Author Topic: Does it annoy you when Musician's get tagged in pics on Facebook...  (Read 2268 times)

Offline The Letter M

...and the picture doesn't even HAVE them in it?!

I see this all the time, and it's becoming a kind of FB spam - Why do people insist on putting up a picture of themselves or someone else and tag their Musician friends? Example - I just saw some guy post a picture of himself (I assume) using Pro Tools on a computer, and he tagged Roine Stolt, and there was nothing in the picture to indicate that Roine was there, nor was it his music. People do this ALL THE TIME with Jordan Rudess, and other DT members on Facebook.

It's just a way of spamming your newsfeed if you keep them (the musicians you've friended on FB) on there. Unfortunately, FB doesn't allow you to block tagged posts, just ALL posts by a friend. Lately, I have been opening the pictures and reporting them as spam, because in my eyes, it's just that. Why bother tagging Roine or Jordan or Mike Portnoy or anyone that isn't IN the picture, or even remotely related to it, if they aren't in it? I'm not going to post a picture of my drums and tag every drummer I know. It would just get annoying for everyone else.

If this annoys you, I suggest opening the pics and reporting them as spam. It just annoys me to look at my news feed and see "posts" from the 30-some musicians I'm friends with on FB and they have no relevance to them whatsoever - I *DO* enjoy seeing pics of them in concert or from meet-and-greets, or if it's artwork related to them, but otherwise it's pointless and spammy. I mean, would you let your friends tag you in a picture that has CDs in it, just because they know you like music? And then all your friends see this random picture of "you" on their newsfeed and go "WTF?" because you're not even in it, and they don't know the person who tagged you.

/rant

I'm done... :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Does it annoy you when Musician's get tagged in pics on Facebook...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 12:02:13 PM »
Yes.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline The Letter M

ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 04:17:51 PM »
No. 

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 04:18:43 PM »
Possibly

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 07:13:04 AM »
I think the musicians have more reason to be annoyed than we do.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 07:19:52 AM »
Hasn't really occurred with me yet.

This, too.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 08:45:09 AM »
I'm friends with Kristofer Gildenlöw, and he himself adressed this a while ago. His status said something like "Why do people insist on tagging me in all kinds of weird pictures? Please stop."

It would bug the hell out of me. There should be some kind of option that a user must verify the tagged photo.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 08:47:41 AM »
Tagging of people in photos without their permission irks me anyway. They should ask the person who is being tagged.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 12:08:33 PM »
The tagged person always has the option of removing the tag, and once that's done, they cannot be "retagged" again in the same picture.  Yeah, it's a little ass-backwards, but the assumption is that if someone is a Friend, then they'll be cool about tagging you in pictures.  If you don't want them doing it, don't have them as Friends.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 12:36:27 PM »
James LaBrie seems to get the most "fake tags", and usually to support some project they are doing.

Yes, it bothers me and I think it casts the original person in a bad light.  Probably because I just assume they are idiots.

The tagged person always has the option of removing the tag, and once that's done, they cannot be "retagged" again in the same picture.

Actually, you can be re-tagged, just not by the same person.  I untagged myself from an old childhood photo one of my cousin's posted, and I untagged myself because the comments could easily be taken out of context if you didn't know my family (wouldn't want a prospective employer to read it), and was retagged by another cousin.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2011, 02:54:16 PM »
I honestly think it's really tasteless to take such liberties with the online profile of a man you don't know, and who only accepted you, presumably, because he wanted to be a nice man.

Among the worst ones, I think, are the ones who just upload old promo pictures of James LaBrie, because although it's not malicious, it's not only a tad intrusive but also slightly creepy. It's like "yeah, I just uploaded a picture of you for all my friends to look at. Now I'm going to show you. Hello sweetie." The lack of any sort of social awareness is completely woeful. So yeah, does annoy me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2011, 03:08:13 PM »
The tagged person always has the option of removing the tag, and once that's done, they cannot be "retagged" again in the same picture.  Yeah, it's a little ass-backwards, but the assumption is that if someone is a Friend, then they'll be cool about tagging you in pictures.  If you don't want them doing it, don't have them as Friends.

True, but sometimes you'll have had a pic taken when out somewhere (since some annoying person is always wanting to take pictures of everything), and they might tag you in an embarrassing pic for everyone to see on their news feed.  Sure, you can untag yourself, but not everyone lives on FB (just like not everyone lives on their cell).  I had a friend who was annoyed with another friend because they were tagged in a pic for days before they saw it, and it was a picture they didn't want everyone seeing. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 11:58:04 PM »
I wish musicians/actors/artists/famous-people-with-profiles had the option of turning off Tagging, or at least, allow it to be approved first.

-Marc.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2011, 12:15:13 AM »
Oh man, this annoys me SO MUCH. I see it all the time where some idiot will tag a musician just to advertise whatever they're doing that's unrelated.

People do this ALL THE TIME with Jordan Rudess, and other DT members on Facebook.

Yep, this is the main one I see it with. Probably because he's nice enough to accept pretty much all friend requests, and people are trying to take advantage of that.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2011, 12:26:57 AM »
Um, I don't see why this has got everyone in such a knot.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2011, 10:11:36 AM »
Um, I don't see why this has got everyone in such a knot.

Unless I'm missing a pun or subtle joke, I'll go ahead and answer. It's just dickish at the very least and flat-out wrong at its worst since the assholes doing this shit are wasting people's time all just to lure them into looking at something they'd have otherwise never bothered looking at.

For instance, you're driving around and hungry and think, "Shit, time to hit a drive-thru." You go there and suddenly it's not even a food-serving establishment but a metal siding company or a shoe store. It's just really immature for people who have such little confidence in their ability to gain exposure that they'd resort to blatant lying and wasting of others' time just to feel(may I add in the most delusional of ways) more important.

What makes this even more unruly than email spam is that it costs absolutely nothing to tag a pic whereas these email spamming companies usually have some out-of-pocket expense tied to things like purchasing domain names and hosting fees, etc.

In the end we just need to ask ourselves this question: "What good does it do to lie to people and get them annoyed in the process if it's these same people that you're hoping to get positive reactions from?"(like friending, continued interest in your FB page, etc.)
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon