Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS*  (Read 296467 times)

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Marvel's Movie Universe
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2011, 09:49:40 PM »
In line to see Captain America right now. I am excite.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline lodeus

« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2011, 09:57:58 PM »
Saw it earlier. It got me really excited for The Avengers.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2011, 10:10:39 PM »
Cap was sweet!  Loved the teaser and one scene in the movie made it very apparent how they get Thor back to Earth.

It'll be interesting to see how they tackle bringing him back to Earth but not letting him see Jane.

edit:  Also, after checking out the links in this thread, I like Captain America's suit in "First Avenger" a lot more than "The Avengers" suit.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 10:36:23 PM by zepp-head »

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2011, 01:56:23 AM »
I loved it. Even though I was familiar with the story, Steve's humanity gave me the sense that the possibility of failure was lingering. That's a good thing I suppose; it kept me more on the edge of my set.

A couple of other things I liked:

-Loved the Indiana Jones style death near the end. I was surprised that was in the film, since the camera didn't move away.

-The Wilhelm scream. YES.

-The Men in Black reference. :lol
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 02:13:52 AM by MetalJunkie »

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2011, 07:54:04 AM »
^^^

I don't know if you've seen Thor, but if you have it gives you reason to believe that wasn't a death.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2011, 09:26:50 AM »
Cap was sweet!  Loved the teaser and one scene in the movie made it very apparent how they get Thor back to Earth.

It'll be interesting to see how they tackle bringing him back to Earth but not letting him see Jane.
Umm... the end of Thor makes it very apparent how they get him back to Earth. I know you're probably referencing that they use the Cosmic Cube, but I think it's more obvious that Jane completes her theory on wormholes and is able to make one that links Earth to Asgard. And even though Natalie Portman is not on the cast for the Avengers, Stellan Skarsgård is, so if they do use the wormhole thing then he just gives a throwaway line to why Jane isn't there.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2011, 01:03:50 PM »
^^^

I don't know if you've seen Thor, but if you have it gives you reason to believe that wasn't a death.
I was talking about the propeller blender.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 01:10:15 PM by MetalJunkie »

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2011, 01:12:49 PM »
^^^

Red Skull's death is also very Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2011, 04:52:52 PM »

Umm... the end of Thor makes it very apparent how they get him back to Earth. I know you're probably referencing that they use the Cosmic Cube, but I think it's more obvious that Jane completes her theory on wormholes and is able to make one that links Earth to Asgard. And even though Natalie Portman is not on the cast for the Avengers, Stellan Skarsgård is, so if they do use the wormhole thing then he just gives a throwaway line to why Jane isn't there.

I think that's how they'll do it for a Thor sequel.  For the Avengers I think it's gotta be the cube.  It'd be asking a lot to say she finished her theory and got all the tech up and running all without having her there.  The only other reason to show the "warp" with the cube in CA that I can think of would be to hint toward Loki's travel, but he's already proven he can get between Asgard and Earth without that OR the Bifrost Bridge.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2011, 04:56:41 PM »
^^^

Gee thanks.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2011, 05:03:06 PM »
^^^

I almost forgot about that.   :lol

Also, does anyone else think that the arc reactor technology was reverse engineered or based off the Tesseract or its technology?  The Hydra soldiers' weapons make the same sound effect as Iron Man's repulsors.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 05:45:00 PM by zepp-head »

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2011, 05:44:03 PM »
^^^

Gee thanks.
Your welcome.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2011, 05:45:23 PM »
^^^

Gee thanks.
Your welcome.

You're so mean to me! I HATE YOU! I'M LEAVING AND NEVER COMING BACK! YOU'RE NOT MY REAL FATHER ANYWAY!!!

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2011, 05:53:38 PM »
^^^

Also, does anyone else think that the arc reactor technology was reverse engineered or based off the Tesseract or its technology?  The Hydra soldiers' weapons make the same sound effect as Iron Man's repulsors.
I doubt it, I believe it was explicitly said in IM1 that the arc reactor technology was an original idea by Tony Stark.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2011, 05:58:17 PM »
^^^

I doubt it, I believe it was explicitly said in IM1 that the arc reactor technology was an original idea by Tony Stark.

I thought it was started by Howard?  And then Tony was able to enhance it?  I need to watch Iron Man again.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2011, 05:58:49 PM »
I don't remember it correctly, so I may be mistaken.

Oh wait! The original arc reactor was an idea by Howard Stark and Anton Vanko!

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2011, 05:59:50 PM »
I think what put me in that line of thought is when Fury said that Howard Stark first put it into motion and was going to start an "energy race", but it was based off incomplete research or something to that effect.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2011, 06:00:44 PM »
I think what put me in that line of thought is when Fury said that Howard Stark first put it into motion and was going to start an "energy race", but it was based off incomplete research or something to that effect.
Yes, yes. Now I remember. In IM2 they said that Howard and Anton Vanko made the first arc reactor. And the original plans for it are what Whiplash uses to make his arc reactor.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2011, 06:07:23 PM »
Right.  Probably a long shot, I'm basing it entirely on a sound effect and Howard Stark's connection.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2011, 06:09:15 PM »
Well, there was a piece of Cosmic Cube-powered equipment that Cap took from a Hydra base and I don't remember there being any explanation or used of it afterwards.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #90 on: July 24, 2011, 06:16:29 PM »
Right.  Probably a long shot, I'm basing it entirely on a sound effect and Howard Stark's connection.

They've put in over half a billion dollars into making these films, with a pretty meticulous eye for detail. Something tells me its no mere coincidence that IM's blasters are the guns in Cap have the same sound effect and illumination.

I was having issues with Howard's age until I did out the math: if he's supposed to be say mid-20's in Cap, and Tony is mid-40's in modern day, then he'd have been in his 40's when Tony was born, which seems to work with the footage we see of him in IM2. That's supposed to be around 1970, correct?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #91 on: July 24, 2011, 06:19:45 PM »

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #92 on: July 24, 2011, 06:23:09 PM »
Alright. And when was Tony born, '66?

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #93 on: July 24, 2011, 09:23:41 PM »
I quite enjoyed Captain America, probably neck and neck with Thor for second place for me out of all the Marvel Universe movies so far.
Photobucket sucks.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #94 on: July 24, 2011, 09:25:30 PM »
Alright. And when was Tony born, '66?

Well Downey was born in 65, so that sounds fair enough.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #95 on: July 24, 2011, 10:08:53 PM »
Here's my rankings for the Marvel films.

1. The Incredible Hulk
2. Captain America.
3. Thor
4. Iron Man
5. iron Man 2

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2011, 10:50:50 PM »
All the films thus far are 3.5-4 star movies for me, so it's a tough call...but I guess I'd list them as:

Iron Man
Thor
Captain America
Iron Man 2
Incredible Hulk

Oh, and for those who haven't seen, all the posters together:

If the final product is close to that, that may very well be the best looking Hulk ever.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 10:57:36 PM by MykeHavoc »

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2011, 08:39:50 AM »
Yeah, the Hulk looks straight from the comics.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2011, 09:59:43 AM »
I was way, WAY behind on seeing these.  Saw IM, but hadn't seen the rest.  Was waiting for IM2 to come to DVD, and somehow just never got around to seeing it.  Meant to see Thor in theaters, but, again, didn't get around to it.  Didn't realize there was going to be a huge tie-in between these films, and wasn't really interested in seeing Hulk at all.  So we Redbox'd IM2 and watched it over the weekend.  Not bad.  My wife isn't a comics/superhero fan at all, but she liked both IM films.  After I explained the whole Avengers concept to her, she is now interested in seeing the rest as well.  Should be fun getting caught up.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #99 on: July 25, 2011, 10:11:47 AM »
Bosk, you should certainly give Incredible Hulk a spin. Although I'm in the minority as being a fan of the Ang Lee Hulk, this film seems to have made up for all the issues everyone had with it. Its a lot of fun. Watching the blu-ray, its a shame they cut out so many dramatic scenes, as it would've made the film stronger and more on par with the other tie in movies. And try to catch Cap in the theater while you can, and even track down Thor at secondary theaters if possible. I doubt you'd regret it, as both were well worth the time.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2011, 10:25:36 AM »
Also, interesting tidbit from Comicon: In addition to The Punisher, they've also reacquired the rights to Blade. I myself was a big fan of the first two Blade films, so I'd love to see the character integrated into the universe. I'm sure they'd reboot and recast, but I for one would have trouble seeing anyone else but Wesley Snipes portraying the character. He'll be 51 by the time he's out of prison. They could shoehorn him into Thor 2 or Iron Man 3 to set him up for future exploits :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2011, 10:28:43 AM »
Oh, I definitely plan on seeing them all now.  Unfortunately, Thor isn't running anywhere around here anymore, so I'll probably have to wait for DVD.  I'll probably catch Cap in the theater, but I'll just have to catch the others on DVD.

I didn't really have a problem with the first Hulk movie.  He just isn't my favorite character, and there's just something about doing a reboot so soon that kinda rubs me the wrong way, so that's why I didn't initially see it.  But given the tie-ins, I'm definitely going to now.  

But back to the "recent reboot" thing, I just don't get why they feel the need to do that.  Same with the Spider Man movies.  I thought the first one was great.  And while the next two weren't nearly as good, they were still enjoyable enough that I don't get the hate for them.  But still, given how recent they were, why reboot the entire story?  Why not just continue it with different personnel if they really want to do more of the Spider Man story?  While changing actors and crew is also not the most optimal solution, that bugs me less than rebooting.  I dunno, maybe I'm in the minority on that one, but it still just annoys me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2011, 12:41:15 PM »
Oh, I definitely plan on seeing them all now.  Unfortunately, Thor isn't running anywhere around here anymore, so I'll probably have to wait for DVD.  I'll probably catch Cap in the theater, but I'll just have to catch the others on DVD.

I didn't really have a problem with the first Hulk movie.  He just isn't my favorite character, and there's just something about doing a reboot so soon that kinda rubs me the wrong way, so that's why I didn't initially see it.  But given the tie-ins, I'm definitely going to now.  

But back to the "recent reboot" thing, I just don't get why they feel the need to do that.  Same with the Spider Man movies.  I thought the first one was great.  And while the next two weren't nearly as good, they were still enjoyable enough that I don't get the hate for them.  But still, given how recent they were, why reboot the entire story?  Why not just continue it with different personnel if they really want to do more of the Spider Man story?  While changing actors and crew is also not the most optimal solution, that bugs me less than rebooting.  I dunno, maybe I'm in the minority on that one, but it still just annoys me.

Cap has a few bits that tie into Thor, so you may be a little confused, but when you finally catch it, it will make more sense.

Actually, Spider-Man 2 is regarded as one of the best comic movies of all time and surpasses both part 1 and 3 by a long-shot. I too enjoy the trilogy, but you have to look at the logistics: no one was coming back to do a part 4. Better to take it in a different direction and right some of the wrongs. Part 3 was a mess, although upon my recent rewatch of it, I found it more enjoyable then I initially did. But looking at those three films, they really say all they need to. The end is pretty definitive and ties up all the threads of each character to a satisfying conclusion. I'm all for the reboot. And judging by the teaser, its shaping up nicely.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2011, 01:15:20 PM »
Cap has a few bits that tie into Thor, so you may be a little confused, but when you finally catch it, it will make more sense.

:(  Bummer.  I wish it was still running somewhere so I could see it first. 

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #104 on: July 25, 2011, 01:35:51 PM »

:(  Bummer.  I wish it was still running somewhere so I could see it first. 

We're talking 2 little parts, you won't be lost if you haven't seen Thor.  Odin is referenced at the very beginning, and something happens toward the end that ties in visually with Thor.

As far as Spider-Man goes, I just don't know why it has to be an origin story again.