Author Topic: The Winery Dogs thread - Portnoy, Sheehan and Kotzen  (Read 113238 times)

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
Re: The Winery Dogs thread - Portnoy, Sheehan and Kotzen
« Reply #210 on: May 12, 2013, 01:49:57 AM »
I still really liked it! Something simple, yet rocking. It's a nice change!
May The Force Be With You.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #211 on: May 12, 2013, 04:34:53 AM »
New video online. Great song. looking forward to this. MP's best post DT project so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_SdasimlLQ&feature=youtu.be

Very cool.  Looking forward to this.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: May 12, 2013, 06:08:01 AM »
Good stuff!

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #213 on: May 12, 2013, 07:29:05 AM »
It's alright. Nothing too special.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: May 12, 2013, 09:46:08 AM »
New video online. Great song. looking forward to this. MP's best post DT project so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_SdasimlLQ&feature=youtu.be

Very cool.  Looking forward to this.

Best project MP has been involved in aside from OSI.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #215 on: May 12, 2013, 02:35:51 PM »
This might be a function of Youtube or my laptop speakers, but is this song really loud to anyone else? I.e. compressed?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #216 on: May 12, 2013, 03:36:05 PM »
This might be a function of Youtube or my laptop speakers, but is this song really loud to anyone else? I.e. compressed?

Is it just cos there's only guitars, bass, drums and vocals? Not much to get in the way.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: May 12, 2013, 07:35:28 PM »
Yeah, definitely.

Oddly, I think power trios are one of the few arrangements where compression actually helps. Kinda fills up all the empty space you normally get with just three players.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #218 on: May 12, 2013, 07:55:19 PM »
ok, I gotta admit I do dig that second song.  This is the first thing MP has done since DT that I have liked. 

Not sure if I like it enough to buy it though. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #219 on: May 12, 2013, 08:42:47 PM »
Yeah, definitely.

Oddly, I think power trios are one of the few arrangements where compression actually helps. Kinda fills up all the empty space you normally get with just three players.

In general I agree,  compression can fill the space successfully. But it has to be done lightly, because you don't want to lose the dynamic that makes power trio so awesome.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #220 on: May 12, 2013, 09:12:26 PM »
Maybe it's my hearing being bad from working in construction AND playing a lot of loud music for the better part of my life, maybe it's because I've never really invested in an audiophile worthy sound system-right now I play my CDs on a 30 dollar CD player I got at Target-but I never hear all the compression and whatnot people go on about. Is it just me?  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #221 on: May 12, 2013, 10:49:54 PM »

It is pretty loud, and overcompresses a bit too much on the drum kick for my liking, but I don't think it's too loud for a rock album. I'll judge it properly once we get the proper album though, rather than Youtube.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #222 on: May 13, 2013, 02:05:11 AM »
Maybe it's my hearing being bad from working in construction AND playing a lot of loud music for the better part of my life, maybe it's because I've never really invested in an audiophile worthy sound system-right now I play my CDs on a 30 dollar CD player I got at Target-but I never hear all the compression and whatnot people go on about. Is it just me?  :lol

Nah, I'm with you there. The majority of all albums that I listen to sound perfectly fine to my ears.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline r0cken

« Reply #223 on: May 13, 2013, 02:25:54 AM »
Warmed up to it on the third listen.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #224 on: May 13, 2013, 07:20:13 AM »
Excellent.  Loving the new song already.

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #225 on: May 13, 2013, 07:52:23 AM »

It is pretty loud, and overcompresses a bit too much on the drum kick for my liking, but I don't think it's too loud for a rock album. I'll judge it properly once we get the proper album though, rather than Youtube.

The real album does not sound that way. As a matter of fact there is not a whole lot of mastering compression at all. I know we are not allowed to discuss, so trust me on this one.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #226 on: May 13, 2013, 08:15:51 AM »

The real album does not sound that way. As a matter of fact there is not a whole lot of mastering compression at all. I know we are not allowed to discuss, so trust me on this one.

I'm happy to take your word on that! Youtube isn't exactly known for its sound quality.
As I said, I'll judge it once I get the album, and I'll definitely be getting this one. And I'm happy with how it sounds even in that clip, and that's worst case scenario.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: May 14, 2013, 09:54:42 AM »
Yet again poor verse, good chorus, not sure what to think of these yet

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #228 on: May 14, 2013, 11:16:58 AM »
Youtube comment of the "Elevate" video:

amy reed 5 days ago
does richie like older fat women because if he does...IM ALL HIS

:lol :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #229 on: May 14, 2013, 12:11:24 PM »
The first song was pretty cool, this one is kinda "meh"

The bass solo was interesting, though  :)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #230 on: May 14, 2013, 01:52:21 PM »
Youtube comment of the "Elevate" video:

amy reed 5 days ago
does richie like older fat women because if he does...IM ALL HIS

:lol :lol

Fantastic :rollin
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #231 on: May 14, 2013, 05:33:26 PM »
Sounds like Audioslave. That's not a bade thing, though. Hell, I'd even pay to see this band, and I couldn't be troubled to see AM any of the three times they've played Dallas.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: May 14, 2013, 06:34:24 PM »
Sounds like Audioslave. That's not a bade thing, though. Hell, I'd even pay to see this band, and I couldn't be troubled to see AM any of the three times they've played Dallas.
Yeah, I always felt like Audioslave could have been so much more.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: May 14, 2013, 10:54:48 PM »
Holy crap.  Just listening to the two new tunes for the first time.  This is good shit.  This band could get quite a following.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline philmcson

« Reply #234 on: May 15, 2013, 11:53:58 AM »
AS far as I know, they released their album in Japan today. Still no link to download it anywhere  :censored

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: May 15, 2013, 12:06:01 PM »
You just can't depend on the Japanese to steal anything these days

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #236 on: May 15, 2013, 12:10:11 PM »
I think you're letting your piracy bias cloud your ability to read posts since he very likely could've been referring to downloading mp3s on a pay site.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: May 15, 2013, 12:15:46 PM »
Piracy bias?  :lol

Offline Jaq

« Reply #238 on: May 15, 2013, 12:20:43 PM »
I'll freely admit, until this gets a US release, my main options would be either downloading it or hoping it hits Spotify, since import prices from Japan tend to be pretty dear.

If anyone can provide a link to something that proves me wrong, though, I'd gladly buy it.  :rollin
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #239 on: May 15, 2013, 12:41:10 PM »
I read it will be out worldwide in July according to the Winery Dogs Twitter account
May The Force Be With You.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #240 on: May 15, 2013, 01:06:07 PM »
Then I can wait.  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #241 on: May 15, 2013, 05:27:08 PM »
To quote Perp from the A Mob thread:
I think he realizes that many of his fans think it’s terrible. There was a thread at MP.com where posters were ranking MP projects awhile back, and AMOB barely showed up on anyone’s list. And when it did, it was almost always at the bottom.

So MP must realize that his typical fanbase don’t really like AMOB. What he doesn’t realize (or is maybe just beginning to realize) is that other rock/metal fans (Who go to Godsmack and Halestorm shows) don’t really dig AMOB much either.

I don’t really blame them. When I have to sit through an opening band I don’t know or care about, they’d better offer something that makes me remember them. AMOB aren’t very unique sounding to my ears, and I suppose AMOB really don’t have what it takes stick out in the hazy memories of thousands of drunken Godsmack fans :P

I’d like to hear AMOB give it one last try, and go into the studio determined to make something with a little bit more personality. I still think the band sounds decent on paper and could be good, so hopefully they won’t be discouraged and will take their failures as opportunities to improve on their formula.

I've been thinking about the Winery Dogs clip, trying to figure out how I really felt about it. Then Perp's post heped shed some light.

This was my biggest fear when MP left DT. MP's drumming and live performances, nevermind the fan extras, were the greatest factor in my DT fandom. In a way, I felt like I "lost" MP. He's going to go from project to project, and either I will like it or not. Now I think A Mob is OK, and have no use for Flying Colors, but these projects just feel like it's MP getting some buds together and banging out some tunes. Not really any limit pushing going on, just hanging out. When I watch MP's performance in the Desire video, that's all I feel.

Now I'm sure MP has his heart and soul in these projects as they are happening, but it has a flavor of the day type feeling. Maybe I have false hope, but I guess I'm waiting for MP to do what I think he does best, that is put together a progressive hard rock band that has legs, and take the lead in his genre as he once did before.

I can't believe I'm going to make this analogy, but these projects reek of "rebound" relationships. I would never claim that MP isn't serious or invested in these projects, but as a fan, I'm really hoping for MP to find a new "home". One that I, as a huge MP fan, can count on.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #242 on: May 15, 2013, 06:04:01 PM »
^Yeah, I hear you.  Although A7X wasn't exactly my cup of tea, I kind of wish they had offered to keep him on full time.  I felt like they were a good fit for him (even if he wasn't a good fit for them).  He got to play music that was heavy, but still challanging, and he got to do it in packed areas.  Can't get much better than that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: May 15, 2013, 06:13:52 PM »
^Yeah, I hear you.  Although A7X wasn't exactly my cup of tea, I kind of wish they had offered to keep him on full time.  I felt like they were a good fit for him (even if he wasn't a good fit for them).  He got to play music that was heavy, but still challanging, and he got to do it in packed areas.  Can't get much better than that.

Didn't A7X sort of allude to the fact all the DT drama prevented that from happening?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #244 on: May 15, 2013, 06:26:44 PM »
The massive age difference will have played a factor too. Which I think is haunting him in all these bands too. In prog rock/metal his work would be a continuation of his impressive resume, in other genres he enters it as an aging rocker.