Author Topic: Create my musical profile v. "suggest me some new bands"  (Read 6951 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Create my musical profile v. "suggest me some new bands"
« on: July 18, 2011, 08:37:50 PM »
I've had the urge lately to check out some new bands that are mentoined often on the board.  But after doing so, I have mostly been left feeling like, "Yeah, I see the talent, but they just don't appeal to me."  Here's some relevant background:

1.  Musical influences:  My first rock album (and album at all) was by Queen back in 1979 or 1980, I think.  Good start, no?  I got into '80s rock pretty deeply.  Bands like Def Leppard, Scorpions, Whitesnake, etc.  Mindcrime and Empire sealed me as a diehard Queensryche fan, and I gradually began to expand out to music that was a little different from the standard '80s hard rock formula.  I kind of grew into some alternative stuff, like RHCP's, Pearl Jam, and AiC.  Grew to love Pink Floyd.  Grew to like some heavier thrash with Metallica, Megadeth, a bit of Testament here and there, and Flotsam & Jetsam.  Although I listened to DT since I&W, I didn't really become a hardcore DT fan until 1999.  Since then, I've expanded into some modern prog rock, including Neal Morse and Transatlantic.  Not really a power metal fan, but I like a lot of Symphony X.  Got into some female fronted metal bands like Nightwish, Within Temptation, Lacuna Coil, and Epica, but haven't really found others I like.

2.  Musical dislikes:  In general, I don't like '60s or '70s rock, with a few exceptions, although some of it is lately starting to grow on me.  I tend not to like screamy or growls in general, but they can work well in limited use (I like Static Impulse, for example; I also like the male vocals in connjunction with Simone's in Epica).  I haven't really liked any of the "early" prog I've heard from this era either.  I don't like bands with satanic lyrics or lyrics that are very anti-God an any sense.  For example, I love, love, LOVE Epica's sound.  But their very anti-religious messages really take away any enjoyment I might have, so I rarely listen to them anymore. 

3.  Stuff I've listened to fairly recently that didn't click:  Peter Wildoer is such a standup guy and great musician that I really tried getting into Darkane.  From some of the songs I found on YouTube, it just doesn't work for me.  Too screamy or something.  Tried Trivium.  Kinda the same (although I'm not sure I'm ready to write them off just yet as there were things I did like about their sound--need to hear more).  Unexpect--just...what?  Maybe I just don't get them.  I like complex music, but they are just so chaotic that I don't find anything to latch onto.  And the male vocals.  I've also listened to a few power metal bands that people have suggested, but...I dunno.  I feel like, given my musical tastes, I should like them.  But I just don't.  Firewind, for instance.  Good band, but they do nothing for me whatsoever.

4.  Most listened to on iTunes lately:  Transatlantic, Redemption, Dream Theater, I see a couple of Epica, Symphony X, and Slash songs high up the list, some Nightwish, Lacuna Coil, Within Temptation, and Neal Morse just below that...

I know this is definitely a tl;dnr post for many of you.  But so many of the "recommend me some music" threads start off with a ton of questions about what the person likes that I thought I'd throw a few bones out there.  So, fire away.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Create my musical profile v. "suggest me some new bands"
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 08:40:20 PM »
I'd say check out KrotchRaut. They seem to be right up your alley.

tl;dr version: I didn't read your post because it was too long.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 08:41:59 PM »
 :\  DammitZook...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 08:43:21 PM »
Check out Explorers Club if you haven't already.   They seem up your alley.  A good song is Fate Speaks.

And I don't get Unexpect either.  :lol
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 08:54:49 PM »
dredg
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 08:56:18 PM »
I suggest the Galactic Cowboys, King's X, or Primus.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 08:59:05 PM »
Tetrafusion is a great Progressive metal band that more people need to listen to. Would definitely recommend them to anyone who likes DT.

Monolouge
Dark Matter

Their first album is one of my favorite instrumental albums ever and their second one now has vocals. Gary's voice is kind of different but it fits their music so well.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 09:02:03 PM »
Mastodon - Crack The Skye
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 09:06:21 PM »
Just a few recommendations from me. I went through my library and tried to pick out some artists I think you might be able to dig.

VAST. Alternative rock with gorgeous melodies and atmospherics, as well as some very soft acoustic stuff. I highly recommend the first 3 albums - Visual Audio Sensory Theater, Music for People, and Nude.

https://grooveshark.com/#/s/Here/1Wq14i?src=5

Dredg. Insanely catchy alternative rock with a bit of a prog edge and experimentation, and good lyrics, too.

https://grooveshark.com/#/s/Bug+Eyes/dLXQ?src=5

Anathema. Atmospheric and progressive and very melancholic rock. Depressing, but still very beautiful.

https://grooveshark.com/#/s/06+one+Last+Goodbye/3LIfZJ?src=5

Not sure if you're interested at all in the 80s goth scene (Depeche Mode, The Cure, etc), but if you are, I have some recommendations for those as well.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 09:10:30 PM »
Sorry boss, I don't think my bands come close to your profile, not that I have too many.  In my circles, DT is obscure.   :P

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 09:12:09 PM »
Fair to Midland.  Either Arrows & Anchors or Fables From a Mayfly will do.  They're probably one of the best progressive metal bands.  Now when I say progressive, I mean they're doing stuff I haven't heard anywhere else in modern rock.  They have all these flourishes of prog rock and art rock but with the heaviness and adrenaline of metal.
Yes.  Get Fragile.  I think it would be more to your liking than my two personal favorites.  My favorite "old prog" act not counting Pink Floyd.
Coheed & Cambria.  I think Good Apollo Vol 1 would be better than my personal favorite as well.  If you can listen to Geoff Tate I don't want to hear any lip about Claudio Sanchez.  Fantastic musicians and songwriters.  Just remember, if they mention "God" at any time in the lyrics they're not actually referring to the God you believe in.  Their God is actually the person writing the sci-fi story that all the characters inhabit and...well just listen to it and eventually you'll get the idea of the concept.  ;D

Nic35: I love CTS and Mastodon in general, but if he doesn't like growly vocals he's not going to like Mastodon's AT ALL.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 09:16:13 PM »
I suggest the Galactic Cowboys, King's X, or Primus.

Haven't heard Galactic Cowbody, but have been meaning to check them out.  I like King's X, but in doses.  I tend to get into moods where I want to listen to little else but them, and then I burn out and don't want to listen to them for months.  I've never really liked Primus.  Good musicians, but not my style.

Have no checked out Dredg.  Links to songs on YouTube (or at least names of songs) would be helpful.

Glau, I don't know any of those.  Again, where do I start?  Gimme links or at least song names.

I've been meaning to check out Mastodon more.  Songs I've sampled have been hit and miss, but there has been at least enough for me to want to pick up an album.  I'll probably start with Crack The Skye unless I end up not picking anything up from them until the new album is out, in which case I'll start with that.

@Ravenheart:  Good suggestions.  You obviously put time and thought into it based on my post.  I'll check those out.  Thanks.  AS for '80s goth, I grew up in that era and like some.  I liked Depeche Mode a lot, but eventually grew away from them.  Don't like The Cure.  For now, I'm mostly interested in heavier stuff.

@SDN:  Haven't heard Fair to Midland.  I checked out Coheed, and, yeah, the vocals...  I won't write them off jsut yet, but I just didn't like their sound too much.  And as far as the growly vocals, I didn't say I don't like them at all.  It just depends on how they fit into the song.  Like I said, for example, I think they are "okay" on James' album, work well on Epica's stuff, and as far as I can remember, sounded alright in the Mastodon clips I checked out.  Being honest about my tastes, I would say me liking them is probably the exception rather than the rule, but there are situations where I definitely liked them.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 09:17:40 PM »
Fates Warning
Genesis (Peter Gabriel Era)

Not sure if you've heard much FW though.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 09:18:02 PM »
Glau, I don't know any of those.  Again, where do I start?  Gimme links or at least song names.

There are links in my post?
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 09:19:13 PM »
Fair to Midland-Musical Chairs.  Single from the new album.  It is AMAZINGLY good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsDJih0yYgk

Also, look up "The Wife, The Kids, and the White Picket Fence" on grooveshark.  Lots of people consider it their favorite song from what I can tell.

And if you're fine with mastodon's vocals get Crack the Skye post haste.

Offline JosephAOI

• DTF's resident Jewish Ninja
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 09:25:24 PM »
Out of the blue recommendations!

Protest The Hero! Progressive shredding Metal with high range vocalist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWig9FwqWpk&feature=relmfu

The Mars Volta! Prog rock with Latin, blues, jazz, etc. influences
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUBQLnEGHNk

Cynic! Chill, Progressive rock/metal?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNGCJzPzAp0

Eyes Set To Kill! Excellent female-fronted hardcore?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4jL5ZhYl6o

Karnivool! Awesome chill prog rock?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18SUFbABxNQ

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 09:26:18 PM »
And if you're fine with mastodon's vocals get Crack the Skye post haste.

Technically, doesn't that mean getting it after hurring?  So if I hurry to get it, I can't get it until I am done hurrying, which won't happen because I am supposed to be in a hurry to get it, so -- *headasplode!*

@Glau:  Sorry.  Didn't notice.  Will check out.

@carl320:  Good pick up, since I mentioned Redemption.  I have tried and tried and tried again to get Fates Warning, and I just don't like them outside a few select songs.  I love Redemption.  And I love what I've heard of Arch/Matheos.  But something about Fates just never seems to work for me (although I did like X).  

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 09:26:38 PM »
Bosk, you need to hear Frost*. Amazing poppy prog rock sorta stuff. Just listen:

"Hyperventilate" - https://grooveshark.com/s/Hyperventilate/2k3ppP?src=5

"The Other Me" - https://grooveshark.com/s/The+Other+Me/2k3oLY?src=5

"Black Light Machine" - https://grooveshark.com/s/Black+Light+Machine/2k3olk?src=5

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2011, 09:29:31 PM »
What Unexpect album have you heard? IaFA or Fables? IaFA is much more chaotic than the later and Fables happen to be the best thing they've done.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2011, 09:35:02 PM »
let's see how bad your opinion of lo-fi indie emo is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFAkrf5rclc

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2011, 09:38:09 PM »
let's see how bad your opinion of lo-fi indie emo is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFAkrf5rclc

Reminds me of Rebecca Black.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2011, 09:38:35 PM »
I read through the OP, and while I don't think there is a whole lot of shared musical preference between you and I, I think I could see you enjoying Evergrey.  It is progressive metal in a borderline generic sense, but it's very well written and enjoyable.  Really nice vocals too.  I'm picking up from the mention of Redemption, Dream Theater, and Symphony X that this could possibly be something that you'd enjoy.  Besides them I can't really think of anything in my favorites that would make sense as a recommendation to you, so I'm going with this!  If you're interested, "In Search of Truth" is definitely the album to get in my opinion.

https://grooveshark.com/#/s/The+Masterplan/2vbzz7?src=5

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2011, 09:40:16 PM »
I read through the OP, and while I don't think there is a whole lot of shared musical preference between you and I, I think I could see you enjoying Evergrey.  It is progressive metal in a borderline generic sense, but it's very well written and enjoyable.  Really nice vocals too.  I'm picking up from the mention of Redemption, Dream Theater, and Symphony X that this could possibly be something that you'd enjoy.  Besides them I can't really think of anything in my favorites that would make sense as a recommendation to you, so I'm going with this!  If you're interested, "In Search of Truth" is definitely the album to get in my opinion.

I'll second Evergrey. They're filled with emotion and passion.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2011, 09:46:20 PM »

yes yes you have proved your shittiness tenfold, are there any other takers don't be shy

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2011, 09:47:48 PM »
Fair to Midland-Musical Chairs.  Single from the new album.  It is AMAZINGLY good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsDJih0yYgk
WOW. That is amazing, just bought the album  :metal

Offline Ħ

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2011, 10:08:34 PM »
Bosk, you need to hear Frost*. Amazing poppy prog rock sorta stuff. Just listen:

"Hyperventilate" - https://grooveshark.com/s/Hyperventilate/2k3ppP?src=5
this this this
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2011, 10:36:51 PM »
Shadow Gallery
Magic Pie
Ayreon
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline jsem

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2011, 02:49:42 AM »
Bosk, have you heard Haken yet?

edit:
They only have one album, Aquarius - and the songs are pretty long but whatever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIT_jaMRhBU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFJ6AYHzkWU

This one contains a bit of growling or whatever it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juQUUGylu1Y

« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 11:01:37 AM by jsem »

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2011, 06:01:49 AM »

I recomended them to him, I think Nick did too.

Guys.
He's a lazy turd...you have to give him working youtube links to everything he won't go digging on your suggestions now matter how good they are.

;)

Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2011, 06:38:00 AM »

This, except get Recreation Day.

Here is the title track from RD: https://grooveshark.com/s/Recreation+Day/33npqh?src=5

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2011, 06:55:39 AM »
bosk1, I know your cloth is cut from the 80's but the kids did turn me onto Karnivool and I've got to say I love the dynamics of this band and the singer has a great voice.

Check out Anything from Sound Awake.

Links to a few songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lRc3eAtWNM        --  New Day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA05U0_S2y8        --  Umbra
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2011, 07:01:13 AM »
I only have two suggestions.  One which I've made before - Paul Gilbert's solo stuff.  You loved his solo in "The Door", so I have no doubt you'll like his solo stuff.  He does some rocking tunes, some poppy tunes, some completely WTF tunes (his cover of Spice Girls' "2 Become 1", for example).  Here's one of my favorites, a full on rocker, called "Bliss".  I know Y&T called their latest album "Facemelter", but that's what I call this guitar solo.  If you don't have to pick your jaw up off the floor after this guitar solo (hell, after the whole song), then you clearly didn't listen to it right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1swrG-Pcx2Q

King of Clubs, Flying Dog, Alligator Farm, and Burning Organ are all fantastic albums.

Second, a band called ZO2.  I've mentioned them several times around here but I should be talking about them a lot more.  They're a 3-piece from Brooklyn, who describe their sound as "classic rock with a modern treatment".  They have 3 albums out right now, but they're all worth it, to me.  The singer, Paulie Z used to play the part of Paul in a Kiss Tribute.  The bassist David Z (Paulie's brother) is a member of TSO's esat coast band.  Drummer Joey Cassata used to be a member of the Blue Man Group.  Now they just make kick ass music.  Here's one of my favorites, a song that's likely to get you a speeding ticket - Red Line Highway (link shows the album cover briefly at the beginning, which is slightly questionable FW, but really not that bad).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNjmlLDtPs0

Plenty of other great examples I can send you, PM me if you want more.  Also, about a year ago, they opened for DT in Buffalo.  MP sat in with them on a cover of Tom Sawyer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AWrD89S0ww
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 07:13:06 AM by Sir GuitarCozmo »

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2011, 10:46:29 AM »
I don't have time to read all 30 replies, but has anyone suggested/have you heard Evergrey?  I think they'd be up your alley.  Also, if you like Opeth minus the RORORO, check out Katatonia's Night Is The New Day.  It's the only one I have, but I plan on getting more.  I'll put some more thought into this and come back to it.

Offline jsem

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2011, 11:02:00 AM »

I recomended them to him, I think Nick did too.

Guys.
He's a lazy turd...you have to give him working youtube links to everything he won't go digging on your suggestions now matter how good they are.

;)

I edited my first post, added a few youtube links.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2011, 12:52:34 PM »

yes yes you have proved your shittiness tenfold, are there any other takers don't be shy

Reported for bad taste.