Author Topic: The inaugural All Music Fantasy Draft  (Read 14768 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: The inaugural All Music Fantasy Draft
« Reply #140 on: August 06, 2011, 02:43:28 PM »
Fucking asshole.  And the list is updated each pick in the OP.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ħ

« Reply #141 on: August 06, 2011, 03:27:23 PM »
 :biggrin:
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #142 on: August 06, 2011, 07:02:40 PM »
Metallica - Master of Puppets

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #143 on: August 06, 2011, 08:41:03 PM »

Offline Ħ

« Reply #144 on: August 06, 2011, 08:43:46 PM »
I like how these lists are shaping up.  It seems like Nic35, El Barto, and I are forming very similar lists that take bits and pieces from the DTF community, we've got DTVT with a more prog-oriented list, Numbers with a heavy metal list, Ravenheart with his indie/goth stuff, and the rest with bands and artists I don't really know about.  This shall be interesting.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #145 on: August 06, 2011, 08:57:54 PM »
Very, and you are correct. I dig the fact that we are forming different lists with different tastes. It will eventually lead to a sweet contest. Granted, I will diverge from the heavy soon enough. I want to have a wide spectrum of stuff. Better for everyone.

Anyway, on the off chance I win this, I would like to propose something. Whoever wins should be able to advance to the next draft.

Offline Iarwain

« Reply #146 on: August 06, 2011, 08:58:44 PM »
Ween - Buckingham Green

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: August 06, 2011, 09:00:50 PM »
Very, and you are correct. I dig the fact that we are forming different lists with different tastes. It will eventually lead to a sweet contest. Granted, I will diverge from the heavy soon enough. I want to have a wide spectrum of stuff. Better for everyone.

Anyway, on the off chance I win this, I would like to propose something. Whoever wins should be able to advance to the next draft.
I like your idea. Since the next draft should be the favorite artists or albums, this sould be fun.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #148 on: August 06, 2011, 09:01:58 PM »
Oh, and btw, in the future, I think it would be awesome if once you use a band, it can never be used again. Think of all the FFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUs that will happen once people use DT, PT, Opeth, PoS, etc. It would also lead to some more thinking and interesting bands.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #149 on: August 06, 2011, 09:04:39 PM »
Or, if this is really popular, we could have the 8 winners from the first 8 contests compete.

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: August 06, 2011, 09:05:21 PM »
But our lists wouldn't change. Maybe 1 or 2 songs each, but still.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #151 on: August 06, 2011, 09:06:52 PM »
We already have more than on DT, PT, and Rush. And it's not even half over.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #152 on: August 06, 2011, 09:07:37 PM »
Or hey, maybe once a song is used, it can't even be used for subsequent contests.  As we have more and more contests, we'll really flesh out DTF's tastes.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #153 on: August 06, 2011, 09:08:42 PM »
That'd be intense.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #154 on: August 06, 2011, 09:09:24 PM »
Doubtful. Many people won't be very interested in going out of their comfort zones, which is understandable.

Edit: Oh yeah, also:

Anathema - One Last Goodbye

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #155 on: August 06, 2011, 09:10:44 PM »
What I'm worried about it people judging. People will be more likely to vote for a song they know rather than one they don't that is possibly 46788765678x better.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #156 on: August 06, 2011, 10:13:41 PM »
I think that adds to it.  That's why I'm picking songs that I both love and think that DTF loves.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #157 on: August 06, 2011, 10:55:12 PM »
I like how these lists are shaping up.  It seems like Nic35, El Barto, and I are forming very similar lists that take bits and pieces from the DTF community, we've got DTVT with a more prog-oriented list, Numbers with a heavy metal list, Ravenheart with his indie/goth stuff, and the rest with bands and artists I don't really know about.  This shall be interesting.
After this round, after I had picked fucking Dogs,  I was going to diverge quite a bit.  My only thought of strategy was making sure I got the ones that others might pick.  I'm largely out of that now, as I suspect others are.  My guess is that 5-8 are pretty unique for the three of us.  

I think this would be a very interesting format to do only DT songs, and also picking whole albums. 

I'll update the OP and make my pick manana.  
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #158 on: August 06, 2011, 10:56:12 PM »
You know, that word loses a lot of what is supposed to be without the little hat thing. I read it like banana but with an m.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #159 on: August 07, 2011, 12:02:04 AM »
Edit: My reading comprehension sucks.  Carry on.

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #160 on: August 07, 2011, 12:51:58 AM »
Its gonna be pretty interesting to see who comes last as well as first, should shape how people approach this kind of game in the future. I'd be interested in a game where theres a fixed pool of songs (like 64 DT tracks) that are drafted. Nonetheless, this is great stuff so far; I've got a feeling I'll lose though.....
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #161 on: August 07, 2011, 01:47:00 AM »
You know, that word loses a lot of what is supposed to be without the little hat thing. I read it like banana but with an m.
Yeah,  I noticed that at the time.  Normally I'm a real stickler for little details like that accent, but I'm a bit drunk and not real inclined to hunt down the ascii code. 

E.F. Benson

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #162 on: August 07, 2011, 03:36:25 PM »
I'm glued to this thread even though I'm not participating (yet hopefully)

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #163 on: August 07, 2011, 07:10:29 PM »
Who's up? I gotta draft to lose.

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: August 07, 2011, 07:13:11 PM »
I think it's Barto's turn.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #165 on: August 07, 2011, 07:16:30 PM »
*sigh* Old people and their senility.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #166 on: August 08, 2011, 12:53:40 PM »
Close to the Edge.
E.F. Benson

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: August 08, 2011, 04:53:51 PM »
Now the real competition begins. We all picked awesome songs, but now the big titles are out so we should see more obscure songs.

Just like in any drafts, the three or four first picks aren't as much important as your following ones.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #168 on: August 08, 2011, 05:50:13 PM »
All Along The Watchtower - Hendrix

Offline Riceball

« Reply #169 on: August 08, 2011, 06:05:13 PM »
Hmmmmmmmmmm

Karnivool - Deadman

:metal

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #170 on: August 08, 2011, 07:01:32 PM »

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: August 08, 2011, 07:50:41 PM »
Opeth - Hex Omega

Offline Ħ

« Reply #172 on: August 08, 2011, 09:18:13 PM »
Nice.

Opeth - Ghost of Perdition

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #173 on: August 08, 2011, 09:26:19 PM »
Alice in Chains - Bleed the Freak

Offline Riceball

« Reply #174 on: August 08, 2011, 09:33:36 PM »
Nice.

Opeth - Ghost of Perdition
Well, thats two of the Opeth tracks I was going to use gone...