Author Topic: Indecisive: 6 or 7 string JPMM?  (Read 2628 times)

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
Indecisive: 6 or 7 string JPMM?
« on: April 26, 2011, 11:06:44 AM »
ok here's my story:
I have a shitty schecter 7 string, and a fender stratocaster

I am in a position where (if i get this summer internship) I will finally have enough money to get a John Petrucci signature guitar. I am not sure whether to get a nice 6 string, or a 7.

its just that this is a huge investment and im not sure if i should get the extra string and have an extremely nice 7, or 6?

what would you do?

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
Re: Indecisive: 6 or 7 string JPMM?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 11:09:51 AM »
shit, wrong forum. cant believe i did that

move to musicians

plzkthnx

Offline Mat JB

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 11:13:41 AM »
I'd suggest that you get the seven. The more options the better. As you said, it is a considerable investment, and I believe that you should get the most 'bang for your buck.'

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 11:36:44 AM »
I guess it depends how many 7-string songs you play. If there are only a few, I would just get the 6-string because I think it just looks better.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 12:32:19 PM »
I routinely find ways to play downtuned songs on my standard tuned 6 string.  For example, for a 7th string rooted C5 chord, I would fret the thrd fret on the low E and A strings (G and C).  Most people would play the C5 with an A string root.  By putting that G on the bottom of the chord, it gives it more chunk.  Your ear tends to hear the low C note that isn't actually there.  Same like with a 7th string rooted D5.  I hit the open A and D strings.  You hit those good by themselves, with even a half-assed amount of distortion on there, it'll likely sound like that low D is there.  An "aural illusion" of sorts.

For me, yeah, it may be cool to have that 7th string, but I'd find myself rarely using it.  I like to play a 6-string.  I deal with downtuned songs easily enough on a 6-string, with (honestly) minimal effort.

Offline Matt7

• Shelter me, guide me to the edge of the water
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 02:16:05 AM »
I had a 7 string by Schecter
and I had a JPMM 6 string.

If you are used to a 7 string, go buying the JPMM 7 string.

When I was playing the guitar (actually, i don't because of a bad injury at my left arm, I hope to heal it quikly) it was very strange the passage from the 6 string JP to the Schecter, because JPMM's neck is so thin and small.

I tested a JPMM 7 string, and it has a neck which is smaller and thinner than the Schecter's one.
I suggest you the seven string.

Btw, try them both, and decide yourself.

PS: sorry for my bad english!

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 10:29:46 PM »
ok here's my story:
shitty schecter
Not possible.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 11:13:12 AM »
ok here's my story:
shitty schecter
Not possible.

very much possible, unfortunately

still indecisive about all of this, debating between guitars, or amps, etc.

not in a rush though

Offline deadtotheworld

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 09:48:45 AM »
I decided on getting the JP6 when I had the same decision to make... I stumbled upon a pedal to cope with lower notes, called the Morpheus Droptune pedal and it was surprisingly amazing.
It tunes all your strings down in half step increments... you want e flat - tap it once, you want d tap it twice and so on down to a full octave. Its not like the crappy digital de-tuners that you get on multi-effects, its much more organic or natural sounding. I think Mastodon, Opeth and Gus G endorse them and use them live.
I did a test with my JP6 and the Morpheus against my Ibanez 7 string and I knew I had made the right choice, especially that if Im learning songs from, DT, Paradise Lost, Guns N Roses, Rammstein, Fear Factory whatever I will be in the right tuning at a few clicks.

https://www.morpheusefx.com/droptune.php

If you play predominantly 7 string stuff in one tuning - you cant beat the JP7, but if you want a JP6 and the comfort of the 6 string, there is options out there to deal with lower tunings.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 10:50:59 AM »
went to guitar center on saturday, played a JPX 6 string with black sugar finish and roasted maple neck. it felt and sounded INCREDIBLE. it doesnt look visually as nice as the other petrucci's, but damn, im probably gonna get it

here's a pic:
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 10:59:44 AM by chrisbDTM »

Offline deadtotheworld

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 10:58:31 AM »
I just thought actually - what about the best of both worlds and try the baritone JP...

https://www.music-man.com/instruments/guitars/john-petrucci-bfr-baritone.html

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 11:03:42 AM »
I just thought actually - what about the best of both worlds and try the baritone JP...

https://www.music-man.com/instruments/guitars/john-petrucci-bfr-baritone.html

nah, im not looking to always be in a dropped tuning. just wasnt sure if i should get a really nice 6 string, or maybe a nice 7, because the option of having the lower string, while still in standard tuning.

im probably going 6

Offline deadtotheworld

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 11:11:48 AM »
Its no doubt an incredible guitar, but the thing I find most practical with a JP6 is the toggle switch - do you like the slider pickup switch on the JPX?

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 11:16:20 AM »
it didnt bother me, cause its what im normally used to. i have a stratocaster at home. never had a toggle

Offline deadtotheworld

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 11:31:05 AM »
Cool - go for it... I dont think its possible to buy a bad EBMM either way!

Offline Banny

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2011, 05:21:11 AM »
Cool - go for it... I dont think its possible to buy a bad EBMM either way!

Mother fucking this.
I'm not a guitarist player (Though I do rock the EBMM myself), but I saw the JMPP at my local shop one time and was so shocked/surprised to see it there that I just had to pick it up and play it. Someone working there saw me play and came over and started talking about it. Anyways, I just explained to him that I was a DT nerd/bass player but had to pick it up, etc etc. Turns out the guitar had been there for years and no one would buy it, so they just kept knocking the price down to the point where they were basically just trying to move it from the store. If I was a guitar player, I would have bought it on the spot. It was selling for much less and HOLY FUCK WHAT A BEAUTIFUL INSTRUMENT.

Bottom line: EBMM are quality. The attention to detail is unreal.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2011, 09:59:35 PM »
I played a JP sig MM today.. i immediatly shat myself upon weilding it.... oh my lord....

i just want to ditch everything i knew about drums and just buy one... i didnt realize how small they are... no wonder why JP looks so big ahaha

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 01:16:09 AM »
I bought the 7-string version, and would recommend to buy it. There's just no substitute for that low B.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."