Author Topic: Create my musical profile v. "suggest me some new bands"  (Read 6950 times)

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Create my musical profile v. "suggest me some new bands"
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2011, 05:16:57 PM »
I love me a good avatar quote.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2011, 05:17:45 PM »

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2011, 05:18:13 PM »
I love me a good avatar quote.

Yer welcome.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2011, 05:24:08 PM »
Stop glaring at me  :sadpanda:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2011, 05:25:02 PM »
Bosk - what of our music suggestions?  The natives are restless and avatar quoting...

I have checked out some, and am still going through others.  I shall report back soon.

Well now I know the back-story of that, and I thank you for that.  What type of musics do they like to talk about, compared to us and our forum which is the best?

Pretty much all styles of music, no restriction there.
However, personally I don't really like the place.
Most of the posts/posters just go all out to insult others, as stated earlier many replies are just quoting avatars, and if someone starts a serious thread to appreciate a band, it is soon derailed by people posting pictures and such.
It's like a forum of 10 year olds, except most people are adults. :P

Not all the time. They can actually be great people and have good conversations.

And avatar-quoting is great, but some people act like it's some bad thing.

I don't think it is a bad thing, but I have never understood what it is supposed to mean, so I don't find it funny.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2011, 05:27:08 PM »
Stop glaring at me  :sadpanda:

Um, that's a mirror that yer glarin at, Goth buddy.  Now please back away from it before it becomes a 5 major subplot that proceeds to kind of dominate the next 5 movies.  

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2011, 05:46:09 PM »
I don't think it is a bad thing, but I have never understood what it is supposed to mean, so I don't find it funny.

They're supposed to convey emotions in response to a post, kind of like emoticons. And like emoticons, they have to be used properly to make sense.

For example, if I quoted your avatar

It would make no sense in this context. However, if I quoted Zander's

It could be interpreted as "I'm slightly offended and surprised at your lack of understanding concerning avatar quoting."

Actually, Zander's can work in pretty much every situation when a post isn't completely positive. It's quite versatile.

But like I said, they have to make sense to be funny, and most of the time they don't, so...yeah.

Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2011, 06:54:21 PM »
Well now I know the back-story of that, and I thank you for that.  What type of musics do they like to talk about, compared to us and our forum which is the best?

Most of the posts/posters just go all out to insult others, as stated earlier many replies are just quoting avatars, and if someone starts a serious thread to appreciate a band, it is soon derailed by people posting pictures and such.

Not all the time. They can actually be great people and have good conversations.

And avatar-quoting is great, but some people act like it's some bad thing.

usually the avatar should give some meaningful emotive response (and it may also mock the user you are avatar quoting in a fun kind of way).

I've been avatar quoted at 5/8 with my spinning 4-D cube avatar after making some comment about the shape of some object, and it was a perfect avatar quote, because the cube is a shape and I was the one making the comment. I find that it works best as read the conversation as flowing along.

And there, broken down to some sort of explanation, thereby taking away some of its appeal.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2011, 07:17:39 PM »
Well now I know the back-story of that, and I thank you for that.  What type of musics do they like to talk about, compared to us and our forum which is the best?

So, in other words, it's like if DTF was populated by a bunch of immature, douchey people?

:-X

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2011, 07:18:59 PM »
:lol

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2011, 07:26:34 PM »
It's basically DTF filled with people like me.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2011, 07:28:45 PM »
Awesome!!  Did you check out a few other songs on Youtube?  And did you buy the remasters with the 4 extra songs.

Normal cd - 12 songs
Remaster - 16 songs

I bought the original version used.  I didn't want a remastered version.  I heard a few other songs from it on youtube and really liked them.  I love 90s rock.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2011, 08:10:47 PM »
For the record, Ryan face-palmed my Evergrey motivational poster, which I didn't think deserved a face-palm.  Yet, I could not formulate a witty rebuttal, so I just quoted his avatar.  It was like a Kevin Moore reaction: "I know I should come up with some clever retort or just ignore it, but I've got his avatar and a 'post' button, so what the fuck?"

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2011, 08:16:54 PM »
I cant see any situation where someone quoting my avatar would bring the chuckles.

Also check out The Low Anthem because they write absolutely beautiful music. "Charlie Darwin".

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2011, 08:21:05 PM »
I cant see any situation where someone quoting my avatar would bring the chuckles.

Also check out The Low Anthem because they write absolutely beautiful music. "Charlie Darwin".

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=23739.msg970657#msg970657

Yer welcome

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #85 on: July 21, 2011, 08:32:46 PM »

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=23739.msg970657#msg970657

Yer welcome
I smiled in light amusement but did not chuckle.  Close, Master S, very close.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: July 21, 2011, 08:40:16 PM »
For the record, Ryan face-palmed my Evergrey motivational poster, which I didn't think deserved a face-palm.  Yet, I could not formulate a witty rebuttal, so I just quoted his avatar.  It was like a Kevin Moore reaction: "I know I should come up with some clever retort or just ignore it, but I've got his avatar and a 'post' button, so what the fuck?"
I facepalmed your Evergrey poster because all of your indie jokes aren't funny at all and they're pretty annoying.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2011, 08:42:12 PM »
I thought it was pretty funny  :-\

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2011, 08:43:54 PM »
If I see that GIF.ORG poster one more time...
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #89 on: July 21, 2011, 08:49:03 PM »
I facepalmed your Evergrey poster because all of your indie jokes aren't funny at all and they're pretty annoying.
I think they're funny, and so do Raven and the Clairbear.  The 'annoying' part I can kinda understood but hence why I wrote that disclaimer in tiny print.  Anyway, I never direct them at you, so I assume you're just tired of seeing them?  What can I say -- I'm just trying to fit in with all the cool kids at school.  You have raised a fair point, though, namely that indie jokes are just so fucking mainstream now.

I've posted it like 3 or 4 times... but for an indie forum I guess that is extreme overexposure!

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: July 21, 2011, 08:50:30 PM »
You have raised a fair point, though, namely that indie jokes are just so fucking mainstream now.

:lol :lol

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2011, 08:51:50 PM »
Okay, that was pretty hilarious. :lol
I AM A GUY

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2011, 08:53:23 PM »
I think they're funny, and so do Raven and the Clairbear.  The 'annoying' part I can kinda understood but hence why I wrote that disclaimer in tiny print.  Anyway, I never direct them at you, so I assume you're just tired of seeing them?  What can I say -- I'm just trying to fit in with all the cool kids at school.  You have raised a fair point, though, namely that indie jokes are just so fucking mainstream now.

I've posted it like 3 or 4 times... but for an indie forum I guess that is extreme overexposure!

:rollin   :heart

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2011, 08:56:15 PM »
letters, everyone hates you

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #94 on: July 21, 2011, 08:56:44 PM »
Yay - now I feel vindicated!  So perhaps we can put aside all of this stuff, since I fear bosk does not want his thread clogged with raging debates over giant indies and avatar-quoting. 

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: July 21, 2011, 08:57:44 PM »
letters, everyone hates you

This thread brought to you by the letter zxlkho.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2011, 08:58:12 PM »
:heart everyone
I AM A GUY

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #97 on: July 21, 2011, 08:58:33 PM »
<3

I mean </3

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #98 on: July 21, 2011, 09:01:06 PM »
Um, you know, um, Jeff Beck has some pretty enjoyable stuff from 1968-80.  Particulary the more fusion oriented Wired and There and Back.  Bosk1 could enjoy. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #99 on: July 23, 2011, 09:30:44 AM »
Awesome!!  Did you check out a few other songs on Youtube?  And did you buy the remasters with the 4 extra songs.

Normal cd - 12 songs
Remaster - 16 songs

I bought the original version used.  I didn't want a remastered version.  I heard a few other songs from it on youtube and really liked them.  I love 90s rock.

Send me a PM of your review.  I'd love to read that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #100 on: July 23, 2011, 08:44:14 PM »
Well this thread certainly went to the crapper...
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: August 01, 2011, 02:06:15 PM »

Normal cd - 12 songs
Remaster - 16 songs

Send me a PM of your review.  I'd love to read that.

I will do that.  I have the CD now but I have not been able to listen to it yet :(.  A cool thing though is that they actually sent me a promo copy from the record company which no one is supposed to have.  So that's kinda cool I guess.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #102 on: August 02, 2011, 08:54:41 AM »
You could try some Astra. They're sort of like early King Crimson mixed with early Pink Floyd, or if you would be open to considering something really different (but still proggy) and be willing to accept music in with mandarin lyrics, check out stuff from Cold Fairyland's album "Seeds On The Ground".Basically, it is progressive rock mixed with chinese classical, and mostly instrumental (or that album is at least, as well as being a mostly accoustic album). I also have their album "live 2005", and some of their frontwoman's solo stuff (all of which I really like), and it's all quite different from album to album (but not incoherently so), but if you're willing to try something like that, give it a go, it's really quite refreshing.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D