Author Topic: The inaugural All Music Fantasy Draft  (Read 14760 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
The inaugural All Music Fantasy Draft
« on: July 20, 2011, 03:17:18 PM »
So I've been throwing darts in my office and dreaming up the next big craze to sweep DTF.  Reading through the Top Five Songs thread,  you see plenty of "great list!"s and "Oh yeah!"s, and it seems like a competitive element might be in order.  Here's what I'm pondering.  Eight entrants drafting 8 songs each.  Once everybody has their lineup,  we'll put all 8 lists in a poll, or a tournament bracket or something, and let the rest of DTF decide who crafted the best lineup.  Perhaps vote on them as Desert Island compilation CD's.

I'm thinking any piece of music.  Any genre.  A song can only appear on one list.  Personally,  I think favorites would be the interesting way to do it, but if people wanted to roll the dice on what they think would be popular picks, that's there lookout, I suppose.  I suspect there would be a natural tendency to avoid really obscure, oddball material, Tuvan throat singing probably wouldn't garner too much support,  but again, to each their own.  If the concept turns out to be viable, then I figure people can do this sort of thing for all sorts of genres, eras, styles, etc.

Who will be the first 8 contestants?  What else should be considered?  Other questions?  Should it end in a tournament bracket, a survivor, a poll or some other method?

Edit:  Here are the participants, in order, and their picks thus far:

1. Nic35--1. Shine On You Crazy Diamond, 2. Octavarium  3.  The Czar (Mastodon) 4. Epidemic (Blackfield) 5. Hex Omega  6.  Sun of Nothing (BtBaM)  7. The Art of Dying (Gojira)  8. Save Me (A7X)
https://grooveshark.com/#/playlist/Fantasy+Draft/58510254

2. Ħ--1. Stranger In Your Soul, 2. Trial of Tears 3. Trains 4. Dogs 5. Ghost of Perdition  6.  1,000 People (Blackfield)  7. Ghost Love Score (Nightwish)  8. Veneno Para Las Hadas (SW)
https://grooveshark.com/#/playlist/Playlist+1/58503652

3. Numbers--1. Earth Day, 2. Serenity Painted Death 3. Home 4. Master of Puppets  5. Bleed the Freak  6. Daughter (Pearl Jam)  7.  Where do the Children Play (Cat Stevens) 8. God of Emptiness (Morbid Angel)
https://grooveshark.com/#/playlist/Playlist+1/58490687

4. Iarwain--1. Jackie (Scott Walker),  2. Stone to Wake a Serpent (Isis) 3.One More Robot/Sympathy 3000-21 (Flaming Lips) 4. Buckingham Green (ween)  5. Naki Kyoku  (Boris)  6. Vu d'ici (Emilie Simon)  7.  The Hawthorne Passage (Agalloch) 8.  Buffalo Daughter (Cyclic)
https://grooveshark.com/#/playlist/Playlist+1/58498162

5. Ravenheart--1. Winter (Tori Amos), 2. Prayers for Rain (The Cure) 3. Marry Me (Emilie Autumn)  4. One Last Goodbye (Anathema)  5.  Black Celebration (Depeche Mode)  6.  Great Wide Open (Sarah Fimm)  7.  Hurt (NIИ)  8.  Let's not Shit Ourselves (Bright Eyes)
https://grooveshark.com/#/playlist/Playlist+V+Ravenheart/58515161

6. El Barto--1. ACoS,  2. Anesthetize  3. Hemispheres  4.  Close to the Edge  5. How Many More Times  6.  Symphony No. 7 (Beethoven)  7.  Kings and Queens (Aerosmith)  8.  Stargazer (Rainbow)
https://grooveshark.com/#/playlist/Playlist+1/58488461

7. DTVT--1. Learning to Live 2. Natural Science 3. Arriving Somewhere But Not Here  4.  All Along the Watchtower  5. Bohemian Rhapsody  6.  Crazy Train  7.  Losing My Religion (R.E.M.)  8.  One (U2)

8. Riceball--1. Medic (Thomas Giles)  2. Where the Rain Gets in (Beardfish)  3. Cicatriz ESP (The Mars Volta)  4. Deadman (Karnivool)  5.  Money  6.  Knights of Cydonia (Muse) 7.  Disruptr  8.  Master Exploder (Tenacious D)
https://grooveshark.com/playlist/DT+Music+Draft/58512575

Poll is started and can be found here:  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=26506.0
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 09:19:19 AM by El Barto »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The inaugural All Music Fantasy Draft
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 03:58:36 PM »
I would be willing to participate!  :)

Having it open to any genre could make things interesting.

edit... this sort of reminds me of the Thunderdome game we had a while back, if you remember that at all EB.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 04:22:54 PM by Cool Chris »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Iarwain

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 04:05:28 PM »
Sounds interesting. I'd like to give it a try.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 04:26:09 PM »
Thunderdome must have been before my time.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 04:28:38 PM »
May I join, as well?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 04:35:19 PM »
Thunderdome must have been before my time.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=24116.msg925074#msg925074

This was more of a head-to-head, bracket based thing, revolving around a specific topic. Not sure if that was what you were going for.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 04:39:16 PM »
I think it could probably be good to maybe have a sort of specific characteristic of sorts for the candidate songs to meet.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 04:48:21 PM »
How bout this:

1) Each person can nominate 1 candidate
2) Candidates with 2 nominations get placed in a poll
3) The 8 candidates that have the highest votes get to compete.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 04:59:25 PM »
How bout this:

1) Each person can nominate 1 candidate
2) Candidates with 2 nominations get placed in a poll
3) The 8 candidates that have the highest votes get to compete.
Damn, that's more drawn out than the event itself.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 05:18:57 PM »
Sounds great, Bart

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 05:20:11 PM »
I'm interested
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 06:28:22 PM »
I was actually just thinking the other day about how we needed to have some kind of competitive music type thing. I'm in.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 06:55:56 PM »
I am interest.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 07:45:57 PM »
I'm pretty interested, but more confused.

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 07:50:50 PM »
I'll join if there are some spots open.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 08:10:36 PM »
Que?  Por que?
E.F. Benson

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 08:12:32 PM »
I want to participate  ;D
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 08:16:16 PM »
Bro...you're really jonesing for football........ :lol

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 08:17:33 PM »
I'll do it. You'll all hate my music, but I'll do it.
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 08:19:47 PM »
Que?  Por que?

Like, this draft, how does it work?

Sorry, but I'm more the kind of person that needs to have their hand held through every new thing.

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 08:23:10 PM »
8 members will do a list of their 8 favorite songs. Then members vote for the best list of songs. Simple.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2011, 08:26:43 PM »
Que?  Por que?

Like, this draft, how does it work?

Sorry, but I'm more the kind of person that needs to have their hand held through every new thing.
Just like the draft in any sporting league.  There'll be 8 of us.  We'll each pick one song at a time, in a set order which will be determined (by random chance) before hand.  After however long it takes for 64 selections,  we'll each have a list of 8 songs.  Think of it as each of us trying to draft the best mix-tape possible.  After we've each made our lineup,  the rest of DTF will vote to see who made the best mix-tape (though I prefer to think of it as a desert island tape).  Think of it as a competition to see which DTF'er has the best taste in music. 
E.F. Benson

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2011, 08:28:06 PM »
Put me in coach!!! I'm in!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2011, 08:33:25 PM »
I'd be interested in participating.  I love making mixes/playlists and whatnot so this should be up my alley.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
I rage-quit the Van Halen survivor after 2 songs!
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2011, 08:46:56 PM »
Considering how my 3 attempts at participating in survivors went,  your taste can't be any more unrepresentative than mine. 

Since we're now getting a fair amount of interest, I suppose the two best choices are to 1:  do a lottery with anybody who's expressed interest for the 8 spots,  or 2: put all the interested parties up for a vote,  and let everybody pick 8 choices for participation.  I actually like H's suggestion, but for one thing,  I'd prefer volunteers, and I'd also like to simplify the process a bit. 

What say y'all?
E.F. Benson

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2011, 08:58:13 PM »
Lottery.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2011, 08:59:41 PM »
I'm interested as well.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2011, 08:59:46 PM »
Lottery.

Lottery, and yeah, I'll try this too!

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2011, 09:02:53 PM »
I'd rather do the 8 choices, but a lottery is cool too.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2011, 09:05:41 PM »
Sounds great! Get people that are interested in different sorts of music so we can have a varied list. Like get say Wolfking for a more metal list, LLTWM for prog, Sigz, Ravenheart etc. so that we get a varied list of songs. If I had to vote for 8 people:

Wolfking
LLTWM
Sigz
Ravenheart
UMH
Letters
KevShmev
Zantera

Just some ideas! I just think it would be more fun if we got people that would give us a wide range of songs, and the people I listed seem to have a fairly wide range of tastes. :)

Edit: I meant to post this above but I couldn't because people kept posting, then I forgot about it and was browsing in another tab :p

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2011, 09:23:36 PM »
Sounds great! Get people that are interested in different sorts of music so we can have a varied list. Like get say Wolfking for a more metal list, LLTWM for prog, Sigz, Ravenheart etc. so that we get a varied list of songs. If I had to vote for 8 people:

Wolfking
LLTWM
Sigz
Ravenheart
UMH
Letters
KevShmev
Zantera

Just some ideas! I just think it would be more fun if we got people that would give us a wide range of songs, and the people I listed seem to have a fairly wide range of tastes. :)

Edit: I meant to post this above but I couldn't because people kept posting, then I forgot about it and was browsing in another tab :p

Ya know,  I hate to be one of those kinds of people but as the instigator of this affair,  I'm gonna be one of the participants.

And personally,  I'd just as soon the participants not be picked based on their particular interest in music.  I'm actually more interested in people with very broad tastes.  If one guy makes a prog list, another makes a classic rock list, and another picks all country songs,  what's the fun in that?  Hell,  we might as well just vote for our favorite genre's and be done with it.
E.F. Benson

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2011, 09:28:13 PM »
Good point there! :)

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2011, 10:13:41 PM »
That's a really, really cool idea; I almost think you could run it as a bracket-type affair if you get, say 16+ people (which looks highly likely). Break it up into groups of four, who each pick 8 songs and then everyone except those in that bracket votes for the best, with the winner/s progressing depending on how you'd run it.

I'd be interested in being assistant commissioner of the DTMFL if the position was available :biggrin:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 10:36:07 PM by Riceball »
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2011, 10:29:36 PM »
I'm ready and willing.

Fair warning, though:

You'll all hate my music

Offline Ħ

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2011, 10:32:24 PM »
Considering how my 3 attempts at participating in survivors went,  your taste can't be any more unrepresentative than mine. 

Since we're now getting a fair amount of interest, I suppose the two best choices are to 1:  do a lottery with anybody who's expressed interest for the 8 spots,  or 2: put all the interested parties up for a vote,  and let everybody pick 8 choices for participation.  I actually like H's suggestion, but for one thing,  I'd prefer volunteers, and I'd also like to simplify the process a bit. 

What say y'all?
Yeah, I think voting for volunteers is a better idea.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges