Author Topic: Score is amazing  (Read 4674 times)

Offline ShadowWalker

Re: Score is amazing
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2011, 11:37:17 AM »
I'll take LaB (my favorite official live release) over Score any day of the week, despite the fact that I was at RCMH that evening. I love listening to the first disc of Score, but never put in disc two or three (though the Metropolis closer is on my iPod).

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2011, 01:58:30 PM »
I gained a new appreciation for Innocence Faded after hearing it live for the 1st time on Score.  Also, Raise The Knife is just.... :hefdaddy
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2011, 02:17:28 PM »
It Definitely was their worst live DVD prior to Chaos in Motion DVD.
I hate Score with passion. Set list, audio mixing, stage direction, filming and even the band's visual performance.
I've only watched it in full once during which I couldn't help but distract myself with other things to prevent severe boredom. I only go back to it for Metropolis, Octavarium and TRoAE
Budokan I can't get enough of, the best.

I suddenly feel the irresistable urge to disrespect Egypt.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2011, 02:55:58 PM »
I recently purchased the Score CD set (I've had the DVD since its release), and I was wondering if there was any autotuning that was added to JLB's performance. Because he is phenomenally outstanding with his vocals here, but it almost seems too good to be true. I've read that he may have overdubbed a few spots here and there, but that it was largely untouched. Does anyone know for sure? Just wondering.

IIRC James patched up a few spots where he went awry, but like you said, for the most part that is just him in pure beast mode.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2011, 03:03:32 PM »
I hate Score with passion. Set list, audio mixing, stage direction, filming and even the band's visual performance.
I've only watched it in full once during which I couldn't help but distract myself with other things to prevent severe boredom. I only go back to it for Metropolis, Octavarium and TRoAE

I suddenly feel the irresistable urge to disrespect Egypt.
HOW DARE YOU
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2011, 05:02:27 PM »
 :rollin
But Budokhan is better.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2011, 05:04:34 PM »
no
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2011, 05:09:31 PM »
Yes.

you get a sense that their 20th Anniversary performance isn't so much "the best of the best" as "the best of the rest."

Actually the best description I've seen of what's wrong with Score.
Curious about one thing for people who say it's amazing; is it the orchestra that make you say that? honestly.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2011, 05:19:52 PM »
I'm looking at the setlist now.

Root of All Evil... Amazing. Another Won... Amazing. Raise the Knife... Amazing. The Spirit Carries On... Amazing. (Most of) Six Degrees... Amazing. Octavarium... Amazing. Metropolis... Amazing.

The other songs are all real good too, except maybe Answer Lies Within and Sacrificed Sons.

I think that's a great setlist.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2011, 05:27:53 PM »
I hate to be the lone person banging this drum on every thread, but it is relevant. Another Won.

If it hadn't have been for that song, I probably would have lost interest in DT for some time. I liked it at first, but after SC came out, I really gravitated towards Another Won. The song is just purely amazing. I love it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2011, 05:44:48 PM »
Curious about one thing for people who say it's amazing; is it the orchestra that make you say that? honestly.

For me, it's the set, the orchestra, the performance...pretty much everything about it.  Yes, if I were handpicking the set myself, I would have made a few changes here and there, but I can say that about the vast majority of sets DT put together.  I would have loved it if, for instance, they had SOC after Vacant.  But it wouldn't really make sense because (1) it was just on their last DVD and (2) they just didn't have the space in the set.  

As far as the set is concerned, here is my take.  First off, there are a few parameters that have to be kept in mind:  (1)  They were going to play a bunch of songs from Octavarium because they were touring in support of that album.  (2)  They were going to play through their discography in order by album.  (3)  They were going to have an orchestra for the second set.  (4)  They had a set time limit for the show that they could not deviate from, even a little bit.  

Given those parameters, let's take a close look at the set list.  I'll look at set #2 and the encore first because that is the easiest to deal with.  The ONLY song I would cut is TALW.  Yes, it was elevated by having the orchestra, but I still don't like it all that much, and there was PLENTY of other material from that album.  Cut that song, and you free up a grand total of 5:36.  As far as the other songs, I wouldn't change a thing.  I love Six Degrees, and despite the orchestra sounding out of tune during Overture, it really did work well with an orchestra and was amazing.  Vacant is a terrific song and sounded great with the orchestra.  Same with SS, 8VM, and Metropolis.  It would have been great to add SC in.  But the problem is, even with cutting TALW, you have to find another 6 minutes to make it fit, and there isn't anywere in the set to really pull in that much time by swapping out songs because the songs in set 1 are already short.  So at this point, if I'm building a set list, I have to scrap the idea of including it.

As far as set 1, TROAE and Another One are great in the 1 and 3 spots.  The only issue is whether IWBY is good in the #2 spot.  Although it may not be a favorite of a lot of fans, it is a good live song and was as close to a "single" as the band had from that album at the time, so it kinda needed to be there.  That brings us to their choice from WDADU.  Afterlife is my least favorite song, so I wouldn't have minded changing it out.  Given that we still have that extra 5:36 to play with, we've got the ability to put in a longer song.  If I'm choosing from my favorites on the album, I go with TKH or OAMOT.  Problem is, TKH is still too long unless I pull more time from elsewhere in the set (which again is hard because the remaining songs aren't that long) and OAMOT has just been done on the last DVD.  So maybe AFIL, which actually gives me more time to play with.  so now I've probably got a good 5:40 of extra time.  On to I&W...I'm fine with UAGM.  Not my favorite song, but the set flowed well with it and it sounded great.  Awake...the performance of Innocence Faded was great, but I'm probably choosing a different song here if it's up to me.  We can pretty much take our pick given that we've got the extra time to play with.  Voices?  That'll work.  The Mirror or Lie?  Even better.  Scarred?  Okay, sure.  FII track...I wouldn't change a thing.  Great song, and it was awesome to get another rarity.  TSCO.  I'm burned out on it and wouldn't choose it if it's completely up to me.  But me being burned out on it aside, I still have to admit it's a really good song.  And given that it's a band and fan favorite, choosing it is completely defensible.

So to recap, the only changes I would make that I really feel would have been an improvement would be to pull TALW and to switch the WDADU and Awake tracks.  Even if people don't agree with my other choices, most would probably agree that those changes would strengthen the set as a whole.  But that is such a small amount of change given that we're looking at a 3 hours show that, again, I have to come back to the basic premise that I can't really find fault with the set as a whole.  

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2011, 10:56:11 PM »
This is very logical on how the set was formed like that. Again it's different tastes, it appears that most people like the set list which is an important aspect but one of many when assessing a music DVD.
But set list wise it's far from favorite for me, setting Budokhan aside; the 2nd and 3rd disc of LSFNY would have been a joy and I would be writing poetry about Score as you guys are doing.
So you see if you focus on set list and compare audio CDs, even without SFAM setlist. As a "amazing highlights of our career" show; that is what I would call amazing:
Metropolis Pt. 1
The Mirror
Just Let Me Breathe
Acid Rain
Caught in a New Millennium
Another Day
Erotomania
Voices
The Silent Man
Learning to Live
A Change of Seasons

Offline Silent Man

« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2011, 02:49:04 AM »

I scratch my 60yr old head. Hate it? What? I mean...this DVD contains literally all what DT stands for. Musicianship is (of course) excellent, the show is professionally recorded and filmed, the band is obviously up to one of their finest performances...what more do you want? Are you really a DT fan?

I'd understand if anyone would think it's not their favourite...but hate it?

If I try to think about music I hate, it would be something like Bon Jovi, George Michael (I really hate these guy's voices with PASSION) + a lot of mainstream that make me puke. IMO, there are two DVDs that stand out in my collection, and they are Score + Budokan. I bought Score first, and listened it over and over again. Marvellous. Fantastic. I just LOVE everything about it, I still play it today with great joy. The opening is perfect, slowly building up, then finally the band starts playing and I get goosebumps all over my body.

Of course, people have a right to have an opinion (I have mine)...but...are you a troll????

Poul

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2011, 03:42:29 AM »
You obviously are not looking for answers as much as you were giving a disciplinary lecture like when a kid does something wrong and the father goes "I've given you everything, what more do you want? do you even know what I've done for you?" kinda thing. But I'm gonna answer you anyhow :)

I scratch my 60yr old head. Hate it? What? I mean...this DVD contains literally all what DT stands for. Musicianship is (of course) excellent, the show is professionally recorded and filmed, the band is obviously up to one of their finest performances...what more do you want? Are you really a DT fan?
I'd understand if anyone would think it's not their favourite...but hate it?

Every DT DVD was has excellent musicianship as long as it's DT playing on the DVD & very DVD is professionally recorded and filmed. These are not things that are special about Score.
I say I hate it cause it counted as a DVD release. I could have done with it if it was Ytse official bootleg. But this counted as a DT's "next big DVD release" after LSFNY and Budokhan.
After Budokhan I had that DVD high standard of big number of factors, from things as important as the set list and quality of audio recording to things like the powerful vibe which consists of the band's visual performance and their reactions and physical expressions of the vibe that comes from their playing and the audience feedback.
We've discussed the vast superiority of Budokhan's audio mix and that stunning lighting system that fit not every song but every change of riff according to it's intensity and vibe.
Score did not deliver on most of the factors I mentioned above and when it did; it didn't even compare, in my opinion.

there are two DVDs that stand out in my collection, and they are Score + Budokan. I bought Score first, and listened it over and over again. Marvellous. Fantastic. I just LOVE everything about it, I still play it today with great joy. The opening is perfect, slowly building up, then finally the band starts playing and I get goosebumps all over my body.

I agree about the greatness of the intro, the final songs have the same chill of "epicness" in the making moments. You'll find in my post that you quote that I actually only go back to Score to see TRoAE, Octavarium and Metropolis. The beginning and the end.
Oh I'd listen to Score audio cds for live versions of song I otherwise wouldn't have live versions of, but that's all there is to it. it's a waste of an official highly anticipated DVD release.
Of course your ending line about opinions and rights clearly agrees with my saying that it's my opinion, people have different tastes, etc in previous posts but I can't fit how I'm a troll in that scheme.

Offline clinks63

« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2011, 06:00:59 AM »
I find JLB's performance to be one of his greatest in this dvd

that high note he hits in the chorus (i think its the chorus) in UAGM is amazing  :hefdaddy

+1..
Where's my welcome thread and 2012 DTF award for it:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=20154.0

"the third arrives..."

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2011, 06:43:48 AM »
I find JLB's performance to be one of his greatest in this dvd

that high note he hits in the chorus (i think its the chorus) in UAGM is amazing  :hefdaddy
Also, "trapped inside this Octavarium" and "BOUNDless energy". Oh and Innocence Faded. Hell, that performance was amazing on his side.