Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS*  (Read 301515 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS*
« Reply #3045 on: March 24, 2016, 12:13:18 PM »
I never would have made the connection.

You amaze me every day.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3046 on: March 24, 2016, 12:20:53 PM »
I do what I can.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3047 on: March 25, 2016, 04:52:24 AM »
Finished DD season 2 last night, great stuff again! Think I prefer the first seasons of DD and JJ as they felt a bit more focussed - there was a lot going on in DD2. Some really amazing stuff though, especially Frank Castle.

Will post more details soon but don't want to spoil anything for those not caught up.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3048 on: March 25, 2016, 07:02:14 AM »
I just gotta say that the prison scene in episode nine is totally bananas, in the best possible way  :eek
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #3049 on: March 25, 2016, 12:37:10 PM »
I really love DD s2, but the show needs to move away from fight scenes in hallways. The one in s1 was great, and it was the part that hooked me, but we don't need to revisit that scene again.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3050 on: March 25, 2016, 04:47:27 PM »
I liked both hallway scenes but I agree. The idea of fighting in a small space is intriguing, but there are other places they could go. It would also be interesting to see him fight something else than just normal thugs or ninjas. Maybe as part of Kingpin's return, he manages to frame Daredevil for something and the police is after Daredevil. Maybe they manage to corner him in the subway or something and he has to escape while fighting cops. I mention cops as an example because when he is fighting thugs or ninjas, a lot of the time he just fights them in order to defeat them. If he fights good guys (like cops) in a situation where they are chasing him and he has to escape, there would be more stakes involved and could make for something interesting. If they wanna go the one-take route, I could see a cool subway scene where the camera follows him as he tries to escape with cops coming in from everywhere.

Maybe a lame idea but it was just an idea I had.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3051 on: March 25, 2016, 06:00:25 PM »
Totally digging S2 so far, on Ep 4 now. Punisher is just ridiculously good.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3052 on: March 26, 2016, 07:21:32 AM »
Just finished DD2. I thought it was great once again.

Just got around to finishing Agent Carter this weekend.  What a great series.  It might be my favorite thing Marvel has done thus far, movies or tv.

u srs?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3053 on: March 26, 2016, 11:47:55 AM »
I really like Agent Carter, though I defintely thought season 1 was quite a bit stronger than season 2.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3054 on: March 26, 2016, 12:26:30 PM »
I thought season 1 was alright, but season 2 was just plain bad.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3055 on: March 28, 2016, 10:29:28 AM »
I enjoyed season 1 of AC, but even then I thought it was the least of Marvel's output.

I only caught the first two episodes of season 2, and felt they were a big step down.  The way I understand it, the future of the series is still up in the air, so unless it gets renewed for a third season, I may not even finish out the rest of season 2.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3056 on: March 28, 2016, 12:31:58 PM »
I really liked season 1 of Carter. I thought the writing, acting, story etc were all pretty strong. I'd put on the same level as Agents of Shield (after it got good), but lower than any of the Netflix shows.

Season 2 though I only finished because I'm a completionist. Jarvis and Carter had excellent chemistry as always, but beyond that I really struggled to like much. The story was just....I don't know, just felt random mostly. They ruined a perfectly good villiant in Madame Masque and it went from a mostly serious tone to a more 60's slapstick tone similar to the 66' Batman.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3057 on: March 28, 2016, 12:37:57 PM »
Ooo, that sounds unfortunate.  I may just write that one off.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3058 on: March 28, 2016, 12:42:47 PM »
Ooo, that sounds unfortunate.  I may just write that one off.

I wouldn't. It just wasn't my taste. Others loved it and you might too.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3059 on: March 28, 2016, 02:29:56 PM »
It's definitely less my taste too, but I'm still enjoying it plenty. We've got one episode to go here in the UK.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline 425

« Reply #3060 on: March 28, 2016, 05:13:02 PM »
I kind of didn't bother with Agent Carter season 2. I liked season 1 okay, but didn't think it was anything special—if it hadn't been Marvel, I wouldn't have cared at all. So after I missed the first couple of episodes of season 2, I couldn't be bothered to catch up and decided to just wait for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. to return. Sounds like I didn't miss anything too amazing.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3061 on: March 28, 2016, 05:20:50 PM »
You did.  It was amazing.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

« Reply #3062 on: March 28, 2016, 05:39:30 PM »
You did.  It was amazing.

Can I ask what you thought was so amazing? I ask because I am not a person who enjoys disliking things. I loved season 1, and I love the characters of Carter, Jarvis, Stark, Soosa, that other agent who is a dick at times, Mrs. Jarvis etc. I even liked Whitney Frost, despite her being Whitney Frost in name only. I was super excited for it, but just felt it was too silly and light. That might be my fault since season 1 just set up a different tone. Not sure.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3063 on: March 29, 2016, 08:25:40 AM »
Can I ask what you thought was so amazing?

Sure.  A lot of it has to do with the fact that it was
silly and light
...which is an attribute that I feel has gone neglected.  Serious is fine.  But it seems like most of the Marvel franchises have just been trying to push the envelope too hard to hit the audience over the head with subtle sex, as much pointless profanity as possible without crossing over into R-rating, and sixth grade humor that rather than making me nostalgic for the Marvel universe of Marvel's golden age, it just comes across as more of the same of everything else that is out there.  Carter was mostly just...clean fun.  It was a nice little adventure that I could sit back and enjoy without feeling like it was trying too hard to be dark, cool, or edgy.  It just is what it is.

On another note, I do get your frustration about the Whitney Frost issue.  I didn't know that character, so that didn't hit me the same way it hit you.

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3064 on: March 29, 2016, 11:25:23 AM »
Serious is fine.  But it seems like most of the Marvel franchises have just been trying to push the envelope too hard to hit the audience over the head with subtle sex, as much pointless profanity as possible without crossing over into R-rating, and sixth grade humor that rather than making me nostalgic for the Marvel universe of Marvel's golden age, it just comes across as more of the same of everything else that is out there. 
???

Sorry, boss, not getting that at all.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3065 on: March 29, 2016, 12:12:14 PM »
Yeah, me neither. All Marvel movies have been pretty silly and comedic lately. In Agent Carter it just went overboard.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3066 on: March 29, 2016, 12:33:36 PM »
Hey gang.

So I watched The Winter Soldier on NETFLIX recently and I liked that. Thor The Dark World is on there too. Is that any good ? I may watch it tonight.

If I do - i've very nearly seen all of Phase 1 & 2 beside Avengers 2 and Iron man 3.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3067 on: March 29, 2016, 12:38:04 PM »
I'm surprised we haven't seen any box sets for the movies so far like

PHASE 1 boxset

Iron Man
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Thor
Captain America
The Avengers

PHASE 2 boxset

Iron Man 3
Thor 2
Captain America 2
Guardians Of The Galaxy
Avengers 2
Ant Man

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3068 on: March 29, 2016, 12:38:32 PM »
I liked The Dark World well enough. Better than the first Thor movie in my opinion. Some things don't make any sense, but hey it's just Marvel.

Iron Man 3 is shite though.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3069 on: March 29, 2016, 12:40:15 PM »
I'm surprised we haven't seen any box sets for the movies so far like

PHASE 1 boxset

Iron Man
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Thor
Captain America
The Avengers

PHASE 2 boxset

Iron Man 3
Thor 2
Captain America 2
Guardians Of The Galaxy
Avengers 2
Ant Man
There are, in fact, such box sets of the blu-rays.

If you liked the first Thor film, you'll probably like the sequel.  For me, the Thor films are the lowest-ranking franchise for Marvel so far.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3070 on: March 29, 2016, 12:40:53 PM »
I hated Iron Man 2. Not fussed about 3 but i'll watch it eventually. Heard Avengers 2 is not as good as the first one but i'll see it eventually.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3071 on: March 29, 2016, 12:41:51 PM »
I like Avengers 2 more than the first one.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3072 on: March 29, 2016, 12:50:18 PM »
If you liked the first Thor film, you'll probably like the sequel.  For me, the Thor films are the lowest-ranking franchise for Marvel so far.

Agreed on all of that.  But they are still plenty good. 

And you should get around to Iron Man 3.  Most of the complaint surrounding it seem to come from purists who were not happy about a certain character twist.  I would see it before seeing the second Avengers.  A lot of stuff that is going on in Tony's head that is really relevant for Avengers 2 and Civil War is really laid out in Iron Man 3. 

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3073 on: March 29, 2016, 01:12:18 PM »
Most of the complaint surrounding it seem to come from purists who were not happy about a certain character twist.

I am one of those not happy with that, but I have never read an Iron Man comic book in my life, so in my eyes it's less about staying true to the comics and more about just bad story telling. Having a twist just for the hell of it when just not doing that would've been so much better.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3074 on: March 29, 2016, 01:19:01 PM »
Really?  I thought the twist suited the story perfectly and took it up a notch from the typical straightforward "good guy vs. bad guy" storyline.  Very nice bit of misdirection, if you ask me.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3075 on: March 29, 2016, 01:44:39 PM »
Yeah IM3 was great, big step up from IM2.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3076 on: March 29, 2016, 01:45:06 PM »
Really?  I thought the twist suited the story perfectly and took it up a notch from the typical straightforward "good guy vs. bad guy" storyline.  Very nice bit of misdirection, if you ask me.
I agree.  I understand why some fans wouldn't like the twist happening, but I thought it was done very well.  In fact, I thought IM3 was fantastic.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3077 on: March 29, 2016, 02:39:53 PM »
Few comments.

First, not all Marvel movies are silly and comedic (though they are compared to the DC movies). Winter Soldier was far from silly.

Thor movies.....are pretty meh. Luckily Hemsworth has a ton of charisma and so does Hiddelston, they tend to save it. The second movie is a bit of a mess trying to set up Infinity Wars and not really evoking any other responses since it's just so overdone.

****IRON MAN 3 SPOILERS****

IM3 had a really great first 2/3. I didn't mind the Mandarin thing, though it was kind of dumb. My main problem was the Extemis thing in general. The bad guy breathes fire? They're indestructible except when they're not? It was just wholly inconsistent. The big battle at the end was just a bunch of visual noise and I couldn't care. A bunch of empty suits fighting henchmen we've never seen? Why would I care about any of that? And then turning Pepper Potts into a near indestructible being? Meh. And her clothing is apparently fire proof too.

Like I said, the first 2/3 are great. Loved it. Just lost it at the last third.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 02:52:51 PM by bosk1 »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3078 on: March 29, 2016, 02:59:21 PM »
Sorry for editing your post for you, but since Kowtow said he hadn't seen it, and you gave away what I was deliberately being cagey about so as not to spoil it for him, I felt a spoiler tag was much needed.

****more spoilers****

I hear you about the final battle.  But, really, is that much different than any big battle scene?  I mean, it is almost always lots of unknown minions vs. lots of unknown minions, with the few key players you actually care about duking it out for something much bigger that is at stake.  I didn't really feel like this was much different.  You are right that the emotion isn't in that.  But it creates tension behind the emotion that derives from Tony vs. Mandarin, Tony trying to save Pepper, and Rhodes saving the president.  Right?  :dunno:

Offline Adami

« Reply #3079 on: March 29, 2016, 03:03:33 PM »
So sorry about the spoilers. My bad.

****MORE IM3 SPOILERS*****

However, in this case I didn't care about either side fighting. At least in Avengers movies, I care about the Avengers. In this case both sides were just meh. I think that's the main difference. The rest of the movie was on such a smaller personal level, I wish the ending had kept that tone. I mean, he goes from building stuff form stuff from Home Depot to having 50 empty suits that were never even hinted at before, fighting independently. We're supposed to buy that Stark was controlling all of them mentally while doing his own fighting? I Just didn't buy it. Felt like the studio said "WE WANT BIG EXPLOSIONS AT THE END AND LOTS OF STUFF".
fanticide.bandcamp.com