Author Topic: The Amazing Spider-Man.  (Read 30533 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The Amazing Spider-Man.
« Reply #245 on: July 10, 2012, 04:54:42 AM »
Haven't seen anyone mention Kingpin yet.  That is a bad-ass dude.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #246 on: July 10, 2012, 05:17:01 AM »
Yeah but Kingpin is more of a "mastermind"-type of criminal. He's more pulling the threads instead of doing anything, I could see him in a movie, like he orders the main villain (who works for him) to kill Spider-Man or something.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #247 on: July 10, 2012, 05:20:38 AM »
Agreed.  I like that plan.  They could also portray him as one physically mean mofo.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #248 on: July 10, 2012, 05:31:03 AM »
Haven't seen anyone mention Kingpin yet.  That is a bad-ass dude.
Kingpin was co villain in Daredevil, along with Colin Ferrel as Bullseye. He was played by Michael Clark Duncan. Daredevil was a pretty good movie considering they made a bad choice for Daredevil in Ben Affleck.

Kingpin can kick some ass in the comic books.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Ħ

« Reply #249 on: July 10, 2012, 09:29:55 AM »
Kingpin almost always kicked Spidey's butt in the comics.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #250 on: July 10, 2012, 10:15:09 AM »
Does Sony own Daredevil?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #251 on: July 10, 2012, 10:51:34 AM »
Does Sony own Daredevil?
No, but Sony owns Kingpin, and "loaned" him to Daredevil.  I actually just read that recently.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

« Reply #252 on: July 10, 2012, 10:52:32 AM »
Does Sony own Daredevil?
No, but Sony owns Kingpin, and "loaned" him to Daredevil.  I actually just read that recently.

Fascinating. You'd think Sony could "loan" their characters to Marvel then. Sad that probably won't happen.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #253 on: July 10, 2012, 10:53:28 AM »
It could, though.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

« Reply #254 on: July 10, 2012, 10:54:30 AM »
It could, though.

I read a recent interview with the Marvel guy about that recently. He didn't say anything conclusively, he said he would love for it to happen, but then opened his next confusing statement with "but unfortunately...", which seemed that it'd be unlikely.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #255 on: July 10, 2012, 11:02:07 AM »
It's about the dollars, baby.

Online Adami

« Reply #256 on: July 10, 2012, 11:06:47 AM »
It's about the dollars, baby.

Is it sad that I only payed attention to the part where you called me baby?

:heart :heart
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #257 on: July 10, 2012, 11:10:04 AM »
with the avengers doing so well, and the oscorp building that almost made it into that movie, i would say it's certainly not impossible

Online Adami

« Reply #258 on: July 10, 2012, 11:11:55 AM »
with the avengers doing so well, and the oscorp building that almost made it into that movie, i would say it's certainly not impossible

Not an impossibility, just unlikely. I can see Marvels thought process going like this.

"So let me get this straight....we can either NOT feature Spiderman and keep all of the money, or have the web slinger and give Sony a huge portion of that money?"

"Yup"

"Spiderman can suck a dick, we want that damn money!"
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ohgar

• Wha?
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #259 on: July 10, 2012, 02:03:08 PM »
Best moment in any Spiderman movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrJesQbSWQM
Iam pridem, ex quo suffragia nulli vendimus, effudit curas; nam qui dabat olim imperium, fasces, legiones, omnia, nunc se continet atque duas tantum res anxius optat, panem et circenses.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #260 on: July 11, 2012, 04:14:11 PM »
SO much better than the previous trilogy.  I enjoyed this movie a lot!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #261 on: July 11, 2012, 04:19:42 PM »
I watched a few parts from 1, 2, and 3. I have to say, while 1 and 2 (and even 3) have some great moments, they weren't as good as I remembered. I do like Tobey as Spidey more than Andrew, but the dialogue was just so bad. So bad. They'll always be treasured movie for me, but I have to admit that 4 is probably the best.

I concede defeat, Zantera.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #262 on: July 11, 2012, 04:45:42 PM »
 :D

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #263 on: July 11, 2012, 06:33:20 PM »
I watched a few parts from 1, 2, and 3. I have to say, while 1 and 2 (and even 3) have some great moments, they weren't as good as I remembered. I do like Tobey as Spidey more than Andrew, but the dialogue was just so bad. So bad. They'll always be treasured movie for me, but I have to admit that 4 is probably the best.

I concede defeat, Zantera.

It's you who's out, Gobby. Out of your mind!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #264 on: July 11, 2012, 11:34:44 PM »
:lol I actually like that line! It's exactly the kind of thing that Spidey would say.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #265 on: July 13, 2012, 04:58:22 AM »
For the two of you who haven't seen the movie yet: https://thegreenthbeatle.wordpress.com/2012/07/12/the-amazing-spiderman/
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: July 13, 2012, 07:26:38 AM »
Good review. I enjoyed the read.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #267 on: July 13, 2012, 08:27:33 AM »
Saw the film last night, it was pretty good but I preferred the old Spiderman film. Everyone I saw it with seemed to feel pretty much the same way. None of us read comics or anything. Maybe this film is something that appeals more to avid fans of the actual comic book series or something, I don't know.

Peter Parker was good, I don't really know whether I could say he was better than the Toby Maguire's one or not, it was just a very different direction. I think I prefer the direction and backstory in the other film though, although this one was good enough to watch too. The only thing I'd say was definitely better about the origin story in the new film was that the spiders were a lot more important and were at least sealed in a lab somewhere rather than on display to the general public (although he does just wander in). I much preferred Peter Parker working for the newspaper, though I realise they wanted to do it a bit differently so as not to be exactly like the previous film. I laughed out loud when Emma Stone said "I'm seventeen." A seventeen year old is not the head anything at a place like that. Some things just seem a bit ridiculous (like the crane scene). Also, I much prefer the organic web slingers to the artificial ones (and I don't care how it's done in the comics, I'm judging the films on their own merits)

Even though the lizard was one of my favourite villains from Spiderman, I didn't like him that much in this film. His face and voice as the lizard just weren't that good imo, he didn't have a very interesting story as the villain and his plan wasn't very interesting either. The Green Goblin in the old film was perhaps extremely cheesy but I just found him a much better, more interesting and memorable villain than this one. The lizard is pretty cool but not as good.

And again, I've never read a comic, so this is just based on which film I like better on the merits of the film alone, not on how well it follows a certain series of comics. This film did have parts that were different and interesting (not necessarily better or worse), perhaps things that were better (I haven't seen the old series in a little while but I'm willing to bet it's very cheesy and the dialogue might not always be as slick), and things that were about the same and done just as well. It didn't manage to be equal or better overall though, and the parts it did do well felt just felt a little bit redundant considering how recently they were done in a film before.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 08:33:47 AM by RuRoRul »

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #268 on: July 15, 2012, 08:58:54 PM »
apart from some truly idiotic and cheesy scenes (basketball, football) i really liked this movie. garfield and stone were good. totally wish he could be in an avengers movie with the team.