Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS*  (Read 301225 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Marvel's Movie Universe *SPOILERS*
« Reply #455 on: May 14, 2012, 09:38:46 AM »
Just went ahead and added a *SPOILER* tag to the thread title since, now that it is out, MOST posts will probably have spoilers.

*SPOILER ALERT!*

Shawarma! :D
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #456 on: May 14, 2012, 09:54:12 AM »
Saw it again, this time in 3D.

It was better in 2D.  But still totally awesome.

Not sure if this will crack the Top 2 worldwide grosses, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it get to #3.  That looks totally reachable.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #457 on: May 14, 2012, 10:00:32 AM »
Perhaps the one and only thing about the film that I can criticize:  What is the deal with Samuel L. Jackson.  Everyone knows the man can act (and anyone who begs to differ really should see 187).  But then he does the Star Wars prequels, and while his Mace Windu character is undeniably cool, you have to admit that his acting is horrendous in that role.  He sounds wooden and stiff, makes you feel like he is reading lines off a cue card and hasn't internalized any emotion for them whatsoever, and just isn't a believable character as a result.  I hoped that was purely a result of Lucas' inability to write intelligent lines, and was left in the past for Jackson.  I remember feeling like just a bit of that stiffness was there in some of the Nick Fury scenes in some of the Marvel films so far, but that he was mostly pretty good.  But the very first thing I noticed in The Avengers was that very same stilted lifelessness.  Although I loved the film as a whole, I was pretty disappointed in Jackson's portrayal of Nick Fury.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #458 on: May 14, 2012, 10:04:59 AM »
i have to say this is the only film where i really liked agent coulson (or "Son of Coul" as Thor calls him  :lol) I never really liked him in the other movies, but I enjoyed the Captain America obssession and him standing up to Loki in The Avengers. With that im not as sad as the general consensus is about his death. He's just an agent and him coming back to life in a future movie seems a little dumb to me. people die, and Whedon loves to show that

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #459 on: May 14, 2012, 10:08:22 AM »
Actually Whedon recently admitted that that wasn't his idea.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #460 on: May 14, 2012, 10:09:56 AM »
Actually Whedon recently admitted that that wasn't his idea.

yea i remember reading it now, but i think he would keep him dead. Ive seen alot of people online with theories that coulson didn't actually die and will return later.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #461 on: May 14, 2012, 10:11:42 AM »
I like the theory of him coming back as Vision.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #462 on: May 14, 2012, 10:24:16 AM »
I like the theory of him coming back as Vision.

Dude that would be awful. Not only would it ruin Coulsons characters, but also The Visions.

If he comes back, he better come back on a spaceship piloted by Wash.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Adami

« Reply #463 on: May 14, 2012, 10:28:55 AM »
And because this thread isn't just an Avengers thread, I figured I'd ask you guys what other Marvel movies you'd like to see Marvel Studios make and who you would cast in them.

For instance, I would love to see a Dr. Strange movie with Johnny Depp as Stephen.

Also would love to redo the FF with a better cast (though I can't imagine a better Thing). And would REALLY love a good, honest drama about my favorite Marvel character, Norrin Radd.

Ohhhhhh, also a Black Panther movie with the guy who played Mr. Eko from Lost, and of course an Ant/Giant Man movie with Nathan Fillion.

Your ideas? Or did I already do all of the good ones?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #464 on: May 14, 2012, 10:30:33 AM »
Yeah, I'd love see a good FF movie.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Adami

« Reply #465 on: May 14, 2012, 10:31:27 AM »
Yeah, I'd love see a good FF movie.

Have fun with it, who would you cast? What would be the plot? Would there be boobs?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #466 on: May 14, 2012, 10:50:37 AM »
A really good Fantastic Four would be cool, though the first had Jessica Alba, so the new one would need someone hot obviously.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #467 on: May 14, 2012, 11:16:08 AM »
Ohhhhhh, also a Black Panther movie with the guy who played Mr. Eko from Lost
YES!!! I love this idea!!

A really good Fantastic Four would be cool, though the first had Jessica Alba, so the new one would need someone hot obviously.
A blonde, blue-eyed Alba which, IMO, made her completely lose her hotness. Though I've never found her to be that hot anyway.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #468 on: May 14, 2012, 11:37:47 AM »
agent coulson (or "Son of Coul" as Thor calls him  :lol)
Oh my god, I didn't catch that. :lol

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #469 on: May 14, 2012, 11:40:45 AM »
agent coulson (or "Son of Coul" as Thor calls him  :lol)
Oh my god, I didn't catch that. :lol

very easy to miss. it's at the end of Thor

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #470 on: May 14, 2012, 11:57:46 AM »
Ohhhhhh, also a Black Panther movie with the guy who played Mr. Eko from Lost
YES!!! I love this idea!!

A blonde, blue-eyed Alba which, IMO, made her completely lose her hotness. Though I've never found her to be that hot anyway.

Well it wasn't her hottest movie, but if they made a new FF-movie, they would need someone equally hot. (or hotter)  :P

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #471 on: May 14, 2012, 12:02:22 PM »
Olivia Wilde for Susan Storm!

Offline Adami

« Reply #472 on: May 14, 2012, 12:03:56 PM »
Calm your hormones boys.

Who for Richard? What about Johnny?

Also, I think if Marvel got all of their rights back, then Spiderman should be in the FF movie.

Speaking of old web-head, I'm glad they're making him a sarcastic dick in the new movie. That really lacked in the last ones.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #473 on: May 14, 2012, 12:07:59 PM »
My first instinct for Richard is Kevin Spacey.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #474 on: May 14, 2012, 12:09:10 PM »
Yeah, new Spider-Man will be awesome.
To be honest I'm not really sure who I would like to see in a FF-movie. While I did read some of the comics, I don't feel expert enough to come up with good picks.

Kevin Spacey is really great, but perhaps a bit too old for the character? I dunno.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #475 on: May 14, 2012, 12:16:38 PM »
That's true actually, I didn't think about how old he is by now.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #476 on: May 14, 2012, 12:47:06 PM »
Julie Bowen for Sue Storm.  Will ponder on the others.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #477 on: May 14, 2012, 12:47:41 PM »
I actually thought the guy that already played Reed, along with Michael Chiklis as Ben Grimm of course, was pretty good casting.  It was just the movies they were in that sucked.

Since I was mainly into the mutants when I was a kid, I'd love to see Marvel Studios get the rights to X-Men and all their spin-offs and start making proper X "family" movies they way they're doing w/ the Avengers "family."  Like start off with X-Men (Cyclops, Jean, Beast, Iceman & Angel), bring Logan & Storm into the mix, have the original team leave to form X-Factor, get some New Mutants going, bring in Cable and then lead into X-Force, etc.  And Prof. X could be like the Nick Fury of that series that ties it all together.  A boy can dream (sigh).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #478 on: May 14, 2012, 12:49:47 PM »
Come on chant with me. "Secret Wars, Secret Wars, Secret Wars, Secret Wars!"
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #479 on: May 14, 2012, 12:52:23 PM »
I just wanna see a Ryan Reynold's R-rated Deadpool movie!

Also, would love to see a Cable appearance in any movie, better yet, a Cable & Deadpool movie! Like the comic series!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #480 on: May 14, 2012, 12:58:12 PM »
I also read a lot of X-Men when I was younger, but I somehow doubt there would be a new Marvel re-launch of it, since we already have the initial 3 or 4 (?) movies and then First Class. One of my biggest let downs with the movies so far is that Gambit (one of my favorites from the show) hasn't been featured. I know he was part of the Wolverine-movie, but that role wasn't that big, and I would love to see more of the character.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #481 on: May 14, 2012, 01:01:28 PM »
Oh totally, but I thought we were just playing make believe?  Did I not mention that I'd be watching all of these good Marvel Studios X-Men movies on my private IMAX screen in my floating castle in the sky?  My bad.

Offline Adami

« Reply #482 on: May 14, 2012, 01:11:02 PM »
Oh totally, but I thought we were just playing make believe?  Did I not mention that I'd be watching all of these good Marvel Studios X-Men movies on my private IMAX screen in my floating castle in the sky?  My bad.

We are, you're cool.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #483 on: May 15, 2012, 09:21:50 AM »
I would love to see a Dr. Strange movie 
Yes!  One is apparently in development with Marvel.

with Johnny Depp as Stephen
No, no, no.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #484 on: May 15, 2012, 09:52:12 AM »
I don't think X-Men needs a Marvel reboot, but if they did, who would they cast for Wolverine and Magneto? Huge Jackman and Ian McKellen own those roles. Then there's Professor X. I'm sure they could fine a fitting bald guy, but Patrick Stewart!

Offline Adami

« Reply #485 on: May 15, 2012, 09:57:12 AM »
I don't think X-Men needs a Marvel reboot, but if they did, who would they cast for Wolverine and Magneto? Huge Jackman and Ian McKellen own those roles. Then there's Professor X. I'm sure they could fine a fitting bald guy, but Patrick Stewart!

They could easily find an unknown small person for Wolverine. And while I'd obviously miss Patrick and Ian, I think those roles should be cast with an American and a German respectively. As neither are supposed to be british.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #486 on: May 15, 2012, 10:17:53 AM »
Just giving some love to Michael Fassbender, because his Magneto was awesome!

Offline Adami

« Reply #487 on: May 15, 2012, 10:19:12 AM »
Just giving some love to Michael Fassbender, because his Magneto was awesome!

He really was. However I have a thing for accents. And he really should have kept a German accent. He sounded....American, not sure why.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #488 on: May 15, 2012, 10:30:24 AM »
In other completely unrelated news...Avengers was awesome!

There were a few things that kind of bugged me that I think should have been worked out better.  Maybe this was all explained and I just didn't catch it the first time around, but...  the whole sequence of the attack on the SHIELD carrier bugged me.  I get that Barton & crew were able to trace the carrier because of Loki's staff.  However, why was the carrier mysteriously not cloaked when Barton's craft arrived?  They cloaked earlier.  If there was some sort of explanation as to why they were uncloaked when Barton arrived, I missed it.  Also, where were Barton and his ship/crew completely undetected?  Even aside from the fact that their approach and initial firing on the carrier went completely undetected, well into the attack, nobody in the carrier still had any idea whatsoever that they were there.  I get that they were busy, but to me, this could have (and should have) been through through a lot better.  Again, maybe there was a good explanation, and I just missed it because of everything that was going on.  But it just seemed like they dropped the ball and created a scene that left a lot of obvious unanswered questions.

A bit more minor, but I also think it should have taken a bit more than a mere knock on the noggin to release Barton from Loki's spell.  Would have been more believable if, for example, Black Widow knocked him unconscious, and Thor came over and said, "One of Loki's mind-control tricks.  Here is how to undo what Loki did and release his mind," and then Thor does something to Barton.

Overall, the movie was done so well that I hate to nitpick.  But then again, given the major effort that was put into details, details like these that seem unresolved seem silly to have overlooked.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #489 on: May 15, 2012, 10:38:21 AM »
i think they uncloaked to allow them to land, as they were carrying 'arms and ammunition'. very similar to Return of the Jedi except no Vader to sense who was actually aboard