Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS*  (Read 296782 times)

Offline faizoff

Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS*
« Reply #3395 on: May 13, 2016, 09:44:09 AM »
Odd how I couldn't get into any of the Marvel TV series SHIELD or Agent Carter yet love the Netflix series Marvel has done with them.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3396 on: May 13, 2016, 10:03:01 AM »
Ranking? Ok, let's do this!

1. Winter Soldier
2. Guardians of the Galaxy
3. Avengers
4. Civil War
5. Iron Man
6. Ultron
7. Captain America
8. Ant-Man
9. Iron Man 3
10. Thor
11. Incredible Hulk
12. Iron Man 2
13. The Dark World

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3397 on: May 13, 2016, 10:05:33 AM »
Odd how I couldn't get into any of the Marvel TV series SHIELD or Agent Carter yet love the Netflix series Marvel has done with them.
I don't think it's odd.  The tone for the ABC shows is completely different than the tone for the Netflix shows.  Makes sense that one or the other wouldn't appeal to some fans.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3398 on: May 13, 2016, 11:02:17 AM »
It's a shame that the first half of Agents of Shield season 1 was so mediocre. It feels like they lost so many viewers that could have been there now that the show's actually good and interesting.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #3399 on: May 13, 2016, 11:09:26 AM »
I don't think I could confidently rank all the MCU films in full, but:

Favorites: Civil War, Iron Man, Winter Soldier

Least Favorites: Hulk, Dark World, Iron Main 2

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3400 on: May 13, 2016, 03:26:39 PM »
Finally saw Deadpool. Loved it. Surprisingly my girlfriend did as well.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3401 on: May 13, 2016, 03:49:04 PM »
Looks like Marvel has poached another Human Torch. Michael B. Jordan has joined Black Panther. No word on his character yet. I love it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3402 on: May 13, 2016, 05:41:02 PM »
Cast ALL the black actors!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3403 on: May 14, 2016, 01:40:30 AM »
#marvelsoblack

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3404 on: May 14, 2016, 04:31:36 AM »
Well, they definitely focus on casting all the GOOD actors, regardless of race.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3405 on: May 14, 2016, 10:49:28 AM »
Well, they definitely focus on casting all the GOOD actors, regardless of race.

True, but in a movie based in Africa, they might be considering race this time too.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3406 on: May 15, 2016, 01:18:37 PM »
Finally saw Civil War.   What I love about a Russo Brothers directed film is how they seamlessly meld the real action with the CGI action and the dialogue is so well written you forget this is an action film.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3407 on: May 15, 2016, 01:50:10 PM »
Ok, so now that it's been out 10 days, I'm going non-small font spoilers.

So much awesomeness with this, and I'm so glad that I didn't watch all the spots/featurettes etc...  The double meaning to the 'civil war' was awesome, and a very nice twist to setup the final fight.  The ode's to the real civil way comics were nice (Sharon's eulogy; Friday analyzing the fighting moves - though, in record time, the new spider suit, the repulsor blast-vs-shield).  The acting, the action, the comedy, the fight sequences, the storyline, the motivations for everyone taking the side that they did (Natasha taking Tony's side was a bit of a stretch) .... all virtually flawless.  I give it a 9.5/10

Nitpicking though (and this is why it's VIRTUALLY flawless)
- Sharon/Cap/Falco getting from London to Vienna in the blink of an eye.
- How did Team Iron know to go to the airport?  Natasha made mention of 'I know someone who knows where they are'
- Were those Stormtroopers shooting at Bucky?  They could only hit his arm/hand?
- convenient that there was a camera down the middle of a back/dirt road to film the hit on the Stark's
- Quite the series of events to perfectly time getting Cap/Bucky/Tony at that Hydra base in Siberia all at the same time.
- Seriously, how did Rhodes survive that fall?  How much insulation is there inside the suit?

But like I said... that was nitpicking.  Could very well be the best MCU movie.  Definitely Top 3.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Adami

« Reply #3408 on: May 15, 2016, 02:03:45 PM »
Ok, so now that it's been out 10 days, I'm going non-small font spoilers.

So much awesomeness with this, and I'm so glad that I didn't watch all the spots/featurettes etc...  The double meaning to the 'civil war' was awesome, and a very nice twist to setup the final fight.  The ode's to the real civil way comics were nice (Sharon's eulogy; Friday analyzing the fighting moves - though, in record time, the new spider suit, the repulsor blast-vs-shield).  The acting, the action, the comedy, the fight sequences, the storyline, the motivations for everyone taking the side that they did (Natasha taking Tony's side was a bit of a stretch) .... all virtually flawless.  I give it a 9.5/10

Nitpicking though (and this is why it's VIRTUALLY flawless)
- Sharon/Cap/Falco getting from London to Vienna in the blink of an eye.
- How did Team Iron know to go to the airport?  Natasha made mention of 'I know someone who knows where they are'
- Were those Stormtroopers shooting at Bucky?  They could only hit his arm/hand?
- convenient that there was a camera down the middle of a back/dirt road to film the hit on the Stark's
- Quite the series of events to perfectly time getting Cap/Bucky/Tony at that Hydra base in Siberia all at the same time.
- Seriously, how did Rhodes survive that fall?  How much insulation is there inside the suit?

But like I said... that was nitpicking.  Could very well be the best MCU movie.  Definitely Top 3.

I'll agree with things really needing to happen for Zemo's plan at the end to work out and the guys only hitting Bucky's arm. The rest, suspension of disbelief takes care of for me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3409 on: May 15, 2016, 04:00:43 PM »
how did Rhodes survive that fall?  How much insulation is there inside the suit?

Yeah, he would totally just be a Rhodey-soup inside that suite after that fall. I would have preferred it if he actually died there, but whatever. I still loved the movie.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3410 on: May 15, 2016, 04:06:10 PM »
I just saw Age of Ultron and there's a scene where Ultron throws Don Cheadle through a window and he falls like 20+ feet onto solid floor.

I assumed he was obviously dead - but no - back in next scene just fine.

Even the humans in movies are superhuman.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3411 on: May 15, 2016, 05:31:07 PM »
I just saw Age of Ultron and there's a scene where Ultron throws Don Cheadle through a window and he falls like 20+ feet onto solid floor.

I assumed he was obviously dead - but no - back in next scene just fine.

Even the humans in movies are superhuman.

To be fair, this applies to almost every film with a super element. How many times have you seen a super strong person hit someone and make them fly back 20 feet? Being hit with that much force would destroy you or at least crush most of your bones. It happens.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3412 on: May 15, 2016, 06:21:35 PM »
Civil War has made more money than Batman V Superman already and has been out for like a quarter of the time.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3413 on: May 16, 2016, 08:43:46 AM »
I saw Civil War this weekend and really enjoyed it. Spiderman was really well done, "Dude, you have a metal arm. That's so cool!"

I'm not sure why it's being hailed as the best of the bunch though. I think Guardians of the Galaxy, Winter Solider, The Avengers, and Ironman were all better...but just a bit.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3414 on: May 16, 2016, 10:59:28 AM »
It's a shame that the first half of Agents of Shield season 1 was so mediocre. It feels like they lost so many viewers that could have been there now that the show's actually good and interesting.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the current storyline.  It is cool, but...I'm not really able to put into words why I don't like it as much as I did last season.  Maybe that's because I still cannot decide whether a couple of the characters have gone in directions with their personal arcs that I don't believe vs. simply do not like.  Maybe that will be resolved once I catch up on the last few episodes.  I have avoided watching because I have not yet been able to see Civil War, and will not be able to do so for another week or two.  On that note, I am already having to scroll past spoiler posts to avoid reading them, so I will have to avoid this thread altogether for a bit. 

But as for the first half of season 1, I have mixed feelings about it.  It certainly was a bit more random, and the storyline perhaps wasn't as good.  But it really was simply about the formation of the team.  And to that end, it did its job.  Once the role of the team took on a more firm and interesting direction (and as it was revealed to the creative team that they would be building on the events of The Winter Soldier and on the discovery of the inhumans), things ramped up quite well.  I don't really think season 1 was "mediocre."  It just perhaps wasn't as focused as the series would later become. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3415 on: May 16, 2016, 11:07:28 AM »
I am just really curious about how in the world the iteration of the Inhumans on Agents of SHIELD, with Hive as the super-Inhuman, will in any way dovetail with the royal family of the Inhumans, whom I would assume will be the stars of the Inhumans film.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3416 on: May 16, 2016, 11:08:51 AM »
Lets be honest.  A show has to grow and not many shows are that mind blowing in the first season.  It takes time to feel the acting and the writing out.

I am just really curious about how in the world the iteration of the Inhumans on Agents of SHIELD, with Hive as the super-Inhuman, will in any way dovetail with the royal family of the Inhumans, whom I would assume will be the stars of the Inhumans film.

Great question and since they delayed it, who knows where they are going with it now.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3417 on: May 16, 2016, 11:10:34 AM »
Yeah, but it is ONLY delayed, not canceled.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3418 on: May 16, 2016, 11:14:38 AM »
I'm surprised they didn't confirm it being cancelled since it's pretty clear they have no plans to make it. We definitely won't see it before 2025 at least.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3419 on: May 16, 2016, 11:14:46 AM »
Right. They are full on tackling the Inhumans on TV and they like to link the timelines with the movies so I wonder what the movie delay will do to the TV show.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3420 on: May 16, 2016, 11:22:00 AM »

Given the direction SHIELD is taking with the Inhumans, I wonder if the "royal family" will even come into play.  I could see the MCU taking a completely different direction and there not even being a royal family.  It would seem odd for them not to have been mentioned at this stage in the game, given that several characters revealed thus far would surely have knowledge of them if they exist in the MCU.  Seems like it would be difficult to explain away.  And I think that the longer we have an Inhumans story arc developing in AOS without any mention of them, the bigger a stretch it will be to explain away the failure to mention them.  But who knows?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

« Reply #3421 on: May 16, 2016, 11:33:57 AM »

Given the direction SHIELD is taking with the Inhumans, I wonder if the "royal family" will even come into play.  I could see the MCU taking a completely different direction and there not even being a royal family.  It would seem odd for them not to have been mentioned at this stage in the game, given that several characters revealed thus far would surely have knowledge of them if they exist in the MCU.  Seems like it would be difficult to explain away.  And I think that the longer we have an Inhumans story arc developing in AOS without any mention of them, the bigger a stretch it will be to explain away the failure to mention them.  But who knows?

The best I can think of is that the royal family (along with a bunch of Inhumans) live on the moon on Attilan and have been completely isolated from Earth. It would mostly be in line with the comics and would explain why no one on earth (thus far) has mentioned them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3422 on: May 16, 2016, 11:39:33 AM »
I get that.  And maybe my misgivings come from my ignorance of the Inhumans in general from the comics (I never read anything relating to them).  But it just seems odd to me that Jia Ying, Gordon, Lincoln, or Hive would not at least have known they existed.  And given that, it would seem odd that they would not have been mentioned yet, as their existence would certainly have been relevant to events that have taken place thus far.  But maybe not.  :dunno:  I guess we'll see.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3423 on: May 16, 2016, 11:40:36 AM »
I guess we'll see.

Beat you to it.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3424 on: May 16, 2016, 01:08:55 PM »
Civil War has made more money than Batman V Superman already and has been out for like a quarter of the time.

And rightly so. BvS blew chunks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3425 on: May 16, 2016, 02:21:34 PM »
I'm surprised they didn't confirm it being cancelled since it's pretty clear they have no plans to make it. We definitely won't see it before 2025 at least.
No such thing is "pretty clear."  Kevin Feige spoke about it just the other day.

Phase 3 was already going to be bigger than Phase 1 or 2, and that was before they added Ant-Man & The Wasp and Spider-Man: Homecoming to the mix.  They just removed it from Phase 3, but he said they still love the story and the characters and no way is it canceled.  He has no reason to lie about that.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #3426 on: May 16, 2016, 03:12:27 PM »
agree. Marvel is a well oiled machine at his moment. No reason to lie about anything. If you are pushing back something etc. Say it up front and move on.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3427 on: May 16, 2016, 03:17:45 PM »
Obviously one huge problem they have is timelines and the complete lack of communication between the TV guys and the movie guys.

To make a movie like Inhumans, they need to have the story planned out a few years before it comes out. Shield, on the other hand, makes their decisions way later. If they decide where the Inhumans story line will have to be 3 years down the line, that limits where Shield can go. If Shield keep doing their thing, then it's impossible for Marvel to be able to plan a movie around it. Best case scenario is for Shield to take the focus off of Inhumans after this season. Keep them as the Secret Warriors and move on to other threats and so forth. Then the movie can figure out where it needs to be and not be impeded by Shield.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3428 on: May 16, 2016, 03:23:56 PM »
Or AOS may simply end, in which case there are no potential conflicts to resolve.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3429 on: May 16, 2016, 03:24:28 PM »
Or AOS may simply end, in which case there are no potential conflicts to resolve.

A very possible, though slightly more disappointing possibility.
fanticide.bandcamp.com