Author Topic: The Winery Dogs thread - Portnoy, Sheehan and Kotzen  (Read 113240 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: The Winery Dogs thread - Portnoy, Sheehan and Kotzen
« Reply #245 on: May 15, 2013, 06:30:24 PM »
^Yeah, I hear you.  Although A7X wasn't exactly my cup of tea, I kind of wish they had offered to keep him on full time.  I felt like they were a good fit for him (even if he wasn't a good fit for them).  He got to play music that was heavy, but still challanging, and he got to do it in packed arenas.  Can't get much better than that.

Didn't A7X sort of allude to the fact all the DT drama prevented that from happening?

The alluded to the drama indirectly, but it's hard to say how much of a factor it was.  Remember, whether there was drama or not, they had only agreed to bring him on temporarily and it appears they made arrangements to look at bringing in other people before the drama really happened.  Not to mention the fact that you basically have a band of 4 different guys with different takes on things, as well as their management.  So as far as how much the drama played into it, who really knows?  As rumborak pointed out, there were also just basic age (and commensurate lifestyle) differences that came into play as well.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 08:23:32 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #246 on: May 15, 2013, 06:45:00 PM »
I see what you're saying about the "project of the day" though, TAC. If there's been one consistent thread through all of his projects, it's (excuse my language) "has-beens". He's played with the ex-singer of Spock's Beard, the ex-guitarist of Kansas, the ex-bassist and ex-guitarist of Mr. Big .... and he himself is the ex-drummer of Dream Theater. Nothing wrong with that, but a cynical observer could say "well, it's because those are the only ones who would start a band with him". I don't think young talent would want MP as their drummer because it comes with a lot of baggage. So, he has to stick with the "ex-" guys, but that also means it's not going to be a big thing anymore.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #247 on: May 15, 2013, 10:39:59 PM »
There's a free download of a third song off of the album, called We Are One, available at the band's official Facebook page.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #248 on: May 16, 2013, 06:46:25 AM »
I see what you're saying about the "project of the day" though, TAC. If there's been one consistent thread through all of his projects, it's (excuse my language) "has-beens". He's played with the ex-singer of Spock's Beard, the ex-guitarist of Kansas, the ex-bassist and ex-guitarist of Mr. Big .... and he himself is the ex-drummer of Dream Theater. Nothing wrong with that, but a cynical observer could say "well, it's because those are the only ones who would start a band with him". I don't think young talent would want MP as their drummer because it comes with a lot of baggage. So, he has to stick with the "ex-" guys, but that also means it's not going to be a big thing anymore.
I sort of agree with your overall point, but I don't think it's fair to lump Neal Morse in with that. Morse left Spock's Beard for his own personal reasons and his ongoing solo work is doing well, and Transatlantic are bigger than Spock's ever were.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #249 on: May 16, 2013, 06:51:41 AM »
I sort of agree with your overall point, but I don't think it's fair to lump Neal Morse in with that. Morse left Spock's Beard for his own personal reasons and his ongoing solo work is doing well, and Transatlantic are bigger than Spock's ever were.

And at this point I think that his solo band is just as, if not more successful than Spock's Beard.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #250 on: May 16, 2013, 07:17:21 AM »
Definitely bigger than SB are right now, not sure if I'd say bigger than SB were at their peak though.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: May 16, 2013, 07:59:24 AM »
^Yeah, I hear you.  Although A7X wasn't exactly my cup of tea, I kind of wish they had offered to keep him on full time.  I felt like they were a good fit for him (even if he wasn't a good fit for them).  He got to play music that was heavy, but still challanging, and he got to do it in packed areas.  Can't get much better than that.

What, like the back of a Volkswagen?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #252 on: May 16, 2013, 08:23:43 AM »
Funny.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #253 on: May 16, 2013, 08:29:03 AM »
Got the 3rd track.  Doesn't blow me away as much as the others, but still good.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #254 on: May 16, 2013, 11:06:00 AM »
Yeah, I got it too.  It was enough for me to know I don't need to buy this album.  It's not bad, really.  Just not anything I'd listen to much.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #255 on: May 16, 2013, 11:07:19 AM »
Yeah, I got it too.  It was enough for me to know I don't need to buy this album.  It's not bad, really.  Just not anything I'd listen to much.

That was how I felt about Adrenaline Mob, but I'm definitely interested enough in this to pick it up.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #256 on: May 16, 2013, 11:10:50 AM »

That was how I felt about Adrenaline Mob, but I'm definitely interested enough in this to pick it up.

I had NO interest in A Mob, until one day I sampled every song on youtube. I then felt that it was an album I could live with and bought it. Not mindblowing or groundbreaking by any stretch, but I don't not like it. It's fine for what it is.
I'll take the same approach with Winery Dogs. I will have to hear more than a couple tracks.

I do hope that it is good. I just have no expectation for it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #257 on: May 16, 2013, 11:13:22 AM »
I have to admit, there's an obvious later Mr. Big-style influence to it.  But just different enough to not be Mr. Big.  I like that.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #258 on: May 16, 2013, 11:14:31 AM »
Got the 3rd track.  Doesn't blow me away as much as the others, but still good.

This. Definitely more than enough at this point to know I'm getting this album though. Even with this being the weakest track, it's still a rockin' track, it's just not very memorable compared to the other two. But it's not a track I'd skip if I was listening to the album either.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #259 on: May 16, 2013, 12:12:27 PM »
I'm loving this new track, so far Desire is my least favourite but it's still a wicked track!  :tup
May The Force Be With You.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #260 on: May 16, 2013, 01:43:08 PM »
Is it me or is Desire pretty much the same video as Elevate? :lol

Anyway, I agree with those saying that Desire isn't nearly as good as Elevate.  Elevate is fairly enjoyable, and I could see it being a good tune for my workout playlist, but Desire doesn't have enough of a hook for me.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #261 on: May 16, 2013, 02:43:29 PM »

Yeah, I agree. Neal fits the least into that characterization. But, he's (I think) a far cry from the Dream Theater opener days of 2000, so he's sorta "has-been" in that regard.

Downloaded the new song, but I think I'll pass on this album. Like the chorus of Elevate, but the last 2 songs don't do much for me.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline PetFish

« Reply #262 on: May 16, 2013, 02:48:00 PM »
Is it me or is Desire pretty much the same video as Elevate? :lol

MP said that Elevate was just thrown together and filmed in an hour since they had just spent the day filming for two other tracks.  So they have footage for Desire and another track we don't know about.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: May 16, 2013, 07:52:37 PM »
Rumby, I get what you're saying, but doesn't that kinda plop MP right where he should be in the tradition of prog rock musicians?

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #264 on: May 16, 2013, 09:03:24 PM »
Also, it's not really fair to lump Steve Morse and Dave LaRue in the has-been category. SM wasn't in the classic Kansas line-up, and he's mostly known for The Dixie Dregs, his solo work, and Deep Purple. And LaRue also works with Morse in the Dregs and the Steve Morse band.

I can see why someone would consider Neal Morse a has-been though. Despite being somewhat popular (relatively speaking, of course) all his recent solo albums have the same sound and style and are musically similar.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #265 on: May 16, 2013, 09:48:40 PM »
I like the new song. The chorus is a little sappy, but the rest of the song is rock solid. Based on Elevate and this new one, it's easily my favorite of his post DT projects. I'm also thinking that they're going to be a monster of a live band. That's mostly what I'm looking forward to.

As for his post DT work being part time gigs with has beens, I think part of the problem is that they're all something outside of his comfort zone. Personally, I want MP playing prog and that seems to be the least of his interests right now. I'll but a TA album sound unheard right now, because I know it'll get me off. All of these other projects really need to sell me first, and not being what I'm particularity interested in hearing, they haven't. Even this, which I'm pretty cool with, isn't what I was really hoping for with these three guys in a power trio.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #266 on: May 17, 2013, 04:15:54 AM »
Based on Elevate and this new one, it's easily my favorite of his post DT projects.

Same here - I'm really liking what I've heard from The Winery Dogs so far. Flying Colors had a lot of potential but ultimately the overt use of falsetto on the lead vocals killed it for me. AMob might've worked if it'd happened 20 years ago, but not when they're in their 40s and the genre they're aping has already passed its self-by-date for all but the cream of the crop.

I just hope any singing Portnoy inevitably does on The Winery Dogs is kept to harmonies - Richie Kotzen's a great singer and is perfect for this material.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #267 on: May 17, 2013, 08:25:56 AM »
I'm sorry, but when is the album coming out?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: May 17, 2013, 08:31:02 AM »
I'm sorry, but when is the album coming out?
Out in Japan now, I think.

Out in the USA in like July.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #269 on: May 17, 2013, 08:51:53 PM »

Dude if those are "has beens," give me more please.

I come at this a different way though. In many cases I don't even think about "ex." I know most people here may consider Sheehan and Gilbert to be "Ex-Mr. Big" but that's my least favorite project that either one have been in.  And Steve Morse...ex Kansas?  He played on two albums and tour with them for a while and it was awesome, but I think it limits what these guys are capable of.

Maybe I'm missing the point, but I think if Mike wanted to be a bandleader and find some young guns like Neal Morse or Carl Palmer, I'm sure he'd have done it by now.

In MOST cases, I wouldn't say that Mike has been playing with B-list talent or below here.

Whether you like it or not, that's a whole other thing.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #270 on: May 19, 2013, 06:33:57 PM »
Not crazy about the newest song, but I was cranking Elevate and Desire all afternoon. Still really looking forward to the album
Photobucket sucks.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #271 on: May 29, 2013, 03:44:22 AM »
For any other UK (mainly London) DTFers, they're playing in Islington on 5th September. The date already listed on Seetickets, on sale Friday.

Offline philmcson

« Reply #272 on: May 30, 2013, 02:02:24 PM »
Seems all MP projects just copy/paste the venues from his previous bands, as far as I remember AdMob and FC played in similar cities/venues and same countries.... no courage/interest in going southern?  ::)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #273 on: May 30, 2013, 03:55:45 PM »
The tours have to go where there is money to pay for them. Especially a side project like this. You can take chances if you have a band you're trying to build with the future in mind, but with something like this you meet the demand that is there.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #274 on: May 30, 2013, 04:03:40 PM »
Plus, I think the average promoter is gonna see The Winery Dogs having an appeal on the same type of fans that Adrenaline Mob did.  Right or wrong, I think most will see it that way given that both, in simple terms, do that kind of power trio hard rock (A-Mob having a singer to go along with the trio instead of one of the three being the singer).

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #275 on: May 30, 2013, 04:17:03 PM »
Has anyone imported this?

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: May 31, 2013, 09:03:49 AM »
Yes, I did, to here in the UK. Arrived a couple of days ago but no chance to listen to it yet. That will hopefully change tonight.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #277 on: May 31, 2013, 09:59:36 AM »
Seems all MP projects just copy/paste the venues from his previous bands, as far as I remember AdMob and FC played in similar cities/venues and same countries.... no courage/interest in going southern?  ::)
A-Mob has played Dallas three times, so far. I had no interest in going to any of them, but if the same club wants to bring WD down I'll certainly check it out.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: May 31, 2013, 10:39:37 AM »
https://www.metal-temple.com/site/catalogues/entry/reviews/cd_3/t_2/the-winery-dogs-self.htm

After some high profile releases and particularly impressive ubiquity, the ex-DREAM THEATER / A7X drums God Mike Portnoy is back again with his new musical partner the magnificent Bass Maestro Billy Sheehan (NIACIN / TALAS / DAVID LEE ROTH / MR BIG / STEVE VAI / PSMS), under a power trio format, completed by none other than one of the most gifted Guitarist of his generation once Sharpnel Records alumni Richie Kotzen but this time no instrumental trickery, no instrumental knitting, because Kotzen beside his absolute skilled six strings wizardry is also indeed an hell of a fantastic soulful singer and a very underrated vocalist of the best brand. This is a  supergroup, a Dream Team hell yeah…but mostly a great band.

With such a busy time schedule for both workaholics Portnoy & Sheehan, we could have feared a fast almost sloppy affair, luckily with this first album is exactly the opposite. Sheehan & Kotzen were working many years together with MR BIG and in fact the sound of THE WINERY DOGS isn’t that far from what Sheehan, Paul Gilbert , Pat Torpey and Eric Martin have magnificently achieved.

The album start with groovy 70s infused blast of “Elevate” and followed by the heavy Funk flavor of “Desire” each track feature an intense rhythmic groove with short but impressive unison synchronized lead bass / lead guitar whirlwind licks of exuberant virtuosity, some unexpected harmonies that coming out of the Jazz-Rock / Rhythm N' Blues recipe book owned by Kotzen, but every song carries most of all a strong focus both on the catchy melodies and on the sing-along hooks which are everywhere boosted by rich Backing vocals (“The Other Side” or “The Dying”) really magnetic & irresistible. Those who are familiar with the prolific superb Kotzen’s discography knows that he’s an hugely skilled songwriter with a lot of style in his arsenal, so THE WINERY DOGS debut album is out of the same tradition as THE MOTHER HEAD'S FAMILLY REUNION, “Not Hopeless” contains however some over the top sharing duo between Richie & Billy, in the real MR BIG's shredding frenzy fashion, like a modern day GRAND FUNK RAILROAD with full injection of high tech dexterity.

Cuts like “One More Time” or “Six Feet Deeper” seems to be outtakes from the breath taking 1990s “Fever Dream”, with furious playing and great musicality concentrated for an even more efficiency. The Japan only bonus track, “Criminal” is strangely one of the most commercial song with an almost AOR chorus, a syncopated bridge and another outstanding lead guitar solo spot in two parts with a tasty sound. The closing number “Regret” is the sole composition handled exclusively by Mr. Kotzen: it’s a soul music track with slight Hammond layers and a real harmonious balanced to finish this album in a positive way. The pristine production is powerful and crystal clear, still organic with a strong vintage feel but not muddy, in fact it sounds like how Classic Rock in its purest form should sound in 2013. Just unadulterated genuine Rock played by an exemplary bunch of extremely talented musicians and it’s an understatement.

After an imposing huge list of albums and projects under his belt, Mike Portnoy with the help of another all-star lineup show to the incredulous crowd of jealous fellows, how his playing field is broad and how he can multiply in an almost monthly omnipresence the recording with the same prestige and the same success as FLYING COLORS / NEAL MORSE / PSMS / ADRENALINE MOB and the forthcoming BIGELF.

P.S.: The expensive Japanese edition with Shm-CD / DVD combo is particularly recommended. Expensive but worth every Yen.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni