Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS*  (Read 296791 times)

Offline The Trooper

Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS*
« Reply #3430 on: May 16, 2016, 03:29:52 PM »
I am a Marvel geek, but I do not really think they are worried about the TV vs. cinema tie ins. I may be wrong, just my opinion. I think what they have done in the cinematic universe is and has been stand alone. Sure there are small tie ins with tv but most part the "average" film going person would have to at least seen Winter Soldier and AOU to fully "get" Civil War.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3431 on: May 16, 2016, 03:33:20 PM »
I am a Marvel geek, but I do not really think they are worried about the TV vs. cinema tie ins. I may be wrong, just my opinion. I think what they have done in the cinematic universe is and has been stand alone. Sure there are small tie ins with tv but most part the "average" film going person would have to at least seen Winter Soldier and AOU to fully "get" Civil War.

Most films, sure. But then again, most of the films also don't effect the other aside from minor points and character development. And the show has almost no influence on the movies, but the movies do influence the show at times. Let's not forget Winter Soldier completely changed Shield.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #3432 on: May 16, 2016, 03:58:21 PM »
Agree. I meant to add that last point you made.  For the geeks like us/many I do think it matters more to us than the "casual" fan. Likewise with the Star Wars franchise. The geeks (I Included) tend to over analyze). Marvel is making their money pit on the films. They need to have the "average" person want to spend money to see the film. The tv...........well it is on regulalar tv or Netflix. Their money grabber is film.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3433 on: May 17, 2016, 07:12:19 AM »
I'll be honest, I think you would see more interplay between film and TV if Agents of SHIELD did better in the ratings.  It is not a really successful show, and was fortunate to get picked up for the upcoming season.

Fans of the films pay money hand over fist for the next entry in the MCU, but they won't take an hour a week to watch the TV show.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3434 on: May 17, 2016, 02:35:29 PM »
I'll be honest, I think you would see more interplay between film and TV if Agents of SHIELD did better in the ratings.  It is not a really successful show, and was fortunate to get picked up for the upcoming season.

Fans of the films pay money hand over fist for the next entry in the MCU, but they won't take an hour a week to watch the TV show.

Maybe, but there are definitely limits to how much the movies can reference the tv shows, since they operate on such different timeframes.  Relatively easy for the shows to reference events in the movies in real time, but much harder the other way around.  I would like to see some of the tv characters at least have cameos in the movies, though. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3435 on: May 17, 2016, 02:38:10 PM »
I would like to see some of the tv characters at least have cameos in the movies, though. 

Same here.  I am actually surprised they didn't have that happen in Civil War.  It would have been perfect for it.  Even if it was a minor role, I'm shocked that we didn't at least have a passing reference to Daredevil, any specific Inhumans, etc., even if they didn't actually appear in the film.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3436 on: May 17, 2016, 02:42:44 PM »
Well, Civil War is packed full of stuff.  If they included any TV characters in it as well, it would have seemed fake, like they were doing it just to do it.  Nothing else in the film feels like that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3437 on: May 17, 2016, 02:48:12 PM »
I get that that is a danger.  But, for example, in IM2(?), there was a news report on Tony's TV that had the military battling Hulk, so you got the feel for the universe being bigger than the events in that single movie without it feeling gratuitous and fake.  It can be done.  I'm not saying have full scenes featuring anyone from any of the TV series.  But they could have incorporated something subtle like the Hulk thing to acknowledge the existence of other MCU characters that are not directly appearing at the center of the conflict that is onscreen.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

« Reply #3438 on: May 17, 2016, 03:11:04 PM »
I get that that is a danger.  But, for example, in IM2(?), there was a news report on Tony's TV that had the military battling Hulk, so you got the feel for the universe being bigger than the events in that single movie without it feeling gratuitous and fake.  It can be done.  I'm not saying have full scenes featuring anyone from any of the TV series.  But they could have incorporated something subtle like the Hulk thing to acknowledge the existence of other MCU characters that are not directly appearing at the center of the conflict that is onscreen.

I totally agree. They don't even have to reference plot points, but characters (assuming they know they'll still be alive on the show when the movie is released) shouldn't be terribly hard.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3439 on: May 18, 2016, 06:38:12 AM »
I still think that is two separate things.  It's a cool thing for IM2 to reference the Hulk, because most of the people in the IM2 audience will know the Hulk.

Judging by the ratings on Agents on SHIELD, not very many of the audience of Civil War would be familiar with characters from SHIELD.  So, again, that particular thing would seem like a needless throwaway, something more suited to DC than to Marvel.

Just my two cents.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3440 on: May 18, 2016, 08:35:33 AM »
Ratings are a funny thing though.  In my entire lifetime, I know of a total of two people who have at one time had a Neilsen box in their home, and one was on this forum.  If ratings come from such a tiny sliver of society, how accurate can they be?

Offline Adami

« Reply #3441 on: May 18, 2016, 09:06:49 AM »
I still think that is two separate things.  It's a cool thing for IM2 to reference the Hulk, because most of the people in the IM2 audience will know the Hulk.

Judging by the ratings on Agents on SHIELD, not very many of the audience of Civil War would be familiar with characters from SHIELD.  So, again, that particular thing would seem like a needless throwaway, something more suited to DC than to Marvel.

Just my two cents.

True, but would it be any different than a reference to the comics that the casual movie goer won't know? I mean, different Marvel movies have made some really awesome references to the comics. Some of them I got, some were even too obscure for me. Didn't hurt the movie in the slightest. So a reference to Shield will just make people like me excited, while the casual moviegoer just won't pick up on it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3442 on: May 18, 2016, 12:16:51 PM »
Speaking of Agents of Shield, the 2 hour season 3 finale was last night. I thought it was really good, with some truly great moments there towards the end.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3443 on: May 18, 2016, 12:24:06 PM »
I haven't watched it yet, or the prior episode either, for that matter.  Holding off until after I see Civil War, since there may be minor spoilers (or so I have been led to believe).

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3444 on: May 18, 2016, 12:41:42 PM »
Yeah I get that, I would have done the same.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3445 on: May 18, 2016, 03:04:06 PM »
I haven't watched it yet, or the prior episode either, for that matter.  Holding off until after I see Civil War, since there may be minor spoilers (or so I have been led to believe).

I saw the episode before I saw Civil War, and I don't think there were any real spoilers.  It was all stuff that you could deduce from the trailers, I think.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3446 on: May 18, 2016, 03:24:53 PM »
Amazing finale. Damn.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3447 on: May 19, 2016, 09:38:26 AM »
Amazing finale. Damn.

^This. I'm still a bit stunned
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3448 on: May 19, 2016, 10:56:10 AM »
Yes, what a great ending to a season.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Adami

« Reply #3449 on: May 19, 2016, 10:59:44 AM »
Yes, what a great ending to a season.

I'm not sure how I felt about the 6 months (or however long) later thing. I guess we'll see next season.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3450 on: May 19, 2016, 11:18:08 AM »
I agree but it lead to a ton of questions so we both felt like, "What?  Where are they going with this"?  "6 months"?!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3451 on: May 19, 2016, 11:57:08 AM »
I loved the stuff they showed after the time jump, I only thought the jump itself was a bit abrupt. As in like the editing of the actual jump.

"So what no.."
6 MONTHS LATER!!
oh shit okay i guess

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3452 on: May 19, 2016, 02:05:34 PM »
One thing that I thought was super cool in this episode was that they got the explosion in space perfect. No sound and the fire ball only lasted as long as there was oxygen available and then quickly snuffed out. Not as dramatic as a stupid Star Wars or Star Trek space explosions, but I was pretty geeked at the thoughtfulness.

"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3453 on: May 19, 2016, 03:24:40 PM »
Yeah and that scene with Lincoln and Hive just having a "normal" conversation before the blast was so good.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3454 on: May 20, 2016, 12:46:48 PM »
Wow.

Marvel Studios Confirms Stellar New Cast Members of the Highly Anticipated 'Thor: Ragnarok'
Two-time Oscar®-winner Cate Blanchett (“Blue Jasmine,” “Carol, “Cinderella”) joins Marvel Studios’ “Thor: Ragnarok” as the mysterious and powerful new villain Hela, along with Jeff Goldblum (the upcoming “Independence Day: Resurgence,” “The Grand Budapest Hotel,” “Jurassic Park”) who joins the cast as the eccentric Grandmaster, Tessa Thompson (“Creed,” “Selma”) who will bring the classic hero Valkyrie to life on the big screen, and Karl Urban (“Star Trek” trilogy, “The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King”) who will add his might to the fray as Skurge.

Rounding out the cast for the film is three-time Oscar®-nominee Mark Ruffalo (“Spotlight,” “The Kids Are All Right,” “Foxcatcher”), reprising his role of Bruce Banner/the Hulk from “Marvel’s The Avengers” and Marvel’s “Avengers: Age of Ultron.”

“The continuation of the epic Thor franchise will be powerful and unique, and with the additions of Cate, Jeff, Tessa, Karl, and Mark to the cast we have the makings of his most dangerous and heroic adventure yet,” said Producer Kevin Feige. “The sheer, raw talent each of these actors brings to the screen can’t be quantified. Having any one of them join the Marvel Cinematic Universe would be an honor, and having all of them is incredible."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3455 on: May 20, 2016, 01:39:52 PM »
Also, as of today, Captain America: Civil War is the 25th film to hit the $ 1 billion mark (and the 4th Marvel film to do so).  It accomplished the feat in 24 days, the same amount of time it took Age of Ultron to hit the mark (which ended up with $1.4 billion).

Offline 425

« Reply #3456 on: May 20, 2016, 09:31:04 PM »
Captain America: Civil War

Civil War was amazing. Might be my favorite MCU film. I'd definitely put it up there with the likes of Iron Man and The Winter Soldier. Nothing against Joss Whedon, I think he did an amazing and in a lot of ways groundbreaking thing by integrating the main characters of four different film franchises to create a quality picture in The Avengers, and I think he did well at expanding on that in Age of Ultron. But I think the Russo Brothers are a better fit for the MCU going forward. With Winter Soldier they showed their capability of doing a quality superhero movie that is told on a simultaneously epic and personal scale, and with Civil War they have now proven their ability to handle a large ensemble cast. I think there's more drama in Civil War than in either of Whedon's films. Part of that is that they had an inherently more dramatic premise to work with, but I think they executed on it well, and think that they are the best people to handle the marquee pictures going forward. I'm very confident in Infinity War with them at the helm.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Amazing finale. Damn.

Yep. So many questions that I guess will have to wait until September. I'm honestly probably more invested in this show than I am in the film universe right now. Not to say that I'm not invested in the film universe, I am (especially with some great developments in Civil War), but I spend much more time with the AoS characters and I feel more personally connected to them.

**SPOILERS FOLLOW**

I'm a little disappointed to see Brett Dalton almost certainly leave the cast. I loved the Ward character; he's one of my favorite TV villains ever. And I thought Brett made a great transition into playing the role of Hive. I had partially expected them to end the Hive story arc by having Hive vacate Ward's now intact body, leaving Ward alive. And I think they kind of teased that with the part where he kept going in and out of Ward's memories. I'll definitely miss Brett. But at the same time, I appreciate that they're willing to take the risk of killing off a major character who I assume was liked by many fans. Something I hope they do in the films in the near future.

Also, everybody else caught Coulson referring to "the Director," right? I assume that this means there is a new Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. with Coulson stepping down, either because he doesn't want/feels he shouldn't have the authority of Director, or because someone forces him to. Perhaps it's a consequence of the military having to come in and take over their base. Who is the Director now? May? Perhaps? We know it's not Daisy, Mack or Fitzsimmons. Alternately, I suppose it could be Maria Hill, General Talbot, or even (though I doubt it) Nick Fury. Or else an as yet to be revealed character.

Also, is Daisy promising to introduce the mother and daughter to Cal? Is he coming back? I hope so.

**END SPOILERS**

Thor: Ragnarok

Wow.

That's pretty stunning. Hopefully Ragnarok is a big step up from the previous two Thor films. The presence of the Hulk is definitely promising. It looks like they're planning to go all-out.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3457 on: May 23, 2016, 09:33:51 AM »
Saw Civil War.  Other than the usual complaints, it was pretty great.  Spiderman was fun, but I didn't think he was "all that."  One thing that repeatedly frustrates me about movies lately, and this one did it as well, is the seeming obsession with impossibly short timelines.  36 hours to assemble the team (including recruiting a new guy and getting him outfitted with a completely new, combat-ready suit), find Cap's team that has gone into hiding somewhere in the world, and stop them?  Why even do that?  It is completely unnecessary.  Why not just have it play out over several days or a few weeks, which would have been much more realistic?  I don't understand.

But those issues aside, still really good.  No idea where I will rank it yet.  But it also largely doesn't matter.  It is, as expected, just another quality piece of storytelling from Marvel, which is all I could ask for. 

Now to catch up on AoS and then on to Daredevil...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3458 on: May 25, 2016, 10:13:19 AM »
Caught up on AOS last night.  Wow. 
Yeah and that scene with Lincoln and Hive just having a "normal" conversation before the blast was so good.
That was really the first glimpse into Hive being more than a "villain."  I mean, he had talked about wanting to basically wanting to remake the earth and thereby benefit humanity and inhumans, but this conversation was the first moment where I felt like, "yeah, it truly believes it was trying to do something good."  I thought that was cool. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3459 on: May 25, 2016, 10:36:46 AM »
Yeah, good finale.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3460 on: May 25, 2016, 10:54:18 AM »
Certainly questions raised by the 6 month flash forward that I'm looking forward to having answered in the fall.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3461 on: May 25, 2016, 10:56:37 AM »
Also, the show deserves props for the effects for Hive's "monster-face". I was expecting that to look really wonky but it actually looked pretty great.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3462 on: May 25, 2016, 10:57:44 AM »
Yeah, it really did.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3463 on: May 26, 2016, 02:35:33 AM »
Not movie related.

So apparently Marvel comics decided it was due time to make the worst decision possible and revealed that Steve Rogers is an agent of hydra. Worse? They're claiming he always has been. No brainwashing, cloning, alt universes, or mind control. Just awful creative decisions. Sorry, had to vent a little.

I'm sure the two Jewish guys that created him during WWII had always intended him to be a white supremacist.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3464 on: May 26, 2016, 06:16:21 AM »
Yeah, I saw that.  That's the dumbest plot twist ever.