Author Topic: The Winery Dogs thread - Portnoy, Sheehan and Kotzen  (Read 112983 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Mike Portnoy and John Sykes working on music together
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2011, 08:17:23 PM »
John Sykes?!?!  I'm all in.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2011, 10:54:36 PM »
Yeah, from what I recall, Sykes was a decent singer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfsZ4EzSn80

A live performance:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npoUI1obH_M
Good video.  I saw Sykes during one of his stints with Lizzy a few years back, and he sounded real good. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2011, 12:32:06 PM »
The only concerting part on my side is that all the videos in this thread are from the 80s. I'm listening to some of his recent stuff on Youtube (Nuclear Cowboy) which is okish, but a bit anachronistic (i.e. it sounds like 80s metal recorded with modern recording techniques).

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2011, 12:33:25 PM »
it sounds like 80s metal recorded with modern recording techniques

You say this like it's a bad thing.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2011, 12:47:34 PM »
Well, to me it is :lol
I like 80s metal, but it was kinda exhausted in the 80s. I'm always of the opinion that new music should bring something new to the table, not just a rehash of something existing.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2011, 12:59:44 PM »
Understandable.  Obviously, I'm fine with rehash.  :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2011, 03:59:06 PM »
Understandable.  Obviously, I'm fine with rehash.  :lol

Yeah, me too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2011, 08:22:33 PM »
Reminder - the episode of "That Metal Show" with MP and John Sykes is this Saturday, October 8th.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2011, 08:53:11 PM »
Portnoy can hold his own vocally.

wait wut
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2011, 04:45:55 AM »
Reminder - the episode of "That Metal Show" with MP and John Sykes is this Saturday, October 8th.

Should be interesting with what they have to say.

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2011, 06:39:36 AM »
Just watched the video of Blue Murder - Valley Of The Kings and good grief, everything about the bass player's look is wrong! Big haired mullet, shirt off and baggy pants. He's basically a walking advertisement for the reason why grunge needed to happen  :facepalm:

1987 was a fantastic album. Haven't heard anything from John Sykes since (aside from the aforementioned video just now) so no idea what to expect from this project.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2011, 06:41:41 AM »
He's basically a walking advertisement for the reason why grunge needed to happen.

There will never be any acceptable excuse for grunge happening.

Also, wardrobe aside, Tony Franklin is a pretty accomplished bass player.  He's played on a zillion albums and is well known for his use of fretless bass in hard rock.  What did you think of the song itself?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2011, 06:53:50 AM »
He's basically a walking advertisement for the reason why grunge needed to happen.

+1
Keep fighting the good fight. :hat
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2011, 07:06:57 AM »
Indeed.  :tup

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2011, 07:28:18 AM »
Who cares what a person looks like as long as he or she plays their ass off.  If that's the case, nobody would listen to Rush because off Geddy Lee.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2011, 07:38:47 AM »

On that we'll have to disagree :) Grunge needed to happen to 80s hair metal in the same way that punk needed to happen to 70s prog. Both generational backlashes cut deeper and for longer than one feels was entirely necessary, but both came along at a time when their predecessor had passed the point of being a parody of itself.

Also, wardrobe aside, Tony Franklin is a pretty accomplished bass player.  He's played on a zillion albums and is well known for his use of fretless bass in hard rock.  What did you think of the song itself?

Good enough to warrant further investigation of Blue Murder :) Sykes is/was a better singer than I was expecting, too.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2011, 07:52:34 AM »
His guitar playing is SOOO much of what makes Whitesnake's s/t album so freakin' good.  And I agree, he is a surprisingly good singer.  The first Blue Murder album is excellent.  The second one isn't as good, but still worth a listen.  Here's another one of their big ones from the first album, Jelly Roll (what the title has to do with the song, I have no idea).  It'd be easy to dismiss the song if you thought the whole thing was just like the beginning, but give it a chance to the end.  Also, dismiss the obvious visual cheesiness.  :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmxK9CS3RV0

Also, BVD, did you notice that "Black Hearted Woman" form the first BM album sounds like it could've been lifted right out of the Whitesnake '87 recording sessions?

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2011, 07:58:20 AM »
Just watched the video of Blue Murder - Valley Of The Kings and good grief, everything about the bass player's look is wrong! Big haired mullet, shirt off and baggy pants. He's basically a walking advertisement for the reason why grunge needed to happen  :facepalm:

One of the best bass players out there, and you focus on his fashion sense?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2011, 08:29:06 AM »
Also, BVD, did you notice that "Black Hearted Woman" form the first BM album sounds like it could've been lifted right out of the Whitesnake '87 recording sessions?

I actually haven't listened to the album that many times, but since you pointed it out, it does. Heck, even from the first slide I expect it to kick into Bad Boys or Children of the Night. In fact, the song just basically sounds like a cross of those two. :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2011, 05:24:48 PM »
^Agreed.  But pretty much anything on that album could have been on 1987 and vice versa (and I mean that as a compliment to both albums/bands). 

Have you heard his live renditions of Still Of The Night?  Far better than Coverdale live, IMO.  For example:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3uzjvsq5Nk  (in terms of vocals, the version on Screaming Blue Murder Live is amazing, if you can even find that album nowadays)

Oh, and @Rumby:  Nuclear Cowboy is by far the worst thing he has ever done.  One of only two albums I have immediately returned to the record store after one listen.

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2011, 10:22:50 PM »
Have you heard his live renditions of Still Of The Night?  Far better than Coverdale live, IMO.  For example:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3uzjvsq5Nk  (in terms of vocals, the version on Screaming Blue Murder Live is amazing, if you can even find that album nowadays)

He was really good there, although because he's focusing harder on hitting the notes, to me he doesn't have anywhere near the style of Coverdale which I love.
I just checked out a more recent live recording of Bad Boys from 2004 though, and he sounded even better, so I'm more excited to hear this project now.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2011, 03:37:51 AM »
Agree on the equal quality of the two albums, and Sykes is probably the biggest reason why 1987 is so damn good.  His work on Looking For Love just floors me everytime.

What the hell?  Why would you insult one of the best bass players in the world, you do realise what year that video was made?  His look is nothing out of the ordinary.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2011, 08:42:48 AM »
Here's the version of Still of the Night that's apparently from "Screaming Blue Murder".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEZuwzVhOQw

One thing I noticed listening to both of them, the guitars are tuned down.  Granted it's only a half step down, but still.  So that certainly helps.  None of this takes away from his vocals though, as he's still an excellent singer.

I can't say enough how excited I am about this.  There hasn't been a whole lot to come out in recent years to REALLY get me at all excited, like this does.  As noted, I totally dig Sykes' guitar playing and his voice.  It really goes without saying that MP is gonna add so much to this.  He has always been one of my favorite drummers.  I've always said he's right up there on nearly level ground with Neil Peart, IMO.  Despite the fact that I am a total guitarhead now and haven't been into drums in probably 20 years, every time we've seen DT, we couldn't stop watching him the whole night.  Always doing something cool, always entertaining.  Hell yeah.  So now we just have to wait to see who the bassist will be.

Also, if nobody saw them, Eddie Trunk has posted a few tweets about the demos he's heard from this and he's indicated that they're fantastic.  :caffeine:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2011, 08:56:04 AM »
...to me he doesn't have anywhere near the style of Coverdale which I love.

True, but Coverdale can't seem to sing on key in a live environment.

Saw that 2004 video as well (I'm assuming you mean this one).  Good stuff.  Would be cool to see that entire performance in high quality.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2011, 09:19:19 AM »

Saw that 2004 video as well (I'm assuming you mean this one).  Good stuff.  Would be cool to see that entire performance in high quality.

Yeah, Coverdale has consistency problems now, as is expected from a guy that is 60 years old. Sykes is almost a decade younger, which certainly helps, and he probably hasn't pushed his voice as hard over the years as Coverdale did in the late 80s and early 90s (he even had to have some vocal surgery before recording '87). On record, Coverdale is still really good for his age though (including the recent-ish live album, which is no doubt touched up).

But yeah, that was the clip I was talking about. Didn't find much else in my search unfortunately. Definitely enough for me to be confident in Sykes' vocal abilities though.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2011, 09:26:02 AM »
Coverdale has always been amazing in studio.  But live stuff from him going back into at least the early '90s has been really off.  I just don't enjoy listening to his live performances.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2011, 09:32:56 AM »

Yeah, Coverdale has consistency problems now, as is expected from a guy that is 60 years old. Sykes is almost a decade younger, which certainly helps, and he probably hasn't pushed his voice as hard over the years as Coverdale did in the late 80s and early 90s (he even had to have some vocal surgery before recording '87). On record, Coverdale is still really good for his age though (including the recent-ish live album, which is no doubt touched up).

But yeah, that was the clip I was talking about. Didn't find much else in my search unfortunately. Definitely enough for me to be confident in Sykes' vocal abilities though.

Check out Sykes..when he filled in for Lynott in Thin Lizzy ..its scarry how much he sounded like Phil
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2011, 04:41:41 PM »
Coverdale has always been amazing in studio.  But live stuff from him going back into at least the early '90s has been really off.  I just don't enjoy listening to his live performances.

Same, even in the Donigton 90 concert that just came out, he sounds absoultely terrible.  And live when I saw them 2 years ago, he left most of the singing up to the auidence and Reb, and when he did sing, it was pretty rough.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2011, 12:08:37 PM »
From Eddie Trunk's twitter, yesterday:

Taking a walk on a beautiful day here in downtown OKC. Listening to the new Sykes/Portnoy demos. Man I can not wait to play this stuff 4 you.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2011, 12:54:52 PM »
Nice! but if they're at the demo stage, we'll still have to wait for a while, right?

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2011, 04:28:52 PM »
I'd imagine.  Nearly every day now, Trunk's tweeting about it.  Today:

I wish I could play you the demos I have of what Sykes/Portnoy are up to. So killer! Where Blue Murder left off. Hopefully soon!!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2011, 05:01:23 AM »

+1
Keep fighting the good fight. :hat

The original post was funny, but Cosmo's reply was even more hilarious  :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2012, 04:49:11 PM »
Melodicrock.com's twitter:

MelodicRock Andrew McNeice
Why am I not surprised? John Sykes has pulled out of the Sykes/Portnoy project. Another guitarist will jump in. Stay tuned.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2012, 05:30:00 PM »
Oh Christ!?  :facepalm: :rollin

MP isn't having much luck.  How can it be where Blue Murder left off now.  :lol

My interest in this now = 0.

I like Andrew too, he runs a good, informative site.