Author Topic: The Winery Dogs thread - Portnoy, Sheehan and Kotzen  (Read 113327 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Re: The Winery Dogs thread - Portnoy, Sheehan and Kotzen
« Reply #420 on: August 12, 2013, 06:35:53 AM »
I've heard of Richie Kotzen since around 1990.  Just seems very odd to me that he's seemingly so unknown.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #421 on: August 12, 2013, 06:51:17 AM »
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/mike_portnoy_calls_the_winery_dogs_his_new_home.html

"The Winery Dogs have really been hitting it off in recent months, so it shouldn't come as much of a surprise that drummer Mike Portnoy now considers the supergroup rock trio as his new home. During a recent chat on "Eddie Trunk Live" radio show, Portnoy underlined that the Winery Dogs are not a side project like the other bands he's involved with, but his primary group."

How is this news?  Way back, when MP clarified which of his bands were "real bands" vs which were "side projects" he listed AMob, and the band that would eventually evolve into The Winery Dogs as his 2 "real bands".  Now that he is no longer in AMob, that leaves just one "real band". 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #422 on: August 12, 2013, 10:38:20 AM »
Just picked this record up over the weekend.  Overall, its pretty good! I've always been a fan of blues-based rock, so I enjoyed this album, I have only listened to the whole thing about 2 times and I can tell it's a pretty solid effort. 

It does get stale in the middle for me, I think it starts off strong and finishes strong, but the middle of the album hasn't stuck with me. I really like Richie ( I had never heard of him either before this project) on this record.  His guitar work is pretty cool and his voice is obviously great.  I will say that his voice sounds great on certain tracks and not so great on others though.  Billy sounds killer as always and Mike sounds pretty good too.  Mike plays well on this, nothing to impressive, and he continues to play A LOT of the same fills he has been using for years now, but overall he sounds good as well.

A few tracks that stick out as immediate favorites are: Elevate, Regret, The Dying, and Time Machine.  Like I said I have only listened through the album twice so, those are just the ones that I can think of off the top of my head.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #423 on: August 13, 2013, 02:47:02 PM »
I don't mean to slam the guy but he's definitely the anomaly in the band when you have two masters of their instrument.

You could argue he's not quite as good a guitarist as Sheehan is a bassist and Portnoy is a drummer. You could argue he's not quite as good a singer as Sheehan is a bassist and Portnoy is a drummer. But he's no slouch at either and he's filling both roles.

In terms of songwriting I don't think the other two have anything to particularly write home about as individuals.

Kotzen fits in quite nicely IMO.

Exactly.

He fills a need and gets the job done.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #424 on: August 15, 2013, 01:39:33 PM »
Just got this album and I think it is great.  It has a great sound to it and vibe.  Great musicianship and lead vocals, catchy, rocking.. it pretty much has everything a good rock album needs.

I hope they keep going with this band.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #425 on: August 20, 2013, 08:24:22 AM »
Found this footage this week of them playing in São Paulo last month: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXsXFeQOQ-Y

I like the live version of Criminal even more than the studio one! MP seems really happy in the new band, and I hope it keeps going.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #426 on: August 20, 2013, 12:07:56 PM »
one of the comments on that video

:lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #427 on: August 20, 2013, 12:12:37 PM »
WHAT SOUND

WHAT RHYTHM

WHAT GREAT !!!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #428 on: August 20, 2013, 12:17:13 PM »
I don't mean to slam the guy but he's definitely the anomaly in the band when you have two masters of their instrument.

You could argue he's not quite as good a guitarist as Sheehan is a bassist and Portnoy is a drummer. You could argue he's not quite as good a singer as Sheehan is a bassist and Portnoy is a drummer. But he's no slouch at either and he's filling both roles.

In terms of songwriting I don't think the other two have anything to particularly write home about as individuals.

Kotzen fits in quite nicely IMO.

Exactly.

He fills a need and gets the job done.

I wish I was as shit on guitar as Kotzen.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #429 on: August 20, 2013, 12:22:39 PM »
WHAT SOUND

WHAT RHYTHM

WHAT GREAT !!!

So energy...power!!!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: August 20, 2013, 02:20:15 PM »
Didn't feel like this warranted it's own thread - but Derek Sherinian has joined Joe Bonamassa's solo band.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #431 on: August 20, 2013, 02:24:36 PM »
But what does that have to do with The Winery Dawgz?

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #432 on: August 20, 2013, 02:25:20 PM »
He was part of the MP, DS, BS, WHoever the fuq else project :P

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #433 on: August 20, 2013, 02:26:15 PM »
but... Portnoy Sherinian MacAlpine Sheehan has their own thread :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #434 on: August 20, 2013, 03:40:48 PM »

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: August 20, 2013, 04:48:28 PM »
There's also a Black Country Communion thread...

OMG

a BCC / WD tour would be amazing

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #436 on: August 20, 2013, 04:52:45 PM »
Winery Dogs should tour with Audioslave.

They both sound the same.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: August 20, 2013, 06:20:56 PM »
a BCC / WD tour would be amazing

It's BCC on an indefinite hiatus thanks to some Glen Hughes/Joe Bonamasa drama?

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #438 on: August 20, 2013, 06:42:58 PM »

hur hur hur  :tdwn

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #439 on: August 20, 2013, 07:10:51 PM »

Aside from the idea that Kotzen's voice is similar to Chris Cornell's, they don't sound remotely like each other. Are you really going to say that Kotzen and Tom Morello's guitar playing are at all similar? Not to even mention how Billy Sheehan compares to Tim Commerford.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #440 on: September 01, 2013, 06:49:29 PM »
Iīm not sure how this went down exactly, but Rolling Stone Brazil had an article about Portnoy arguing with the guy who was responsible for the lighs at the  Winery Dogs show in São Paulo. I went to the Rio show so I didnīt see any of that.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #441 on: September 16, 2013, 03:04:44 PM »
I know this is a shot in the dark but is there anyone here who was at last month's show at the Newton Theater in Newton NJ who might have an extra ticket stub?  I have virtually every stub to every one of the 200+ concerts I've been to and I can't find my ticket from that show.  I'd gladly throw someone a few bucks on PayPal for your efforts.  It was such a good show!  Please PM me if you can help me out.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #442 on: September 16, 2013, 05:53:42 PM »
Does the Winery Dogs have a forum? If they do that also may be a good place to ask.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #443 on: September 16, 2013, 06:23:34 PM »
Not really here to rant about the Winery Dogs, but honestly, after so many great praises, I decided to pick up the album, and I found it to be so incredibly uninteresting, it was fairly disappointing. I will give it a few more listens and hope that it grows on me, but as far as first impressions go, I liked A-Mob's Omerta better.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline r0cken

« Reply #444 on: October 03, 2013, 12:37:56 PM »
New video...
Damn, I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qhxvnMDf2E

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #445 on: October 03, 2013, 01:03:00 PM »
So yea I was gonna go see them in Agoura Hills tonight... but $50 a ticket after fees is really too steep for me.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #447 on: October 04, 2013, 06:54:05 PM »
My mind is blown that Kotzen can do what he does, without even using a pick.

Offline duncan3dc

• PHP Ninja
« Reply #448 on: October 05, 2013, 06:39:41 AM »
My mind is blown that Kotzen can do what he does, without even using a pick.
Agreed, but I'm pretty sure the solo during the fast section is recorded with a pick, if you listen to the live versions the solo doesn't sound like on the record

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #449 on: October 05, 2013, 10:43:45 AM »
Now that some time has passed I revisited the album Yesterday. It's good, 7 out of 10. Its not an album that will stand the test of time though for me. I hope the second album is better.

I find it funny that Mike has proclaimed this is feature project, and not just one of his many side projects. He is riding high that they sold out a bunch of small venues. He even mentioned no band he has ever been in has ever had such a string of sold out shows. Is that a slight to DT? When you sell out the size venues DT plays then the statement has some validity.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #450 on: October 06, 2013, 04:52:02 AM »
Now that some time has passed I revisited the album Yesterday. It's good, 7 out of 10. Its not an album that will stand the test of time though for me. I hope the second album is better.

I find it funny that Mike has proclaimed this is feature project, and not just one of his many side projects. He is riding high that they sold out a bunch of small venues. He even mentioned no band he has ever been in has ever had such a string of sold out shows. Is that a slight to DT? When you sell out the size venues DT plays then the statement has some validity.

I think the record accomplishes exactly what they wanted in the first place: a straight out rock record with tinges of 70īs bands like Grand Funk Railroad, Zeppelin etc. I still listen to it, much more often than ADTOE for example.

However, just like all other projects MP has been involved in, it needs some following up. Iīm probably one of the very few people in the planet who liked Adrenaline Mob, but was expecting them to improve on their second album. Flying Colours is great, but they need more studio albums and more time on the road to solidify their reputation, and we all know this isnīt gonna happen because of the memberīs other projects/main bands. PSMS was just a bunch of guys covering their past bands and projects, and as far as I know, they donīt have plans to make this into a band and record an album. 

The Winery Dogsī first album is an 8.5/10 for me, and I hope they give this band the necessary time to grow. Like you said, selling out 500-seat venues is not something to brag about, by any means - itīs just MP`s way of saying how happy he is with the new project. They need to spend more time on the road, make another album, play in a festival to reach broader audiences etc. I hope that at least one of MPīs projects develops into his main band soon. I like all his output since he left DT, but the man needs a home and a steady band.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #451 on: October 06, 2013, 05:31:50 AM »
:lol he should do a tour of 100 people venues and say " My tour is completely sold out : ) MP "

Well yeah :neverusethis:

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #452 on: October 06, 2013, 08:02:15 AM »

I think the record accomplishes exactly what they wanted in the first place: a straight out rock record with tinges of 70īs bands like Grand Funk Railroad, Zeppelin etc. I still listen to it, much more often than ADTOE for example.

However, just like all other projects MP has been involved in, it needs some following up. Iīm probably one of the very few people in the planet who liked Adrenaline Mob, but was expecting them to improve on their second album. Flying Colours is great, but they need more studio albums and more time on the road to solidify their reputation, and we all know this isnīt gonna happen because of the memberīs other projects/main bands. PSMS was just a bunch of guys covering their past bands and projects, and as far as I know, they donīt have plans to make this into a band and record an album. 

The Winery Dogsī first album is an 8.5/10 for me, and I hope they give this band the necessary time to grow. Like you said, selling out 500-seat venues is not something to brag about, by any means - itīs just MP`s way of saying how happy he is with the new project. They need to spend more time on the road, make another album, play in a festival to reach broader audiences etc. I hope that at least one of MPīs projects develops into his main band soon. I like all his output since he left DT, but the man needs a home and a steady band.
8.5 is too generous. Its a sound album but it sounds rushed at times. His drum part towards the end of Time Machine is totally out of place and doesn't work in that song. Stuff like that is what I think was rushed and not well thought out. I feel the same way about Flying Colors in certain songs.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #453 on: October 08, 2013, 12:04:48 PM »
Just noticed today that they're playing tomorrow night in SF. Gotta figure out a way to get to this show.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #454 on: October 08, 2013, 03:39:50 PM »
Not really here to rant about the Winery Dogs, but honestly, after so many great praises, I decided to pick up the album, and I found it to be so incredibly uninteresting, it was fairly disappointing. I will give it a few more listens and hope that it grows on me, but as far as first impressions go, I liked A-Mob's Omerta better.
Omertā is 10 times better! IMHO.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol