Author Topic: Score is amazing  (Read 4673 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
Score is amazing
« on: July 23, 2011, 05:13:13 PM »
Today I was driving to Raleigh and I thought I'd put on Score for a few songs. Ended up listening until I arrived. The songs all have so much passion and they sound incredible! The mix is killer.

Definitely their best live album.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
Re: Score is amazing
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 05:14:23 PM »
It's DT!  What would you have been expecting, mediocrity? 

Offline PS Head

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 05:28:01 PM »
I couldnt agree more...my favourite DT live album too.Disc 2 and 3 with the Octavarium Orchestra are fantastic and i have been watching a lot of it lately on utube......Sacrificed Sons,Octavarium and Metropolis are brilliant,but 6DoIT is off the radar.Waiting for the dvd to pop through the post from Amazon any day now. ;)

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 06:46:41 PM »
Amazing setlist, I mean SDOIT and Octavarium, that's a dose of DT epicness. The vibe is fantastic because of the celibration, and JLB is on top on his game and having fun. Even the expected lowpoint 'I Walk Beside You' comes across so well on the DVD, it actually fires up the expectations. Definately the best DT DVD musically and performance wise (they couldn't have done it any better). If the Budokan performance was just a tad better then Budokan would win - the look of it is just outstanding.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 07:00:45 PM »
I pretend to think Score was the last DVD DT has put out  :D I really hope a future DVD from the new DT lives up to the incredible quality and standard of Budokan and Score.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 09:34:44 PM »
Put the performance of Score with the filming style of Budokan = Perfection.

Offline composure77

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 10:17:03 PM »
I find JLB's performance to be one of his greatest in this dvd

that high note he hits in the chorus (i think its the chorus) in UAGM is amazing  :hefdaddy

Offline Ħ

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 11:24:37 PM »
The setlist is unique but not really that great, IMO.  But the performance and sound is better than any other live release I know of.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 11:31:18 PM »
It Definitely was their worst live DVD prior to Chaos in Motion DVD.
I hate Score with passion. Set list, audio mixing, stage direction, filming and even the band's visual performance.
I've only watched it in full once during which I couldn't help but distract myself with other things to prevent severe boredom. I only go back to it for Metropolis, Octavarium and TRoAE
Budokan I can't get enough of, the best.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 11:34:06 PM »
I hate Score with passion. Set list, audio mixing, stage direction, filming and even the band's visual performance.
I've only watched it in full once during which I couldn't help but distract myself with other things to prevent severe boredom. I only go back to it for Metropolis, Octavarium and TRoAE
wat
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 11:45:28 PM »
Metty what's wrong with band visual performance on Score? I know that JP has a weird hair in it, but c'mon...  ;D

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 12:00:56 AM »
I know that JP has a weird hair in it, but c'mon...  ;D

:D you wanna talk JP? I didn't even notice the horrific hair until you mentioned it, I was super distracted by the biceps which were almost more impressive than the playing. You really cannot help but feel the biceps were a show on their own, considering the show was of a musical nature :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 02:39:58 AM »
Picture quality on the dvd is grainy and poor- can't fault the setlist or the performances but I prefer Budokan. And Live scenes (apart from the epilepsy-inducing effects- and the live action finale where The Miracle shoots The Sleeper in the stomach and everyone believes his story that it was suicide. Who kills themselves by shooting themselves in the stomach? I know it was pre CSI but come on!)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 03:04:48 AM »

Yeah, I can't really relate with this either. I have to be seriously inebriated to get through Budokan. For Score, I can pop it in any time!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 03:11:00 AM »
There's a saying in Egypt that goes "If it wasn't for different tastes; a lot of products would have gone bad" :)

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2011, 04:41:12 AM »
I do love Score, but the audio mix isn't nearly as good as Budokan's; for example, the first minute or so of TRoAE (up until the band kick in) sounds like an audience recorded bootleg. The rest of the show doesn't sound big enough for me.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2011, 05:13:19 AM »
I agree that the audio and video quality of Budokan is better, and the setlist is up to individual tastes, of course.  But the band's performance and energy is much better on Score than Budokan, and the audio mixing is fine.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2011, 05:25:16 AM »
Love score. The only issue I have is the setlist. Honestly think that so many more songs would sound great with the orchestra... and 6doit takes up so much space during the second set..
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2011, 05:55:18 AM »
I love Score! Fantastic setlist and performance!

Offline Guitalguy

• Blackness awakens Visions come alive
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2011, 06:32:46 AM »
I love Score, and I put on the DVD all the time just to listen, and have it in the background. Love the whole setting with Six Degrees and Octavarium with the orchestra, though the orchestra isn't as good as on the albums, which I'd say DT was, and almost always is.

I can't find a single mistake in this show, even James is close to perfect on this one. Really shows that he recovered from the accident. His Budokan performance was also really good, from the year before.

Offline Loser1

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2011, 06:46:36 AM »
Who kills themselves by shooting themselves in the stomach? I know it was pre CSI but come on!)

Strangely enough I knew a guy who did just that. Shotgun to the stomach, he bled out in minutes.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2011, 08:27:21 AM »
I love Score. It was the firstlive DT I got, and the only fault I find with it is Vacant. This isn't an "I hate Vacant" thing, it's one of my favourites, I just think it's so much better as Bass+Keys. The Score version of Six Degrees is amazing, I just love the seven minutes of Orchestra doing their thing and then the band coming in. To me, that is genius, the way they do that.
Who kills themselves by shooting themselves in the stomach? I know it was pre CSI but come on!)

Strangely enough I knew a guy who did just that. Shotgun to the stomach, he bled out in minutes.

Also: Van Gogh did, I seem to remember.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2011, 08:51:35 AM »
I agree, though I really think it's time for another "Score" kind of thing. A single, killer performance featuring DT in top form and lots of hidden gems in the setlist. The band only got better since 2006 as far as I see it.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »
Score is my favorite DVD. Better than Budokan IMO. Setlist is quite good but not perfect(imagine Voices or Scarred instead of Innocence Faded).
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline robwebster

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2011, 11:22:30 AM »
Love score. The only issue I have is the setlist. Honestly think that so many more songs would sound great with the orchestra... and 6doit takes up so much space during the second set..
Yeah, I'm not a massive fan of the setlist. A lot of mediocre songs in there. Given the other songs that were on the master setlist, kind of disappointing that they opted for Afterlife instead of A Fortune in Lies, Innocence Faded over Caught in a Web (which was scheduled for Live at Budokan, making it even more baffling)... Raise the Knife is good, but Fatal Tragedy would've been a lot better than The Spirit Carries On.

Six Degrees with an orchestra is good, but cumbersome after they'd done half of it on the previous album anyway. Vacant sounds a little odd with the orchestra in places anyway, but they then failed to follow it up with a rousing Stream of Consciousness.

Score's absolutely great, and I'm glad we have it, but I can't help but wonder what could have been. Live at Budokan is the weaker performance, but it's stronger both visually and, oddly, as a reflection on DT as a band... with Score, they were making a very deliberate effort to include a lot of the songs they'd never included on DVDs before, and it's a bit of a shame that you get a sense that their 20th Anniversary performance isn't so much "the best of the best" as "the best of the rest."

But don't get me wrong. It is, nonetheless, amazing.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2011, 02:54:27 PM »
I love Score. It was the firstlive DT I got, and the only fault I find with it is Vacant. This isn't an "I hate Vacant" thing, it's one of my favourites, I just think it's so much better as Bass+Keys. The Score version of Six Degrees is amazing, I just love the seven minutes of Orchestra doing their thing and then the band coming in. To me, that is genius, the way they do that.

Also: Van Gogh did, I seem to remember.

They must have been really bad shots- or masochists. Or they did it by accident.

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2011, 03:19:53 PM »
I agree on the setlist thing. I love Afterlife and Under A Glass Moon, although if they wanted to blow more people's heads off they could've played Learning to Live  ;) Innocence Faded is a great song, but there's so many other songs from Awake to play, I'd say Scarred would've been the best. Raise the Knife was very good indeed and while I say it's great I must say that Lines in the Sand or Trial of Tears would've been equally good. The Spirit Carries On was great. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence was their great mistake on the DVD. Don't get me wrong, they played it amazingly great. The thing is they could've played other songs. Picture them playing A Change of Seasons and Vacant + Stream of Consciousness and Blind Faith instead of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. That would've been perfect. Other than that, they did great  :)

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2011, 03:23:54 PM »
@OP, I agree.

:metal

Offline jag66

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2011, 03:24:45 PM »
The versions of Six Degrees and Octavarium are sweeeet.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2011, 05:20:58 PM »
Everything about Score is awesome except for Innocence Faded. They should have just switched it with Learning To Live cause Awake sucks. And the live versions of Six Degrees, Octavarium and Metropolis are unbelievably good, they give me chills each time. And Raise The Knife and Another Won quickly became songs that are definitely in my top 15 after watching this DVD. Amazing.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2011, 12:24:35 AM »
Scarred... yummy

Vacant + Stream of C. Delicious

And they should have played an abridged version of 6doit and then put a song in from the first disc
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline tartarus250

• peace love and good happyness stuff
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2011, 05:42:32 AM »
ive not got the video but i have the soundtrack and every time i hear it i nearly go blind from over exposure to pure awsomeness!!!
The creation and destruction of harmonic and 'statistical' tensions is essential to the maintenance of compositional drama. Any composition (or improvisation) which remains consonant and 'regular' throughout is, for me, equivalent to watching a movie with only 'good guys' in it, or eating cottage cheese.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2011, 09:22:42 AM »
I do love Score, but the audio mix isn't nearly as good as Budokan's; for example, the first minute or so of TRoAE (up until the band kick in) sounds like an audience recorded bootleg. The rest of the show doesn't sound big enough for me.

Budokan is great no doubt, but the better production doesn't make up for the slightly less than stellar band performance.  Overall, Score is clearly better.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Metropolis Pt. II

• DT.net Member
  • Let's roll!
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2011, 10:53:52 AM »
I recently purchased the Score CD set (I've had the DVD since its release), and I was wondering if there was any autotuning that was added to JLB's performance. Because he is phenomenally outstanding with his vocals here, but it almost seems too good to be true. I've read that he may have overdubbed a few spots here and there, but that it was largely untouched. Does anyone know for sure? Just wondering.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »
This question always comes up and I always jump in to say, I was there and yes it really did sound like that live.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?