Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS*  (Read 296802 times)

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS*
« Reply #3325 on: May 10, 2016, 06:05:31 PM »
I saw Civil War again. Just a note about Spider-Man....I think Tom Holland is a great Peter Parker. The best portrayal of Peter we've had so far. When he says he can't join the fight because of homework, that was brilliant and made every Spider-Man fan ever cheer. However, I still think at this point the best Spider-Man is still Andrew Garfield. I'll probably change my mind by the time we get Spider-Man: Homecoming since we only saw what probably is only a scratch of what's coming in the future. Garfield combined the intelligence, wit, and humanity of Spider-Man graciously. It's a shame those movies couldn't compliment his performance.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #3326 on: May 10, 2016, 06:09:20 PM »
What I think they did brilliantly was the way they introduced the "new Spidey". Holland was awesome and with this Marvel team they can make the figure brilliant.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3327 on: May 10, 2016, 06:46:47 PM »
Finally watching Age of Ultron.

That was ok. Obviously not as good as the first one but it was entertaining...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3328 on: May 10, 2016, 06:54:26 PM »
I thought Age Of Ultron was alright.

What is it people have problems with ?

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #3329 on: May 10, 2016, 07:00:46 PM »
Ultron had its problems. not enough  if u can get past some minor stuff, it is a good movie to set up future things, aka Civil War and in the long run Infinity. what they appear to be doing, albeit slight......but not..........is the Tony stark arc. that will play out. Vision will be a big part forward.......a semi extension in a way of Stark,What Civil War did was establish connection to the individuals. brilliant move by Marvel. most just see the action stuff, but marvel makes u care about the individuals.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3330 on: May 10, 2016, 07:05:47 PM »

It's not a bad movie, but it suffered from SOME similar problems as BvS. Way too much going on that wasn't handled properly. The entire beginning scene is out of nowhere. The bad guy is introduce and eliminated in like 10 minutes. Ultron himself.....well I'll get to that, but the plot was a bit all over the place too. Ultron's plan was just awful. The dude could shut down the internet, but instead wanted to turn a random city into a comet and destroy earth? Meh. "Not a great plan" as Tony Stark would say. The movie was also WAY too full of jokes. I love humor in the Marvel movies, but there needs to be a balance and the humor needs to be natural and fluid. It wasn't in Ultron. It was a lot of very forced jokes that were just there to have jokes.

I mostly enjoyed it, but it definitely wasn't written as well as it should have been.

This is probably because one guy was essentially doing it all by himself. At least with a movie like Civil War, you have 2 directors who are working closely with 2 writers to help each other out. I can't imagine a single individual being able to handle it any better than Joss did. But it shouldn't have been a one man job.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #3331 on: May 10, 2016, 07:07:26 PM »
the action is great in CW, but not over the top aka DC. glad the airport scene was not the end of the movie. which they could have done. what Marvel has done...tv and cinematic is make you care about the figures. more character driven than just an all out blow out action over the top stuff, although Ultron pushed that, but not like man of steel stuff.

he brothers know how to do super hero movie.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #3332 on: May 10, 2016, 07:12:38 PM »

I mostly enjoyed it, but it definitely wasn't written as well as it should have been.

This is probably because one guy was essentially doing it all by himself. At least with a movie like Civil War, you have 2 directors who are working closely with 2 writers to help each other out. I can't imagine a single individual being able to handle it any better than Joss did. But it shouldn't have been a one man job.

Hence the Russo Brothers pure genius

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3333 on: May 11, 2016, 08:35:45 AM »

It's not a bad movie, but it suffered from SOME similar problems as BvS. Way too much going on that wasn't handled properly. The entire beginning scene is out of nowhere. The bad guy is introduce and eliminated in like 10 minutes. Ultron himself.....well I'll get to that, but the plot was a bit all over the place too. Ultron's plan was just awful. The dude could shut down the internet, but instead wanted to turn a random city into a comet and destroy earth? Meh. "Not a great plan" as Tony Stark would say. The movie was also WAY too full of jokes. I love humor in the Marvel movies, but there needs to be a balance and the humor needs to be natural and fluid. It wasn't in Ultron. It was a lot of very forced jokes that were just there to have jokes.

I agree with this.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3334 on: May 11, 2016, 08:58:41 AM »
I like Age of Ultron more than the first Avengers movie.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3335 on: May 11, 2016, 09:56:48 AM »
Why?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3336 on: May 11, 2016, 10:02:43 AM »
Why not?  I mean, I definitely prefer the first one, and I think the second had a few shortcomings.  But the second was easily still a really good movie.  I certainly couldn't hold it against someone for preferring it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

« Reply #3337 on: May 11, 2016, 10:11:31 AM »
Oh yea, I totally forgot about the romance angle. The movie really didn't need that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #3338 on: May 11, 2016, 10:28:15 AM »
Oh yea, I totally forgot about the romance angle. The movie really didn't need that.

yeah. pointless.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3339 on: May 11, 2016, 11:06:03 AM »
Why not?  I mean, I definitely prefer the first one, and I think the second had a few shortcomings.  But the second was easily still a really good movie.  I certainly couldn't hold it against someone for preferring it.
I'm not holding it against him.  I was just curious why he felt that way, since the overwhelming majority view is that Ultron is at least somewhat inferior to the original.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3340 on: May 11, 2016, 11:10:56 AM »
I'm just hoping Infinity Wars don't end with The Avengers fighting a huge disposable army...........again. Glad Civil War avoided that one.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3341 on: May 11, 2016, 11:20:40 AM »
I think referring to them as "disposable" is incredibly degrading and insensitive.  #chitaurilivesmatter
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3342 on: May 11, 2016, 11:21:51 AM »
Why?

It's probably more to do with me never really being a huge fan of the first Avengers movie in the first place, rather than me thinking Age of Ultron is the bee's knees. The first movie has plenty good moments, but the overall conflict always felt thin to me, and I always thought the entire end battle is pretty meh. And the phantom menace ending is still a real disappointment.

Overall I just had more fun with Age of Ultron and something about the movie just made it feel like the stakes were higher. Or more personal at least, I'm not really sure.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3343 on: May 11, 2016, 11:22:29 AM »
I think referring to them as "disposable" is incredibly degrading and insensitive.  #chitaurilivesmatter

I was referring to the Ultron robots. #robotlivesdontmatter
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3344 on: May 11, 2016, 11:28:39 AM »

Well at least they took all of those out, instead of them all just dropping dead so that the movie can end.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3345 on: May 11, 2016, 11:43:43 AM »

Well at least they took all of those out, instead of them all just dropping dead so that the movie can end.

Sure. Better, but still not good.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #3346 on: May 11, 2016, 11:45:00 AM »
I'm just hoping Infinity Wars don't end with The Avengers fighting a huge disposable army...........again. Glad Civil War avoided that one.

agree, I said the same earlier. they did CW well in that aspect

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3347 on: May 11, 2016, 11:47:25 AM »

Sure. Better, but still not good.

I actually agree, though I think it will probably be difficult to avoid considering what they're up against. But if they have to have a giant disposable army, I hope they don't use it for the final fight. Have the army lead into the climax instead of being it. There's certainly potential for that to be possible.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3348 on: May 11, 2016, 11:50:39 AM »
I think the challenge Infinity Wars faces is making a credible threat.

Is Thanos going to destroy the universe? No. We all know he isn't. There's no suspense because we know it won't happen.
Is Thanos going to destroy earth? No. Same answer.
Is Thanos going to kill a few of the Avengers? Possibly! Make those the stakes.

Ultron didn't work because we never believed for a second that Ultron could win. Thor 2 didn't work because we didn't believe for a second that the Elf dude would win.

Civil War worked because we had no idea how it would end. It certainly didn't end how I assumed it would.

Infinity Wars just needs a credible threat that the audience isn't confident will be perfectly okay.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #3349 on: May 11, 2016, 11:52:09 AM »
Just spitballing here, but if the way Stark's arc is, he will not create an army. he learned that the hard way. but did/and is learning.  I still say Vision will be huge in Infinity. It will be interesting to see how they/who steps up against Thanos.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3350 on: May 11, 2016, 11:52:50 AM »

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #3351 on: May 11, 2016, 11:55:31 AM »
Anyway. gonna pop in CW again. and pour a bourbon.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3352 on: May 11, 2016, 12:36:36 PM »
oh yeah you had a screener.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #3353 on: May 11, 2016, 01:10:26 PM »
yeah, watermark in the beginning but after 10 seconds gone. I still went and saw it in the theater. but it is still good in my man cave  :laugh:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3354 on: May 11, 2016, 01:14:13 PM »
PM :p

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3355 on: May 11, 2016, 01:19:29 PM »

Is Thanos going to destroy the universe? No. We all know he isn't. There's no suspense because we know it won't happen.

Ultron didn't work because we never believed for a second that Ultron could win. Thor 2 didn't work because we didn't believe for a second that the Elf dude would win.

I thought those movies "worked" just fine.  By your criteria, the vast majority of comic book stories "don't work", since we all know the main characters aren't going to (permanently) die.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3356 on: May 11, 2016, 01:26:01 PM »

I thought those movies "worked" just fine.  By your criteria, the vast majority of comic book stories "don't work", since we all know the main characters aren't going to (permanently) die.
I completely agree with you.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3357 on: May 11, 2016, 01:26:59 PM »
The movies mostly worked, but the finales didn't. Though I'll credit Thor 2 for their creative fight scene at the end.

It's about what's at stake, not just about people dying. Most Superhero movies aren't about the world being in jeopardy, they're about a hero having a journey. When you make huge threats and then hinge those movies on those threats, then those threats have to be credible.

And I felt absolutely nothing for the last act of Ultron. I liked the movie just fine, but there's no excitement when the threat is just so absurd.

Don't get me wrong, if you loved those movies and think the final acts are great, then awesome. I love it when people love comic book movies, especially Marvel movies. I was just expressing a hope I had. I doubt, if my ideas were implemented, it would ruin anything for you, so it's a win-win for you. If they keep doing what they have (not these writers) then you're good. If they raise it to my standards, we're both good. :)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 01:32:46 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #3358 on: May 11, 2016, 01:30:05 PM »
Hence why Stark is so important in the Marvel movie universe.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3359 on: May 11, 2016, 01:53:51 PM »
What's everyone's favourite and least favourite MCU movie so far ?

1. Favourite : Avengers, Ant Man, GOTG

2. Least Favourite : Iron Man 2, Thor, Hulk