Author Topic: The inaugural All Music Fantasy Draft  (Read 14767 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: The inaugural All Music Fantasy Draft
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2011, 10:36:05 PM »
That's a really, really cool idea; I almost think you could run it as a bracket-type affair if you get, say 16+ people. Break it up into groups of four, who each pick 8 songs and then everyone except those in that bracket votes for the best, with the winner/s progressing depending on how you'd run it.

I'd be interested in being assistant commissioner of the DTMFL if the position was available :biggrin:

I'll consider the 16 teams notion.  One problem with that is, much like a fantasy football draft, there are a limited number of "elite" picks.  Despite there being a nearly infinite number of tunes to choose from,  there are 5 or 6 that are pretty obvious "first rounders" (WHICH I'D PREFER NOT BE DISCUSSED IN THIS THREAD --lets keep this spoiler free).  The number 8 team probably wouldn't be at much of a disadvantage, but the 16th might well be. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2011, 10:45:30 PM »
Well, if you're looking for eclectic tastes, you can't do much better than me... however, this looks like it may shape up into a forum "popularity" or "notoriety" thing, in which case, a slot would be wasted on me.

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2011, 10:48:04 PM »
I suppose in that sense it would really be like a fantasy draft, I mean there's only one [insert NFL MVP for 2011 here] in every legit NFL fantasy comp...
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2011, 11:22:24 PM »
Well, if you're looking for eclectic tastes, you can't do much better than me... however, this looks like it may shape up into a forum "popularity" or "notoriety" thing, in which case, a slot would be wasted on me.
I'm really not sure how that will turn out.  I'd certainly prefer it to be people's personal favorite songs, and not what people perceive to be the most popular ones.  But then there is still the element of competition.  I think that there's room for both to coexist, but whether or not that actually happens is anybody's guess. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2011, 05:30:01 AM »
You are right El Barto. I mean, the one problem I have is that these "elite" picks are going to win no matter what, and people might choose them as opposed to what they really want. For example, let's say there's this song called An Alteration of Periods (;)) that everyone loves that would not touch my top bazillion, what do?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2011, 08:42:20 AM »
For one thing,  elite picks won't win anything.  A list will win, and the list might have one or two of the so-called elite songs on them.  They'll be gone in the first round, and then you're on your own.  Plus, as you pointed out,  even the elite picks aren't universally loved.  If you want to go specifically by what you think will be popular, you'll still be taking your chances. 

Also consider that you've only got 8 slots.  If I were making a desert island CD,  I'd have some classical music on it.  Maybe a bit of jazz.  You'll need to spread things around a bit.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2011, 10:41:18 AM »
So I've been throwing darts in my office and dreaming up the next big craze to sweep DTF.  Reading through the Top Five Songs thread,  you see plenty of "great list!"s and "Oh yeah!"s, and it seems like a competitive element might be in order.  Here's what I'm pondering.  Eight entrants drafting 8 songs each.

I see what you did there.

Who will be the first 8 contestants?  What else should be considered?  Other questions?  Should it end in a tournament bracket, a survivor, a poll or some other method?

A little biased here, but how about people who won roulettes.  We obviously have great taste in music, and since I won twice I must have twice the great taste.

This is the way I would run it.  8 players, 5 judges and 1 official.  The draft is private, 8 players and the official.  Official hands playlists over to judges who rank them without knowing who submitted what (to eliminate any player bias), and players don't know who is judging, althought with facebook people could probably try to influence anyway if they wanted to.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2011, 11:12:41 AM »
In order to give everyone a fair chance to participate, I say we need to do a lottery. If you let people vote, obviously they will vote for their favorite members.

Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2011, 11:16:44 AM »
I'll do whatever it takes to make sure that everyone is forced to sit down and listen to my shitty favorites.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2011, 12:00:43 PM »
I'll do whatever it takes to make sure that everyone is forced to sit down and listen to my shitty favorites.

If you dropped dead I'm sure we'd hold a memorial for you and listen to your shitty favorites.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 12:35:22 PM by DTVT »

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2011, 12:14:06 PM »
I think you're onto something there.

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2011, 12:17:35 AM »
If you let people vote, obviously they will vote for their favorite members.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2011, 01:35:08 AM »
Well...yeah.  That's the point.  The voted members will be a good representation of DTF.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2011, 01:36:48 AM »
Well...yeah.  That's the point.  The voted members will be a good representation of DTF.
So that means I'm in for sure right :neverusethis:

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2011, 01:38:36 AM »
So that means I'm in for sure right :neverusethis:
I wanna be in, too.  The only prog metal I like is DT, Synth-X, Opeth, Kings X, and Galactic Cowboys!

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2011, 08:16:28 AM »
I'd really like to partake in this, as I said on the first page. Hopefully this can be pretty interesting and we can all learn more from each other.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2011, 09:57:34 AM »
So I put everybody's name into Excel, had random numbers generated next to them,  recalculated 10 times, and then sorted the results.  The first 7 are:

Iarwain
Nic35
Riceball
Ravenheart
DTVT
Ħ
Numbers

I'll figure out the mechanics of how the draft will work shortly. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2011, 10:34:10 AM »
 :tup
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2011, 10:37:30 AM »
Prepare your ears for the worst beating they've ever experienced.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2011, 01:54:12 PM »
You'll be gothic with bruises before he's done.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2011, 02:08:37 PM »
You'll be gothic with bruises before he's done.
And tangled up in fishnets and smeared with mascara like warpaint.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2011, 02:13:22 PM »
Ten bucks says I will try, and still fail miserably.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2011, 02:20:14 PM »
Oh darn, I would have been interested in this. I will follow it though :)

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2011, 02:20:42 PM »
I'll follow it, but only if I get to be in the next one.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2011, 02:24:42 PM »
Oh darn, I would have been interested in this. I will follow it though :)
I actually think there might be subsequent ones that are better.  An album version, or a band-specific version will probably work better.  It'd put more of an emphasis on the actual draft portion.  I suspect in this one, only the first round will really matter much,  and that won't have too much effect on the winning list. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Ħ

« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2011, 03:10:06 PM »
So I put everybody's name into Excel, had random numbers generated next to them,  recalculated 10 times, and then sorted the results.  The first 7 are:

Iarwain
Nic35
Riceball
Ravenheart
DTVT
Ħ
Numbers

I'll figure out the mechanics of how the draft will work shortly. 
I don't remember actually signing up, but okay, I'll do it. :lol
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Ħ

« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2011, 03:16:50 PM »
I have two suggestions:

- The competitors remain anonymous for a few rounds.  This prevents people from just voting for their favorite members (which may or may not be a problem, I'm not sure).
- No Dream Theater.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2011, 03:18:35 PM »
I have two suggestions:

- The competitors remain anonymous for a few rounds.  This prevents people from just voting for their favorite members (which may or may not be a problem, I'm not sure).
- No Dream Theater.

What would the stance be on DT-side-dishes?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2011, 03:24:05 PM »
I have two suggestions:

- No Dream Theater.

Do you mean like Transatlantic and Liquid Tension Experiment? Now that you mention it, maybe.

Actually that gives me an idea.  How about, before the draft, each member can ban one or two artists from being selected?  This prevents people from just picking a bunch of Porcupine Tree/Opeth/Dream Theater/Pink Floyd songs for an easy win.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2011, 03:25:58 PM »
I have two suggestions:

- No Dream Theater.

Do you mean like Transatlantic and Liquid Tension Experiment? Now that you mention it, maybe.

Actually that gives me an idea.  How about, before the draft, each member can ban one or two artists from being selected?  This prevents people from just picking a bunch of Porcupine Tree/Opeth/Dream Theater/Pink Floyd songs for an easy win.

I'd probably also consider banning Rush, KC, Yes and maybe Symphony-X.  They also seem to be almost universally loved, as well, adn kinda no-brain-er picks. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2011, 03:27:06 PM »
My bad.  I took all of you contributions as an interest in participating.  There are plenty who'd be interested in your slot if you don't want it.

I have two suggestions:

- No Dream Theater.
Not sure you understand.  Nobody will be voting on anything until after the draft.  Each of the participants will draft an entire 8 song lineup, and those lineups will be voted on afterward.

And I'm counting on DT to make the first round interesting.   :lol

I'm not sure a list of all PT/Opeth/DT/PF would actually win.  Personally,  I'd prefer a helluva lot more diversity than that.  Plus,  some of those like Opeth and DT aren't exactly universally adored. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Ħ

« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2011, 03:35:16 PM »
My bad.  I took all of you contributions as an interest in participating.  There are plenty who'd be interested in your slot if you don't want it.
No, I'll do it, it sounds pretty cool.

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2011, 04:59:39 PM »
When a song from one band is picked, can we still pick a song from that same band? Once a song is picked I know it can't be picked afterwards, but is it the same for the band?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2011, 06:13:06 PM »
Honestly I'm not sure how long DT would last in GMD :lol

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2011, 09:06:22 PM »
Honestly I'm not sure how long DT would last in GMD :lol
I assume it would still last quite a while, looking at the top 10 artists thread :)