Author Topic: so let's talk STRINGS, shall we (and bass players don't be shy)  (Read 4075 times)

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
post your strings of choice, strings you wish for, strings on your to-get list, etc.

my mexi-strat has a nice set of d'addarios, 10s, but they've been olding recently. now i'm after a more chunky tone (i love SRV, etc.) and want to get used to tougher strings and more difficult to do vibratos and such. i want to be able to "battle" with the strings sometimes but i'm too used to 10s to be able to have fun with this. now i've bought 11s (-49) by aforementioned d'addario and can't wait to have my teacher assist me with replacing the (to be) old set. 9s are just way too slinky and tone sacrificing in my case.

the rhoads has the .105-48 d'addario gauge on it, except i left the 10 on it because at the time it was only a few weeks fresh. i wanted to have 9-48 but that, unfortunately, wasn't possible. now once i'm done with my strat's 10s i can replace the rhoads' strings with maybe standard 10s. can go to that if my fingers hurt from the 11s, i think that's a good deal. unless you recommend i get 9-46 on the rhoads.
my latest guitar, black standard squier i've set-up upside down for the hendrix vibe because i've been playing lefty for a while, has 9-46s (d'addario of course). the right hand can't handle toughness yet. :rollin

you know i've searched for a thread on strings but there was none, until now! good to have a thread to discuss strings in.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 04:45:17 PM by SPNKr »

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
Re: so let's talk STRINGS, shall we
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 04:12:41 PM »
I had .11s on my Strat for about a year before getting fed up with cutting my fingers open playing SRV tunes. Switched over to .10s; life is easier now :lol

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 04:19:38 PM »
An old dude in the guitar dept. at the Sam Ash where I used to work turned me on to Rotosound strings years ago and I haven't looked back since, they're awesome.  Great bright tone and a very long life.  I use .09s (Rotopinks).

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 04:24:31 PM »
I'm a fan of Ernie Ball Super Slinkys, although I'm think about trying a different gauge. Not sure where to go though.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 04:26:02 PM »
biggest strings I ever had on a guitar was a custom set and the high E string was a .15 or a .16 (standard tuning). I dunno what the fuck was wrong with me. I usually use daddario 10-52 now. I've never tried Rotosound guitar strings, but they make fantastic bass strings.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 04:39:04 PM »
I've always been an Ernie Ball .10 gauge kinda guy.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Re: so let's talk STRINGS, shall we (and bass players don't be shy)
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 06:47:12 PM »
I've tried a million different brands of string, and the standard Ernie Ball .10s are easily my favorite. Incredibly easy to bend and they very rarely break, even when I'm going completely nuts with my Floyd Rose.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 08:29:28 PM »
biggest strings I ever had on a guitar was a custom set and the high E string was a .15 or a .16 (standard tuning). I dunno what the fuck was wrong with me. I usually use daddario 10-52 now. I've never tried Rotosound guitar strings, but they make fantastic bass strings.

I've had the d'addario 10-52 before on my rhoads, back when I hadn't any guitar lessons under my belt (meaning i didn't even know how to solo, etc.) but the tension was very tough in E. Very good for metal and tuning down to other standards, not just drop, but you need to be used to that sort of gauge i guess and have lots of practice down before you know what to use them for.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 06:25:18 AM »
I'm using D'addario, 9s, but I'd like to try 10s since most people uses that.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 06:35:32 AM »
Ernie Ball .10's.

For a long time, I played EB .11's on my Les Paul.  SLIGHTLY shorter neck, so the strings didn't feel quite as heavy, plus my hands were in ridiculously good shape at the time.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 06:45:37 AM »
Yeah, I used to use Ernie Ball Slinky .11's on my Strat and my Dan Electro all the time.  The Dano was good but for the Strat... I dunno.  The tone to playability ratio wasn't good enough to warrant further use, if that makes sense.  Ugh.

Now I use Elixir 10's on my Tele.  So much easier.  Oh, and I recommend Elixir strings to ANY guitarist here; they keep their tone waaaay longer than Slinky's, which is nice, unless you're a dead string kinda guy.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 07:19:25 AM »
I use D'Addarios Regular Light (.010-.046).  I used to use heavy strings (.012-.053 or something like that) and I liked the sound of the thicker low strings.

Bass strings, I don't know what I use.  They're more expensive so I hardly change them.  My basses probably sound like crap  :lol
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 08:39:08 AM »
I did find out a useful thing though.  As an outdoor gig this past weekend, I was wiping my head down with a wet rag.  Got my fret hand fingertips wet.  Not smart.  For part of the next set, my fingertips were hurting, because they had softened up a hair from getting wet.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 11:10:07 PM »
I just get size 9's of whatever I want. I've never noticed a difference of sound but only in how the strings feel. For my les paul I always use Ace Frehley strings because they last a long time and they feel good. For my other guitars it's usually whatever is on sale.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 12:01:03 AM »
I'm using D'addario, 9s, but I'd like to try 10s since most people uses that.
yeah, go ahead. i'd recommend 10s to anybody who hasn't tried them. it's funny because 9s are "super" light while 10s are a light gauge and 11 is "regular". Not many people like anything above 10s lol.

so just a few hours ago my buddy helped me string my guitar (teacher was absent, sick). the new 11s are actually really nice, and the tone once plugged in is quite fuller sounding. now i just gotta get used to how they feel.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2011, 06:51:46 AM »
I just cannot feel comfortable playing on .09's anymore.  They feel like wet spaghetti noodles in my hands.  I play hard, so I need heavy strings that can stand up to the beating I give my guitars.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2011, 07:04:36 AM »
D'addario 9-42.  I know it lacks the tone a little, but I like my strngs nice and light.  I've actually used 8-38 (?) once, shit they were light.  Great for leads, I understand why Yngwie digs them.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2011, 07:12:27 AM »
Actually I'm using D'addario 130-45 5 string and 105-45 4 string. I was using Ernie Balls, but those strings are more expensive, and D'addario have definitly longer sustain... and longer life ;)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2011, 07:13:08 AM »
D'addario 9-42.  I know it lacks the tone a little, but I like my strngs nice and light.  I've actually used 8-38 (?) once, shit they were light.  Great for leads, I understand why Yngwie digs them.

If I played strings that light, I'd be a complete mess.  I'd be overbending strings and completely unable to cope.  I got up and did a song with some of my buddies at a gig once.  The guitarist had REALLY light strings and I had a bitch of a time playing it.  The strings felt like mush to me.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2011, 11:25:10 AM »
ernie ball slinky, or daddario

9's or 10's

doesnt really matter to me. i like to switch around

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2011, 11:35:37 AM »
Lately I've been using 10 gauge Curt Mangan strings.  I'm happy with them

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2011, 05:09:07 PM »

If I played strings that light, I'd be a complete mess.  I'd be overbending strings and completely unable to cope.  I got up and did a song with some of my buddies at a gig once.  The guitarist had REALLY light strings and I had a bitch of a time playing it.  The strings felt like mush to me.

i think the reason why 9s aren't good for players that like to fight/battle, or just aren't gentle at all with their strings, is because you can easily overbend out of key. they go out of tune more often in my experience because of that.
i like how metallica also uses 11s. i got to play for a while last night and my fingers were nicely worn  :lol, nothing major.

Offline Banny

• DT.net Veteran
*BASS PLAYER*
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2011, 05:15:47 AM »
I never was a string guy. I've been using D'addarios since 2001 (when I first started playing bass.) I've liked them, but was never really gave a shit exactly which strings they were. I'd usually go for the nickel because I like the bright tone. Anyways, within the past year, I've switched over to EB Slinky's and I'm pretty sure I'll never turn back. I've tried a variety of slink gauges and I simply love them all. At the moment I've got the 6JM strung up with Power Slinkys and the Bongo with the long scale .32-.130

Now I'm a string guy. :hat

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2011, 05:45:24 PM »
Of course everyone started off not knowing or caring what strings they had, as long as they were clean :lol
anyway, the new 11s of mine are doing great for me.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2011, 02:17:55 PM »
How about acoustic strings? I like .13s

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2011, 02:35:14 PM »
For electric, I'll go for Ernie Ball .10 gauge, usually. 

As far as acoustic, I like the GHS Contact Core Brights, medium.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2011, 07:32:05 PM »
hmm acutally i don't have an acoustic yet, just a classical, but at my school the acoustics have 13s (-52 i think) and it's very standard for an acoustic gauge. i'd prefer maybe 11s for an acoustic if i got one. i HATE wound G strings!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2011, 07:02:13 AM »

They were quite difficult to manage for a while but I got use to them.  I liked the wider bend opportunities it gives you, plus it was good control practice learning how to hit half and full bends with such light strings.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2011, 07:41:20 AM »
I suppose it could be good to try them out again, just to see what I could do with them.  The guy whose guitar I jammed on the one time must have had 8's on it or something.  It was awful.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2011, 12:05:42 AM »
had 8's on it or something.  It was awful.

:| well i've never used them yet but that must be an unorthodox gauge, hey..

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2011, 06:21:00 AM »
I would never in a million years suggest it, unless you really love light strings.  Seriously, it felt like normal strings that had been loosened some.  Terrible.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2011, 10:23:29 AM »
That sounds absolutely awful

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2011, 05:47:34 PM »
well... i guess there may have been a time where i picked up a strat or something at the store and it had 8s. i have played guitars with 9s that didn't feel like 9s, and sometimes you come across a strange feeling set.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2011, 10:51:05 PM »
8's do feel strange, but you do adapt to them.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2011, 06:56:59 AM »
I use Ernie Ball Not Even Slinky's.
.012-.056
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 10:03:26 PM by Metropolaris »