Author Topic: The Winery Dogs thread - Portnoy, Sheehan and Kotzen  (Read 113336 times)

Offline countoftuscany42

Re: The Winery Dogs thread - Portnoy, Sheehan and Kotzen
« Reply #455 on: October 08, 2013, 11:50:27 PM »
Just noticed today that they're playing tomorrow night in SF. Gotta figure out a way to get to this show.
wish i could be at this one  :'(

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #456 on: October 09, 2013, 12:49:43 PM »
Just noticed today that they're playing tomorrow night in SF. Gotta figure out a way to get to this show.
wish i could be at this one  :'(

Oh yeah, forgot you're a Bay Area dude as well.  I'm heading up to my parents for a few days, wouldn't be able to hit the show anyways. Kinda bummed, really wanted to see MP tear up a five piece too.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #457 on: October 31, 2013, 09:54:13 AM »
I saw Portnoy and the Winery Dogs play a hometown show last night on Long Island.  Portnoy wasn't happy with the energy level of his hometown crowd early in the show.  After the first song, he politely ripped the crowd for standing with their arms folded and said: "That's not the Long Island I remember.... I want to see more of this!" (He raised his hands into the air).  In this video, you can see him urging the crowd to show more energy in spots: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maPM-c3Vs_E 

Later in the show he complimented their energy, which was good.  It was a nice show.  This band is pretty darn good.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #458 on: December 15, 2013, 11:29:05 AM »
Eddie trunk's " Fave album of 2013 " is Winery Dogs.

No Surprise There!!! :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #459 on: December 15, 2013, 11:35:19 AM »
Eddie trunk's " Fave album of 2013 " is Winery Dogs.

No Surprise There!!! :lol

It's not because hes friends with them or he had something to do with their formation.  Did you know he had something to do with their formation?  He did.  He doesn't mention it much except for anytime the Winery Dogs is brought up. 

I remember when he put Omerta on his top 10 list.  I don't doubt that he loves Winery Dogs (in part because he had something to do with their formation) but c'mon, everybody knew he was bullshit about Adrenaline Mob. 

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #460 on: December 15, 2013, 12:04:35 PM »
I saw Portnoy and the Winery Dogs play a hometown show last night on Long Island.  Portnoy wasn't happy with the energy level of his hometown crowd early in the show.  After the first song, he politely ripped the crowd for standing with their arms folded and said: "That's not the Long Island I remember.... I want to see more of this!" (He raised his hands into the air).  In this video, you can see him urging the crowd to show more energy in spots: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maPM-c3Vs_E 

Later in the show he complimented their energy, which was good.  It was a nice show.  This band is pretty darn good.

hahaha! for that, Portnoy, need come Indonesia!!!!

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #461 on: January 21, 2014, 11:33:17 AM »
Set for release in April, THE WINERY DOGS SPECIAL EDITION will be comprised of two-CDs. Disc 1 is the standard album and Disc 2 is entitled UNLEASHED IN JAPAN 2013, comprised of 10 songs recorded live in Japan during their July ’13 tour including “Criminal,” a track previously unavailable in the U.S., along with a 16-page booklet of live photos and lyrics. A deluxe package for die-hard fans will be released simultaneously. DOG TREATS: THE WINERY DOGS DELUXE SPECIAL EDITION will be sold in a box resembling a box of dog treats, and will include the SPECIAL EDITION collection of music, a DVD featuring four music videos and interview footage, demos from the original recording sessions, a “studio diary” written by Mike Portnoy, as well as some unique merchandise unavailable elsewhere.

source: https://loudandproudrecords.com/the-winery-dogs-release-a-special-edition-and-a-deluxe-edition-of-their-self-titled-debut-including-live-songs-original-demos-videos-interviews-and-exclusive-merchandise/#.Ut6ra7_0Cu4

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #462 on: January 21, 2014, 11:51:34 AM »
 Oh man, this will be awesome! They were going to release the recording in Japan as a DVD, but since it was only their second show EVER, it seems they have changed their minds. I´m looking forward to this, and to another studio album!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #463 on: January 21, 2014, 11:54:32 AM »
And now I know why I didn't buy the album already.  Apparently I was waiting for this!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #464 on: January 21, 2014, 12:05:11 PM »
Oh man, this will be awesome! They were going to release the recording in Japan as a DVD, but since it was only their second show EVER, it seems they have changed their minds. I´m looking forward to this, and to another studio album!

Actually, they did release a live DVD/2CD set in Japan titled Unleashed In Japan 2013. The DVD is region 2 and exclusive to the Japanese/Asian market, and while I haven't yet checked, I'm sure the import prices aren't worth it.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #465 on: January 21, 2014, 12:42:53 PM »
Ugh. This crap annoys the hell out of me. This is great bonus material, but it should be released with the NEXT album, not just a re-hash of the first one.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #466 on: January 21, 2014, 12:44:40 PM »
Ugh. This crap annoys the hell out of me. This is great bonus material, but it should be released with the NEXT album, not just a re-hash of the first one.

Yeah I'm a bit miffed. Don't burn the folks who went out and snatched up your disc on release day.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 08:30:48 PM by Mindflux »

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #467 on: January 21, 2014, 08:02:31 PM »
For those who already bought the original CD and are not interested in the Special Edition set;
Unleashed In Japan audio will be available digitally as a stand-alone.
This will include five songs that are not on the original album.

1. ELEVATE
2. CRIMINAL *
3. TIME MACHINE
4. I'M NO ANGEL
5. NOT HOPELESS
6. STAND *
7. YOU CAN'T SAVE ME *
8. SHINE *
9. FOOLED AROUND AND FELL IN LOVE *
10. DESIRE

* Not On Studio Album

The Dog Treats Box is a limited edition item.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #468 on: January 21, 2014, 08:06:52 PM »
Criminal is on my original studio album (good song) - must be a couple of different versions or something.

Looks like I'm missing Time Machine but got Criminal vs the standard track listing.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 08:14:19 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #469 on: January 22, 2014, 07:55:27 AM »
Criminal is on my original studio album (good song) - must be a couple of different versions or something.

Looks like I'm missing Time Machine but got Criminal vs the standard track listing.

I have Criminal, but not Time Machine (US version here). Although Amazon's MP3 list suggests that Criminal (Track 11 here) may actually be called Time Machine.  I wonder if the gracenote DB is screwed up. 

Though my track #11 is 5:08 and Amazon's MP3 track 11 is 4:44

*Edit: My lyrics for track #11 match Criminal.  So I wonder why Amazon MP3 has a different track listing,  iTunes MP3 track listing matches Amazon MP3's.

Why the hell are they different? God damned that's annoying. IT's not even a "Special Edition" track or anything.  Winery Dogs own web store lists track #11 as Time Machine as well.

I just listened to TIme Machine on Amazon's Cloudplayer (Since they gave it to me free with my CD purchase).. it's definitely a different track. I'm so confused now.

WTF.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 08:04:41 AM by Mindflux »

Offline TL

« Reply #470 on: January 22, 2014, 09:22:43 AM »
Good to see that they're making the bonus stuff available as a standalone. I've always hated when bonus tracks get released on 'special re-releases' or compilations. When that happens, it just feels like penalizing the fans who supported the band early on.

The Criminal/Time Machine thing is weird. In theory, Criminal is from the Japanese version of the album and Time Machine is from the version released elsewhere (or at least North America). My CD copy which I got here in Canada has Time Machine, but I've seen Criminal on a lot of North American online listings (including digital ones, so it's not just coming across import copies).

Eh. As long as there's a way to get both without having to double dip.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #471 on: January 23, 2014, 04:13:18 AM »

This completely. 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #472 on: January 23, 2014, 11:18:39 AM »

This completely.

Don't tell that to Mike Portnoy. 

(from twitter) Mike Portnoy ‏@MikePortnoy Jan 21

.@johndaintree Relax dude! when we put out the debut last year, there was no way to know how it would be received...now we know! #lightenup

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #473 on: January 23, 2014, 12:41:32 PM »

This completely.

.@johndaintree Relax dude! when we put out the debut last year, there was no way to know how it would be received...now we know! #lightenup

I'm surprised to hear that from Mike, as he's always been pretty good with getting good content to the fans. Is it hard to understand the frustration of people who bought something, and you are now asking them to buy it over again? Like I said, this is great stuff, and the doggie pack thing is a great idea, and if you put that out with the next album, it would be absolutely stellar!
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #474 on: January 23, 2014, 02:38:06 PM »

This completely.

This is a complete douchebag response.  I won't be spending a cent on this re-release.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #475 on: January 30, 2014, 06:29:12 PM »
Something to think about I suppose.

Perhaps I'll sell my autographed original copy from the release party to fund this. 

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #476 on: January 30, 2014, 07:55:51 PM »

Perhaps I'll sell my autographed original copy from the release party to fund this.

How much?  :metal

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #477 on: January 30, 2014, 09:01:15 PM »

How much?  :metal

PM sent!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #478 on: March 06, 2014, 12:39:33 PM »
Just saw this.... Interesting idea, just glancing at the prices though, they seem way too steep for me to even think about going...

The Winery Dogs excitedly kick off “Dog Camp” this summer. The immersive program for aspiring musicians of all ages and levels will take over Full Moon Resort in Big Indian, NY from July 21 – 25, and it sees the band’s iconic members Mike Portnoy, Billy Sheehan, and Richie Kotzen host an unforgettable program. This is the opportunity for campers to get up close and personal with three legends as they attend instrument-specific clinics, learn songwriting mechanics, and enjoy intimate performances from the group. The dogs are loose….

We’ve all done clinics over the years. In fact, it’s hard to even keep track of how many we’ve done at this point. There are some great memories associated with them too, but it’s always something that’s primarily centered around one instrument. It’s also something that each of us has typically done an individual basis. Dog Camp is the first time that any of us have hosted or participated in (and maybe a first-ever!) a true “Band Camp.” As a result of that, we’ve got some incredible surprises in store for everybody attending.

“I actually stopped doing clinics about eleven years ago because I needed a break from the standard format,” exclaims Mike Portnoy. “That’s what’s so cool about Dog Camp though. It’s not typical by any stretch of the imagination. It’s about learning how to be in a band and succeed as a unit. We wanted to do this together and give everybody an experience they’ll never forget. I can’t wait to see, hang, and jam with everybody there this summer.”

Now, you’re going to get what you expect of course. If you’re a drummer, we’ve got a course path for you. If you’re a bassist, we have you covered. Same thing goes for guitar players. However, it’s going to be a much deeper experience. We’ll be living together, hanging together, and jamming together. We want you to ask as many questions as possible, and we’re going to engage you on a one-on-one basis to help you realize your goals as a player.

In addition to the instrument-centric sessions, we’re going to offer classes from the entire band with the three of us leading. During these, you’ll get to learn more about the craft of songwriting, and we’ll answer any and all questions about the music industry. We want to dispel the myths and show you what’s really up!

“Having a band-taught class is a unique concept,” says Kotzen. “We’re a unique band in the sense that we’re all very strong personalities in the way we play. When Billy plays the bass, you know it’s Billy Sheehan. He has his thing. It’s the same thing with Mike. I’d like to think the same about myself! As individuals, we have personalities, but when we come together, it creates something else. This is something that’s so cool to explore in a clinic or class setting.”

One of the things that we’re all looking forward to is the performance aspect. We’re going to play live for you, giving a series of very intimate concerts. This is the best way to see The Winery Dogs, and we’re going to bring it. It’s about to get rowdy.

“I want to emphasize that players should keep an eye on what we’re doing and why during the performances,” adds Sheehan. “In between songs or mid-song, I want to stop to make a point about what’s going on and why. This is what happens. This is how it got here. This is why you need to know this. The ensemble playing and expertise of being able to play ensemble is a bit of a lost art with kids today. They don’t do what we did when we were growing up. Right away, we just got in a band whether we could play or not. We were in bands before we knew how to play. Now, kids want to get up to a level of expertise and then join the band. The band experience is where I got everything I have. That’s the focal point of the performances.”

Plus, some of our friends will be stopping by for the fun. We couldn’t help but invite some of our buddies. It wouldn’t be camp without that, right?

So, this is Dog Camp. We want you to have the time of your life because that’s what we plan on doing!

Sincerely,

Mike Portnoy, Richie Kotzen, and Billy Sheehan

Source:
https://winerydogcamp.com/

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #479 on: March 06, 2014, 02:28:58 PM »
Gotta give it to MP, if there's one thing he knows it's how to monetize.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #480 on: March 06, 2014, 02:29:48 PM »
Sounds cool, but, with all due respect, on what planet is Richie Kotzen an icon??

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #481 on: March 06, 2014, 02:32:46 PM »
On my desktop. I have a Richie Kotzen icon, on my desktop.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #482 on: March 06, 2014, 02:35:00 PM »
Seriously though, I see the market for this being the same as for the VIP tickets. Sons and daughters of well-off families.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #483 on: March 06, 2014, 02:48:08 PM »
Seriously though, I see the market for this being the same as for the VIP tickets. Sons and daughters of well-off families.

Yeah well-off is right... Honestly, its a cool idea, but dropping $1,500 to $2,400 in four days is a lot.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #484 on: March 06, 2014, 03:50:38 PM »
Umphrey's McGee has done something similar. Not nearly that expensive, though.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #485 on: March 06, 2014, 06:56:33 PM »
Hey Kids ! Wanna meet Mike Portnoy ?! Just pay this extortionate fee and you can jam with Mike & Billy and we'll even stop the jam to tell you what you're doing wrong !

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #486 on: March 06, 2014, 08:35:40 PM »

:lol :lol

Also, I forgot to mention this, but I did get around to finally listening to this whole album.  I liked it; good hard rock.  But, while good, it's probably not something that will get a lot of play with me (like King's X, a band I always think sounds good, but never feel like listening to).  I'll probably throw a couple of the songs on my workout playlist, if nothing else.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #487 on: March 07, 2014, 02:57:34 AM »

:lol :lol

Also, I forgot to mention this, but I did get around to finally listening to this whole album.  I liked it; good hard rock.  But, while good, it's probably not something that will get a lot of play with me (like King's X, a band I always think sounds good, but never feel like listening to).  I'll probably throw a couple of the songs on my workout playlist, if nothing else.
This sums up my feelings exactly. :tup I can see why it's doing well, and I dig it, but there isn't enough to pull me back and make me want to listen.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #488 on: March 07, 2014, 04:16:14 AM »
This sounds like a pretty good idea to me, at face value at least.

Registrations are available for the entire event only. No day passes or partial attendance registrations are available.

Considering how steep the prices are, that strikes me as a little bit short-sighted.

A Service and Processing fee of 3.9% will be applied to all registration packages during checkout.

Ok, someone explain what I'm misunderstanding please. Why even quote a price if it's not actually what you'll be required to pay?

- Here's the price!
- Surprise, it's more!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #489 on: March 07, 2014, 07:57:48 AM »
MP: "OK kids, I know you all have the same question: How do you become famous? The answer is easy, you find yourself someone who can write music. Right, Ritchie?"
Richie: "Err, what?!"
MP: "So yeah, as I was saying, you find yourself a John Petrucci, a Neal Morse, or if all fails a Richie Kotzen. Stay away from the Orlandos!"