Author Topic: Which comes first, the music or lyrics?  (Read 2051 times)

Offline jmplayer

Which comes first, the music or lyrics?
« on: July 23, 2011, 12:41:54 AM »
For me, it's music.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Which comes first, the music or lyrics?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 02:31:22 AM »
Definitely music. I struggle a lot with lyrics, while the music comes much more easier and natural.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 03:00:07 AM »
Music for me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 06:17:58 AM »

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 07:28:18 AM »
Sometimes it's music. Sometimes it's lyrics. Most of the time  though, I have an idea of a feeling or mood I want to capture so I'll write both almost simultaneously with the music coming slightly before the lyrics/lyrical ideas.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 04:37:39 PM »
Music, I can't seem to develop any talent for writing lyrics. Most of the songs I've written have no lyrical content, few have some from me and some from my buddy who writes lyrics (among other things).

Offline Ħ

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 11:21:29 PM »
If I were to write, I'd write lyrics and music side by side....so I'd write a few lyrics, and then write accompanying music.  I like it when the music and lyrics play off each other.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 11:48:58 PM »
Definitly music, but I love when music is connected with lyrics, you know. Sad lyrics - sad song, word "scream" - some screaming - guitar sound. For example ;)

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 01:03:03 AM »
Poetry and music are two individual art forms and should both be respected equally as such.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 12:51:52 PM »
In my opinion, it really depends. You could write some lyrics, and depending on what it's about it could heavily influence the music that goes along with it. Same goes for the other way around. Although, I usually start with the music, but that's just because I never write any lyrics (I'm a "stereotypical" drummer).
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 02:42:53 PM »
Um, similarly, when writing music, do you guys prefer starting with a chord progression, or do you start with melodies?

Offline jsem

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 04:14:19 PM »
Um, similarly, when writing music, do you guys prefer starting with a chord progression, or do you start with melodies?
Probably needs a separate thread. I always do music first though.

To the OP: Always music first. I'm not much of a lyricist myself either, I suck at it.

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 09:50:53 PM »

I generally just jam and refine.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 10:34:24 AM »
Music: I'm not good at poetic use of language. I come up with utter drivel half the time.

When it comes to the music, it depends. If I'm at the keyboard, it tends to be chord sequences, if it's on the bass, it's usually a riff. If I'm jamming with a friend of mine, it's always riffs, because for that, I'm on the bass pretty much exclusively.

That said, I do have a habit of putting in some quite chordy riffs, as I just tend to play like that if left with a bass and some time.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 12:57:38 AM »
I write music and lyrics but never are able to put them together. The problem: I find it impossible to come up with a singing melody that doesn't go exactly -or very close- with the music, if I have the music ready I can't make the lyrics fit without facing that problem and obviously if I have lyrics ready I can't make music especially to fit it. Real shitty problem.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 08:17:15 PM »
Music and chord progression > lyrics and Melody

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 11:08:34 PM »
Music. And melody. If it doesn't have melody it isn't that good. I find it sad that people don't rank Tuscany high because of it's lyrics, surely the incredible music makes up for the lyrics. Which you can barely understand in the first place.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2011, 10:06:21 AM »
Music. And melody. If it doesn't have melody it isn't that good. I find it sad that people don't rank Tuscany high because of it's lyrics, surely the incredible music makes up for the lyrics. Which you can barely understand in the first place.

Actually I heard 99% of TCOT clearly the first time through. The Later DT albums are easier to understand IMO.

Ontopic, most of the music I'm writing right now is based on various lyrics, so the music is meant to tell the story or convey an emotion. Despite that, I consider them equal. I like songs to have very poetic lyrics (although it doesn't bring the song down for me if the lyrics aren't that good -- TCOT for a great example, the music is excellent) alongside having excellent, engaging, emotional melody and chord progressions.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 01:51:38 AM »
Because I'm just a singer primarily, (I attempt to play drums as best as I can for my lass's band)  I tend to write lyrics first, and let my friend handle the music aspect while I describe what I hear when I'd be singing.

Offline DejaVu

• "Don't be frightened of the shadows it creates"
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2011, 03:45:34 AM »
When writing more complex, longer and progressive songs, music should definately come first. Writing lyrics initially and trying to direct the band to what they sound like is an extremely hard task, so what we normally do now is think of a concept/back-story/theme, start jamming ideas out, then construct the song bar by bar instrumentally.

For shorter ballad-style songs, I normally write the lyrics down first though, it works easier like that.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2011, 10:16:11 AM »
Depends on the thing we're writing. Most of the time the music comes first, but also in a lot of cases, we write lyrics first and try to fit the music around them.

I don't have any clear cut answer on this one, both are equal really.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline aparadoxindeed

• Guitarist, Songwriter, All-Around Music Nerd
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 03:30:44 PM »
Definitely music first!  I always feel like it's better to set the mood (backdrop) first, and then fill in the specifics with the lyrics.  Any way that works is good though, of course!