Author Topic: DT's response to Mike's addictions?  (Read 21896 times)

Offline rmp0012002

Re: DT's response to Mike's addictions?
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2011, 01:51:38 PM »
I never heard about Mikes drug use But he had talked about how he drank before, during and after shows.  I think if it came down to affecting his performance then the others would have really come down on him.  I could see how alcohol on top of his ego could be straining on the others.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2011, 01:56:16 PM »
I bet KM have smoked a joint or two.

and I'm sure Derek partys once and a while
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2011, 02:06:07 PM »
I bet KM have smoked a joint or two.

Same I was thinking. I don't know why, but he seemed the most likely to be into it, along with Portnoy.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2011, 02:14:55 PM »
As people have brought up before, JR was a marijuana smoker, and it sounds like it was a real low point in his life. I don't think he does it anymore. To be honest, I have a feeling none of them do anymore. No doubt though in my mind, all of them have at least at one point-smoked a joint.

They don't strike me as drinkers either. JLB has said in the past how he likes the occasional glass of wine
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline olliemedsy

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2011, 02:31:23 PM »
to be fair, i could very well picture JLB getting quite hammered down the pub  :P

Offline John94

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2011, 02:34:50 PM »
As people have brought up before, JR was a marijuana smoker, and it sounds like it was a real low point in his life. I don't think he does it anymore. To be honest, I have a feeling none of them do anymore. No doubt though in my mind, all of them have at least at one point-smoked a joint.

They don't strike me as drinkers either. JLB has said in the past how he likes the occasional glass of wine

Rare vintage?

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2011, 02:47:41 PM »
As people have brought up before, JR was a marijuana smoker, and it sounds like it was a real low point in his life.

He was talking about jamming for hours on the radio and everyone loving it?

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2011, 02:48:04 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbANjz2Ai_8 MP smoking in background while behind the kit.

Alot of good music wouldn't have existed without drugs.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 03:44:08 PM by MetropolisxPt1 »

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2011, 01:10:05 AM »
I really don't give a damn if ANYONE smokes/smoked marijuana. On the other hand, the thinks like alcohol (in large quanitites), cocaine, even cigarettes, they bother me.

Offline i am fabio

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2011, 01:34:10 AM »
I really don't give a damn if ANYONE smokes/smoked marijuana. On the other hand, the thinks like alcohol (in large quanitites), cocaine, even cigarettes, they bother me.

Spoken like a true stoner lol

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2011, 01:51:05 PM »

I'm not. I'm just not a blind politician and know that there's practically no negative health effects in small amounts, even in larger amounts it pales in comparison to other drugs.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2011, 02:46:31 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbANjz2Ai_8 MP smoking in background while behind the kit.

Of course you can never know for sure. Maybe the song would have been even better with a clear head.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2011, 02:54:41 PM »
i can't see the video now, but unless he's taking bong hits behind the kit, how do you know it's not just a cigarette?
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline Schleppy

« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2011, 03:28:08 PM »

Of course you can never know for sure. Maybe the song would have been even better with a clear head.

The general perception is that drugs are good for songwriting but not so much for actually playing the music. The former is why a lot of people are surprised when they hear about Frank Zappa's sobriety policy for the Mothers, and the latter is why it makes perfect sense.

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2011, 08:31:48 PM »

The general perception is that drugs are good for songwriting but not so much for actually playing the music. The former is why a lot of people are surprised when they hear about Frank Zappa's sobriety policy for the Mothers, and the latter is why it makes perfect sense.
Not necessarily jazz and drug use go hand and hand and pot doesnt necessarily effect their playing ability, most people who use then play music will be more attentive to their instrument and the music they are playing.

Manhattan Psychologist Charles Winick interviewed 357 jazz musicians on the habits of some 2,000 fellow performers.

In Social Problems, Winick reports that 82% of the jazzmen tried marijuana at least once, 54% were occasional users and 23% were "regulars." Some 53% had tried heroin, 24% took it occasionally and 16% used it regularly.
In Social Problems, Winick reports that 82% of the jazzmen tried marijuana at least once, 54% were occasional users and 23% were "regulars." Some 53% had tried heroin, 24% took it occasionally and 16% used it regularly.

I play drumset and Saxophone and have always felt more into music and the playing of music.

https://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,826388,00.html

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2011, 06:58:33 AM »
Wow. I'm surprised to find out Mike did cocaine. I never thought any of the guys would go beyond having some drinks or smoking some pot.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2011, 08:55:39 AM »
I don't think JLB has ever smoked pot. He has said he's never smoked in his life (on the forum) and I think it would include marijuana, probably for vocal chord reasons. A singer like James (even pre-rupture) needs to keep them as mint as possible.
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2011, 10:26:43 AM »
I don't think JLB has ever smoked pot. He has said he's never smoked in his life (on the forum) and I think it would include marijuana, probably for vocal chord reasons. A singer like James (even pre-rupture) needs to keep them as mint as possible.
That's true, but a lot more singers than you think smoke cigarettes. And smoking pot or cigarettes when you're younger and then quitting even as late as your 40s can have little to no effect on your range. Granted Geoff Tate's voice is about shot from smoking, but Geddy Lee used to smoke like crazy. And even though he was in his late 30s when he quit, he has actually hasn't lost much at all, save for some of those lines that a 58 year old man probably wont hit anymore anyways. Though I agree that I doubt James has smoked cigarettes to any real capacity, some of those interviews from the 90's make me think LAWLSTONEDJAMES. "Bear Tracks? Spyro Gyra?

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2011, 10:30:57 AM »
Though I agree that I doubt James has smoked cigarettes to any real capacity, some of those interviews from the 90's make me think LAWLSTONEDJAMES. "Bear Tracks? Spyro Gyra?

I swear I though the same thing  :lol 

Then I learned of how naturally confused James can be at times, and I lol'd even more  :rollin
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2011, 11:06:34 AM »
Not sure if it was mentioned, but he also talked about in the book how he went from drinking after shows, to drinking before shows, to drinking during shows. In addition to the coke, he was taking shots of jager during instrumental breaks without drums.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2011, 11:08:32 AM »
Did MP ever have problems with cheating? I feel like he talks about it in some DT songs. Could just be my horrible memory working.

Home is a whole song about cheating.

But Victoria is the cheater.

Offline Jalis

• ... I play bass... 4-string bass...
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2011, 05:22:06 AM »

OMG OMG... I played on that stage for like 10 times the last 5 years...  :omg: :omg: :omg:
But hey, damn cool !
I almost play like JMX

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2011, 01:21:04 PM »

OMG OMG... I played on that stage for like 10 times the last 5 years...  :omg: :omg: :omg:
But hey, damn cool !
Did you find any of KM's hair follicles?

Offline Jalis

« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2011, 04:04:12 AM »
I found a very strange pillow, backstage, made - so i've been told - ​​out of hair from a keyboard player... 
I almost play like JMX

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2011, 10:36:28 PM »
Wow. I knew Mike smoked weed, but wasn't aware of the cocaine...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2011, 11:20:08 PM »

I'm not. I'm just not a blind politician and know that there's practically no negative health effects in small amounts, even in larger amounts it pales in comparison to other drugs.

I feel the exact same way.  I find it odd that the band didn't flip out about the cocaine use.  That is pretty shocking to me, but maybe the band was younger and in a different mind set than we view them today. 

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2011, 12:11:29 AM »
James and JP both said that they didn't know about the cocaine use.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2011, 12:26:19 AM »

How could they miss it though?

Offline Jalis

« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2011, 01:58:31 AM »

How could they miss it though?

with each member having their own rehearsal rooms before each show, its hard to not miss it....
I almost play like JMX

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2011, 08:23:36 AM »
I could also imagine they went out of their way not to see it.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2011, 10:02:10 AM »
But if he did it on stage, it would just be almost impossible not to see it. Somebody in the management or backstage would have saw it and no doubt talked about it.

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2011, 12:19:42 PM »
I think one of the managers states he saw it, but it wasn't that bad, it was more about the drinking since the coke wasn't an all the time thing.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2011, 12:20:38 PM »
Coke at anytime is bad.  :lol

Offline Banny

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2011, 05:51:16 AM »
"Oh don't worry, heroine is just one of those 'after encore' things!"  :rollin

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member