnoy and Zakk Wylde (considering Ozzy is about done). I'd support that, as long as it wasn't called Pantera.

Wow, that'd be pretty insane, and I don't even like Pantera.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #642 on: October 31, 2018, 11:22:14 AM »
They'd play amphitheaters. It'd be huge. And right up Portnoy's alley. Would not be surprised at all. And as long as tastefully marketed and done, people would turn out in droves.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #643 on: October 31, 2018, 11:24:29 AM »
Even if it isn't tastefully marketed, they would still have really good turnout.  :lol

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #644 on: October 31, 2018, 12:09:12 PM »

[/quote]

Talk about Phil and Rex doing a thing with Zakk has been going around for some time. I saw Pantera numerous times in the 90's. I don't think anything could recapture what their live shows were like. Anselmo's voice is pretty much gone now. I'm a Zakk Wylde fan and he may be a fan favorite to do the job, but I think Grady Champion would need to be the tech and get Dime's tone to come out of Zakk's guitar.  Wouldn't want to hear Pantera songs with Zakk's tone.

I'm intrigued with the suggestion of MP on drums. I know he could play the stuff, but I don't think MP when I think of Pantera material. Perhaps considering Mario Duplantier from Gojira or Dave Lombardo would be acceptable?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #645 on: October 31, 2018, 12:27:32 PM »
They'd play amphitheaters. It'd be huge. And right up Portnoy's alley. Would not be surprised at all. And as long as tastefully marketed and done, people would turn out in droves.

What's your definition of "huge"?  Who draws from a "Pantera" without either of the Abbott Bros.?  Anselmo isn't putting 7,000 into an ampitheater, and neither is Rex Brown.  MAYBE Zakk, but he didn't do that with BLS, so what makes us think it'll happen here?

This reminds me of the discussion back on the old Genesis board; some guy figured that the three-man version toured stadiums doing the "current" setlist, so the original five playing the Lamb would do MULTIPLE NIGHTS of stadium shows in each city.  He sort of envisioned something like the original Wall shows, but in stadiums.  I felt obligated to let him know that that was a wildly optimistic assumption. 

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #646 on: November 01, 2018, 10:03:52 AM »
With an old picture, the Winery Dogs FB page was updated today, I find this quite unusual, does it means some kind of unknown activity from the band?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #647 on: November 01, 2018, 10:56:49 AM »
Maybe

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #648 on: November 01, 2018, 06:36:55 PM »
I'm not sure I agree.  I felt TWD were the most popular and easily accessible of MP's post DT bands.  Their music was used on Monday Night Football (Hot Streak was used in background music a lot during the season a couple years ago).  I can't think of another MP band that had that exposure.

The shows I saw in Dallas were absolutely packed. I saw both tours (self titled and Hot Streak). The Hot Streak show did better.
They weren't packed but they did draw a good crowd for the two GML shows. The second one was excellent. I enjoyed it a great deal. I thought the Granada show was weak, though.

And Kotzen was the star for all three of them.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #649 on: November 16, 2018, 12:06:41 PM »
Hey, look who's touring starting in May 2019. What a shock.

https://twitter.com/TheWineryDogs/status/1063492195808890880

beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #650 on: November 16, 2018, 12:14:20 PM »
Hell yes :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #652 on: November 16, 2018, 02:23:01 PM »
YAY!!!

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #653 on: November 16, 2018, 07:47:10 PM »
will they have a new album by then? it makes no sense start a tour after the long hiatus, does it?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #654 on: November 16, 2018, 10:47:20 PM »
Aw yeah. Gonna hopefully finally see the dogs.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #655 on: November 16, 2018, 11:15:15 PM »
MP was my favorite member of DT. I was crushed when he left, not because I was worried about what DT would do, but because I knew I would have to follow MP from project to project. If there was one I liked, I figured it would be a one and done anyway. I haven't really liked anything he's done since leaving DT. And that bums me out. Even SOA, which I should like, I thought was terrible. I know he and whatever musicians he's working with will absolutely bring it live, but for all intents and purposes, MP basically fell off the map for me.

And that is what really sucks and blows. :)

Sons of Apollo was excellent, as have been the NMB albums.  But aside from that, I tend to agree with you.

Aside from Adrenaline Mob & Metal Allegiance, I LOVE EVERYTHING MP has been involved in since bolting DT! :hefdaddy

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #656 on: November 16, 2018, 11:16:40 PM »
will they have a new album by then? it makes no sense start a tour after the long hiatus, does it?

No "new" album, just touring again! :metal and most likely ONLY the US in May as Billy has a lot of touring going on with Mr. Big after that in '19.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #657 on: November 16, 2018, 11:21:05 PM »

Well, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I have a premonition that they will be playing the Arcada in St. Charles on May 18th. Thanks Ron Onesti for having no self-control!

The Arcada is about 30-35 minutes from me. My fear is that good ole' Ron is going to price the tix at around $75. I think that's what he did on the second leg of the tour for the first album(!). If he goes too high, I will probably pass as much as I want to catch this show.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #658 on: November 17, 2018, 06:27:19 AM »
$75?? That's ridiculous. :tdwn

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #659 on: November 17, 2018, 06:38:06 AM »

No "new" album, just touring again! :metal and most likely ONLY the US in May as Billy has a lot of touring going on with Mr. Big after that in '19.

Not even an EP? Come on TWD you must already have something recorded from previous sessions!

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #660 on: November 17, 2018, 06:43:48 AM »
To me the Winery Dogs first album was OK not more than that.... didn't bother with the second.
Sons of Apollo was quite uninterresting to me.

Since MP left DT I have only loved the things he has done with Neal Morse.... really looking forward to the new NMB album and tour next year.

The WD tour seems to be USA only but even if it was coming to my neck of the woods I don't think I would go see it... too much else good coming around that I would rather see.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #661 on: November 17, 2018, 07:24:32 AM »

Not even an EP? Come on TWD you must already have something recorded from previous sessions!

Blame it on Ritchie Kotzen. If it wasn't for him, album 3 would have already been recorded, they would have already toured to promote it, and most likely Sons of Apollo wouldn't have existed.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #662 on: November 17, 2018, 07:35:53 AM »

Blame it on Ritchie Kotzen. If it wasn't for him, album 3 would have already been recorded, they would have already toured to promote it, and most likely Sons of Apollo wouldn't have existed.

Yea pretty much, although I'm not sure I'll complain.  If Ritchie didn't want to do it, I'm glad we got SOA instead of nothing personally.  I'm glad the guys are back, I'm sure they will do something in the NYC area for this tour so I'd love to catch it.

Why doesn't it?  Get their name back out there, make some money playing shows.  Have a fresh setlist (hopefully) and build some interest in the band after some time away.  I don't even think the hiatus was that long, although for a band with only two albums, yea maybe any hiatus is long. 

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #663 on: November 17, 2018, 08:34:19 AM »
I'm hoping they come to Toronto and that they finally play The Lamb live ... Ritchie's solo on that song is out of this world!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #664 on: November 17, 2018, 09:49:13 AM »

Well, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I have a premonition that they will be playing the Arcada in St. Charles on May 18th. Thanks Ron Onesti for having no self-control!

The Arcada is about 30-35 minutes from me. My fear is that good ole' Ron is going to price the tix at around $75. I think that's what he did on the second leg of the tour for the first album(!). If he goes too high, I will probably pass as much as I want to catch this show.

I love the Arcada, I love the area, I even love Onesti in the sense that he gets a lot of shows I would otherwise have to drive many more hours to see, so I am somewhat forgiving of his super price inflation.  Buckethead played a show there and the tickets were also $75 bucks which is insane because he was playing a club closer to me (that i couldnt go to) and tickets were $25 and you were literally feet from Buckethead.  I decided to pass on that.

Yea pretty much, although I'm not sure I'll complain.  If Ritchie didn't want to do it, I'm glad we got SOA instead of nothing personally.  I'm glad the guys are back, I'm sure they will do something in the NYC area for this tour so I'd love to catch it.

Why doesn't it?  Get their name back out there, make some money playing shows.  Have a fresh setlist (hopefully) and build some interest in the band after some time away.  I don't even think the hiatus was that long, although for a band with only two albums, yea maybe any hiatus is long. 

Anymore, albums are becoming a bit of a formality.  You can actually sometimes make more money by touring randomly then spending time and cash on recording something and hoping that brings in more people.  It's a bummer but thats the way things are going

Don't they still have that cover songs EP that Ritchie didnt want to finish?  I don't blame him because MP and his amount of cover songs is a bit excessive.  I get the feeling that even though the band is a democracy, Ritchie sort of steers the ship more.