Author Topic: Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA)  (Read 2035 times)

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA)
« on: January 22, 2012, 08:27:06 AM »
I've heard opinions on this agreement that seem to range from a group believing it to be pure evil to another who thinks the former group is largely overreacting.  It's long, complicated, and possibly obfuscated, and I'm not exactly sure what's going into it, but people seem to be up in arms about the part where ISPs are required to hand over logs of their users' activity, which definitely sounds like a frightening prospect, among other issues.  However, I know internet communities (specifically Reddit) can blow things way out of proportion, which could be the case here.   

So, is the internet overreacting or is this a real threat?  Any more light to shed on the details or opinions to share from someone more knowledgeable/smarter than I am would be appreciated. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 08:54:31 AM by ClairvoyantCat »

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 12:48:46 PM »
Tumblr is spazzing about it too. "It's worse than SOPA!" I'm not sure what to think about it either.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 12:52:09 PM »
Never heard of it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 01:05:31 PM »
Apparently it was/is being developed in secret which is why no one has heard of it before. Here's an informative video though I don't know how accurate it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ56UNL5zeo

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 01:52:08 PM »
Yeah, I'm not sure how trustworthy these animation videos can be, as they seem to generalize a very complicated thing and don't provide much reference to the actual treaty to support their case. 

Anyway, after a little more reading, it certainly doesn't seem as dangerous as SOPA or PIPA.  It's basically just giving America and any other country that signs it the authority to pass laws in accordance with its standards.  It's only providing the possibility of abuse for free speech without actually administering it, and it seems to me that we're already trying to pass SOPAs and PIPAs regardless of whether or not they fit in the specifications of an international treaty.  As it is, I can't see it having too much of an effect on our lovely internet by itself, so it's probably being blown out of proportion after all. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 11:55:39 PM »
I plan on ordering some knock-off Jersey's from China next month, this won't be in place to interfere with that will it?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 12:43:26 AM »
I have a real simple idea...don't do illegal stuff and you have nothing to worry about.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 07:29:22 AM »
I am on the fence with this one. A buddy of mine is a crazy football fan. He has jerseys from a few years ago that he paid 150-200 dollars a piece for. Today, he can buy counterfeit ones for 80. These counterfeit jerseys are made of the same materials, and are made in the exact same quality and fashion as the real ones. I know the sports franchise doesn't make money when a counterfeit one is purchased, but maybe they shouldn't charge 200 bucks for a shirt that probably costs them a few dollars to make.

I don't know where I stand, I have to think about it more. On one hand I agree with a lot of things in this agreement, but on the other hand I disagree with a lot of it.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 11:05:49 AM »
I have a real simple idea...don't do illegal stuff and you have nothing to worry about.

Dude, seriously, is this post for real?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 02:05:03 PM »
I plan on ordering some knock-off Jersey's from China next month, this won't be in place to interfere with that will it?

If they're considered a violation of copyright, (not sure how it works for jerseys) it probably will be.  Given the nature of the agreement I'm assuming knock-offs that undercut a product will be a primary target. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 10:19:20 AM »
I get that, my question was whether or not this is in place yet or will be soon.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline TL

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 11:04:52 AM »
ACTA is far worse than SOPA.
One provision of ACTA relates to generic versions of certain pharmaceuticals. With ACTA in place, it would be significantly more difficult and expensive to supply vital medicines to third world countries. With absolutely no hyperbole, ACTA could result in a high number of avoidable deaths.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 07:02:56 PM »
ACTA is far worse than SOPA.
One provision of ACTA relates to generic versions of certain pharmaceuticals. With ACTA in place, it would be significantly more difficult and expensive to supply vital medicines to third world countries. With absolutely no hyperbole, ACTA could result in a high number of avoidable deaths.

Assuming, of course, that those life saving drugs are on a list of those "certain pharmaceuticals." I'm also gonna guess that that provision would apply to pharmaceuticals that are not supposed to be generic, meaning it doesn't apply to the vast majority of drugs and vital medicines we send to third world countries.

And if that's true, it's extremely hyperbolic to say that ACTA could result in a high number of avoidable deaths.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 12:30:43 PM »
I don't know may I post links to FB pages but I'll do it: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Say-NO-To-ACTA/372229332790434?ref=ts
This is new page agains ACTA, join us and share. Thanks.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline jsem

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 11:40:53 AM »
Freedoms continue to erode.