Author Topic: so let's talk STRINGS, shall we (and bass players don't be shy)  (Read 4076 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: so let's talk STRINGS, shall we (and bass players don't be shy)
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2011, 10:14:31 AM »
Aye, strings you say?

Ernie Ball .10-.46 for 6 strings, .10-.56 for 7 strings.

So, yeah. .10's, because everything else I either find way too light, or too heavy.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2011, 12:38:08 PM »
I just got my new Warwick Red Label Nickelwounds. 135 - 45. It was cheap, I'm very curious of the sound of quality of those...

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2011, 05:17:43 AM »
^ nice.
@Elite, have you tried 11s? they're not much different (considering tension adjustment for them so they're not "that" tight in E standard), but i play in D#/E♭. i've noticed increased sustain too.

now yesterday i picked up a pack of d'addario 10s for my rhoads. they're ready to be wound on, but i can't do it on my own and esPECIALLY on a Jackson headstock where it's angled like a bitch. will have to wait to take it to school.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2011, 02:12:06 PM »
For a long time I ran Dean Markley Blue Steels (.045-.105), but i recently put a set of Rotosounds (Swing, Nickel, .045-.105) on my new p-bass, and I think I'm now a convert.

For flats, I just got a set of of D'Addario Chromes, and I like them so far, but it's only been a couple of hours.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2011, 04:16:21 AM »
^ I had the D'Addario Chromes, 11s, because I was playing more jazz so I wanted to get to know what a full blown jazz tone sounded like. What are you using them for?

Unfortunately the only guitar I could test those on was my Rhoads. A few months later I got rid of them for 105-48, and a few months after that I've gone back to 10s. I wrote about that up there. This time it will probably be permanent for that guitar. Shouldn't have anything odd or too fat, it's a shredder's/metal guitar so all it really needs is 10s ya know.
A question on action, should it be fairly low for that sort of guitar?

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2011, 10:40:55 AM »
^ I had the D'Addario Chromes, 11s, because I was playing more jazz so I wanted to get to know what a full blown jazz tone sounded like. What are you using them for?

Unfortunately the only guitar I could test those on was my Rhoads. A few months later I got rid of them for 105-48, and a few months after that I've gone back to 10s. I wrote about that up there. This time it will probably be permanent for that guitar. Shouldn't have anything odd or too fat, it's a shredder's/metal guitar so all it really needs is 10s ya know.

To clarify, these are on bass, not guitar.  Anyway, the bass that's running them is set up with Dimarzio Model P & J, with series/parallel switching for both pickups.  I wanted a tone that was darker, more of a "sledgehammer" than the "axe" that I get with the Rotosounds.  I was very quickly able to cop a Soundgarden tone, as well as the obligatory Steve Harris tone.

I've got the Rotosounds on a P-bass with a maple neck and an SD quarter pounder.  It sounds like a dream.
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2011, 05:47:35 PM »

To clarify, these are on bass, not guitar.  Anyway, the bass that's running them is set up with Dimarzio Model P & J, with series/parallel switching for both pickups.  I wanted a tone that was darker, more of a "sledgehammer" than the "axe" that I get with the Rotosounds.  I was very quickly able to cop a Soundgarden tone, as well as the obligatory Steve Harris tone.

I've got the Rotosounds on a P-bass with a maple neck and an SD quarter pounder.  It sounds like a dream.

Hmm, I was thinking of putting flats on my only bass once the strings have had it. Squier P-Bass. I like the jazzed up tone and it should be easier on my fingers I think.
Just saw your new thread, nice pups and P-Bass you have.

Offline latvianxave8

• Thou shalt not suck
  • Dethklok is the shit
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2011, 12:07:46 AM »
E Standard, Eb Standard, Drop D, Drop C#, D Standard: .11 - .52
C# Standard, C Standard, Drop C, Drop B: .13-.56

Dunlop Nickel Plated Steel

Offline Banny

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2011, 08:08:06 AM »
For flats, I just got a set of of D'Addario Chromes, and I like them so far, but it's only been a couple of hours.

These are great strings, I just hate plying with them.  :) No really, they feel like a dream and they sound killer for jazz music. But I'm only in rock bands so they aren't too suitable there, and they're not quite the sound I like to play with either. But all the same, they're great strings.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2011, 11:35:43 PM »
got the 10s on my Rhoads now. plays real well, all that needs to be done is just a little bit of lowering to the action.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2011, 05:49:57 PM »

These are great strings, I just hate plying with them.  :) No really, they feel like a dream and they sound killer for jazz music. But I'm only in rock bands so they aren't too suitable there, and they're not quite the sound I like to play with either. But all the same, they're great strings.

Maybe they just need to be paired with aggressive pickups?

What is your preference for flats for rock?