Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS*  (Read 301353 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS*
« Reply #2975 on: March 12, 2016, 09:12:50 AM »
I don't think the eyes should be a big deal, his eyes have always "moved" in the comics to show expression and I think it's cool to bring that to motion picture Spidey.
Exactly.

The suit looks like almost a combination of Alex Ross's take and John Romita Sr.'s take.  In other words, glorious.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2976 on: March 12, 2016, 10:52:42 AM »
Considering we have gotten 2 versions of Spider-Man with the "dead eyes", it makes sense to go with the animated eyes just to separate it even more.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #2977 on: March 12, 2016, 01:05:02 PM »
I suppose.

The mention of the comic book is irrelevant.  If we're going that route, we can all type up essays on what is and is not in the comics or what is done differently. It just felt a little out of place but like I said, I like it and really don't care but think it'd be funny if there was a joking nod to how or why it's done, that's all.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2978 on: March 13, 2016, 01:16:58 PM »
Civil War will be 2 hours 26 minutes.

Do these movies all have to be so long ?

Especially since Captain America 4 and 5 and 6 are ( most likely ) coming too.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2979 on: March 13, 2016, 01:24:02 PM »
Civil War will be 2 hours 26 minutes.

Do these movies all have to be so long ?

Yes.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2980 on: March 13, 2016, 01:27:23 PM »
Has Hef got the day off ?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2981 on: March 13, 2016, 01:29:07 PM »
Some movies 2 1/2 hours and more go by so fast.  Depending on the movie itself.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2982 on: March 13, 2016, 01:42:17 PM »
I like the long movies. With all I've heard about Civil War, it feels like it will totaly deserve that length.

Online Adami

« Reply #2983 on: March 13, 2016, 02:01:50 PM »
Does Ant-Man need to be 2.5 hours long? No.

Does a movie with 10 or so superheroes need to be 2.5 hours long? ............yes. I have no idea why is even being argued.

Avengers 2 (minus credits) was only a little over 2 hours and everyone (including me) complained that the movie was too rushed.

Lots of characters and lots of story generally requires longer running time.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2984 on: March 13, 2016, 04:03:00 PM »
Yeah there's nothing wrong about Civil War and BvS being 2 ½ hours long at all. If it's just a stand-alone film or origin-film, 2 hours is the sweet spot, but when it's more of a event film, I think 2 ½ is good.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2985 on: March 14, 2016, 08:05:15 AM »
What was this for?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2986 on: March 14, 2016, 08:20:55 AM »
What was this for?

Now playing the role of Hef, Adami.

At least he thought his comment was very Hef like.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2987 on: March 14, 2016, 08:27:34 AM »
What was this for?

Now playing the role of Hef, Adami.

At least he thought his comment was very Hef like.
Oh, the "Yes"?

I usually only do a one-word answer if the answer is "No."

But in this case, the answer is clearly "Yes."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2988 on: March 14, 2016, 09:57:57 AM »
Yes.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2989 on: March 16, 2016, 09:15:25 AM »
I suppose.

The mention of the comic book is irrelevant.  If we're going that route, we can all type up essays on what is and is not in the comics or what is done differently. It just felt a little out of place but like I said, I like it and really don't care but think it'd be funny if there was a joking nod to how or why it's done, that's all.

I hope they just kinda nod to it, then blow it off:

"How do your eyes do that?"
"Do what?"

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2990 on: March 17, 2016, 11:27:24 AM »
Don't anyone (Hef) give me crap about this not being Marvel Studios.

New X-Men trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfBVIHgQbYk

Very much looking forward to this one.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2991 on: March 17, 2016, 11:33:11 AM »
lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

« Reply #2993 on: March 17, 2016, 12:03:07 PM »
I want to be excited. I really do. I loved Days of Future Past. But this really just seems like lots of generic destruction, tension and explosions. I can't find anything there about which to be excited. Especially after Deadpool and the Civil War trailer or suicide squad. It'll probably on a level with BvS.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #2994 on: March 17, 2016, 12:08:10 PM »
I suppose.

I hope they just kinda nod to it, then blow it off:

"How do your eyes do that?"
"Do what?"

Perfect. That would be amazing and also very Spidey-like.

Also very much with Adami. I couldn't be more indifferent towards this movie and I'll be extremely surprised if I like it even half as much as DoFP. It seems like the inevitable phoned in superhero flick before it peters out. But hey, I'll get to watch Olivia Munn in what amounts to really great cosplay (still sour on Apocalypse and think he looks worse than some cosplay, sans CGI) so that's a plus. I just won't be seeing it in the theater, that's for damn sure.

HYYYYYPE for dat Daredevil tonight/tomorrow!!!! I'll definitely at least start it tonight but I have to be up early so I'll have to reign myself in after episode 1. I fucking love binging so much. It needs to be the new standard of release. Fuck waiting a week plus.  :lol
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 12:16:43 PM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2995 on: March 17, 2016, 12:16:12 PM »
I don't know about you two but the last 2 X-Men movies are so much better than the original 3 so I'm looking forward to the 3rd in this run.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #2996 on: March 17, 2016, 12:20:15 PM »
Oh absolutely, by miles and miles. But this new one reminded me a whoooole lot of the first three than it did bringing up feelings of FC or DoFP. It just feels like it's half-assed. Like Adami, I really want to be excited for it but it's just not there because it looks so generic and "here's some superhero action and a big-name antagonist". From the get-go it's been like that, ever since the first few images were shown. I would really love to have my opinion changed though! Unless it turns out that critical and fan acclaim is high after it releases, I'll have to wait till it's out On Demand to see it though.

RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2997 on: March 17, 2016, 12:24:26 PM »
I want to see First Class simply because i've heard the CGI is appalling :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2998 on: March 17, 2016, 12:26:39 PM »
I don't know about you two but the last 2 X-Men movies are so much better than the original 3 so I'm looking forward to the 3rd in this run.

I'm somewhere in between.  1&2 were fan-fucking-tastic; I enjoyed 3 despite it's flaws; 1st Class and DoFP were excellent.  Trailer wasn't anywhere as good as Civil War, but it was certainly miles better than BvS. 

2>1=DoFP>1st Class>3

I fully expect this one to be on par with DoFP and/or 1st Class.  If it's better, great.  I can totally see how the trailer makes it feel more like 3 - especially with it looking so close to the final battle of 3.

Nonetheless, I have complete faith that Singer knows how to make a great X-Men movie.

I want to see First Class simply because i've heard the CGI is appalling :lol

Is there ANYTHING that you don't come in and shit on?  Here, let me cue up the emot I'm sure you're about to use:

:emo:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2999 on: March 17, 2016, 12:28:37 PM »
Most threads actually.

I'm pretty sure I said I liked The Winter Soldier. And Avengers Assemble. And Ant Man and Guardians of The Galaxy. And the first three X - Men films.

Just said i'd like to see First Class because the CG is supposed to be really bad and that would be entertaining in itself. :dunno:

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3000 on: March 17, 2016, 12:31:10 PM »
There is some average CGI in First Class, not as bad as Wolverine: Origins though. I'm excited for Apocalypse mainly because Days of Future Past was one of the best superhero films, and First Class was pretty great too.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3001 on: March 17, 2016, 12:33:01 PM »
Not so sure.  I mean, obviously better than the third one (the turd one).  But a lot of the things I didn't like about the first three haven't been changed or improved upon in the last two.  So it's basically a series that, for me, hasn't lived up to its full potential.  For which I find fault with Fox, a studio which I am convinced doesn't quite know what it's doing, but still gets lucky every once in a while.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3002 on: March 17, 2016, 12:33:06 PM »
It probably didn't help that I was exhausted when I went to see Days Of Future Past but I didn't enjoy it as much as other people...

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3003 on: March 17, 2016, 12:42:01 PM »
The only trailer I've seen for Apocalypse is the post credit scene of DoFP, and based on that I'm excited.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3004 on: March 17, 2016, 12:45:52 PM »
Not so sure.  I mean, obviously better than the third one (the turd one).  But a lot of the things I didn't like about the first three haven't been changed or improved upon in the last two.  So it's basically a series that, for me, hasn't lived up to its full potential.  For which I find fault with Fox, a studio which I am convinced doesn't quite know what it's doing, but still gets lucky every once in a while.

The second X-Men movie I really liked.  The first one was ok.  I agree with the 3rd, it is not good.  The last 2 were very good at least to me.  If anything I wish Matthew Vaughn continued directing instead of Singer.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3005 on: March 17, 2016, 01:01:29 PM »
The only trailer I've seen for Apocalypse is the post credit scene of DoFP, and based on that I'm excited.
Here you go.

New X-Men trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfBVIHgQbYk

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3006 on: March 17, 2016, 01:39:06 PM »
Oh, I know there are new trailers, I just don't watch them anymore. But thanks.

Online Adami

« Reply #3007 on: March 17, 2016, 01:48:22 PM »
I'm very torn on First Class. There were parts that are just amazing and brilliant. The whole Nazi scenes were incredible, especially the bar scene.
McAvoy and Fassbender both nail the roles. Beast is................okay, Hoult is super charming. I hate Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique, and I have no idea why she's even in these movies. She's not a lead character. She's not the leader of the X-Men. She's a sociopathic henchmen who has turned into a megalomaniac. Their version of her has almost no resemblance to the comics. Plus I just can't stand Jennifer Lawrence, with the exception of Silver Linings Playbook. Also Kevin Bacon was a super cool bad guy.

Beyond that, the rest of the hellfire club was awful. Emma Frost was a joke, as was that devil dude who had like 1 line. The new X-Men were awful as well. The butterfly girl, Havoc, and so forth. I liked Darwin, but of course they killed him off.

The plot was good, and I was entertained. Just didn't like the majority of the characters.

Also........Moira McTagert? Why? She's a Scottish nurse, not an American CIA agent. Why not name her like Linda Jones or something? It wouldn't have made an ounce of difference. X-Men just has a tendency to use as many "names" as possible without caring whether or not those names bare any resemblance to their actual characters.

Although the most recent major offense for this was Whitney Frost in Agent Carter. They had NOTHING in common other than something on their face and their name.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3008 on: March 17, 2016, 01:50:34 PM »
I didn't even know there was an actual Marvel character named Whitney Frost.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3009 on: March 17, 2016, 02:23:25 PM »
I'm very torn on First Class. There were parts that are just amazing and brilliant. The whole Nazi scenes were incredible, especially the bar scene.
McAvoy and Fassbender both nail the roles. Beast is................okay, Hoult is super charming. I hate Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique, and I have no idea why she's even in these movies. She's not a lead character. She's not the leader of the X-Men. She's a sociopathic henchmen who has turned into a megalomaniac. Their version of her has almost no resemblance to the comics. Plus I just can't stand Jennifer Lawrence, with the exception of Silver Linings Playbook. Also Kevin Bacon was a super cool bad guy.

Beyond that, the rest of the hellfire club was awful. Emma Frost was a joke, as was that devil dude who had like 1 line. The new X-Men were awful as well. The butterfly girl, Havoc, and so forth. I liked Darwin, but of course they killed him off.

The plot was good, and I was entertained. Just didn't like the majority of the characters.

Also........Moira McTagert? Why? She's a Scottish nurse, not an American CIA agent. Why not name her like Linda Jones or something? It wouldn't have made an ounce of difference. X-Men just has a tendency to use as many "names" as possible without caring whether or not those names bare any resemblance to their actual characters.

Although the most recent major offense for this was Whitney Frost in Agent Carter. They had NOTHING in common other than something on their face and their name.

Agreed on much of this.  For the bolded, blame Fox.  At least the MCU connects the characters and the names pretty well.  However, for all of !st Class's short-comings, it's strengths more than over-compensate.