Author Topic: 2011-10-11 - Mayo Performing Arts Center - Morristown, NJ  (Read 20533 times)

Offline composure77

Re: 2011-10-11 - Mayo Performing Arts Center - Morristown, NJ
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2011, 10:37:34 PM »
which setlist did you get?

Offline air_putih

« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2011, 10:51:52 PM »
Setlist guys ???

Offline DT2003

« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2011, 11:24:35 PM »
I thought the show was great and the band was incredible.  Man, Mike looks like he's having the time of his life up there.  I have to say I thought the venue was horrible.  I had 7th row seats (center sage) and i could barely see, cuz the floor is flat so basically you have to look in between people to see.  The sound was fine but I will NEVER see another show there.

Offline Major Thirteenth

• He has his father's eyes... Gomez, take those out of his mouth.
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2011, 12:22:24 AM »
We got the PMU set list. An effing unbelievable show. The production is on a new level, with the new lights and the cubes that everyone has talked about. The opening cartoon with the theme from Inception raised the energy level instantly and it was non-stop through the end of the show. Trivium's not my thing but they worked hard and get props for warming us up. I met their singer backstage and told him he's a dead ringer for Joseph Gordon-Levitt. John P asked who JGL was and their singer started reeling off his resume - Inception, 500 Days of Summer, 3rd Rock, etc. He then told us that he used music from 500 Days in his wedding. Cool. Real nice kid. And he can play too.

We all know that Dream Theater has defined the term "tight" in the past. But they bring new meaning to the term with this show. They were all absolutely locked in and loaded. Everyone performed at the all-star level. I cannot say enough about Mike Mangini. I expected him to be good and all but the guy is just a Force of Nature. I also met him at the aftershow. I was on line with my nephew and two of his friends and we are standing there and he's talking to two reporters. We're standing just off to the side but he saw my nephew smiling at his conversation with the reporters so he just turned to them and smiled and brought them right into the conversation explaining his absolute happiness at being in Dream Theater and how it all played out. "Down to Earth" does not describe him adequately. He is just so infectiously happy that he is a pleasure to talk to and you just know that he is an immensely positive force in the band and just an all around good guy. I'm totally sold and this guy is the right drummer for this band. Nothing against Mike P., we still love him and wish him well, but this guy is a better fit, both from the standpoint of being a brilliant cream of the crop musician, but also his attitude, enthusiasm, and the other intangibles that make someone a joy to be around. Basically you talk to Mike Mangini for 2 minutes, and you are going to leave with a smile on your face.

I spoke to James backstage for a minute and immediately asked him was where he parked the forklift. He is similar to Mike Mangini with his sense of humor and great attitude.

The crowd was very into the show. And all the way through. I've been going to DT shows for over 20 years and sometimes there is a little bit of listener fatigue in the second half. The level at which they play and the energy in their shows can be exhilarating, but also exhausting. I was evaluating the audience around me and they were locked in all the way through Pull Me Under. And usually there is attitude when a band puts too much new material in a show. Not so. At all. The fans knew the lyrics to the new stuff and were totally into hearing it and singing it. That proves that ADTOE is going to be a DT classic on par with I&W in my opinion. It is for me already.

To conclude, the show was a total rush and going home, I continued playing the new album and still was getting into it. By the way Outcry is just a tremendous song in concert, a real tour de force. I am now psyched for the Beacon tomorrow, and Albany and Philly over the weekend. I cannot get enough of this, but I plan to try.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 12:39:22 AM by Major Thirteenth »

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2011, 04:54:53 AM »
One other thing about the show...  I've never been much of a fan of "Endless Sacrifice".  It plods along a little too much at times.  But, last night...  Holy Cow!  That was probably the most I've ever enjoyed listening to or watching that song played.  The energy and inter-play they had between each other was fantastic.  Very awesome!

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2011, 05:59:05 AM »
Endless Sacrifice kicked ASS!

The show was awesome last night. Great setlist and Mangini is a MONSTER! Thankfully they seemed to have dropped TGD and are playing outcry and BAI every night which makes me very happy. I was psyched for WFS but these idiots next to me kept talking during it and it was very distracting. The venue was not the best. The sound was poor in many areas. Can't wait for the Beacon tonight!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2011, 06:06:35 AM »
. I am now psyched for the Beacon tomorrow, and Albany and Philly over the weekend. I cannot get enough of this, but I plan to try.
Obviously, I'm very envious. But I felt the same way after the Boston show. I could easily see this show 7 nights in a row and not get tired of it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline coffees for closers

« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2011, 06:36:58 AM »
One other thing about the show...  I've never been much of a fan of "Endless Sacrifice".  It plods along a little too much at times.  But, last night...  Holy Cow!  That was probably the most I've ever enjoyed listening to or watching that song played.  The energy and inter-play they had between each other was fantastic.  Very awesome!

I know what you mean, ES has always been one of my least fav songs (boring to me) but the guys really seem to dig paying it and put new life into it. Now I will have to give it new respect and stop skipping it when I listen to ToT.

Offline dtnj

« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2011, 07:25:33 AM »
The show was awesome!!! I can't believe they played Caught in a web. The guys looked relaxed and having a good time. I hope Mike wins the Modern Drummer Prog drummer of the year.

Offline JasonScandopolous

« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2011, 07:55:39 AM »
I dont know about you guys, but breaking all illusions last night was the best thing I've ever heard.

Other comments:
-James did indeed sound extremely good, at album quality or better.  I'd say he declined in the second hour a bit to below album quality, though (except BAI), but not much below.  It was great to hear him sing so well.
-What was with the upper register of jordan's keys; were the speakers unable to handle them or was there intentional off-pitch distortion in songs like Wait for Sleep?  There shouldnt have been IMO!
-Mangini drum solo was awesome
-Myung was very active on stage, especially in looking at mangini.
-James repeatedly put on and took off a red hat and red belt (JP looked at him and laughed during pull me under, which caused james to slightly laugh while he was singing), and did other silly things most of the night (grabbing JRs beard, putting arm around myung, etc.)
-Overall, awesome, great show, better selection of songs than the Maiden tour by far and each was better played.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2011, 08:23:57 AM »
My only complaint was with the "absolutely no photography" decree  Being off to the side up front, security was hanging on the stairs all night and they'd tell you to shut it down as soon as you tried to take pictures.  2 guys 4th row center must've been told 25 times to put their cameras/ phones away.  Being as close as I was, I would've loved to take some shots.  However, security definitely deterred me from doing so.

It must've been at DT's request because they made no such announcement before Queensryche 2 months ago.

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2011, 09:26:34 AM »
Everything I have to say about this amazing show has already been said about it I believe, so I'll just add this: Clown LaBrie :metal

Offline DT2003

« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2011, 09:44:22 AM »
So am I the only one who didn't like/hated the venue?  Did anyone else have floor seats and if so what did you think?

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2011, 09:53:28 AM »
I was in seat J 107, which is pretty much dead center of the venue 10 rows from the stage, and I thought my seats and the view were fantastic.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2011, 09:59:46 AM »
It's pretty much flat until you get to like the 10th row.  After that, it starts sloping up.  Before that, it could be a problem unless you're a little taller than those in front of you.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2011, 10:16:34 AM »
I thought it was a great venue. Not the greatest for a theater, but quite good.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline DT2003

« Reply #86 on: October 12, 2011, 10:26:08 AM »
It's pretty much flat until you get to like the 10th row.  After that, it starts sloping up.  Before that, it could be a problem unless you're a little taller than those in front of you.

That's my problem.  I was row F (which is the 7th row) and I'm short.  So for me I was constantly trying to see around people.

Offline coffees for closers

« Reply #87 on: October 12, 2011, 11:05:01 AM »
I was in seat J 107, which is pretty much dead center of the venue 10 rows from the stage, and I thought my seats and the view were fantastic.

Yes, what a good place to see a show. Comfortable, easy to get to, view and sound were excellent. Hopefully because we were all such a well behaved crowd (albeit occasional weed in the air) they will have some more metal shows there.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2011, 12:39:27 PM »

Yes, what a good place to see a show. Comfortable, easy to get to, view and sound were excellent. Hopefully because we were all such a well behaved crowd (albeit occasional weed in the air) they will have some more metal shows there.

Funny you should mention weed.  I didn't smell any all show and then during either "Breaking All Illusions" or "Pull Me Under", I turned around and got hit by a pot wall by the guys one row back.

One other aside...  I was reading a "review" of the show this morning.  And, the guy was also at the Queensryche show 2 months earlier in Morristown.  He said that, while Geoff Tate never really made a connection with the audience, James was the total opposite, constantly getting the crowd into the show.  I couldn't agree more.

Offline lwpmedia

« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2011, 10:22:01 AM »

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #90 on: October 13, 2011, 11:36:34 AM »
So am I the only one who didn't like/hated the venue?  Did anyone else have floor seats and if so what did you think?

I was 2nd row in balcony. Loved that place!

Offline Derango

« Reply #91 on: October 13, 2011, 11:39:04 AM »

I was 2nd row in balcony. Loved that place!

I loved the venue as well. I was dead center in row D so probably one of those tall guys that DT2003 was complaining about. I must apologize for my height. I blame my father.

Offline FluffyMcFluffington

• Kitty Detective
« Reply #92 on: October 13, 2011, 01:12:07 PM »
This was my first DT show, and I can say with confidence that it won't be my last.  Even my GF was impressed with them, and she's a hardcore country fan!

A few points about the show:

1.)  The sound was LOUD, very LOUD.  I felt that the drums and guitars were turned up too high to the point where I could barely hear Rudess, Myung, and LaBrie.  I was sitting in the balcony so it could have been a different experience on the floor.  (Balcony Left G 3)

2.)  The setlist contained 14 songs, 6 being from the new album.  The best part about the setlist.....ZERO songs from Systematic Chaos and BC&SL!   :tup

The setlist:
- Bridges in the Sky
- These Walls
- Build Me Up, Break Me Down
- Endless Sacrifice
- (Mangini Solo) Ytse Jam
- Wait for Sleep
- Far From Heaven
- Outcry
- On The Backs of Angels
- Caught in a Web
- Through My Words
- Fatal Tragedy
- Breaking All Illusions
- Pull Me Under (Encore)

3.)  Trivium played for only 45 minutes, while DT played for about 2 hours.  For my first DT show, 2 hours actually felt too short, 3 hours would have felt right.  Can't complain though  :smiley:

4.)  James LaBrie was extremely impressive.  He was even flawless singing Pull Me Under and didn't sound tired at all (this was the 14th song of the night).  I don't even have to comment on what I thought about Mangini's solo.

Overall, A+ performance!  Next time I'll have to see them at an amphitheater, something tells me that it would sound better than a traditional theater.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 01:24:19 PM by FluffyMcFluffington »

Offline Derango

« Reply #93 on: October 13, 2011, 01:21:19 PM »
1.)  The sound was LOUD, very LOUD.  I felt that the drums and guitars were turned up too high to the point where I could barely hear Rudess, Myung, and LaBrie.  I was sitting in the balcony so it could have been a different experience on the floor.  (Balcony Left G 3)

This is pretty normal for Dream Theater. They tend to play loud, especially in smaller venues. Bring good earplugs, it makes it a lot more balanced.

The sound was actually pretty good where I was.

Offline FluffyMcFluffington

• Kitty Detective
« Reply #94 on: October 13, 2011, 01:30:50 PM »

This is pretty normal for Dream Theater. They tend to play loud, especially in smaller venues. Bring good earplugs, it makes it a lot more balanced.

Yup no complaints about how loud it was, just wish James was turned up a bit more considering how amazing his vocals were.

Also, Breaking All Illusions was definitely my favorite song out of the entire performance, with Ytse Jam being a close second (again, we all know how awesome the drum solo was!).  Did anybody else notice a reduced tempo during the end of Fatal Tragedy?

« Reply #95 on: October 13, 2011, 04:28:58 PM »

Yes, fatal tradgedy was too slow.  I wonder if that was a mangini error or if they slowed it down so JP could nail the solo?  Either way, ignoring that it was slower, it actually sounded "off" to me, which was too bad b/c it is one of my favorite DT songs (mostly bc of the end).
Yup no complaints about how loud it was, just wish James was turned up a bit more considering how amazing his vocals were.

Also, Breaking All Illusions was definitely my favorite song out of the entire performance, with Ytse Jam being a close second (again, we all know how awesome the drum solo was!).  Did anybody else notice a reduced tempo during the end of Fatal Tragedy?

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #96 on: October 13, 2011, 04:46:24 PM »
i thought fatal tragedy was a album tempo, slower than it has been live with MP becuase he liked to speed it up. I really don't think the slowed it down for JP, that dude can play as fast as he wants.

« Reply #97 on: October 13, 2011, 05:02:28 PM »
i thought fatal tragedy was a album tempo, slower than it has been live with MP becuase he liked to speed it up. I really don't think the slowed it down for JP, that dude can play as fast as he wants.

It was definitely significantly slower than the album, a good 10-20%.  It's a shame that there's no video of the performance...

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #98 on: October 13, 2011, 07:57:25 PM »
I noticed that about Fatal Tragedy, too.  Definitely slower.  I haven't checked out 'Live Scenes' or any boots with MP to see if they played it slow with him, too.

Definitely a shame about no video.  Since NYC Bitch Committee was there for the Queensryche show in August, I was hoping they'd show up to record DT.  I think it was Nick saying he was planning on recording the audio of the show.  Haven't seen him chime in since the show, though.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #99 on: October 13, 2011, 09:42:39 PM »
Ok here is a video from this tour. I just AB'd it with the album. Don't notice much difference in tempo...

https://youtu.be/iCG7MswemeQ

Offline Major Thirteenth

« Reply #100 on: October 13, 2011, 10:39:58 PM »
My only complaint was with the "absolutely no photography" decree  Being off to the side up front, security was hanging on the stairs all night and they'd tell you to shut it down as soon as you tried to take pictures.  2 guys 4th row center must've been told 25 times to put their cameras/ phones away.  Being as close as I was, I would've loved to take some shots.  However, security definitely deterred me from doing so.

It must've been at DT's request because they made no such announcement before Queensryche 2 months ago.

Not a DT thing, just a venue thing. The Beacon was a sea of unmolested recording phones.

Offline Derango

« Reply #101 on: October 14, 2011, 05:28:21 AM »

Not a DT thing, just a venue thing. The Beacon was a sea of unmolested recording phones.

This may be a little bit of an unpopular thing but I'm kinda glad they were so strict on it. I'm getting awfully tired of trying to see a band through a sea of cell phones being held up into the air...

Offline Major Thirteenth

« Reply #102 on: October 14, 2011, 07:25:43 AM »
This may be a little bit of an unpopular thing but I'm kinda glad they were so strict on it. I'm getting awfully tired of trying to see a band through a sea of cell phones being held up into the air...

Can't disagree. Standing for 2 hours is hard enough. Losing circulation in my arms also so I can record a poor quality snippet of the concert I'm at? That's just too much of a sacrifice, even for DT. And it's OK guys. You can just tell your friends you went to a show. They will believe you. Video proof is not necessary.

« Reply #103 on: October 14, 2011, 07:34:25 AM »
Ok here is a video from this tour. I just AB'd it with the album. Don't notice much difference in tempo...

https://youtu.be/iCG7MswemeQ

It was definitely slower at the concert.  I cant check out the link right now, but if it is indeed album tempo, that tells us that it probably was unintentionally slow at this show (mangini missed the mark)... or that maybe JPs solo had been subpar for a few shows prior (i.e. between your video and this show), and they decided to slow it down.  No way for us to tell, but it was a slight disappointment in a huge night.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #104 on: October 14, 2011, 08:30:42 AM »

Can't disagree. Standing for 2 hours is hard enough. Losing circulation in my arms also so I can record a poor quality snippet of the concert I'm at? That's just too much of a sacrifice, even for DT. And it's OK guys. You can just tell your friends you went to a show. They will believe you. Video proof is not necessary.
True.  Video proof is not necessary.  My main reason for voicing disappointment is that I have a very large DT bootleg collection.  I have over 100 DT concert videos and over 500 concert audios.  And, of the 22 DT shows I'd been to before this one, I had either audio or video (be it bootleg or official) for 19 or 20 of them.

That being said, this was a f*cking awesome concert.  And, I'm so glad I was able to go.