Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS*  (Read 298713 times)

Offline Outcrier

Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS*
« Reply #3150 on: April 11, 2016, 01:17:13 PM »
So, Ryan Coogler (Fruitvalle Station,Creed ) is up to direct the Black Panther movie.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline The Trooper

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3152 on: April 11, 2016, 01:49:54 PM »
I would try to get caught up before you see Civil War.  Avengers 2 and IM 3 tie directly into it. 

I'm drawing a blank how IM 3 ties in to Civil War?  IM3 has a little bit of tie in with Avengers 2 (predominantly thru the Jarvis' AI, Iron Legion, bigger role of Iron Patriot/War Machine).  Is there something about Civil War that I'm missing?

Avengers 2 is absolutely mandatory before Civil War.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3153 on: April 11, 2016, 02:03:46 PM »
I would try to get caught up before you see Civil War.  Avengers 2 and IM 3 tie directly into it. 

I'm drawing a blank how IM 3 ties in to Civil War?  IM3 has a little bit of tie in with Avengers 2 (predominantly thru the Jarvis' AI, Iron Legion, bigger role of Iron Patriot/War Machine).  Is there something about Civil War that I'm missing?

IM3 digs pretty deeply into Tony's psyche and what a mess he is after the Battle of New York, which is further explored in Age of Ultron and more in Civil War.  What is going on in Tony Stark's head is a huge factor in this larger, ongoing Marvel story arc.  Notwithstanding the Battle of New York, without the events of IM3, I don't think Stark creates Ultron.  And I don't think he takes the positions he will take in Civil War.  And without the events in Age of Ultron, I'm not sure the events and conflict in Civil War are possible.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 03:07:24 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #3154 on: April 11, 2016, 02:54:47 PM »
Very true. It is a huge part of Civil War. I think as Adami said, watch Ant Man as well.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3155 on: April 11, 2016, 03:02:00 PM »
I actually saw Ant Man in the cinema but don't remember much about it beyond the main plot.

I checked and i've seen every MCU film so far except for Thor 2 Avengers 2 and Iron Man 3.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3156 on: April 11, 2016, 05:02:24 PM »
I actually saw Ant Man in the cinema but don't remember much about it beyond the main plot.

I checked and i've seen every MCU film so far except for Thor 2 Avengers 2 and Iron Man 3.

Unless you're a big Marvel junkie (like me) you can skip Thor 2. You can wiki it and learn the important bits of info without having to watch through it. But you should read through it at least, some important stuff did happen.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3157 on: April 11, 2016, 05:11:21 PM »

IM3 digs pretty deeply into Tony's psyche and what a mess he is after the Battle of New York, which is further explored in Age of Ultron and more in Civil War.  What is going on in Tony Stark's head is a huge factor in this larger, ongoing Marvel story arc.  Notwithstanding the Battle of New York, without the events of IM3, I don't think Stark creates Ultron.  And I don't think he takes the positions he will take in Civil War.  And without the events in Age of Ultron, I'm not sure the events and conflict in Civil War are possible.

I'm with ya on all of that... but isn't that by definition, and indirect tie in between IM3 and Civil War?  Meh... semantics.

Everyone should just follow all the MCU movies.  There hasn't been a 'bad' one in the bunch - just varying degrees of good thru great. 
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3158 on: April 11, 2016, 05:38:24 PM »
I enjoyed Thor 2. I think I'll watch again it right now.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3159 on: April 11, 2016, 05:39:46 PM »

I liked.......about half of it? I just didn't like the bad guy and everything about them. If they had a more interesting villain or problem to overcome, it would have been a lot better.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3160 on: April 11, 2016, 05:58:27 PM »

I liked.......about half of it? I just didn't like the bad guy and everything about them. If they had a more interesting villain or problem to overcome, it would have been a lot better.

They were pretty generic villians searching for a mcguffin, but the dark elves looked cool, and the action was great. I've only seen it once when it came out so maybe my opinion might change. I've never rewatched a MCU movie and thought less of it though.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3161 on: April 11, 2016, 06:01:43 PM »

They were pretty generic villians searching for a mcguffin, but the dark elves looked cool, and the action was great. I've only seen it once when it came out so maybe my opinion might change. I've never rewatched a MCU movie and thought less of it though.

True, they did look cool and the action, especially at the end was really entertaining. The whole mcguffin though was just super contrived and the villain's motivation was just REALLY dumb. I also hated Jane Foster in this movie. I am relieved to find out she's not in Thor 3. Her whole role was just really, well........contrived to repeat myself.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3162 on: April 11, 2016, 06:05:14 PM »

True, they did look cool and the action, especially at the end was really entertaining. The whole mcguffin though was just super contrived and the villain's motivation was just REALLY dumb. I also hated Jane Foster in this movie. I am relieved to find out she's not in Thor 3. Her whole role was just really, well........contrived to repeat myself.

Is Natalie Portman done with the movies?

Thor 2 is not on Netflix btw.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3163 on: April 11, 2016, 06:10:33 PM »

Is Natalie Portman done with the movies?

Thor 2 is not on Netflix btw.

https://www.ibtimes.com/thor-ragnarok-will-not-include-natalie-portman-fans-react-jane-fosters-exit-2351973

I hope so. Giving Thor a human love interest just always felt flat.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3164 on: April 12, 2016, 11:12:34 AM »
When I saw Thor: The Dark World in the theater, I was not very impressed.

It was better when I rewatched it on blu-ray.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3165 on: April 12, 2016, 11:28:29 PM »
First teaser for Dr. Strange is here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwcSki7r9cQ

My reaction.

Yes, a little inceptiony at times, but this movie looks like it's going to use that idea in an amazing way.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3166 on: April 13, 2016, 04:18:49 AM »
That looked sweet !!!

Is Cumberbatch doing an American accent ? He sounds like Hugh Laurie in House. . :p

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3167 on: April 13, 2016, 04:22:05 AM »
I loved the teaser.  Fantastic.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3168 on: April 13, 2016, 11:51:49 AM »
Just started watching Thor 2.

...Wait Chris o Dowd is in this! :lol  The scene where he's having dinner with Natalie Portman and her friend brings that malfunctioning gadget..

He so should have said " have you tried turning it off and on again " :rollin.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3169 on: April 13, 2016, 11:54:17 AM »
Just started watching Thor 2.

...Wait Chris o Dowd is in this! :lol  The scene where he's having dinner with Natalie Portman and her friend brings that malfunctioning gadget..

He so should have said " have you tried turning it off and on again " :rollin.

That would have been..........glorious.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3170 on: April 13, 2016, 12:10:05 PM »
I've never thought Anthony Hopkins was an amazing actor and his performance in this is doing nothing to change my mind..

He just sort of stands around saying lines.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3171 on: April 13, 2016, 12:26:19 PM »
Ughh... I am so tired of the whole " picking someone up by their neck  and cutting to their feet dangling off the floor " shot and it's happened three times in this already...

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3172 on: April 13, 2016, 12:30:23 PM »
Hopkins is perfelctly functional as Odin, but nothing special.

I think he's great actor otherwise though.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3173 on: April 13, 2016, 12:50:36 PM »
Another cliche i'm tired of is - "corrupted good guy has jet black eyes".

Offline Adami

« Reply #3174 on: April 13, 2016, 11:01:19 PM »
So, based on what I've seen, Marvel is doing that thing again where they spoil 10-20 minutes of the movie with TV spots.

I have no idea why they do this. Really hurt Age of Ultron for me. Fortunately I'll be avoiding all of the TV spots. Unfortunately people will post spoilers from them and I'll probably see some accidentally, which I hate.

You have 2-3 really great trailers. Let it be. Want TV spots? Cut out parts of the trailer. We don't need to see that much of the movie before it's out.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3175 on: April 14, 2016, 04:54:31 AM »
So, based on what I've seen, Marvel is doing that thing again where they spoil 10-20 minutes of the movie with TV spots.

I have no idea why they do this. Really hurt Age of Ultron for me. Fortunately I'll be avoiding all of the TV spots. Unfortunately people will post spoilers from them and I'll probably see some accidentally, which I hate.

You have 2-3 really great trailers. Let it be. Want TV spots? Cut out parts of the trailer. We don't need to see that much of the movie before it's out.

:iagree: 100%.  Trying so hard to avoid them, but I have a feeling that resistance is futile.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3176 on: April 14, 2016, 06:50:22 AM »
Some reviews of Captain America: Civil War:

Variety

... a decisively superior hero-vs.-hero extravaganza that also ranks as the most mature and substantive picture to have yet emerged from the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Very much an “Avengers” movie in scope and ambition if not title (the conspicuous absence of Thor and Hulk notwithstanding), this chronicle of an epic clash between two equally noble factions, led by Captain America and Iron Man, proves as remarkable for its dramatic coherence and thematic unity as for its dizzyingly inventive action sequences; viewers who have grown weary of seeing cities blow up ad nauseam will scarcely believe their luck at the relative restraint and ingenuity on display. …

The Hollywood Reporter

... Posing serious questions about violence and vigilantism while reveling in both, Captain America: Civil War is overlong but surprisingly light on its feet. It builds upon the plotlines of previous Avengers outings, bringing together known marquee quantities and introducing the Black Panther and a new Spidey in winning fashion. … The movie’s center does hold, though, in the well-played contrast between Steve Rogers and Tony Stark. Rogers’ anachronistic aspects are no longer the source of punchlines, and Evans persuasively conveys his decency without overstating the matter.

USA Today

... a deep exploration of friendship and family and what sacrifices should be made to hold onto both. And while it’s not the greatest Marvel effort — that honor goes to the previous Captain America: The Winter Soldier — Civil War does pull outstanding performances from its two franchise faces, Chris Evans and Robert Downey Jr. …

The Daily Beast

… Finally, a big budget superhero sequel that manages to be both effortlessly entertaining and utterly sobering, instead of just one of those things—or, as we’ve endured too frequently in the past, neither of them. … every studio in the superhero game benefits from how well Civil War staves off the spandex fatigue …

Forbes

... Captain America: Civil War is a classic case of having your cake and eating it too. There is lots to love and much to appreciate in its thoughtful and deeply personal narrative. At its best, it acts as a repudiation of the MCU playbook. Oh sure, it is as much a table-setter as a stand-alone movie, and there are moments of unabashed fanservice that don’t really serve the film, but it takes its story to its natural endpoint with minimal compromise. If that sounds like a spoiler, it’s not. Because if anything this film relishes the opportunity to rub our noses in our own preordained expectations. …

Empire

... the best Marvel Studios movie yet. …

Also, last night on Jimmy Kimmel, Robert Downey Jr. said "We really knocked it out of the park with this one."

Sounds like we might have a winner on our hands, folks.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3177 on: April 14, 2016, 07:09:24 AM »
I'll go see it then.

I only saw TWS recently so it *should* be fresh in my memory.

p.s. I don't really mind not following the overall MCU story.  the only films i've not seen now are Ultron and Iron Man 3.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3178 on: April 14, 2016, 07:27:51 AM »
I would definitely see at least Ultron before Civil War, and IM 3 if possible.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3179 on: April 14, 2016, 07:44:34 AM »
Do not appreciate having to wait a couple more weeks before this is out.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3180 on: April 14, 2016, 10:58:10 AM »
BTW, it's been slow going, but we have watched the first 9 episodes of Daredevil season 2.

Holy shit.  Can't wait to finish it out.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3181 on: April 14, 2016, 11:18:23 AM »
Finish it out of what ?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3182 on: April 14, 2016, 11:48:32 AM »
Finish out the season.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3183 on: April 14, 2016, 01:18:18 PM »
I haven't started it yet.  Just haven't had the time.  I am still behind on Agents of SHIELD.  But I will hopefully get caught up soon.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3184 on: April 14, 2016, 01:49:50 PM »
BTW, it's been slow going, but we have watched the first 9 episodes of Daredevil season 2.

Holy shit.  Can't wait to finish it out.

Same... I think jingle.son and I just have 1 or 2 more to go.. I think we're on the finale.