Author Topic: Different Drum woods?  (Read 1361 times)

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
Different Drum woods?
« on: August 07, 2011, 10:16:05 PM »
How odd would a maple tom set up with birch toms? i would assume there wouldnt be to much of a difference if theyre tuned well..

Offline latvianxave8

• Thou shalt not suck
  • Dethklok is the shit
Re: Different Drum woods?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 01:25:28 AM »
I'm going strictly off of my guitar knowledge here, but if drums are anything like guitar, the tone wood has almost no noticeable effect on the tone.

You would have to have a very good ear to tell the difference between mahogany, basswood, and alder. And I am almost positive no one would 100% a blind-fold test on these woods. As for birch vs maple, i dunno, but I assume the same applies.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 12:21:38 PM »
I'm going strictly off of my guitar knowledge here, but if drums are anything like guitar, the tone wood has almost no noticeable effect on the tone.

You would have to have a very good ear to tell the difference between mahogany, basswood, and alder. And I am almost positive no one would 100% a blind-fold test on these woods. As for birch vs maple, i dunno, but I assume the same applies.

Drums are not like guitars.

Woods matter, however I am not sure what the OP is even asking.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 12:40:28 PM »

Thank you.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 01:09:13 PM »

Thank you.

See, if you had just added my name to that and said "thank you Adami", then I could have sig'd it. Damn.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 01:16:40 PM »
Wow I don't even know Wtf I tried to type haha. Anywho, the question I was trying to ask is if I put toms together with different woods, would it be very noticeable ? Or no?

Offline latvianxave8

• Thou shalt not suck
  • Dethklok is the shit
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 01:20:18 PM »
Wow I don't even know Wtf I tried to type haha. Anywho, the question I was trying to ask is if I put toms together with different woods, would it be very noticeable ? Or no?

Oh, he means like having 2 birch toms and one maple tom, or something like that.

I have no idea but I doubt it matters.

Online Adami

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 01:29:23 PM »

Depends on the style of music and the heads you have on them. Birch is going to have a bit more attack, while Maple will carry more tone to it. So if you have thicker heads on the birch and thinner heads on the maple, it might even out a bit more. It also matters who makes them. Are pearl? Tama? Mapex? DW? Gretch?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 01:45:19 PM »
I just can't emphasize enough how relieved I am that we have Adami here to help us with our wood.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 02:59:16 PM »
I have a tama superstar kit, and ive been trying to find toms for sale for them in the correct or even a remotely close color. failing, needless to say. and i found some starclassic maple toms with pretty much the same color and correct sizes. so i wanted to invest in maybe a 8 and 10 inch mounted tom. but those are maple and the rest of my kit is birch.

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 06:12:58 PM »
With an 8 inch tom i dont think it will make much of a difference. I have a maple and a poplar set, the maple set has more attack and punch then my poplar set, however the poplar set has much better tone and sustain.