Author Topic: 2011-10-10 - Orpheum Theatre - Boston, MA  (Read 27933 times)

Offline InfraredDream

Re: 2011-10-10 - Orpheum Theatre - Boston, MA
« Reply #105 on: October 11, 2011, 01:10:00 PM »
They were in a pretty tight spot when Portnoy quit.  I don't know if you were at the concert last night or have seen any of the gigs since Mangini joined, but I think I agree that Mangini "saved" Dream Theater in that both is technical abilities as a drummer and his personality were an excellent fit, and you could really, really feel the love flowing to him from the audience last night.  I can't speak for anyone else, but that's what I get from the "saved" comment.

I was not at that particular concert, but totally agree for the feel in general and it was pretty apparent at the show I was :) After the set when he came in front to join the rest of the guys, he was looking at us saying "WOW.. WOW WOW" with such a smile... It was a wonderful and very emotional moment for me and I think for a big part of the audience.

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #106 on: October 11, 2011, 01:10:52 PM »
Good show (I had front row, balcony center)

But Dream Theater was way, way, way, way too fucking loud.

Agreed. I was in the balcony as well and DT was definitely too loud. I believe it was just a function of being in the balcony though...sound is generally pretty good on the floor at the Orpheum. Keyboard mix was off for couple of songs, but seems like they fixed it.

Mangini though....Jesus, what a drummer. And even better guy. He saved this band, folks....I hope you all realize that.

I didn't realize the band was in need of being saved

They were in a pretty tight spot when Portnoy quit.  I don't know if you were at the concert last night or have seen any of the gigs since Mangini joined, but I think I agree that Mangini "saved" Dream Theater in that both is technical abilities as a drummer and his personality were an excellent fit, and you could really, really feel the love flowing to him from the audience last night.  I can't speak for anyone else, but that's what I get from the "saved" comment.
I was there and I know what you mean, I was very happy to see Mangini become so accepted and appreciated by all the fans. But I never really had doubts that DT wouldn't be able to go on when Portnoy left. Whether it's Mangini or any of the other drummers they auditioned for the job, they would be able to push forward and keep making great music.  You're not wrong in that Mike Mangini is an absolutely fantastic fit for the band, he fits in so well and is clearly having the greatest time of his life playing with the guys and that's awesome.  I just don't think that without mangini they would be doomed

Offline johncal

« Reply #107 on: October 11, 2011, 01:22:47 PM »
I think they'd have been in a tough spot without Mangini. Just the vibe I got from the other drummers in the audition video had me scared. Virgil looked like he didn't know where he was half the time, Lang looked powerful but no finesse, and so on. JMO.

If you look at all the polls on average it's about a 2 to 1 favoring MM over MP for the group not matter what. That's really impressive with us being the nit picky fans we are. I can't imagine anyone else would rate that high overall.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #108 on: October 11, 2011, 01:26:24 PM »
For me, the humility he continues to display is what was really needed at this point and it comes off as very genuine, not manufactured or contrived.  I don't know if any of the other drummers would have been able to pull that off quite as well as Mangini has done.  He was, literally, the perfect fit.

By the way, last night's drum solo was THE FIRST drum solo I have ever sat through, all the way to the end, and not been bored.   :hefdaddy

Offline bigrich67

« Reply #109 on: October 11, 2011, 01:42:51 PM »
what a friggin' show...definitely worth the drive from vermont.  my first DT show ever, and definitely will not be my last.   :metal

got to chat with some folks before the M&G - mainly a guy that looked like actor ron perlman, and a guy from providence (i think) who brought his guitar to get signed.  everyone there for the M&G were really nice.

the M&G was awesome.  as i feared, this 43 year old guy turned in to a 13 year-old at a bieber concert.  i was so nervous around the guys, it was all i could do to keep it together.  when i walked up for the picture, JP looked and smiled at me and for a moment i thought he was going to put his arm around me and welcome me in to the group lol.  going through the autograph line was cool, but again my words failed me when i tried to talk to the guys.   :blush  i think i told MM that i looked forward to hearing him with the band for many years to come.  JR looked a little perturbed or had something on his mind.  maybe he was having an 0ff-day or not feeling all that great.  JMX looked directly at me as i blurted out something...not sure if he asked me a question or if he was just giving me his undivided attention, but i couldn't hear him all that well so i'll never know.   :sad:   i joked with JP something about "i told myself i would keep it together here, but i don't know..." to which he gave me a big smile and said "well, don't lose it on me now" LOL.  i told him that i really apprecicated the M&G opportunity.  i told labrie that i loved his voice, and that i didn't give a shit what the critics say about it, to which he replied "bleh-fuck the critics.  who gives a shit what they say, right?"  made me grin from ear to ear.  the guys were all very friendly and cordial.  what an experience.  would do it again in a heartbeat.

on to the show...i had 4th row (floor), right center.  if MP was still in the band, i proably would have been spit on!   :)   never heard of trivium before, but what an opener.  not my kind of music really, but i have to agree that they had great stage presence and a great job of getting the crowd pumped up for DT.

my god - what a show by DT.  what a SHOW!  being in the 4th row, it was pretty loud - seemed a little excessive considering the size of the theater.  i think i was getting 1/2 of what was coming off stage and 1/2 of what was coming through the front speakers.  the vocal and music seemed almost the same level, which made it a little difficult to make out labrie.  but i am not complaining by any means.

a very entertaining, energetic show.  the opening video is hilarious.  great stuff.  the guys looked happy, healthy, and were having fun up there.  loved labrie's pirate coat and that mic stand kicks ass.  got to see JR with the zenn riffer jamming it up with JP center stage, and JMX and JP getting together a couple of times.  there was a spot where JP got up on the drum riser and motioned with his head to JMX to come on up.  it looked like Myung shook his head "no" at first, but he ended up climbing up there too.  friggin' awesome. 

any video you've seen of MM's drum solo does not do it justice.  you have to see this guy.  he is an UNBELIEVABLE MONSTER!  how he doesn't break 5 drum heads a show, i'll never know.  very intense - bashing the life out of those drums - but never out of control.  he's having the time of his life up there, and he is so enjoying this opportunity.  thank god JP and the guys kept this thing going and we are pretty fortunate to have a great guy like mangini in the band.  there will always be a place in my heart for MP, but mangini is the real deal folks.  phenomenal.

i was a little surprised we got the same show as the 10/8 show since they have been alternating, but maybe it was because they had the opportunity of Eugene Friesen performing with them or just because they had a day off.

Offline InfraredDream

« Reply #110 on: October 11, 2011, 05:09:44 PM »
For me, the humility he continues to display is what was really needed at this point and it comes off as very genuine, not manufactured or contrived.  I don't know if any of the other drummers would have been able to pull that off quite as well as Mangini has done.  He was, literally, the perfect fit.

Totally agree with you once again, my feelings towards him as well. He was my favourite for the spot from the first minute I saw him and I was so scared they would take somebody else. And every interview, and meeting him recently showed me he was the perfect fit indeed. His passion to be there and the way he accept the whole situation combined with his exceptional professionalism makes him the fit he is.

bigrich67, great review, it was a pleasure to read! Thank you.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #111 on: October 12, 2011, 06:11:05 AM »
JR looked a little perturbed or had something on his mind.  maybe he was having an 0ff-day or not feeling all that great.

It's funny you mentioned that. He really appeared to be preoccupied during the show. At least that's what it seemed to me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BMWWrstlr

• Official DTF flag-thrower
« Reply #112 on: October 12, 2011, 06:30:04 AM »
On another note...if you happened to be the guy in the blue golf shirt standing in front of me...think about chewing some gum or something if you're going to smoke 9,000 cigarettes a day...you  :censored  stink to high heaven sir....
All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars.

Offline EstyMaJ

« Reply #113 on: October 12, 2011, 07:08:02 AM »
What a Show!!
First time i had to sit way up in the balcony just before the railing but this was my 3rd time seeing them there and besides the meat head sitting next to my buddy's kid complaining how trivium didn't play long enough and asking stupid questions like why is everyone clapping and screaming for the drummer LOL!!
but this was defiantly one of the best out of the 7 times i have seen them James sounded so good i though , a few times i lost JP but they fixed it .
all i could do is smile like a proud parent the whole show i don't know why but thats how i felt and as hot as HELL as it was up there at times i actually got the chills LOL .
well DT has a new rookie fan as my buddy drought his son for his first ever concert he loved it and has been listening to DT for a few months here and the but is nor going after all there cd's lol , I LOVE IT! first I go it his Dad hooked last year Show at the palladium and now his son whoohoo!!.

So anyway i got to work thismorning and made a playlist from the setlist of the show and i am now smileing ear to ear !! oh and  MANGINI YOU MONSTER!!!!

Offline Steve69

« Reply #114 on: October 12, 2011, 08:30:56 AM »
Good show (I had front row, balcony center)

But Dream Theater was way, way, way, way too fucking loud.

I tend to agree - Perhaps not so much the volume level, but the mixing maybe...? 

I took my 15 year old son to the Orpheum to see his first rock concert AND his first DT concert & he was absolutely blown away...  Our seats were awesome (Mezz Row A), JP and JL both looked right at him and pointed as he was standing up and rocking it (which made his day), and their set list was spectacular, as I really didn't expect them to play so many pieces from so many albums.

I did think it could have been mixed better for the venue though - I was thinking that, if I didn't already know all the songs by heart, I would have been lost several times.  Probably not a good first DT concert for the uninitiated, but a great show for a long time fan.

How far they've come since I saw them on the I+W tour -

And I must admit, I never once missed MP.  Mangini is absolutely amazing and what's more, he looked like he was having more fun than any of us... 

In a word, it was awesome & it was great to share it with my son...

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #115 on: October 13, 2011, 10:31:48 AM »
Still no video of Beneath the Surface! I need to see it.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2011, 11:15:07 AM »
Still no video of Beneath the Surface! I need to see it.

In the meanwhile you can "taste" Eugene's presence on stage watching the video of him playing Disappear I recently uploaded on youtube  :biggrin:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline BMWWrstlr

• Official DTF flag-thrower
« Reply #117 on: October 19, 2011, 08:22:59 AM »
Dream Theater's made it to the big time. How do you know? Because that freakazoid Jesus man with his sandwich board and pamphlets (who's always out in front of Fenway) was out in front of the Orpheum before the show.
All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #118 on: October 21, 2011, 06:53:22 PM »
found this video from the show. (i didnt)

Beneath the Surface w/ cello (clip) https://youtu.be/fahMmSBB8KA