Author Topic: The euro crisis will give Germany the empire it’s always dreamed of  (Read 1122 times)

Offline AndyDT

https://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/peteroborne/100098260/this-crisis-will-give-germany-the-empire-its-always-dreamed-of/

While these nations relapse into pre-modern economic systems, Germany is busy turning into one of the most dynamic and productive economies in the world. Despite the grumbling, for the Germans, the bail-outs are worth every penny, because they guarantee a cheap outlet for their manufactured goods. Yesterday’s witching hour of the European Union means that Germany has come very close to realising Bismarck’s dream of an economic empire stretching from central Europe to the Eastern Mediterranean.

History has seen many attempts to unify Europe, from the Habsburgs to the Bourbons and Napoleon. This attempt is likely to fail, too. Indeed, a paradox is at work here. The founders of the European Union were driven by a vision of a peaceful new world after a century of war. Yet nothing could have been more calculated to create civil disorder and national resistance than yesterday’s demented move to salvage the single currency.

I can't see Greeks being satisfied with being puppets to another country in the long run.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Didn't we know this was happening anyway? Like, before the financial meltdown? And I mean they, Denmark and the Baltics are leading the European fight against global warming, so good on them.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
Wait, you're surprised that this would happen in the future?

History is cyclical, so of course there's going to be some nation trying unite (take over) the whole of Europe.  That shit tends to happen in history.  Much like a giant empire collapsing as a result of its internal shortcomings.  Like the US could be headed towards.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Telegraph.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
It's of course not particularly surprising to read this kind of article. The Telegraph caters to a specific kind of people: WWII-reminiscing, Empire-reminiscing Euroskeptics.
Those people of course want to see the Euro fail. In essence, even though they can't say it out loud, they really want any European endeavor to fail, because the only multi-national thing they ever approved of was the British Empire.
So, now that Merkel and Sarkozy managed to save the Euro (at least for a while), they need to shift their argument and say that Germany is "at it again". That'll get the ol' corduroy slipper-wearing guys all riled up, and that's good for the newspaper sales.

rumborak

Offline AndyDT

Aside from any nationalism, I wonder if anybody thinks that Greeks will be happy being in long term financial thrall to another country. That's what contributed to world war in the past.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
That at least is a valid point, even though of course there won't be a WWIII because Greece (a tiny country with small GDP and otherwise force in the grand scheme) is simply not a major player.
But yes, I also see it with concern that Greek's fate is essentially determined by Sarkozy and Merkel meeting in a private meeting. I know they still had to (and successfully managed to) convince the other European countries, but of course to Greece it looks as if France and Germany is determining Greece's fate.

rumborak

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Well hopefully democratic peace theory and nuclear deterrence work in Europe.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
Telegraph + Empire-reminiscing Euroskeptics.

/thread

But seriously, we aren't living in the middle ages any more; this kind of stuff just doesn't happen. Do you really, truly, honestly think that a democratically elected German chancellor wants to rule over all of Europe, and is doing so by holding out on some of the pissy little nations on the Euro fringe? Psh.

I do, however, agree that the German economy is loving all of this turmoil; they've got financial stability AND a weak currency to hock their wares on global markets with. Ka-ching.

EDIT: Ok, so I've read the article now. Going to do a bit of reading on the outcomes of the summit and will edit this later.

EDIT2: Well, as far as I can see the whole things being a bit sensationalised...everyone is speculating that Germany and France will control the budgets of all the other Euro nations when, as far as I can tell, thats simply not true. The largest change that I can see coming, well largest two changes, are the legislated fiscal controls and the widening of the stability fund. Legislated fiscal controls are, under the circumstances, a good choice I think until the periphery nations get their shit together; and the stability fund is essentially a big pot of money that will be distributed from the strong fiscal nations to the weak fiscal nations. All this shit about "Germany finally gets their empire" etc etc should be taken as such.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 06:25:09 PM by Riceball »
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations