Author Topic: An interesting meta-ethical question brought up in a class I'm taking...  (Read 5779 times)

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
So, over the summer, I'm taking a philosophy 101 class. My teacher isn't really a teacher, per se, and believes that philosophy should not be taught, rather a classroom should be an open forum with certain discussion topics. Now, we got off on some weird tangent and an interesting thing came up.

If one wanted to perscribe to the belief that it is immoral to kill because God says it is, this means one of 2 things. One, God is being completely arbitrary in which case, there's really no point in following the rules of some arbitrary omniscient deity. Plus, God does not seem to be an arbitrary figure. However, if God has a reason for telling his followers to not kill, God needs to be perscribing to some belief that is even beyond his power. If that is the case, what is this power?

Interesting stuff, huh?

This is not a crack at God, and I'm actually looking forward more to the answers from religious people rather than the nontheists on this one.

Offline Ħ

I believe that morals come from God and he makes the rules, not that there are rules above him.  My views are subject to change, though.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
That's exactly the point though. Where is God coming from to make the rules? It doesn't seem like he's the type of figure to say, "Hmm...murder? Wrong. Rape? Wrong. Helping an old lady cross the street? Right." And if that's the case, where is he getting his ideas of right and wrong?

Offline Ħ

Is it okay to say that I don't know?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Perfectly acceptable answer, I guess. Granted, in a philosophical debate (which this isn't, more of a discussion) it really won't hold up.

But I agree. I have no clue. Granted, I don't believe in god, so it kind of negates this entire thing, but I am very interested in the answers of the religious folk.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
I assume that god's morals are self generated. It's really no different that asking why he created the universe or has done any of the things he has. If you're taking the position that there is some being out there capable of creating reality, assuming he has the ability to form moral systems out of nothing is hardly a large leap in logic IMO.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Ħ

Granted, in a philosophical debate (which this isn't, more of a discussion) it really won't hold up.
What honestly does?  :lol

With or without God, I can't find a way to construct an absolutely perfect argument for objective morals either way.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
There are no objective morals?

Offline Ħ

I believe there are because I trust God, but I can't think of a way to come up with them through my own logic.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
I believe there are because I trust God, but I can't think of a way to come up with them through my own logic.

This makes no sense to me.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
To reword H's post in my own terms, I think he is saying "God is the source of what is objectively moral; something is objectively moral because God says so."  Which I would agree with. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ħ

How so?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member

I guess that is ok.

Oh, and from a philosophical standpoint, one can argue anything, whether right or wrong, a "valid argument" consists of a certain number of "premises" that support a "conclusion."

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
To reword H's post in my own terms, I think he is saying "God is the source of what is objectively moral; something is objectively moral because God says so."  Which I would agree with. 

But if God is the source of what is objectively moral, is he being arbitrary.

I understand this is pretty much socratic discussion at its best and nothing we say or do will prove to be the "better" argument. I'm just curious.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
To reword H's post in my own terms, I think he is saying "God is the source of what is objectively moral; something is objectively moral because God says so."  Which I would agree with.  

But if God is the source of what is objectively moral, is he being arbitrary.

Only if your philosophical paradigm does not allow for a single source of absolute, objective morality.  But, IMO, such a paradigm is useless because it requires an infinite layer of increasingly authoritative sources of absolute morality that ultimately approach, but never achieve, true objective morality, correct?  In other words, as far as we mortals are concerned, things are moral because God says so.  But then God had to have gotten that from somewhere outside himself, which we will call "God Level 2."  But then God Level 2 must have gotten it from somewhere outside itself, and so on and so on.  But then again, maybe I just inadvertently correctly described the unlimited omnipotence of God of that infinate number of layers of increasingly authoritative sources of absolute morality reside in one being, which is God.

Do I win now?  ;)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
There is no winner, however:

In other words, as far as we mortals are concerned, things are moral because God says so.  But then God had to have gotten that from somewhere outside himself, which we will call "God Level 2."  But then God Level 2 must have gotten it from somewhere outside itself, and so on and so on.

This is what I'm getting at. I mean, you can say God is omnipotent and it negates everything, which I guess is a valid argument, but the one thing I've always dug about the subject is the ability to say "...and then...and then...and then...and then?"

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Why does the issue need to be pressed further by saying "and then?"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
There is no winner, however:

In other words, as far as we mortals are concerned, things are moral because God says so.  But then God had to have gotten that from somewhere outside himself, which we will call "God Level 2."  But then God Level 2 must have gotten it from somewhere outside itself, and so on and so on.

This is what I'm getting at. I mean, you can say God is omnipotent and it negates everything, which I guess is a valid argument, but the one thing I've always dug about the subject is the ability to say "...and then...and then...and then...and then?"
I get what you are getting at, which is cool.  In a sense, as I pointed out, that paradigm is inconsistent with Christianity.  But in a sense, it also sort of embodies a description of God.  Fascinating...

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Why does the issue need to be pressed further by saying "and then?"

I'm not saying this issue, but everything really.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand

How so?

Bosk summed it up for me. I don't agree. In fact, that way of thinking to me is redonkulous.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
The problem with the question Cole is a few assumptions.

1. It negates the idea that if there is a god, that it based morality upon logic....which is neither above nor beneath it.
2. It holds the same creation problem of what begot what.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
I tend to believe that God's morals are rooted in his nature...for example, he is love, therefore anything contrary to love (murder, rape, etc) is immoral (or contrary to his character)

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member

1. It negates the idea that if there is a god, that it based morality upon logic....which is neither above nor beneath it.

I totally understand issue #2, and it will be an issue for as long as questions liked these are discussed, but regarding issue #1, what exactly is "logical" about morality? I can logically argue that killing an innocent man is the "right" thing to do. I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing, I'm merely asking your opinion.

Offline Adami

I tend to believe that God's morals are rooted in his nature...for example, he is love, therefore anything contrary to love (murder, rape, etc) is immoral (or contrary to his character)

To be fair, the new testament would then send the message that it's cool to knock up married chicks and kill your kids as long as it's for a good cause.

I totally understand issue #2, and it will be an issue for as long as questions liked these are discussed, but regarding issue #1, what exactly is "logical" about morality? I can logically argue that killing an innocent man is the "right" thing to do. I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing, I'm merely asking your opinion.

Depends on what moral. For instance you need to have an ultimate goal that morality is serving, in humanities case the ultimate goal would simply be survival. Killing is then immoral because it does not allow for survival. And so forth.

Now there's plenty of "morals" in the bible that have no basis in logic.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
But I can argue that killing one, gives that life source's food to the rest of the world, promoting life, can't I?

Offline Adami

But I can argue that killing one, gives that life source's food to the rest of the world, promoting life, can't I?

Nope, because survival of the species rests on multiple people living. If you kill someone for their property, then you can kill everyone for their property until you are left alone and the species goes extinct. Also, there's a reciprication factor. For instance, I do not want to be punched in the face....so I will not punch others in the face. Same here.

You could argue that there are benefits to anything, but the presence of benefits doesn't logically make it a good thing to do because the consequences are being ignored.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline j

So, over the summer, I'm taking a philosophy 101 class. My teacher isn't really a teacher, per se, and believes that philosophy should not be taught, rather a classroom should be an open forum with certain discussion topics.

Lol, I think Philosophy 101 must be the same across the entire country. :lol

-J

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
To be fair, the new testament would then send the message that it's cool to knock up married chicks and kill your kids as long as it's for a good cause.

There is nothing "fair" about this statement at all.

Offline Adami

There is nothing "fair" about this statement at all.

Fairness in showing another side to his statement. I'm not saying that's the message the bible is sending, but he said morality is derived from gods character, and as far as I know...god did those things in the bible.

I was just pointing out that unfortunately in the case of a god, it seems to be more "do as I say not as I do". I have no emotional and personal stake in this so don't take what I say personally, I am merely pointing out what I feel to be flaws in logic.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 02:02:17 AM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh, ok. I get what you mean.

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
oh, i gotcha too

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
So, over the summer, I'm taking a philosophy 101 class. My teacher isn't really a teacher, per se, and believes that philosophy should not be taught, rather a classroom should be an open forum with certain discussion topics.

Lol, I think Philosophy 101 must be the same across the entire country. :lol

-J

Huh.  My philo-101 teacher actually taught a fairly normal class (and pretty well). 

I asked a very similar question in that class, which was,  what gives God the right?  Alas, the answer there was just as weak and arbitrary. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • şağ besta sem guğ hefur skapağ er nır dagur
what gives God the right?
I don't think it's about right, more like do this and you get into heaven, which I created. You know, if you want to.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline ehra

One, God is being completely arbitrary in which case, there's really no point in following the rules of some arbitrary omniscient deity.

Why not?

This question could just as easily be about humans as it could be about God, and if someone said there was no point in following the arbitrary rules of human society then people would be quick to point out how that particular line of thinking only works if you don't mind being socially shunned or worse. Why is it any different when talking about a being that's higher up the chain?

I'd also question what's so negative about God's rules being "arbitrary" to begin with. I can see why it'd be negative when talking about humans due to our limited knowledge and how difficult it'd be to have a coherent set of social rules that followed everyone's own personal views, but not when talking about an "omniscient deity" that, by definition, has more knowledge of the consequences of our actions than we do. Something being arbitrary would, realistically, only be "bad" if that something had the potential to be incorrect.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
what gives God the right?  

Nothing other than a "might makes right" scenario.