Author Topic: Create my musical profile v. "suggest me some new bands"  (Read 6952 times)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: Create my musical profile v. "suggest me some new bands"
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2011, 12:54:57 PM »
I don't have time to read all 30 replies, but has anyone suggested/have you heard Evergrey?  I think they'd be up your alley.  Also, if you like Opeth minus the RORORO, check out Katatonia's Night Is The New Day.  It's the only one I have, but I plan on getting more.  I'll put some more thought into this and come back to it.

yeah, 3 of us did/or +1'd it.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2011, 02:27:37 PM »
Dunno if you're looking mainly for new music, or just anything you might like.  If you're interested in older stuff that you probably missed out on, check out some Tony Martin era Sabbath.  I suspect you'd really like Martin as a singer, and the material was distinctly un-Sabbath-like; the reason most people don't listen to it.  Find a copy of TYR and see what you think.  Great lineup playing some great music that's nowhere near as bleak as what most people associate with Iommi.   

01. Anno Mundi:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xStOwBhImuY
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2011, 03:19:13 PM »
let's see how bad your opinion of lo-fi indie emo is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFAkrf5rclc

That isn't awful...wow.

Offline jsem

Offline T-ski

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2011, 06:40:19 PM »
I still think you'd like that Eden's Curse record with James LaBrie. Had you given it a try?

Also, have you listened to Haken's Aquarius yet? For a fan of DT and Symphony X that goes highly recommended.

Also, bosk, you might like setting up a last.fm account. Once you've scrobbled enough, it starts to give you recommendations based on the stuff you already listen to, which is pretty cool. I found out about a lot of new music that way.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 07:17:49 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2011, 02:08:27 PM »
I'll second Galactic Cowboys.  If you like King's X, you may like GC even more (such was the case for me).  They're heavier, a little more complex, and IMO have even better harmonies:

"You Make Me Smile" https://grooveshark.com/#/s/You+Make+Me+Smile/3FXw4o?src=5

"I Want You" (Kiss cover) https://grooveshark.com/#/s/I+Want+You/3pwl4A?src=5

Now, no idea if you've tried Theocracy before or not, but I feel like you should like them.  They kind of split the difference between progressive and power metal.  Their singer has some of the best pipes out there.  Plus, they have really great Christian lyrics that speak to you without being directly preachy i.e. "you should get saved!"  

"On Eagles' Wings" (the single from last album) https://grooveshark.com/#/s/On+Eagles+Wings/3AtGBm?src=5

"Laying The Demon To Rest" (Contender for longest opening note ever.  Great thrash but also with an EPIC chorus of ethereal harmonies!) https://grooveshark.com/#/s/Laying+The+Demon+To+Rest/3AtKz6?src=5

Offline Iarwain

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2011, 04:09:18 PM »
Maybe try Coroner. They play technical thrash metal. The vocals are a bit "screamy" but they're not growls and musically they're very good.

https://grooveshark.com/#/s/Read+My+Scars/xYvm6?src=5

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2011, 04:12:17 PM »
Shall I suggest Voivod?

Dimension Hatross, Killing Technology, and Nothingface essentially sound like a very thrashy, punk-like Hawkwind. 

Plus, their Pink Floyd and King Crimson covers are amazing.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2011, 04:16:34 PM »
Deicide is some great, Christian death metal.

I'd also recommend Floater as some great, dreamy art rock.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2011, 04:29:38 PM »
Top 5 band for me and this song is from my favorite album, El Subliminoso from the band Dada and the songs name is Rise.  Two singers in the band 3 part harmonies and catchy as hell.  This is one of their rocking tunes and they have a very good variety in styles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLpBFEMg3s4
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Pinga

« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2011, 04:59:57 PM »
Do you want only rock/hard rock/metal recommendations?

Offline Ħ

"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2011, 03:24:39 AM »
Deicide is some great, Christian death metal.

Absolutely!
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline jsem

« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2011, 04:03:10 AM »
I read through the OP, and while I don't think there is a whole lot of shared musical preference between you and I, I think I could see you enjoying Evergrey.  It is progressive metal in a borderline generic sense, but it's very well written and enjoyable.  Really nice vocals too.  I'm picking up from the mention of Redemption, Dream Theater, and Symphony X that this could possibly be something that you'd enjoy.  Besides them I can't really think of anything in my favorites that would make sense as a recommendation to you, so I'm going with this!  If you're interested, "In Search of Truth" is definitely the album to get in my opinion.

https://grooveshark.com/#/s/The+Masterplan/2vbzz7?src=5
I'll second Evergrey. They're filled with emotion and passion.
Ok, now I've finally checked out Evergrey myself now - because it's prog metal that even the Giant Indie kids like. I listened to In Search of Truth. Much better than most prog metal. I agree that it's borderline generic too, but it doesn't bother me like it does with a hundred other bands in the over-populated prog metal scene...

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2011, 11:24:29 AM »
Ok, now I've finally checked out Evergrey myself now - because it's prog metal that even the Giant Indie kids like.

What has this forum come to when we let the giant indies decide for us which prog metal is acceptable to listen to?

I actually have nothing against the indies.  I like some of the music myself, and the indies on the forum are some of my fave posters.  I just think it's a fun joke to mess around with.  So no angry emails from any of you ignorant indies who don't know where I really stand.  Not that you'd email me anyway; you'd probably contact me using some underground communications device no one else has heard of.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 11:30:42 AM by contest_sanity »

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2011, 11:26:36 AM »
 :facepalm:
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline jsem

« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2011, 04:02:03 PM »
Please. This isn't 5/8.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2011, 04:15:42 PM »
Please yourself. Avatar quoting can be funny when done right.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2011, 04:16:47 PM »
Please. This isn't 5/8.

What is 5/8?  Aside from a really fun-to-jam-on time sig

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2011, 04:17:52 PM »
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2011, 04:20:49 PM »
Please. This isn't 5/8.

https://www.fiveeightforums.com/

Okay.  And what is their specialty/gimmick?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2011, 04:28:03 PM »

Fucking this.

Please. This isn't 5/8.

They like to quote avatars as a picture response.  A lot of times they aren't very funny and do it for...some reason, I dunno.  Whenever someone does it here, regardless of whether it actually works as a response or if its funny, there's always someone who tells you to knock it off because this isn't 5/8. 

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2011, 04:28:54 PM »
Bosk - what of our music suggestions?  The natives are restless and avatar quoting...

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2011, 04:29:38 PM »

Fucking this.

Please. This isn't 5/8.

They like to quote avatars as a picture response.  A lot of times they aren't very funny and do it for...some reason, I dunno.  Whenever someone does it here, regardless of whether it actually works as a response or if its funny, there's always someone who tells you to knock it off because this isn't 5/8. 
Well now I know the back-story of that, and I thank you for that.  What type of musics do they like to talk about, compared to us and our forum which is the best?

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2011, 04:32:11 PM »
Top 5 band for me and this song is from my favorite album, El Subliminoso from the band Dada and the songs name is Rise.  Two singers in the band 3 part harmonies and catchy as hell.  This is one of their rocking tunes and they have a very good variety in styles.

Yo I really like this stuff!  Thanks for that!
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2011, 04:39:50 PM »
Well now I know the back-story of that, and I thank you for that.  What type of musics do they like to talk about, compared to us and our forum which is the best?

Pretty much all styles of music, no restriction there.
However, personally I don't really like the place.
Most of the posts/posters just go all out to insult others, as stated earlier many replies are just quoting avatars, and if someone starts a serious thread to appreciate a band, it is soon derailed by people posting pictures and such.
It's like a forum of 10 year olds, except most people are adults. :P

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2011, 04:42:43 PM »

Most of the posts/posters just go all out to insult others, as stated earlier many replies are just quoting avatars, and if someone starts a serious thread to appreciate a band, it is soon derailed by people posting pictures and such.

So, in other words, it's like if DTF was populated by a bunch of immature, douchey people?

Offline jsem

« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2011, 04:45:58 PM »
Go find out for yourself. A lot of times I just laugh endlessly lurking there.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2011, 04:53:49 PM »

Glad to turn anybody on to Dada!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2011, 04:58:18 PM »

Glad to turn anybody on to Dada!!

Yeah man I just bought the CD.  Can't wait till it gets here!
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2011, 05:04:03 PM »
Awesome!!  Did you check out a few other songs on Youtube?  And did you buy the remasters with the 4 extra songs.

Normal cd - 12 songs
Remaster - 16 songs

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2011, 05:05:07 PM »
Go find out for yourself. A lot of times I just laugh endlessly lurking there.

Well, let's see, I checked out a thread about cover songs better than the originals and like the 2nd or 3rd post said Limp Biscuit's cover of Behind Blue Eyes.   :lol

Also, on topic, if bosk's open to jazz fusion, he should definitely check out Weather Report's I Sing The Body Electric.  Some of the most dissident, weird, atmospheric music out there from 1972.  

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2011, 05:14:20 PM »
Well now I know the back-story of that, and I thank you for that.  What type of musics do they like to talk about, compared to us and our forum which is the best?

Not all the time. They can actually be great people and have good conversations.

And avatar-quoting is great, but some people act like it's some bad thing.