Author Topic: The Winery Dogs thread - Portnoy, Sheehan and Kotzen  (Read 113435 times)

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
Re: The Winery Dogs thread - Portnoy, Sheehan and Kotzen
« Reply #385 on: August 07, 2013, 11:05:06 PM »
Just got back from seeing them live. It was a great show. they all seemed to love playing the music and the crowd was pretty into it too. I dont think i would actually have listened to the winery dogs tho if it wasnt for portnoy. Still a great show  :metal

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #386 on: August 08, 2013, 08:02:04 AM »
Great show in Newton NJ last night.  These 3 guys were phenomenal.  The only thing that struck me as odd is that Richie seemed amazingly seriousfor the majority of the show.  Most of the time, you couldn't really tell if he was having a good time.  Great vocals and great guitarwork, though.  My head was on swivel all night going from watching one guy to the next to the next and back.  Sweet venue, too.  Makes the Morristown Community Theater look like Madison Square Garden.  Marlene was sitting in the aisle behind me for the last 30 minutes or so of the show.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #387 on: August 08, 2013, 03:27:47 PM »
Great show in Newton NJ last night.  These 3 guys were phenomenal.  The only thing that struck me as odd is that Richie seemed amazingly seriousfor the majority of the show.  Most of the time, you couldn't really tell if he was having a good time.  Great vocals and great guitarwork, though.  My head was on swivel all night going from watching one guy to the next to the next and back.  Sweet venue, too.  Makes the Morristown Community Theater look like Madison Square Garden.  Marlene was sitting in the aisle behind me for the last 30 minutes or so of the show.

I thought the venue was great!  I'm sure 4th row right center had something to do with it.  Aside from the acoustic stuff, I'd only heard one song (Yes, I'm looking at you Nick) on Internet radio.
Picked up the CDs the day before at the meet and greet.

Anytime you can see Sheehan and Portnoy in a ticketbastard/jive nationless context is always a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.  Last time I saw Sheehan was more than 20 years ago wehn Mr. Big opened for Rush a few times. I'm sure I had other things on my mind then and in the years since I've become a lot more familiar with him through his solo stuff and Niacin and his work with Terry Bozzio.

The guy is just incredible.....almost like Geddy Lee on steroids with more attitude and it was great to see him and Portnoy play off of each other. The album itself seems to be more of a grower and not really in my wheelhouse but there is some good stuff here. It's a decent start anyway. I wasn't thinking of seeing them live again for this tour, but I just might if things work out.

Strangely, I was able to get my ticket two weeks ago (Had no idea they would play here until after tickets went on sale.) and there must have been a lot of promotional backing and radio because I think the venue was nearly full.

For some strange reason, I think a Flying Colors/Winery Dogs concert would be a great double bill. I don't seem them as being all that different (Aside from a slight style shift.)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #388 on: August 08, 2013, 03:33:52 PM »
For some strange reason, I think a Flying Colors/Winery Dogs concert would be a great double bill. I don't seem them as being all that different (Aside from a slight style shift.)

o_O?

They make utterly different music, IMHO.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #389 on: August 08, 2013, 04:00:59 PM »

o_O?

I think the root of both are closer together. Both vocalists are very accessible, there are goodies for those that are looking for them despite the accessibilty.  Sure one is heavier than the other and has more "pop" elements than the other and the end result is a different place, but I think they start in the same zip code.

Does that make any sense?  That's what I get out of it anyway.

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #390 on: August 08, 2013, 04:06:22 PM »

o_O?

I think the root of both are closer together. Both vocalists are very accessible, there are goodies for those that are looking for them despite the accessibilty.  Sure one is heavier than the other and has more "pop" elements than the other and the end result is a different place, but I think they start in the same zip code.

Does that make any sense?  That's what I get out of it anyway.

Maybe since Mike's reading the thread right now.......? :P

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #391 on: August 08, 2013, 04:11:33 PM »
I had no idea.

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #392 on: August 08, 2013, 04:14:11 PM »
I had no idea.

No, I know. What I meant to imply was that it would be cool if he'd been reading this and you'd planted the seed of a double bill in his head. I kinda think that'd have come across better if I'd quoted just your initial post.

Offline adastra

« Reply #393 on: August 08, 2013, 11:16:57 PM »
The Winery Dogs was the first time heard about this Kotzen guy. What a great player! And cool looking telecaster.
This is the good shit
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #394 on: August 09, 2013, 02:54:43 AM »
The Winery Dogs was the first time heard about this Kotzen guy. What a great player! And cool looking telecaster.
This is the good shit

If you haven't already, try Mr Big's Actual Size that Kotzen is on. He's not the singer but Eric Martin is still pretty good.  :biggrin:

Offline adastra

« Reply #395 on: August 09, 2013, 03:06:44 AM »
This is the good shit

If you haven't already, try Mr Big's Actual Size that Kotzen is on. He's not the singer but Eric Martin is still pretty good.  :biggrin:

Ok! I've never listened to Mr.Big
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #396 on: August 09, 2013, 06:50:42 AM »
Oh my, oh my.  Gotta check out Mr. Big.  Their second album, Lean Into It was probably their biggest, on the strength of the song "To Be With You", which was about as non-representative of what the band was about as possible.  It's like how Extreme, a hard rock band, got well known for the Everly Borthers-ish song "More Than Words".

The first Mr. Big album has more chops than a butcher shop on it and I love it.  Lean Into It and Bump Ahead are both quite good also.

As much as I like what Richie brings to the Winery Dogs, I don't think I was as much a fan of "Get Over It" and "Actual Size", though in fairness, I'm not sure if I ever FINISHED listening to "Actual Size".  Though my disdain for those wasn't necessarily because of Richie.  I'm a HUGE Paul Gilbert fan and his departure kinda took a lot of the wind out of my sails.  I did get to see them live with Richie though, and he totally owned it.

So anyway, yeah, definitely check out Mr. Big.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #397 on: August 09, 2013, 08:37:42 AM »
Oh my, oh my.  Gotta check out Mr. Big.  Their second album, Lean Into It was probably their biggest, on the strength of the song "To Be With You", which was about as non-representative of what the band was about as possible.  It's like how Extreme, a hard rock band, got well known for the Everly Borthers-ish song "More Than Words".

The first Mr. Big album has more chops than a butcher shop on it and I love it.  Lean Into It and Bump Ahead are both quite good also.

As much as I like what Richie brings to the Winery Dogs, I don't think I was as much a fan of "Get Over It" and "Actual Size", though in fairness, I'm not sure if I ever FINISHED listening to "Actual Size".  Though my disdain for those wasn't necessarily because of Richie.  I'm a HUGE Paul Gilbert fan and his departure kinda took a lot of the wind out of my sails.  I did get to see them live with Richie though, and he totally owned it.

I really don't like Get Over It but Actual size surprised me alot. Those first 2 Mr Big albums were great though. I kinda fell out of love with them after that and only recently got Actual Size. Kotzen's own stuff doesn't do alot for me but his album with Poison (Native Tongue) was very good- he had a big influence on the sound.

Offline JPX

« Reply #398 on: August 09, 2013, 08:53:21 AM »

I feel like Richie is a poor mans everything. He's never made it and there's a reason why. He's a decent player but you just can't replace Paul Gilbert, it's impossible. He's also just an ok singer with zero originality in his voice.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #399 on: August 09, 2013, 08:57:44 AM »
It was mentioned in a previous thread that he could be called the Ted McGinley of rock, since Poison and Mr. Big faltered after his arrival in each band.  However, as noted, both bands were on the cusp of the grunge era at the time, so I know it really had more to do with that than with Richie's involvement.

I've seen people mention not liking his voice or it sounding strained or tired or whatever it may be, but I really like it.  Obviously the first thing it sounds like to me is Chris Cornell, but I think it's just different enough that you know it's obviously not CC.  I really dig it.

Offline JPX

« Reply #400 on: August 09, 2013, 09:08:43 AM »
It was mentioned in a previous thread that he could be called the Ted McGinley of rock, since Poison and Mr. Big faltered after his arrival in each band.  However, as noted, both bands were on the cusp of the grunge era at the time, so I know it really had more to do with that than with Richie's involvement.

I've seen people mention not liking his voice or it sounding strained or tired or whatever it may be, but I really like it.  Obviously the first thing it sounds like to me is Chris Cornell, but I think it's just different enough that you know it's obviously not CC.  I really dig it.

But he's never made an impact on music in anything he's done. He's just not good enough or creative enough. He's released a bunch of records and none of them are highly regarded.
I don't mean to slam the guy but he's definitely the anomaly in the band when you have two masters of their instrument.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #401 on: August 09, 2013, 10:54:09 AM »

And in Poison it was obvious he wasn't CC too  :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #402 on: August 09, 2013, 11:01:27 AM »
:rollin

Oh, you're bad.  Although I could very easily point out that the fact that he was't C.C. amounted to points in his favor.  :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #403 on: August 09, 2013, 06:13:52 PM »
Try Richie's work on an album called TILT, which he made with Greg Howe. It's a shredfest of a record, I love it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #404 on: August 11, 2013, 02:05:54 AM »

o_O?

I was trying to think of the two most disparate artists to have on a bill. . .

Imagine how hilarious it would be if Erasure opened for Cannibal Corpse :lol

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #405 on: August 11, 2013, 07:19:44 AM »
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/mike_portnoy_calls_the_winery_dogs_his_new_home.html

"The Winery Dogs have really been hitting it off in recent months, so it shouldn't come as much of a surprise that drummer Mike Portnoy now considers the supergroup rock trio as his new home. During a recent chat on "Eddie Trunk Live" radio show, Portnoy underlined that the Winery Dogs are not a side project like the other bands he's involved with, but his primary group."
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #406 on: August 11, 2013, 08:06:12 AM »
#27 on the US billboard charts. Pretty damn impressive.

Yeah, with 10,000+ units being sold. Frankly I'm shocked by that number. It's sad that Flyers Colors only came to half that.

Gee I wonder why...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #407 on: August 11, 2013, 08:13:44 AM »
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/mike_portnoy_calls_the_winery_dogs_his_new_home.html

"The Winery Dogs have really been hitting it off in recent months, so it shouldn't come as much of a surprise that drummer Mike Portnoy now considers the supergroup rock trio as his new home. During a recent chat on "Eddie Trunk Live" radio show, Portnoy underlined that the Winery Dogs are not a side project like the other bands he's involved with, but his primary group."

We'll see how that holds up in a few months when something else comes along.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #408 on: August 11, 2013, 10:07:30 AM »
This is getting ridiculous.

I call RK to be the one bowing out first.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #409 on: August 11, 2013, 10:21:00 AM »

Oh dear...
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #410 on: August 11, 2013, 12:41:11 PM »

Yeah, with 10,000+ units being sold. Frankly I'm shocked by that number. It's sad that Flyers Colors only came to half that.

Gee I wonder why...

You make it sound obvious, when I'd really like to know why.

I think Dave LaRue and Steve Morse probably have the combined pull of Billy Sheehan, and I think the Flying Colors disc was stronger. I do really wonder why Flying Colors did so poorly compared to this (hell, it even sold less than AMob)
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #411 on: August 11, 2013, 12:45:47 PM »
Wasn't Shoulda Coulda Woulda the single from it? I know it had a lyric video.  That probably didn't help since that song blows.  Kayla or The Storm should have been pushed, since those were the two most obviously catchy songs with a chance to get any mainstream appeal.  Never underestimate how a bad first single can sink an album when it comes to sales nowadays, especially when the band is a virtual unknown.

Offline TL

« Reply #412 on: August 11, 2013, 01:18:21 PM »
Yeah, The Storm really should have been the lead single off that album.
I like Shoulda Coulda Woulda, but it definitely wouldn't have as wide an appeal as some of the other tracks, and isn't nearly as representative of the overall sound of the album.

I think Love Is What I'm Waiting For would have been a great second single too.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #413 on: August 11, 2013, 09:17:45 PM »

Gee I wonder why...

You make it sound obvious, when I'd really like to know why.

I think Dave LaRue and Steve Morse probably have the combined pull of Billy Sheehan, and I think the Flying Colors disc was stronger. I do really wonder why Flying Colors did so poorly compared to this (hell, it even sold less than AMob)

Not surprised at all.  The music is more "traditional" and as such more easily marketable. Promoters are also getting more behind it and there is an extensive tour in support of the album.

For what its worth, more people know who Kotzen and Sheehan are than know anyone in Flying Colors.

That said. I still think Flying Colors will hang around longer.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #414 on: August 11, 2013, 09:29:39 PM »
I would agree. Flying Colors has a solid support from prog fans, and prog fans stick to the bands they like for quite some time. Winery Dogs is a quick blip of interest in the rock world, but the rock world is big, and the album is just not strong enough to generate any real momentum.  It drops off rapidly after the songs released as singles.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 09:36:14 PM by rumborak »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #415 on: August 11, 2013, 09:50:58 PM »
I guess this is just me, but I had never heard the name Kotzen prior to the news of this band.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #416 on: August 11, 2013, 09:51:52 PM »
Ditto.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #417 on: August 11, 2013, 10:10:36 PM »
I guess this is just me, but I had never heard the name Kotzen prior to the news of this band.
Me either
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #418 on: August 11, 2013, 10:34:37 PM »

I had heard of him, but I was never remotely into any of his prior work such as Poison or Mr. Big.

I've been told I might like his prior solo stuff, but I never followed up on it.

I'll say one thing for him. He's got a nice set of pipes.

If Sheehan and Portnoy weren't in this band to geek out live, I wouldn't have given the band a second thought to be honest.

If those guys continue to bring it live, I've got no problem checking them out again. I can never get enough of that.

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #419 on: August 12, 2013, 03:22:06 AM »
I don't mean to slam the guy but he's definitely the anomaly in the band when you have two masters of their instrument.

You could argue he's not quite as good a guitarist as Sheehan is a bassist and Portnoy is a drummer. You could argue he's not quite as good a singer as Sheehan is a bassist and Portnoy is a drummer. But he's no slouch at either and he's filling both roles.

In terms of songwriting I don't think the other two have anything to particularly write home about as individuals.

Kotzen fits in quite nicely IMO.

"Adrenaline Mob, we gave it our best shot, but this, right from the get-go, it just feels great within the band - the internal chemistry is amazing - and also the external reaction has been just off the charts, unanimously supportive and positive."

I wonder if MP's gotten over the conceit that people weren't taking to AMob because "it's not prog" at last?