Author Topic: DT's response to Mike's addictions?  (Read 21894 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
DT's response to Mike's addictions?
« on: July 23, 2011, 11:41:43 AM »
Since DT have never really struck me as a big party band, this question has come up in my mind from time to time: does anyone know if the members in DT actually confronted Mike about his drinking/drug use? Mike said in an interview awhile back that he'd be drinking mid-set, running lines of Cocaine behind the drum kit and so on, and yet the other guys in Dream Theater never really said anything to him about it? Wouldn't it have made them all uncomfortable-- unless of course they're all into that stuff too, or at least a little bit, but not "addicts?" Or maybe they did, but it's a matter that all parties wanted to keep completely private?

I'm curious, because a friend from back in the states is going through something similar now with a bandmate of his.

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
Re: DT's response to Mike's addictions?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 12:20:26 PM »
They all drank occasionally and I think a few of them used to smoke pot, but that's about it. In Lifting Shadows they all admit to knowing he was drinking, but the coke and pill popping  was something they weren't as aware of. They knew he was acting strange but never saw it.

Offline John94

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 12:26:30 PM »
It must be a touch subject so I'm sure the band discussed it and decided not to publicly confirm they ever had such discussions. After all, they were friends and I'm sure you'd have a word with your friends if they were going a bit too far.

Speaking of Lifting Shadows, I still need to pick that up, even though I can't find it anywhere.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 12:29:21 PM »
Could you explain the thing a little better for those who don't own Lifting Shadows? I knew he had more than some problem with alchool, but I never knew he did drugs. Actually, the real extent of his addiction problem has always been a cloudy mistery to me.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 12:37:48 PM »
I thought he was just a stoner.  I recall reading somewhere that it had finally become enough of a problem when he was partying with fans out in the parking lot after shows, and decided that wasn't the image he wanted to project.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Mladen

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 12:50:08 PM »
In an interview from late September last year, James stated that seeing Mike going through all the bad stuff helped him singing songs from The Twelve steps suite. Since he was aware of it, I think the rest of the guys obviously were aware of it as well. Of course they knew, they were on tours with the guy.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 12:53:59 PM »
Could you explain the thing a little better for those who don't own Lifting Shadows? I knew he had more than some problem with alchool, but I never knew he did drugs. Actually, the real extent of his addiction problem has always been a cloudy mistery to me.
Jose used to prepare lines of coke for him behind the drumkit, and... besides that, I don't have the book to hand right now so I can't be more specific. I was surprised by how deep it went, though, yeah. I thought he was just a boozehound, didn't realise there was so much addiction going on.

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 01:26:58 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F7CtuoMnpc

Their are also more interviews where he elaborates more i will search.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 01:28:01 PM »
i remember in lifting shadows that JP would go to the hotel room and empty the minibar, so that mike wouldnt be tempted. but not sure about when MP was on all the stuff

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 02:58:31 PM »
I just can't see any of the other guys in the band going out and having anymore than 4-5 drinks. Just doesn't seem right.  :-\

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 03:01:26 PM »
i remember in lifting shadows that JP would go to the hotel room and empty the minibar, so that mike wouldnt be tempted. but not sure about when MP was on all the stuff
I recall on the riding the TOT mike said that the band agreed not to have any alcohol with them while they toured so mike wouldn't drink.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 03:18:04 PM »
I just can't see any of the other guys in the band going out and having anymore than 4-5 drinks. Just doesn't seem right.  :-\
It could, however, explain why JP was so terrified during the events TCOT is based on.

Offline Vajra

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 03:34:49 PM »
It could, however, explain why JP was so terrified during the events TCOT is based on.
"Now wait a minute man.... you must be drunk."

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 03:43:17 PM »
"Now wait a minute man.... you must be drunk."
Well, maybe he drank all the finest wines. That improve with age.

Offline Lionheart1827

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 04:49:55 PM »

Yeah with the post above about the lines of coke behind the kit was in lifting shadows.

Also MP had said that as he was getting sober, on tour he would never ever go outside of his hotel room other than going to a movie. He said he'd hole up in his room all the time and watch movies constantly to get him off the habit.

But yeah, it seemed they knew about his drinking but anything else he did a good job of keeping it from them. They knew something was up however.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 04:55:50 PM by Lionheart1827 »

Kosmo

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2011, 05:05:57 PM »
I never knew that Mike used drugs.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2011, 05:17:07 PM »
Did MP ever have problems with cheating? I feel like he talks about it in some DT songs. Could just be my horrible memory working.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2011, 05:18:53 PM »
Did MP ever have problems with cheating? I feel like he talks about it in some DT songs. Could just be my horrible memory working.

I don't think any member of DT had cheating issues. 

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2011, 07:41:49 PM »

I seem to recall a comment about how he was drinking so much that he'd wake up the next day not knowing if he might have cheated the night before.

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2011, 02:38:03 PM »

"Dirty enough for me to lust..." perhaps gives a hint? I doubt he cheated properly though

Offline Aniland

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2011, 12:39:18 AM »
I had no idea that Mike Portnoy was using cocaine behind the drumset. This piece of information saddens me.

Offline Hayden

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2011, 02:15:29 AM »
I wasn't aware of Mike taking cocaine either. It sort of came as a shock to me to hear that.
I was equally as surprised to hear that some of them (might have) used to smoke pot. I doubt it would've been either John Petrucci or Myung; I just couldn't picture those guys getting involved in that sort of thing.

[...]the real extent of his addiction problem has always been a cloudy mistery to me.
Hah, nice one  ;D.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2011, 02:25:47 AM »
I doubt it would've been either John Petrucci or Myung; I just couldn't picture those guys getting involved in that sort of thing.

May I ask where you are from? Where I am from (Germany) and where I live (Northeast of US), smoking pot is really not a big deal.
Especially JP I could imagine having enjoyed the occasional joint. And JLB.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2011, 02:32:19 AM »
Especially JP I could imagine having enjoyed the occasional joint.

This. Dunno about LaBrie, but wouldn't be surprised if MM did at some earlier point in his career.

Wasn't aware the Portnoy cocaine thing was so unknown on DTF. He talks about in on the 5YIALT commentary quite a bit.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2011, 02:54:19 AM »
I was equally as surprised to hear that some of them (might have) used to smoke pot. I doubt it would've been either John Petrucci or Myung; I just couldn't picture those guys getting involved in that sort of thing.
Think it was Jordan. Again, vaguely remembered from a book that I read about a year ago, so don't quote me on this, but I'm 80-85% sure that was the case.

Offline Hayden

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2011, 02:58:28 AM »
May I ask where you are from? Where I am from (Germany) and where I live (Northeast of US), smoking pot is really not a big deal.
Especially JP I could imagine having enjoyed the occasional joint. And JLB.
I'm from Western Australia, and no, it's not really a big deal here either. I know quite a few people who do/have smoke(d) pot, some of them being close relatives. But it's just that from JP's lifestyle ( from what I've perceived), and given his faith (which he has expressed/revealed in the past), I've just never viewed him as the sort of guy who would get involved with [mild] drugs of any kind.

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2011, 07:24:55 AM »
Think it was Jordan. Again, vaguely remembered from a book that I read about a year ago, so don't quote me on this, but I'm 80-85% sure that was the case.

Jordan mentions in lifting shadows that him and his friends would get high and jam out for hours. And I don't know how anyone could be surprised or upset that any of them my have/might smoke pot or drink. They all have stable enough lives, and are very productive. Obviously, Mike is different because he had a terrible addiction that effected everything, but considering  the rest of them don't seem to have that problem, moderate drinking or smoking pot isn't that big of a deal.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2011, 07:31:04 AM »

Home is a whole song about cheating.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2011, 07:58:07 AM »

"Dirty enough for me to lust..." perhaps gives a hint? I doubt he cheated properly though
I think the lyrics mean that he has let his addictions control his life to the point where that could happen. Doesn't necessarily mean he has. Also lust and cheating are two very different things. 

Also ReaPsTA, Home is from a concept album so I doubt it's about their personal lives in any way.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2011, 09:36:39 AM »

Home is a whole song about cheating.
Doesn't it represent lust in the story?

Offline adameastment

« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2011, 12:44:51 PM »

You never played them at Chess...

Offline robwebster

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2011, 12:56:33 PM »

You never played them at Chess...
This. James eats the horseys when you're not looking. And the prawns.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2011, 01:21:16 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised or ashamed to find out that JP / JM / JLB smoked when they were younger... Same with MM. I remember for sure an interview somewhere where Jordan talks about being high and music.... I think he mentioned LSD once... idk. and I dont care.

Portnoy's addiction... Him cleaning up is the reason he is / was one of my biggest role models. I was scared to death that him touring with A7X would cause him to lapse
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TL

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2011, 01:23:58 PM »
I do remember being a bit shocked when I first found out about MP's drug use. I knew he was a recovered alcoholic at that point, but I just never really pictured regular hard drug use in a band like DT.

Pot is fine. I mean, it's pot. I almost consider it more casual than mild drinking.
Hell, while I wouldn't use it myself, I don't really mind people using LSD occasionally either.

Offline Lotion

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2011, 01:41:29 PM »
I bet KM have smoked a joint or two.