Author Topic: Crimson Glory  (Read 3570 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Crimson Glory
« on: July 20, 2011, 10:11:32 PM »
Any other fans of Crimson Glory?  I am a huge fan of their first two discs and believe they are two of the best metal albums of the 80's.  The new singer sounds very close to the mighty Midnight and is sounding good live.  I heard they have been working on new material, but haven't heard any recent news.  I know they are currently touring and kicking ass live.

Offline Lowdz

Re: Crimson Glory
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 02:17:41 AM »
Only really a fan of Transcendence, but I did have a soft spot for Strange And Beautiful. Midnight's voice was a bit of an acquired taste.
recently picked u the In Dark Places boxset as I didn't have any of their stuff on cd, just those two albums I mentioned on vinyl. I haven't really dug into it yet but I guess I should make the effort.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 05:45:36 AM »
Such an amazing band, Midnight was amazing RIP.  I have the first two and Astronomica.  I haven't heard Strange and Beautiful but from what I heard it was a completely different style.  First two are gold, especially Transcendance.

This is gold;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOtlTrh809g
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 09:33:20 AM »
 As someone who was a teen in the early 80's , I was somewhat put off by the appearance ( the masks) and never took the seriously so I never endulged in their music. I was recently turned on to them by Nick's show and have liked what I've heard so far.

As a noob to this band any recommendations?
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 10:55:28 AM »
The first two discs are pure gold; the third, Strange & Beautiful is a completely different sound.  It's a decent rock disc, kind of like QR'S HINF, but nothing overwhelming.  The forth and most recent disc, features a different singer.  The sound is simular to the first two, but would be better if it featured Midnight.  Interested to hear new material.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 02:52:03 PM »
Oh, how I love Transcendence. One of the best metal albums ever. If their new stuff sounds like that I'm aboard.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 06:19:14 PM »
I might dig out Astronomica and have another listen, I feel it needs more attention.  I'm annoyed that Doc from Savatage is in the band but never played on it.  >:(
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 12:37:37 AM »
Another awesome and totally underrated band.  The debut was excellent, but Transcendence was PHENOMENAL!.  Didn't care much for S&B, but Astronomica is rather good.  It's a shame Midnight didn't want to rejoin the band after S&B, since his voice was one of the best things about CG, and it would have gone perfectly with Astronimica.  I haven't heard anything about their new singer, La Torre, but allegedly he's got a pretty damn impressive range.  Here's hoping to a new album!  RIP Midnight  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 01:03:10 PM »
Listened to astronomica yesterday and didn't rate it- certainly not as good as the first 3.

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 11:57:52 AM »
agree with most on here. the first 2 albums, especially Transcendence, are amazing. Midnight was a truly wonderful singer. RIP.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 07:13:49 PM »
Been listening to Transcendence and really liking it. :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 07:35:45 PM »
As someone who was a teen in the early 80's , I was somewhat put off by the appearance ( the masks) and never took the seriously so I never endulged in their music.
Same here. I remember seeing pictures of them, thinking yeah right!

I have copies of their first two albums kicking around. I should bust them out.

How did the original singer die?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 07:45:25 PM »
According to Wikipedia it was a stomach aneurysm.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 08:42:20 PM »
Midnight had major addictions which he lost the battle.  With Todd in QR, I'm curious how the new album will play out. I don't see it getting released anytime in the next year.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, 02:54:14 PM »
New demo up featuring Todd LaTorre. He sounds very Geoff Tate. Looking forward to this album, a concept record apparently. Also makes me very happy for the new Queensryche  :metal

https://www.bravewords.com/news/189478

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2012, 06:44:42 PM »
Just listening to it right now.........awesome!! 

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 02:09:04 AM »
Just listening to it right now.........awesome!!

Right! I love Todd's voice and singing and the music has that strange CG landmark sound.

B.lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 12:57:19 AM »
Just heard the new song.   :metal  Seriously, TLT is an amazingly gifted singer and, apparently, songwriter as well.  That song is all sorts of awesome.  It's got just the right combination of atmosphere and metal and insanity that CG was known for in their golden age.  I was starting to wonder if a new CG album would come out before the next Savatage album or not, and it looks like it will  :P.  I Still want that new Sava-record, but maybe a new Crimson Glory album and a TLT-led Queensryche album will help ease my pain.   :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2012, 08:29:32 AM »
Todd has made me seriously want to check this band out.  So they do NOT have an album out yet with Todd on vocals, correct?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2012, 11:25:18 AM »
Not yet, just the demo. It's supposed to be a concept album hopefully due out early to mid 2013

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2012, 04:08:10 PM »
Todd has made me seriously want to check this band out.  So they do NOT have an album out yet with Todd on vocals, correct?

Unfortunately, no, they have not yet released an album with Todd.  That demo is all that is out of the new CG lineup.  Still, you should definitely get into their older albums, particularly the first two, s/t and Transcendence.   The first album is awesome, but Transcendence is just a masterpiece of early prog-metal, and one of the definitive works of the founding years of the genre.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2012, 07:56:19 PM »

Unfortunately, no, they have not yet released an album with Todd.  That demo is all that is out of the new CG lineup.  Still, you should definitely get into their older albums, particularly the first two, s/t and Transcendence.   The first album is awesome, but Transcendence is just a masterpiece of early prog-metal, and one of the definitive works of the founding years of the genre.

DM knows what he is talking about.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2023, 10:19:40 PM »
super old bump.

I stumbled on 2 things tonight on YouTube.

Official video for Lonely
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH3h0OS84tM

this 16 minute documentary piece which is great to see and understand a lot of the history. Although 1 bit Midnight being gone doesn't fully correlate with what Wikipedia says, but I knew he disappeared and ended up coming back in the mid 2000's. I must confess to never having heard any of his solo stuff which I'd like to. Unsure how well received "Sakada" was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBpCvjxhGiw

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2023, 11:27:22 AM »
I didn't watch anything other than the "aftermath" section of that little biography video and they were incorrect about Todd leaving Crimson Glory.  He had joined Queensryche while still being the CG singer and planned to do both bands, since CG wasn't very active.  He eventually quit after there was no forward movement with CG working on an album.  Joining QR did not mean that Todd would automatically quit CG.

Not long afterwards, Jon Drenning was arrested as part of a cocaine drug ring in Florida, which I'm sure also was a reason for Todd leaving the band.  They could add quite a bit of material to that section of the video with some of Jon's other....activities....around that same time.   :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2023, 06:14:27 PM »
Not long afterwards, Jon Drenning was arrested as part of a cocaine drug ring in Florida, which I'm sure also was a reason for Todd leaving the band.  They could add quite a bit of material to that section of the video with some of Jon's other....activities....around that same time.   :lol
LoL, I never knew about that. Jeez!  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2023, 09:33:55 AM »
The other members of CG have side projects worthy of checking out. Also, there is a posthumous album of Midnight's work coming out soon. I don't recall the details, but I'm sure you can find it on Facebook (which is where I saw it).

For me, those first two CG albums, particular the second, are classics. Everything else they did is okay, but forgettable. But Transcendence should be a staple in any prog metal fan's collection. I got into it late. Can't believe I never owned it until about 12 years ago.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2023, 11:51:19 AM »
when I got into Fates Warning in 1995, they were the 1st band recommended to me.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2023, 02:48:05 PM »
I bought the self-titled debut in early 1987 and remember listening to it 4 or 5 times in a row the day I got it. I thought it was incredible. The debut and Transcendece are all-time favourites for me.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2023, 10:18:46 AM »
Well this is a surprise https://blabbermouth.net/news/crimson-glory-announces-return-with-new-singer-and-guitarist

New singer sounds great from the snippets shared and the first single is available on the Band's website https://theofficialcrimsonglory.com/
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2023, 05:34:14 PM »
wow, that sounds really good.

Offline Awaken

« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2023, 02:43:52 AM »
Agreed this new material sounds promising, especially from a band I had long ago written off.  Transcendence is a great, great album - I still revisit it from time to time.  Exciting times!

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2023, 11:20:42 PM »
https://blabbermouth.net/news/crimson-glorys-founding-guitarist-jon-drenning-supports-the-bands-comeback-i-share-the-same-enthusiasm-as-the-fans

"I wish Ben, Dana and Jeff all the best. I would have loved to be a part of this new chapter, but my priorities are not in sync with the band at this juncture. Indeed, being a father has shaped my priorities in ways I could never imagine. Mark Borgemeyer is a good friend and I can't think of a better candidate to fill my shoes. I share the same enthusiasm as the fans, and there may be another surprise for them around the corner…stay tuned."

I imagine his arrest was more of a reason for him sitting this out but it is nice to hear from him as he kinda dropped off the face of the earth after that happened.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2023, 08:39:36 PM »
https://blabbermouth.net/news/crimson-glorys-founding-guitarist-jon-drenning-supports-the-bands-comeback-i-share-the-same-enthusiasm-as-the-fans

"I wish Ben, Dana and Jeff all the best. I would have loved to be a part of this new chapter, but my priorities are not in sync with the band at this juncture. Indeed, being a father has shaped my priorities in ways I could never imagine. Mark Borgemeyer is a good friend and I can't think of a better candidate to fill my shoes. I share the same enthusiasm as the fans, and there may be another surprise for them around the corner…stay tuned."

I imagine his arrest was more of a reason for him sitting this out but it is nice to hear from him as he kinda dropped off the face of the earth after that happened.

That's probably part of it, but I've also read that he has custody of his son, so I think he's being honest about his priorities.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2023, 10:39:41 AM »
Looking forward to seeing what they do. A bit weird to have CG without both Midnight (RIP) and Jon. But I mean, we have plenty of bands without the main voices and writers these days. So I'll give it a listen.

As for Jon, yeah, his arrest and fatherhood are likely the reasons he is not involved. Glad he is supporting them moving forward without him though.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2023, 01:23:43 PM »
What was he arrested for?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol